Old 09-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Speaking of poop...

You all already know that my daughter has autism. Part of her specific needs include issues with sensory integration. Specifically, she's not potty trained. Now, before you start telling me all your magical tips on how to potty train a stubborn child, please know that we have tried it, it didn't work, it's mostly like sensory and, hopefully, she'll get better with therapy.

Anyway, she started school yesterday. Yesterday was a short like orientation day for all the new kindergarteners. Today is the first day of real school. And it started poorly. She needs a harness on the bus because she can't sit still and will wander if given the opportunity, even on a moving bus. We had this put in her IEP, which we went over at the end of May. Transporation has had it since the end of May and they responded that they would be able to accomodate her. Last week, we went to transportation and got her harness, reminding them of her needs. Of course the bus showed up and was not equipped to handle her harness. Transportation called me and told me they would send another bus and then called me about 10-15 minutes later asking me to just take her to school, with the assurance that they would fix the issue for the afternoon bus.

So I did. Then, I went to work, angry, but sure things were getting better. I'm about 1/3rd of the way to work when the school called me again, telling me that my daughter has pooped her pants and that I must come and change her. And I'm like, wut? This is our plan? I told them she wasn't potty trained in May. I was upfront about it. We put a "potty plan" in place. But now every time she has an accident, I need to come in and change her? That's just absurd. Her teacher seemed genuinely surprised that my daughter has issues with this, as did the principal and her IEP coordinator.

And as the icing on the cake, when I got there to change her, she wasn't even poopy. She just has the farts. (She was wet and does have the skills to change herself as long as someone prompts her.)

I sent emails, I tried not to be emotional, just concerned and with an attitude of teamwork on solving the problem. I feel so out of my depth.
Ugh. SOOOOO frustrating.

The school can abso-fucking-lutely deal with cleaning her up if needed. Our Dweezil, also autistic, was not potty trained when he went to kindergarten.

To be fair, we sent him in pullups, not regular underwear, but still, they handled it if needed. I think we did get him into underwear by some time in first grade (by buying a scooter, telling him he had to get dressed to play with it, then whoopsie, we had run out of his daytime pullups).... which resulted in a couple of "sock-drenchers" as the teacher put it before he really got it during the day. Of course, then he developed encopresis which was a treat in and of itself.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Send him pics of your every bowel movement. That'll get him off the grid!
Very good idea.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Ugh. SOOOOO frustrating.

The school can abso-fucking-lutely deal with cleaning her up if needed. Our Dweezil, also autistic, was not potty trained when he went to kindergarten.

To be fair, we sent him in pullups, not regular underwear, but still, they handled it if needed. I think we did get him into underwear by some time in first grade (by buying a scooter, telling him he had to get dressed to play with it, then whoopsie, we had run out of his daytime pullups).... which resulted in a couple of "sock-drenchers" as the teacher put it before he really got it during the day. Of course, then he developed encopresis which was a treat in and of itself.
I'm glad I'm not crazy. We did (are) sending her in pull ups. I also have her bag stocked with extra changing supplies as needed.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM

One of the things that come with running an eCommerce business is having to deal with international orders that are damaged by customs/postal inspectors. I approach those as an opportunity to show off my excellent customer service. At the same time (and not shown to my customers) it irritates the heck out of me. I understand that sometimes they need to open the box to check for illicit goods or drugs or whatever. I've even started taping the shipping label to the side of the box instead of over the flaps so they can cut the box open without damaging the label.

But can they please NOT randomly throw parts of the products willy-nilly into the shipment box like total apes when they're done? (Just got a complaint that a charging cord was missing and the customer also said that the product didn't arrive in the retail packaging that I know I shipped it in.)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
I pit two people.

One is the person who took a crap right outside the side door I usually take out of the parking garage. I know the homeless are people too, and everyone has basic biological needs, but I just thank god I didnít step into any of it despite the surprise.
I used to manage a small warehouse in downtown Memphis. we had a homeless guy who made a sort of nest in the back of the garage out of pallets and cardboard. I allowed him to stay there since he didn't seem to be disturbing anything. then I found out my warehouse guy who arrived early had been cleaning crap off the steps every morning without telling me. I was devastated. 1) that my warehouse guy was cleaning up poop every damn morning and 2) that this guy I took pity on repaid us in such a callous manner. I apologized to my warehouse guy and had the nest dismantled and everything tossed out and continued to dismantle any attempt to build a shelter in the back.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Amazon is beginning to piss me off. One of their main distribution warehouses is not far from here (easily overnight for priority mail or Amazon's own delivery service), and it wasn't so long ago that I would get really fast deliveries. One time shortly before Christmas, I ordered a last-minute gift on Friday night with the free delivery option and, despite the Christmas rush, it arrived on Sunday!

But ever since they started introducing their pay-extra fast delivery options and Amazon Prime, the free service has gone to shit, and it has gone to shit because they deliberately sit on the order -- lately for nearly a week! I ordered something on Sunday and if they had shipped on Monday I would easily have received it by Tuesday. But in fact I just got the shipping notice today, five days later, and of course it will arrive tomorrow. The problem, from Amazon's POV, is that if they had shipped immediately, I would have got it so fast that there would be no incentive to pay the bastards extra for fast delivery.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Emergency room "hurry up and wait around" is very annoying. Granted, it's "just" a broken leg (DH's, not mine), but one would think it wouldn't take at least 2 hours just to get the patient through X-ray.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I ordered something early on Tuesday and selected the free delivery option. As of Friday it still has not shipped. It used to be that it was pickedand shipped the same day or the next. that is apparently not the case anymore. SMH
Old 09-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
I ordered something early on Tuesday and selected the free delivery option. As of Friday it still has not shipped. It used to be that it was pickedand shipped the same day or the next. that is apparently not the case anymore. SMH
Exactly. I used to joke that I could order something from Amazon on the computer in my study, then walk downstairs and it would be sitting on the front porch, which was only a slight exaggeration. Today, they still have the same fast service, but only if you pay through the nose for it! Fucking money-grubbing Bezos apparently feels he still isn't rich enough.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 PM

My face is breaking out, and I just cut myself shaving my legs, for the 1st time in years.

I dunno about "young at heart" but apparently I'm an awkward 14-year-old tonight.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:32 PM

A few months ago, I bought the only splurge of the past ten years. I spent $1400 on a pretty little handmade cypress river boat, because I really wanted it.

In the months since, my husband has bitched about the storage space, put up fake obstacles for use (no, I don't have to license a rowboat,) and generally made my boat a big issue.

I just wanted to float down the river.

I'm selling my boat, because it's not the relaxing thing I hoped for. I just wanted this one thing, dammit.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 AM

I'm sorry

Why are husbands such jealous babies sometimes? What is it to him if you enjoy spending some float time in a beautiful craft? Personally I think I'd keep my boat and distance myself/tune out the husband, but that's with *my* husband, but your situation may not allow that. I'm sorry he's being a selfish pig about your prize.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I promise I'm not a snob, but dammit, I don't want to be buds with the server when I go out to eat. This morning, we went for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Our usual favorite server was off, and the one we got definitely won't make favorite.

She bitched to us about how many servers called out this morning. She bitched about someone in the front dining room who complained about the lack of servers, forcing her to take tables in both sections. She kept calling my husband "Honey" - no, I'm not jealous, but his gray hair doesn't make him someone to be patronized. But mostly, she just kinda dumped all her frustrations on us.

I don't know how we seem to attract such servers. There was one some years back who decided to tell us that she'd just left her husband - was she angling for a bigger tip? It didn't work. Then there was the one who sat down at our table with us! No, just no. And when I was hugely pregnant, there was the one who looked at my husband and said "Oooh, you naughty boy!!!" WTF????

I really don't ask much of servers (goodness knows, I don't want the job.) I expect them to be prompt, accurate, available - that is, easy enough to flag down and not hiding or chatting up coworkers. I appreciate good service. But I eat out to be with friends, not to make new friends with the workers. Is that unreasonable??
Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I don't know how we seem to attract such servers. There was one some years back who decided to tell us that she'd just left her husband - was she angling for a bigger tip? It didn't work. Then there was the one who sat down at our table with us! No, just no.
My favorite was the, um, friendly waitress taking our orders who sat down next to me and put her arm around me.

Across the table, Mrs. J. gave her a look that could've turned the Amazon rain forest into the Sonoran desert.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacunae Matata View Post
I'm selling my boat, because it's not the relaxing thing I hoped for. I just wanted this one thing, dammit.

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice to offer, other than saying that you deserve time (and a cute boat) for yourself.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
A few months ago, I bought the only splurge of the past ten years. I spent $1400 on a pretty little handmade cypress river boat, because I really wanted it.

In the months since, my husband has bitched about the storage space, put up fake obstacles for use (no, I don't have to license a rowboat,) and generally made my boat a big issue.

I don't want to meddle, but this makes me sad. I wouldn't sell the boat. That's all I'm gonna say.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Another goddamn credit card theft, this time for $450. Fucking hell. I guard these like the family jewels and even bought a wallet that blocks scanners. This has to be the fifth time in the last ten years that this has happened. No wonder people just go back to writing checks. Now we have to go through the whole bullshit of changing our auto-billings again and waiting for the new card to arrive. I really believe that some bank employees sell these numbers to crooks.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I don't want to meddle, but this makes me sad. I wouldn't sell the boat. That's all I'm gonna say.
I don't think she can sell the husband, it's kind of illegal even if she was interested.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:10 PM

I had cataract surgery Wednesday and everybody assured me it was not going to be a problem. Well, it's been painful every since, and this morning I woke up in a lot of pain and my eye was watering like crazy. I'm now running around the house wearing dark sunglasses, so I can barely see anything. I have a followup appointment next Wednesday. I hope it gets better before then.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Better yet, float your husband down the river... without a paddle.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I had cataract surgery Wednesday and everybody assured me it was not going to be a problem. Well, it's been painful every since, and this morning I woke up in a lot of pain and my eye was watering like crazy. I'm now running around the house wearing dark sunglasses, so I can barely see anything. I have a followup appointment next Wednesday. I hope it gets better before then.
I wouldn't wait. Call them now.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
I wouldn't wait. Call them now.
The emergency room said to come down if I had a problem. I'll wait till tomorrow and call the doctor's office.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear heís being unreasonable (not to mention selfish). That said, how is he doing, health-wise? I donít recall reading much about his recovery in quite some time. Is that all ancient history for him now?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Is there any food related discussion that Ukelele Ike wonít swoop in, peacock over, than take a big steaming dump on?
like this one where your point is proven? https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=881696
Old 09-08-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Go to the ER. That's not normal at all.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Go to the ER. That's not normal at all.
Agree. Go now
Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Why do these Antifa wankers get away with stuff? Assaulting police, media, slap on wrists. US Rep. raising bail money for them. Sad....
Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM

My doctor ordered a Cologuard test to be sent to my home after my appointment with him last month. I received a letter last week from Exact Sciences requesting me to call their number regarding information they needed from me. I called and they told me they were missing my doctor's signature, and they needed it before they could send me my test kit.

I called my doctors office this morning and told the receptionist I needed the doctor's signature. She asked me, "For what kind of test?"

"For a Cologuard test." "What's that? Can you spell it?"

I spelled it and said, it's to detect colon cancer. Then she asked where it should be sent to. I told her, Exact Sciences and that the doctor would know, since he's the one who ordered it for me.

I thought everyone was familiar with the Cologuard test, especially from all of those commercials with the talking box. It boggles the mind that someone who works in a doctor's office wouldn't know what a Cologuard test is.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've gotten five calls this morning(so far) from people wondering why I called them. This isn't the first time spammers have spoofed my number, and I hate it.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

First world problem: We went home at lunch to watch Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? and it wasn't on. Gone for good? Why me, lord, why meeeeeeeeeeee?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:11 PM

The eye doctor told me the pain is apparently the result of bruising of the iris during the eye surgery. He gave me numbing drops to keep my eye from hurting till I see the surgeon in my followup appointment Wednesday.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:03 PM

^^oh, good. I'm glad you saw a doctor. So funny. I was thinking about you earlier today. Both of my eyes are itchy. Allergies.
I hope you heal well from here.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
^^oh, good. I'm glad you saw a doctor. So funny. I was thinking about you earlier today. Both of my eyes are itchy. Allergies.
I hope you heal well from here.
Thank you. Still have my regular surgery postop appointment Wednesday.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rick, you do NOT want to wait until Wednesday. This is NOT a normal response. Call them. ASAP. I mean it.

(Durrr.... I didn't read the whole thread. Glad you got it checked out)

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 09-10-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The eye doctor told me the pain is apparently the result of bruising of the iris during the eye surgery. He gave me numbing drops to keep my eye from hurting till I see the surgeon in my followup appointment Wednesday.
If you're not still using the clear eye shield, you might want to restart; if your eye is numb, you might injure yourself by accident.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Our mini horse's allergies kicked up so much yesterday she couldn't eat her food. It's the weather; I can barely breathe this shit myself. Husband stayed home with her today to do what he can, which is really nothing. Miss Sugar, if you could just not breathe for a week or so until it cools down, that'd be great...
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Tomorrow my FB feed will be filled with pictures of the twin towers with "never forget" or worse, anti-Muslim hate speech. Good Lord, nobody who was old enough will never forget it, why do people insist on telling us not to forget when it is impossible to do so? I get more sick of the recreational grief every year.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I got to see a new one this year...a relative posted a screen cap from an iPhone (not sure if it was hers or not) with alarms set for the times of each tower strike, tower collapse, and plane crash.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Tomorrow my FB feed will be filled with pictures of the twin towers with "never forget" or worse, anti-Muslim hate speech. Good Lord, nobody who was old enough will never forget it, why do people insist on telling us not to forget when it is impossible to do so? I get more sick of the recreational grief every year.
Last June, we were driving through New York State - along I-88 or something - and were briefly behind someone whose bumper sticker told me all I needed to know about the driver.

"All I needed to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11".
Old 09-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
"Hide this post" is a wonderful feature. I've been using the hell out of it on FB all day.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Last June, we were driving through New York State - along I-88 or something - and were briefly behind someone whose bumper sticker told me all I needed to know about the driver.

And all you needed to know about the driver, you learned from his bumper sticker.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:

"All I need to know about Christianity, I learned from the Crusades"

Says this Christian.

Too many tangles with bureaucracy. I had to call my health insurance company for some information, wound up hearing "Oh, I'll be happy to help you with that" too many times. (Most of them couldn't.) Had to input my ID number twice, along with my zip code, birthdate, and God knows what-all else. Even after that I had to "verify" some of this info with one of the representatives. I get needing to make sure I am the person I claim to be, but this does seem like overkill.

Then I was trying to pay a store credit card. What date would you like to make the payment? it asks. I tell it today. Then it wants to know the amount, and what account I will pay it from, and a couple of other things, and when I agree that everything is fine and it's time to submit the payment a little note appears: "It is past 5 pm on the day you specified. You may not submit a payment past 5 pm and have it credited to your account on this date. Please return to the main page and indicate a different date." What, you couldn't tell me the moment I clicked on today's date that no, this date was off limits?

Blagh.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Then I was trying to pay a store credit card. What date would you like to make the payment? it asks. I tell it today. Then it wants to know the amount, and what account I will pay it from, and a couple of other things, and when I agree that everything is fine and it's time to submit the payment a little note appears: "It is past 5 pm on the day you specified. You may not submit a payment past 5 pm and have it credited to your account on this date. Please return to the main page and indicate a different date." What, you couldn't tell me the moment I clicked on today's date that no, this date was off limits?

Blagh.
That reminds me of the time I had to fill out an online government form, I think it was for Medicare. It was a very long form that took over two hours to fill out, ending with an electronic signature. It asked for my middle initial. Well, I don't have a middle name or initial, so I left it blank and hit "enter." I got an error, flagging the middle initial box. So I attempted to put an X in the box. But no, I had already hit enter, so the entire form was locked. I had to call them and input the entire form for them all over again, by phone, spelling out every single answer. But before I began, I explained to the woman that I don't have a middle name.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Earlier this month, my daughter was holding my 14 year old cat, who has arthritis and does NOT like his feet or legs touched. But his nails were curling under into the pads. So she held him while I tried to clip. I warned her, 'he will struggle, do you want me to wrap him in a towel or something?' No, no, just clip his nails. Son of a gun, I was on the last nail and he BIT her with one of his few remaining teeth (he had to have most extracted at the vet). She shrieked, ran into the kitchen dripping blood, and drove right to the Urgent Care. Was there all afternoon, of course. Furious! But I TOLD HER SO......So a couple weeks ago, I'm sitting on the couch next to the cat, fumbling around for the tv remote, and moved him aside with my hand. Son of a gun, he bit ME this time, in three places!....It was midnight, so I went to the same Urgent Care with a swollen hand and a red line going up from the worst bite. Intravenous antibiotics, tetanus shot, x-rays, two prescriptions of antibiotics to take that almost killed me with side effects, 6 HOURS sitting around, and a big lecture on not waiting after a cat bite...

Last edited by salinqmind; 09-13-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

What in the fuck is wrong with people who insist on making a point by touching my nice, new computer monitors with their grubby hands??

(Also, it took myself and another engineer several minutes to convince the grubby-pawed guy that the "half-inch gap" he kept touching on my screen was, in fact, a half-inch flange.)
Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Damn all shortcut-taking contractors to hell and back. The people who renovated this old house generally did a pretty good job, but when it came to drawer slides, they went cheap. Metal slides, but plastic brackets, which fatigue and break over time. This is about the tenth set I've had to replace, and it's a total pain the ass, as it's all hands and knees work.

First, you have to pry the old brackets out, which they attached with at least six staples (not screws, naturally) each, and without accidentally pulling the mounting strip off the back of the cabinet. Then get the new metal brackets installed, which is nowhere as easy as it sounds, even on the tenth go-around, as it requires torquing your back and trying to get both arms into a constricted space (one hand to hold the bracket, the other to operate the screw gun). Since this has to be done on both sides of the drawer, and assuming that one is not ambidextrous, one side is going to be relatively easy, while the other one is going to be a royal bitch. I'm halfway done, and will now tackle her royal highness.

Last edited by Chefguy; 09-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Too many tangles with bureaucracy. I had to call my health insurance company for some information, wound up hearing "Oh, I'll be happy to help you with that" too many times. (Most of them couldn't.) Had to input my ID number twice, along with my zip code, birthdate, and God knows what-all else. Even after that I had to "verify" some of this info with one of the representatives. I get needing to make sure I am the person I claim to be, but this does seem like overkill.
That always pisses me off when i enter all of that information in an automated system but it doesn't carry over to a real person that the automated system verified me & I need to answer the exact same questions again.

On Sat afternoon we went to a regatta. After the races were over we were walking around a bit, we were on the pier. There was a woman walking her dog on the beach; it did it's business, she looked around & then walked away, thru some of the kids playing on the beach. She walked back to her 'area' about 10 chairs & some coolers. There was only one other person there at that time as the awards ceremony was going on. I walked over to one of the cops on duty & we point her out to him. By the time he walks up to her, she is no longer in her 'area' & has a different male with her. I keep my distance but am close enough to watch, probably 30 yards away.
The guy then comes storming over to me, "Dog shit?!? You're pissed off over dog shit? Why don't you show me where it is so I can clean it up."
Me: "Over there on the beach; she was with the dog, she knows where it is."
Him: <Cursing> Dog shit. <Cursing>
At this point security comes over & takes him away, back to the cop he was just talking to. I left but I sincerely hope his outburst got him at least one ticket, either pooper-scooper &/or disorderly conduct. Seriously if you're not going to make any attempt to clean up after your dog in an area where kids are playing you deserve whatever tickets you get, & don't be mad at me, be mad at your wife/GF/SO/friend who didn't bother to clean up after the dog.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

My sister mailed me the final check from my dad's estate over the weekend with a receipt that I had to sign, have witnessed and mail back. I signed it, had it witnessed, and stuck it in the mailbox yesterday.

This morning I'm heading out of the driveway to go to work and notice that the mailbox is open and the flag is still up. I noticed as I drove past it that it looked empty. I spun around in the driveway of the development across the street and went back up to my driveway. Yup. Empty.

Fuckin' mailbox thieves stole my receipt. Now I have to get my sister to mail me another one. I'm just glad that they didn't get the check.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Y'know. A guy can do ALL THE STUFF, even a lot of really cool stuff (along with the boring, but necessary, stuff)...and it's just a matter of time before it's just.

Normal. To everybody around him. Just the normal order of things.

And I haven't used the phrase "taken for granted" in this situation, because I don't take it lightly. I've been there. But I'm on the verge.

Time for a break. I'm going to finish fixing up a bike, and re-build an engine on a dead tiller I picked up off the curb a couple summers ago.

Need to recharge and do some stuff stirictly for me.
Old Today, 02:48 PM

Well done for stopping before you hit the verge.

When you're recharged, let us know what's up.