Old 06-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
So he would have had to work out how to gain access to that floor, which doesn't seem to fit with "drunken impulse".
Well, maybe in this case but not necessarily in general. I performed some amazingly intricate mischief while under the influence back in my salad days.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
I hope he spends at least the next 5 years over there planting apple trees. At least 5. Fuck this guy.

Well, you got your wish and he got good and fucked. Why don't you write this in a card and send it to his family in Cincinnati?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Well, you got your wish and he got good and fucked. Why don't you write this in a card and send it to his family in Cincinnati?
"Five years planting apple trees," is pretty far from, "beaten into a year-long coma he never recovers from."
Old 06-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post

I doubt he was being persecuted based on his religion though. It's all the same to North Korea.
Probably not. But North Korea is positively on the Palestinian side in the conflict with Israel, which it labels 'imperialist'. Also though I know of no survey of NK public feelings about Jews, South Korea scores surprisingly high on antisemitism in ADL's global survey, 53% v 9% in the US, 8% in the UK, 37% in France, 20% China, 23% Japan. Part of the might be in how outspoken people are about their harsh opinions of others in different countries, but still interesting. And to the extent it has anything to do with the element of Korean culture that remains common between North and South (one theory might be that diaspora Koreans often find themselves in competition with Jews in the US among 'over achieving minorities' and that competitive tension feeds back through family ties to create negative ROK attitudes toward Jews, which wouldn't apply to NK).
http://global100.adl.org/

Last edited by Corry El; 06-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
"Five years planting apple trees," is pretty far from, "beaten into a year-long coma he never recovers from."

"Fuck this guy" means "fuck this guy." When you're talking about leaving someone to his fate in the hands of a cruel and brutal regime, this pitch me was perfectly foreseeable. So if you say he deserves to be left in the hands of that system, this is what you're saying he deserves.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:43 PM

The bier is cold but the lawsuit is hot.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Diplomatically awkward, to be sure, but I can't fault the parents for timing their lawsuit to maximize what little leverage they have.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:46 AM
SDSAB

Here's CNN's coverage of the parents' lawsuit: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/polit...rea/index.html
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 PM

There are very few people involved with this "story" at any stage, who have strong reasons or incentives to tell the truth about what happened. Almost everybody with any connection has reason to be embarrassed or humiliated or suspicious or protective or whatever other things that could make them want the truth to remain hidden. Reporters have essentially no credible sources to rely on, regarding the main question of "what happened over there anyway".
Old 04-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Diplomatically awkward, to be sure, but I can't fault the parents for timing their lawsuit to maximize what little leverage they have.
What leverage would that be? Under what scenario could North Korea ever be made to pay a dime?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
What leverage would that be? Under what scenario could North Korea ever be made to pay a dime?
Especially since his parents declined to have an autopsy performed on their son, which would render it impossible to prove North Korean authorities were responsible for his injuries and subsequent death.

Speaking of which, I read that when he was brought back home in his comatose state, he was said to be howling and jerking. My question is, how can someone who’s in a coma make noises and move their body?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Comatose people often twitch and move involuntarily.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:23 AM

What gets me is the American arrogance that led him to believe that he could take liberties with a society that is known far and wide for its ruthlessly punitive approach to anything outside of any of its laws. I can only believe that attitude is a product of our tremendously permissive society.

Last edited by Jasmine; 04-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
What gets me is the American arrogance that led him to believe that he could take liberties with a society that is known far and wide for its ruthlessly punitive approach to anything outside of any of its laws. I can only believe that attitude is a product of our tremendously permissive society.
After all that has been said and linked to in this thread, do you even consider it possible that North Korea set him up?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
As part of some larger overall deal with the United States.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm blood View Post
Especially since his parents declined to have an autopsy performed on their son, which would render it impossible to prove North Korean authorities were responsible for his injuries and subsequent death.

Speaking of which, I read that when he was brought back home in his comatose state, he was said to be howling and jerking.
Said by who?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Not a comatose state, though-
Quote:
He died less than a week after returning at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Doctors there said he arrived in a state of “unresponsive wakefulness” and had suffered a “severe neurological injury” of uncertain cause.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure this was mentioned earlier - but do we have any proof that he actually committed the crime? Going to NK as a tourist is not a wise choice, but the NK government has certainly accused people falsely in the past.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Not a comatose state, though-
Yeah, but a lot of news reports from legitimate sources described him as comatose.

“University of Virginia student, held for 17 months in prison with hard labor for trying to steal a propaganda poster, had been in a coma since returning home”

“Otto Warmbier, the American college student who was recently sent home in a coma after being held prisoner for 17 months in North Korea, died Monday at age 22.”

“Otto Warmbier, the American student imprisoned by North Korea for 17 months and freed last week in a coma, died on Monday afternoon, according to a statement by his family.”

Granted, all the articles I linked to above describe his state as “unresponsive wakefulness” in the body of the article but they still contradict themselves by saying he was in a coma.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
After all that has been said and linked to in this thread, do you even consider it possible that North Korea set him up?
Well, as they often say in the religious discussions on this board, "Prove it." Without proof, it's just conjecture. This case aside, there have been many occasions when Americans, mostly foolish young people, have taken liberties with the laws in other nations and paid dearly for it. My point weathers the test of history.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, as they often say in the religious discussions on this board, "Prove it." Without proof, it's just conjecture. This case aside, there have been many occasions when Americans, mostly foolish young people, have taken liberties with the laws in other nations and paid dearly for it. My point weathers the test of history.
Actually, the accused is innocent until proven guilty in this country. Did North Korea's case prove that he was guilty to you?
edited to add: What does North Korea's long history of trumped-up cases say to you?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-30-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I am pretty sure this was mentioned earlier - but do we have any proof that he actually committed the crime?
Proof that it's true -
  • The North Korean government said he did it.
  • The North Korean government said they have a video of him doing it.
Proof that it's false -
  • The North Korean government said...
Regards,
Shodan