#251  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 39,492
Good morning from a non-nuclear-devastated Hawaii. 70 degrees in Waikiki at 9:35am. The weather forecast promises a pleasant day with skies unobscured by missiles.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #252  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM
swampbear swampbear is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Leesburg, GA
Posts: 28,714
Howdy Y'all! We deheathenated, had a nummy N.O.L. and nappage has been achieved. All in all not a bad chilly Sunday. Tomorrow is men's night over to the church house so I took steaks outta da fridge and will marinate 'em as soon as they are thawed which won't be too much longer. Of course, beer is chillin'.
  #253  
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 39,323
Got a big pot o'sketty sauce simmering away. I need to cook it down so it's thicker than the last batch. The dishwasher just finished its load, and the dog's bedding is in the washer. I disassembled her crate to clean the bedding and vacuum the great gobs of black hair along the baseboard, only to discover that my vacuum doesn't suck. Dammit.

Suggestions for vacuums that are good for pet hair? And not obscenely expensive? Thanks in advance. Off to research...
  #254  
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Sahirrnee Sahirrnee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8,334
We had pizza for lunch, and it will also be dinner and breakfast for tomorrow.

I finished helping the son with his graphic design work. It was so easy I think he thought he was doing something wrong. The first steps were basically open photoshop, find a picture, save it as 'name' 'type of file'. I told him they are going to assume you know nothing and start there.

{{{Spidey}}} there are days that just aren't worth waking up to.

:-P~~ to you Sam

Congrats on new fridge Sunny.
I want a new one but I can't justify it when this one is only three years old and works fine. I would rather have more freezer space and less fridge.

Flytrap you would do that to your neighbors?

I finally got one load of laundry done. I don't know how many times I walked out to the kitchen with the intent to start the washer, got sidetracked and forgot all about the clothes.
  #255  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM
carnivorousplant carnivorousplant is online now
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 56,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
Flytrap you would do that to your neighbors?
Well, I have a Little List of folks I would do it to.
  #256  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,162
Mooommm I recommend the Dyson machines. They are obscenely expensive though. They work better than anything else I've tried. I've burned out motors on other machines. CostCo has better than normal pricing on special units.
  #257  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 8,682
But Moooooooom, it ain't a movie without popcorn! But I do agree with you that this was not a very good Star Wars movie.

And are you say the vacuum suck sucks?

spidey, and that is why I don't go out running in freezing weather (for that matter, I don't run in 70F weather either). Hope the egg sammich was good...

Sunny, enjoy the new refrigerator.

flytrap, congrats on the new generator, but you are right, once a major investment like that is made, it will never be used (at least for it's intended purpose).

Doing this posting is the pinnacle of my activity for Sunday afternoon. After such exertions I probably need to go take another nap...
__________________
Waking a person unnecessarily should not be considered a capital crime. For a first offense, that is.
**"The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"
  #258  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
missred missred is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Just east of Music City
Posts: 6,007
Moooom, my Eureka works pretty well with a long haired human and a short haired dog. It is bagless, has a hepafilter and on board tools that will pick brads, beads and paper the size of confetti out of carpet. Not a high dollar model, but it suits my needs.

Heathenated and went to Amerigos with the rest of the heathens after. Had a bloody, a rocket, goat cheese, walnut and salmon salad and a cup of butternut squash soup. Yum!
  #259  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:22 PM
swampbear swampbear is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Leesburg, GA
Posts: 28,714
I feel like I could go to sleep right now but I know I can't. OK, I could, but I'd be up at three a.m. I did accomplish haulin' the biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig trash can all the way down to the road for pickup tomorrow, so yay me for that. 'Tis cold out but a warm up into the 60s is promised this week. Oh, and I now have steaks marinatin' for tomorrow night. All that activity! No wonder I'm tahrd!
  #260  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 39,323
Four sacks o'sketty sauce in the freezer.

We're leaning towards the Dyson - lots of money but lots of good reviews and recommendations.

Meanwhile, my weekend is winding down. <sigh>
  #261  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 39,492
Took some clothes to wash up to the laundry area on the roof. HOT up there today with no clouds in the sky. Honolulu is showing only 80 degrees, but it has to be more than that in Waikiki. We routinely spike a couple degrees over the reading. I was sweating up there. BRIGHT, almost blindingly so.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #262  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 PM
kopek kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 12,954
THE VIKINGS WON!!!!!!!!

THE STEELERS LOST!!!!!!!!!!


THERE IS A GOD
AND HE LOVES ME





I did a voluntary shift this morning for our delivery arm standing in 7 degree weather passing out the routes to the drivers for 4 hours. Heck, being the lone Siberian on the staff I figure I was genetically engineered for the job. Actually it was a ton of fun; the ZL side of the operation is still like we used to be all over with leaders instead of bosses. And it was a pleasure to give up a day off to help them out.
  #263  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM
carnivorousplant carnivorousplant is online now
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 56,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post

flytrap, congrats on the new generator, but you are right, once a major investment like that is made, it will never be used (at least for it's intended purpose).
But if I could hook it up to Dogbutt's or Spiderbutt's ears...Perhaps both of them in series, or parallel. Experiment!
  #264  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 39,492
Vikings ... Steelers ... Basketball season?
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #265  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Spiderman Spiderman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 9,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
spidey, and that is why I don't go out running in freezing weather (for that matter, I don't run in 70F weather either). Hope the egg sammich was good...
The run was fine, I was dressed appropriately ('cept for leaving my sunglasses at home) & was comfy out in it. It was the SNAFU of where to eat afterwards that was the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Took some clothes to wash up to the laundry area on the roof. HOT up there today with no clouds in the sky. Honolulu is showing only 80 degrees, but it has to be more than that in Waikiki. We routinely spike a couple degrees over the reading. I was sweating up there. BRIGHT, almost blindingly so.
How blindingly bright, like exploding missile blinding bright?


Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
But if I could hook it up to Dogbutt's or Spiderbutt's ears...Perhaps both of them in series, or parallel. Experiment!
What an excellent idea; however, you'll only have limited time when you have us together, so I recommend testing it out before hand. Why don't you hook it up to both of your ears. Don't forget, it'll work better if you're in the filled bathtub at the time. You're welcome.
  #266  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 39,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
How blindingly bright, like exploding missile blinding bright?
So bright and toasty warm that maybe there was a missile strike after all.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #267  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Spiderman Spiderman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 9,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
So bright and toasty warm that maybe there was a missile strike after all.
You may just be subject to a hand to the head strike...even if the other Mumpers don't chip in for airfare, because I could use a getaway.
  #268  
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 PM
dogbutler dogbutler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Raleigh N.C.
Posts: 12,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
PBR used to sponsor our team; gots many cheers from the college kids over our kits, which had their logo prominently placed over lower chest/stomach & the same place on the back.


This day is cursed & it's cost me quite a bit of $ for nothing!
First, got an email yestidy afternoon that they had postponed the race so I paid for a AirBnB/motel room last night that I never even saw. I emailed the guy about moving the date but he never got back to me. If he had responded & agreed to give me even some amount back I'd rebook with him for next weekend; instead, I shall trash him in his review (for not responding).

Run club was a clusterF as to where to eat afterwards. We were going somewhere cheap that wouldn't really accommodate us (I don't know why it was chosen as it's just not large enough; it's more of a takeout place). Then the guys going on the longest run were the ones trying to change location - ummm, it's 12 degrees, we're not standing around the parking lot, all sweaty, & getting colder waiting for you. One dresses to run about 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient air temp so we're now underdressed & (sweaty) wet in frigid, windy weather.
Those of us that were there tried to go to a different place but I didn't have enough $ on me (wallet was in the car; don't have a pocket for it in running gear) so I get some more $. Place 2 is an expensive buffet & they don't have room for us so we go to a third place (Wegmans supermarket) that is supposed to have a breakfast/brunch buffet. They have a regular lunch buffet but as it turns out, they don't have a breakfast buffet so a couple of us get egg samiches. As I finish mine, they decide on a 4th place to eat. Yeah, fine, enjoy, I ate. When I get out of the car again at my next stop, I realize that the extra $30 that I took out is now gone. Cost me $35 for a egg samich that we ate in < 5 mins.

All in all, I've spent a lot of money for nothing today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Doggio Yay for not working. Do NOT answer your phone.
It didn't righ, but I do have to answer. I'm the boss.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
THE VIKINGS WON!!!!!!!!

THE STEELERS LOST!!!!!!!!!!


THERE IS A GOD
AND HE LOVES ME





I d
The 2nd part is good, anyways.


Canes lost. Ugh.
  #269  
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,162
We saw The Post. It turned out to be a movie about a woman assuming her place in a man's world, rather than a story about the events of the times.

More chocolate now.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017