Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
This most recent Chicago shooting seems to me to another case of citing the wrong incident in support of your cause. I don't know what could be considered controversial about this one. That body cam video is pretty clear.
I haven't seen it yet, but in some cases things are controversial because we don't have all the information needed to accurately assess events. This seems to be one of those cases, from accounts I've read.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM

I just watched the video embedded within this AP story. There is no audio from the body cam, but the description of events from someone who seems to be a witness doesn't seem to match with the video footage. I thought Superintendent Johnson did a great job with his decision-making, his consultation with the family of the deceased and his interpretation of the police department's mission and purpose.

I looks like there are more cameras with footage tho, and possibly 2 with audio, so there may still be more new information coming forth. We'll see eventually, eh.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-16-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
This most recent Chicago shooting seems to me to another case of citing the wrong incident in support of your cause. I don't know what could be considered controversial about this one. That body cam video is pretty clear.
But what initiated the interaction (can't watch video at work). From a quoted news article above:
Quote:
exhibiting characteristics of an armed person
What the heck does that mean? And why isn't the NRA jumping in here to defend the 2nd Amendment?
Old Today, 10:58 AM

Minneapolis for this one:
Quote:
Three black teenagers say they feared for their lives when they were confronted by Minneapolis Park Police officers who were responding to a bogus 911 report that they were armed.

The June 10 incident at Minnehaha Park drew widespread attention after a bystander recorded part of it and posted a video to Facebook that’s been viewed over 2.8 million times.

The officers were responding to a female 911 caller who falsely reported that four teens were following her boyfriend and wielding knives and sticks. Park police released the four after finding they were unarmed and hearing witness accounts that contradicted the caller’s story. The department has since said the call was “misleading” and apologized to the boys.

At a news conference Monday called by the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, 14-year-old Aden Aden said he and his friends were just trying to have fun when a white kid confronted them. Witnesses have corroborated that account.
Quote:
The woman shooting the video says she saw a boy about 17 years old confront the younger boys and threaten them with a knife. She points out that one of the black teens is being bitten by mosquitoes and that the officer won’t allow him to put his shirt back on. Two of the boys can be seen in the video with their hands cuffed behind their backs as they ushered into the back of a patrol car.

The families of the boys, who are Somali-American, are considering legal action, said Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota CAIR chapter, who called the 911 call a hate crime
Not just a hate crime, IMO; this was attempted murder.

And the cops acted like fucking idiots; thank Og they didn't fucking kill anyone.

Here's the video.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Today at 11:02 AM.
Old Today, 11:44 AM

Perhaps the boys were "exhibiting characteristics of an armed person"?