Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

RE: Interstate Highways in Hawaii

In the 1988 column entitled, "How can there be interstate highways... in Hawaii?", Cecil says there are no interstate highways in Alaska.

According to the website of the Federal Highway Administration, there are four designated interstate highways in Alaska, comprising 1082 miles of roadway.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/na...er/table03.cfm
Old 04-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Most of the lengths of the Interstates in Alaska are not constructed to Interstate Highway standards, but are small, rural, two-lane undivided highways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...ways_in_Alaska
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Also, Alaska's interstate highways are not signed as interstate highways and have state numbers that do not match the federal interstate highway system.

Interestingly enough, Puerto Rico, another island, has four interstate highways.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Another Interstate Highway that isn't actually "interstate" is the Tri-State Tollway, which isn't "Tri-State" at all. Going north to south, it begins at Northbrook, Illinois and ends just past South Holland, Illinois, just short of the Indiana border.

Map of the Tri-State Tollway
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Thus the reason for Alaska having "Interstate Highways" is funding: the federal government has a separate pool of money to fund these highways and pays a higher percent of costs (vs state governments) than for other highways.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
In the 1988 column entitled, "How can there be interstate highways... in Hawaii?", Cecil says there are no interstate highways in Alaska.

According to the website of the Federal Highway Administration, there are four designated interstate highways in Alaska, comprising 1082 miles of roadway.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/na...er/table03.cfm
But were they there in 1988, when Cecil wrote his column?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Another Interstate Highway that isn't actually "interstate" is the Tri-State Tollway, which isn't "Tri-State" at all. Going north to south, it begins at Northbrook, Illinois and ends just past South Holland, Illinois, just short of the Indiana border.
Though, the Tri-State (I-294) is a classic example of the concept of an "Auxiliary Interstate Highway." They usually have a three-digit number, and the last two digits are the number of their "parent" Interstate. In the case of the Tri-State, it's a "loop route," and bypasses the center of Chicago, connecting up with its parent, I-94, to the north and to the south of the city (whereas I-94 goes through the center of the city).

Many (maybe even most) auxiliary Interstates only run in a single state.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM

I don't think all "interstate" highways outside of Alaska and Hawaii are necessarily interstate. Does I-4 run anywhere outside of Florida?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:30 PM

I've been doing some research, and it's very probable that funding has more to do with it than whether or not the highway spans more than one state. If you can get an Interstate highway built in Hawaii, the Federal Government provides most of the money through the National System of Interstate Highways special funding, thus saving the state a very large sum of money.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't think all "interstate" highways outside of Alaska and Hawaii are necessarily interstate. Does I-4 run anywhere outside of Florida?
In the one or two digit category there are quite a few that are one-state only. I-2 in Texas is the lower numbered one. Search this page for "only". (My count is 20. YMMV.)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Those Alaskan Interstate Highways do in fact appear to lead to the Canadian border and the rest of the United States, thus making them legitimate interstate highways, as opposed to some of the obviously fake "interstate" highways noted above.