Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Wow did I find one! To be fair, I don't know if this person is a "liberal" but it is definitely a Stupid Democratic Idea of the day/month/year.

Babysitting legislation in CA:

Quote:
Under AB 889, household “employers” (aka “parents”) who hire a babysitter on a Friday night will be legally obligated to pay at least minimum wage to any sitter over the age of 18 (unless it is a family member), provide a substitute caregiver every two hours to cover rest and meal breaks, in addition to workers' compensation coverage, overtime pay, and a meticulously calculated timecard/paycheck.
Maybe there is something good here that I missed, but it sure looks like a huge pain in the ass to me. It does look like its for 18 year olds who aren't family members, so maybe its not that big of a deal, but it looks like a solution looking for a problem.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otternell View Post
Wow did I find one! To be fair, I don't know if this person is a "liberal" but it is definitely a Stupid Democratic Idea of the day/month/year.

Maybe there is something good here that I missed, but it sure looks like a huge pain in the ass to me. It does look like its for 18 year olds who aren't family members, so maybe its not that big of a deal, but it looks like a solution looking for a problem.
So in other words, you're in favor of a tacit exemption to labor laws continuing for working class adults? The bill's fine, especially as it doesn't affect the primary babysitters of the world (namely teenagers).
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I can't find the provision for a "substitute caregiver every two hours," either, which sounds insane.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriel View Post
So in other words, you're in favor of a tacit exemption to labor laws continuing for working class adults? The bill's fine, especially as it doesn't affect the primary babysitters of the world (namely teenagers).
No, I'm just concerned that putting the documentation burden on parents, not just commercial enterprises, becomes troublesome. The fact that the bill excludes teenagers is definitely a saving grace, and I definitely agree that all members of the working world have those rights. But I am also cognizant of unintended consequences, and it seems like this bill is opening a can of worms that won't be easily closed or dealt with. Is there rampant abuse of personal care staff in private homes? I was not aware that this was a significant problem that needed specific legislation. Does current legislation giving workers those rights specifically exclude these types of employees?

Edit: Vinyl Turnip, that was one of the clauses the article mentioned that really startled me, and made me question whether this was really a good idea.

Last edited by otternell; 09-02-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clartiy
Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriel View Post
So you are saying that when our next door neighbor watches our kids for a few hours every couple of months, we should be find a second babysitter to come and relieve her for a break every two hours? She isn't a nanny, she just like to babysit occasionally.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it's mentioned in that particular bill, but presumably the "every two hours" is a slightly spun interpretation of the California labor law that an employee is entitled to a 10-minute break for every 4-hour work period, and that it ideally should be taken as close to the halfway point as possible. Also that an employee who works five or more hours is entitled to a 30-minute lunch break.

If they don't get all the 10-minute breaks they're entitled to for the day, the employer is supposed to pay an extra hour's wages.

Cite
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

What you're quoting is an editorial by a right-wing Republican state legislator. I'm not going to slog through all the language of the bill, but I'm willing to bet that the whole thing is a bunch of crap. The bill mentions "nannies" which are a completely different thing than a babysitter. Nannies are a full time job every day, not working for three hours on a Friday night.

I'm 95% confident in saying that this bill does not apply to what most people consider "babysitters."
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassia View Post
So you are saying that when our next door neighbor watches our kids for a few hours every couple of months, we should be find a second babysitter to come and relieve her for a break every two hours? She isn't a nanny, she just like to babysit occasionally.
Are you employing her as a babysitter? You don't mention money changing hands.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
What you're quoting is an editorial by a right-wing Republican state legislator. I'm not going to slog through all the language of the bill, but I'm willing to bet that the whole thing is a bunch of crap. The bill mentions "nannies" which are a completely different thing than a babysitter. Nannies are a full time job every day, not working for three hours on a Friday night.

I'm 95% confident in saying that this bill does not apply to what most people consider "babysitters."
Good point, I did notice that the language was too far over the top to truly be an objective source. I'm not particularly interested in reading the bill either, so you are correct that this may not qualify as a "stupid" idea, perhaps it was just described in a stupid over-the-top way. It certainly sounded like a stupid bill in the article, perhaps I was hasty.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Stupid fucking liberals. :twak:

Why don't they make it so us parents that watch our kids all day get a break every two hours?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
Stupid fucking liberals. :twak:

Why don't they make it so us parents that watch our kids all day get a break every two hours?
Nobody's stopping you.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
BANNED

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/join-attack-wire-today

It just speaks for itself.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Yeah, how dare they offer to give you the facts?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM

RNATB, you don't understand. It is every American's God-given right to attack the President, with or without facts. And it's been that way every since George W. Bush left office.

Don't buck tradition, friend.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I'm failing to see the stupid there.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I'm failing to see the stupid there.
You're looking at the link and not the poster.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
What could be stupider than arming yourself to defend against attacks on a president you support using a few facts?

Or is it just stupid to think the Right-wing attacks aren't fact resistant?

Last edited by Knorf; 09-19-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM

I seem to recall a GOP website not all that long ago requesting ideas to make the country better. That was pretty stupid, insofar as asking the Internet for ideas without moderation is always a bad idea.

Although: dinosaurs!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It just speaks for itself.
Imagine it didn't. What would you say then?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace309 View Post
Imagine it didn't. What would you say then?
Res ipsa loquitor comes to mind.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Let's suspend elections. Oh, yeah, that's a real good idea.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
"I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that," Perdue is quoted as saying. "You want people who don't worry about the next election."
That's pretty good stupid.

C'mon kids, lets give Clothahump a cheer-- He's tryin' so hard.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

The Little Engine That Never Had A Fucking Prayer.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Let's suspend elections. Oh, yeah, that's a real good idea.
Yup. Stupid. Very stupid.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 AM

Never mind that she quite clearly explained that it was a joke.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM

The best part is that her hyperbole is addressing the very real stupidity of the Teabaggers driving our economy over the cliff by paralyzing the Republicans with threats of primaries if they set on toe over the aisle to actully accomplish something.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Joke or not, it was STILL stupid. Clothy's got so little to work with, I'm going to give him this one.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Everyone "explains it was a joke" after they realize they said something stupid. Or, more accurately, their campaign managers/press officers do it for them.

We don't give Palin, Bachmann, et al a pass, so there's no reason for anyone to give Bev Purdue one.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM

It's like Poe's law, but backward. Lenore's law?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

As an NC Democrat who (held his nose and) voted for Purdue, I will freely admit it was stoopid.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM

So whose idea was it to ban lawn darts? Was that a stupid liberal idea?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nader View Post
That's pretty good stupid.

C'mon kids, lets give Clothahump a cheer-- He's tryin' so hard.
Yeah, and there is so goddam much stoopid to choose from, it's overwhelming. But I appreciate the kind words.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Here, let me help. According to that brilliant liberal light, Jeaneane Garofolo, Republican support for Herman Cain is racist. I presume she feels the same way about Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice and every other black Republican in the country as well.

As time goes by and more and more blacks enter the upper ranks of Republican politics, this stupid and dishonest tactic by the left becomes more and more laughable.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...rman_cain.html
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Stupid Starving idea of the day minute: pretending Jean Garofalo said something she didn't. From your own link:
Quote:
Herman Cain is probably well liked by some of the Republicans because it hides the racist elements of the Republican party. Conservative movement and tea party movement, one in the same.

People like Karl Rove liked to keep the racism very covert. And so Herman Cain provides this great opportunity say you can say 'Look, this is not a racist, anti-immigrant, anti-female, anti-gay movement. Look we have a black man.'
She's not saying Cain supporters are racist, moron. She said Republicans like Cain because it makes the party seem less racist.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Here, let me help. According to that brilliant liberal light, Jeaneane Garofolo, Republican support for Herman Cain is racist. I presume she feels the same way about Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice and every other black Republican in the country as well.

As time goes by and more and more blacks enter the upper ranks of Republican politics, this stupid and dishonest tactic by the left becomes more and more laughable.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...rman_cain.html
Quote:
Janeane Garofalo: "Herman Cain is probably well liked by some of the Republicans because it hides the racist elements of the Republican party. Conservative movement and tea party movement, one in the same.
Well, she did use the terms "probably" and "some of the Republicans"

So at least she's not guilty of painting an entire group with a broad brush, unlike some folks here. ("stupid and dishonest tactic of the left") I thought that she was some kind of comic and/or actress. I did not realize that she spoke for the Democrats or even for the entire "left".
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
BANNED

Rightys grasping at straws . What is new? SOS.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Well, she did use the terms "probably" and "some of the Republicans"

So at least she's not guilty of painting an entire group with a broad brush, unlike some folks here. ("stupid and dishonest tactic of the left") I thought that she was some kind of comic and/or actress. I did not realize that she spoke for the Democrats or even for the entire "left".
How can you possibly, on this board where conservatives, Republican and Tea Partiers come in for broad brush criticism and false accusations multiple times hourly, complain about this broad brush characterization toward the left, which, as far as I'm able to determine, is unanimus in attempting to portray conservatives and Republicans as racist?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Here, let me help. According to that brilliant liberal light, Jeaneane Garofolo, Republican support for Herman Cain is racist.
Quote:
How can you possibly, on this board where conservatives, Republican and Tea Partiers come in for broad brush criticism and false accusations multiple times hourly, complain about this broad brush characterization toward the left, which, as far as I'm able to determine, is unanimus in attempting to portray conservatives and Republicans as racist?
These two claims are not the same.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Leaving aside the fact that (as I've already pointed out) you clearly didn't read what she said... how can one person be unanimous, exactly?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When asked for comment, Perdue expressed surprise at the outcry over her remark, which she again insisted was a joke.

"It wasn't even funny," she said. "That stuff usually kills with the Right!"
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Wow. You never cease to amaze me. Just a few posts ago, someone quotes Garafalo as saying "probably" "some" "elements" and yet you continue to polarize the left.

I think you need to reexamine the effort involved in "as far as I'm able to determine."
Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
BANNED

I think you need to reexamine who that "someone" was.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It was me. Did I not quote her correctly as using the terms "probably" and "some of the Republicans"?

Is there something about me personally that renders my quotations suspect?

And when you say
Quote:
How can you possibly, on this board where conservatives, Republican and Tea Partiers come in for broad brush criticism and false accusations multiple times hourly, complain about this broad brush characterization toward the left
First, although I'm sure people here do a broad brush to criticize the right, I"m confident it does not take place "hourly". However, I will assume this is hyperbole. I guess that means I am allowed to use hyperbole in the future. Noted.

Second it's still incorrect to broadly generalize that because an actress said something, that means that the entire left embraces it. It does not matter if it has been done the other way around - it is still wrong.

Because an actress said something, this means it is unanimous among the left? You're joking, right?

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 09-29-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think the problem is the general deficit in the quality of employment for domestic workers, as matters currently stand in California.

Your average babysitter for a "let's go to a movie this Friday night" casual gig is not typically going to be over eighteen. That's a high school girl's (or boy's) job.

Senator Lamalfa is being disingenuous and misdirectional. Also, I find it charming that he has no comments enabled on his page.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant. Garofalo has a reputation of being pretty darn liberal and yet her brush is liberally sprinkled with limiting qualifiers. That itself is evidence that the left isn't blindly characterizing the right "unanimously".
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
BANNED

So I take it then that you don't believe the left regards Republicans as racist?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
So I take it then that you don't believe the left regards Republicans as racist?
Are you asking one person to answer on behalf of the entire left?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Americans are racist. The Republicans are just better at exploiting it for electoral purposes.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

The left's stance, as far as I've ever been able to tell is not that all Republicans are racist, but that, on the whole, there are far more racists in the Republican party than there are in the Democratic Party.

I can see how a lesser intellect might interpret that as "The Left thinks we're all racists!" ... but there you go.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Exactly. Republicans are not typically racist, but racists are typically Republican.

I know the nuance will be lost on SA.