Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM

John Boehner says "everybody go get high"

Okay, maybe not in those exact words
Quote:
Former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner said Wednesday he has had a change of heart on marijuana and will promote its nationwide legalization as a way to help veterans and the nation’s deadly opioid crisis.

The Ohio Republican, an avid cigarette smoker, has joined the advisory board of Acreage Holdings , a multistate cannabis company. The company also announced that former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld has joined its advisory board.

Weld, a Republican as governor, ran in the 2016 presidential election on the Libertarian Party ticket that was headed by legal-pot advocate Gary Johnson.

Boehner said in a statement his position “has evolved” from opposing to supporting legalization of marijuana.

“I decided to get involved because of the struggles of our country’s veterans and the opioid epidemic, after learning how descheduling the drug can potentially help with both crises,” said Boehner, now 68.
I'm sure it was a purely self-less decision you made, Mr. Boehner; of course it was.

Still, I think this is evidence that the tide has now solidly turned in favor of legalizing weed nationwide. Even those who don't like weed like money and weed=money. It's a helluva lot easier to sell the stuff to people than to stop people from selling stuff to people, especially when people want the stuff. "Oh no! How'm I gonna get rid of all these drugs?" no one wondered ever.

Last edited by Bone; 04-11-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Changed thread title from Jim to John at OP request
Old 04-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Who's Jim Boehner? Is he John's brother or something?

Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I think Jim's the one who did that sitcom with that hot girl from Ally McBeal.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I read the OP and thought, "I guess it is 4:20 somewhere..."
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM

I am not one to blindly follow the lead of a public figure, but when someone of his stature, wisdom, and probity shows the way forward, well, I am willing to consider changing my habits. Anyway, you pour the marijuana into a glass, and then add mixer and ice cubes? Or what, exactly?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:

DYAC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I read the OP and thought, "I guess it is 4:20 somewhere..."
hang on lemme load a bowl
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Well, of course it's not a selfless decision but I'm sure the guy has plenty of "advisory board" offers and he chose this one. Unless you mean he's a total pothead.

Maybe Boehner can get Trump on board. "Mr President, we have to act now before Canada steals all our marijuana jobs!"
Old 04-11-2018, 03:23 PM

I see some killjoy fixed the thread title.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:13 PM

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 AM

I always wonder why they feel it necessary to mention someone's age? "Boehner, now 68"...why is that relevant? Is there some journalism regulation that mandates that a public figure's age be mentioned at some point in an article?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Well, of course it's not a selfless decision but I'm sure the guy has plenty of "advisory board" offers and he chose this one. Unless you mean he's a total pothead.

Maybe Boehner can get Trump on board. "Mr President, we have to act now before Canada steals all our marijuana jobs!"
Not as long as Sessions is still in the cabinet. He'd sooner let the country go bankrupt before allowing marijuana (a.k.a., Satan's Lettuce) be legal under federal law.

Part of me is giving Boehner for "evolving" on the position but most of me is a little pissed off that he waited until he was safely out of office to do it. If this had occurred when he was still Speaker of the House, it would've been a true "Nixon goes to China" political moment. Maybe then Congress would've been able to remove marijuana from the DEA's Schedule 1 list.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 04-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
I always wonder why they feel it necessary to mention someone's age? "Boehner, now 68"...why is that relevant? Is there some journalism regulation that mandates that a public figure's age be mentioned at some point in an article?
I always enjoy seeing a fat, bald-headed dork in the photo and reading that he’s 5-10 years younger than I am.