Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Dobbs Dobbs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 341
Back in the day, I came down with Bell's palsy. Basically, one half of my face didn’t move. And because half of my mouth had no movement, and no resistance to being moved, eating and drinking was likely to be ugly and messy. I learned very quickly that the only way to drink, other than a water fountain, was to use a straw. Every drop of liquid went thru a straw - coffee, soda, beer, wine, or anything else in a bottle, can or glass, and yes, you get strange looks drinking beer thru a straw. Sure, most establishments might have straws available, but how about for a coke from a vending machine at work? Or at home. Well. I learned to always have a straw at hand, and I learned fast. For about 5 weeks, a few straws were about my person, or close at hand, or I didn’t drink.

Sometimes, the world isn’t as comfortable as you’d like. Asking the world to accommodate your special needs, when there a simple solution you can adopt for yourself, is just lazy.

Fun fact - when you go to the emergency room because half of your face isn’t moving, you go right to the front of the line, even past people that are bleeding.
  #52  
Old 07-13-2018, 06:56 PM
D'Anconia D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,043
Be reasonable. How many people are actually going to recycle their coffee lids?

That was for running coach, not Dobbs

Last edited by D'Anconia; 07-13-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Clarification
  #53  
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM
PoppaSan's Avatar
PoppaSan PoppaSan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Up nort'
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
..

I'd stay downwind of this co-worker.
You do and you'll stand alone. Personally I'll be upwind.
  #54  
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 35,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Be reasonable. How many people are actually going to recycle their coffee lids?

That was for running coach, not Dobbs
What's that got to do with the validity of your cite? They deliberately failed to mention the fact the lids are more likely to be recycled than the straws.
Can you say agenda?
  #55  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,051
good God, you people are grasping at threads, clinging to fragments, tilting at windmills, gesturing at noodles, etc
  #56  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 PM
D'Anconia D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
What's that got to do with the validity of your cite? They deliberately failed to mention the fact the lids are more likely to be recycled than the straws.
Ok, so one is on the subway, train, walking around downtown, or even in the office, where the heck are they likely to recycle their plastic lid?
  #57  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:09 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
Sometimes, the world isn’t as comfortable as you’d like. Asking the world to accommodate your special needs, when there a simple solution you can adopt for yourself, is just lazy.
In fairness, this isn't asking for a special accommodation. It is asking that a now freely provided item almost everywhere not be taken away.
  #58  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 AM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
To be fair, I think it's not entirely 'ignored/forgotten' as often as it's "I had no idea/how would I have known that". The straw issue is a perfect example. Up until about a week, I never, ever would have guessed that getting rid of straws would be any more of an issue for disabled people than anyone else.
Some people can't lift a cup.

There's more to it of course, but that's a start.
  #59  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Nope! I said stop!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,120
Sometimes you can't win, no matter what. [Environment vs disabled access in straws.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Ok, so one is on the subway, train, walking around downtown, or even in the office, where the heck are they likely to recycle their plastic lid?


I don’t know where you live, but the two places I’ve lived over the last decade+ has recycling on city streets, by the subways, in my offices etc.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 07-14-2018 at 06:31 AM.
  #60  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM
wonky's Avatar
wonky wonky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DC area
Posts: 30,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
They deliberately failed to mention the fact the lids are more likely to be recycled than the straws.
Can you say agenda?
I read that as the KIDS are more likely to be recycled. Maybe a little Veruca Salt moment.
  #61  
Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 24,715
Most of those drinks already come with a plastic lid and a straw right? So now Starbucks is just eliminating the straw and slightly altering the lid. If you’re worrying who is going to recycle the lids and how, well, why haven’t you been worried about it before?

I think that having some straws available upon request is a good solution. But I also think problems will arise the same way there are problems with “service animals” now too. It’s a legit solution for legitimately disabled people and able-bodied people will take advantage of the rules and loopholes, creating a problem for those who have an actual need. People will know there’s straws available and request them even if they don’t have a legitimate need. Then straw use will go back up and bans will be reconsidered and it won’t be the fault of “entitled disabled people.”
  #62  
Old 07-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 13,920
I seriously don't understand the issue. Plastic straws have been ubiquitous since the 1980s. People used straws before that. IIRC, paper straws with a bit of wax on them were common before that. I have zero problem going back to that. If I find that wax coated paper straws are an issue I would buy a reusable straw.

Maybe it is time to invest in Crazy Straws....
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017