Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Well, yesterday we took everything except the dresser and armoire out of the master bedroom so we could vacuum, mop the floors, wash the baseboards, and put down the new rug. I am not putting everything back that was in there - the blanket chest has had its contents stowed elsewhere, except for some extra pillows that are currently in the washer, and then the chest itself is either going back to Mom's house, given away to a friend, or possibly given away on Craigslist or Freecycle.

Now to deal with 2 plastic tubs full of old school papers, which are currently sitting next to the kitchen island...I am keeping my defended, sealed master's thesis, but I think much of the rest is getting tossed.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Ah, yes, old school papers... that's on The List somewhere after the old magazines and the old bills/envelopes/receipts from more years ago than I care to admit.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Well, another set-back - during the most recent rainstorm monsoon we had another Epic Ceiling Leak which resulted in emergency deployment of buckets and mops (and admittedly some sobbing on my part - thank Og we had a plastic drop cloth otherwise I would have lost at least half my book collection). Stuff got hurriedly re-arranged and shoved into corners and there is now a heap o' messy rags piled up/hung up until I can get to the laundry mat.
This is NOT the way to Clean Up Your House.
Yay on the recycling, boo on the leak . So true about not the way to do it!!

We mucked out the unfinished storage room in our basement last October, the day after Hurricane Sandy: we lost power, the sump pump of course did not work, and we had 3-4 inches of water. Most of it was on shelves, some stuff was on the floor in bins, but some other stuff was on the floor in boxes etc. and therefore got wet. Much of that got tossed, some was able to be laid out and let dry. We also threw away all the outdated emergency supplies we had down there. And we put another set of shelves to get everything else up off the floor.

We hosted 3 high students from Spain and Italy this summer so had to muck out and organize the habitable part of the basement. It's still not great but the carpeted area is at least usable.

Beyond that, we're badly stalled. Maybe this December when I'm burning up my use-or-lose vacation time I can make some progress.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 PM

after having 28 boxes + a handfull of space/big hefty zipper bags brought over from my storage unit. i'm down to 18 boxes today.

i ended up watching the entire first season of elementary while sorting. some things will find new homes in my flat other things (off season clothes, seasonal decorations) will go into the new smaller storage unit in my building.

soon the roomba will roam again!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Just weeded out about 90% of those 2 tubs of papers. Am I ever again going to need photocopies of 1990s poly sci journals? Probably not, and if so, that's what libraries are for.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:20 AM

I need to join this thread, I'm not a hoarder, but before this I used moves about every 2 - 5 years to weed out excess stuff. It has now been 14 years since the last move and two children adding to the stuff accumulation. So although the house looks fine, the storage areas are full and need culling badly.

I have been slowly, slowly getting rid of things. I went through my pants and long sleeved shirts and got rid of any in bad condition, not fitting or just can't remember the last time I wore it.

Next I'm going through my t-shirts and socks. Then the hanging clothing.

I pulled stuff (pans and serving trays) from the pantry that haven't been used since we moved into this house and sent them for Donation.

Last year after Christmas I pulled out a few decorations that I have no use for and were taking up attic space and gave them away and also trashed any broken ones that I can't fix.

A couple weekends ago, I had my 12 year old child go through all her clothing drawers with me and pulled all the stuff that is either too small or she just wont' wear. Any thing torn or stained was turned to rags or tossed and anything good was placed in a labeled box for her younger sister in a few years. It let us see what new clothes she really needed. She is amazed that all of her drawers now open and close so easily.

Next weekend I'll do the same with the younger child.

I hope by joining this thread I will continue the motivation to keep cleaning out stuff.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Moved things around in my bedroom last weekend and had to go through all my books to be able to move the case. Pulled not quite ten for donation. Then went through my cassette tapes. But I still have a cassette player, so I only got rid of about eight. Sorted out some broken cases and went on to sort CDs. Got rid of maybe six of those.

Behind the CDs I found a couple of small boxes of 2 1/2 inch floppies. The boxes were each about half the size of a shoebox. I went through about fifty of them and didn't see anything that would be useful to anyone. One of the boxes was wood and may be useful for other things. The other was cheap plastic, and starting to crack. So that's stuff that I've carried along for about ten years. Eh. Could have been worse. And they're gone now.

That has worked well, so I started sorting the shelves by my desk. More books to donation. Old three ring binders donated. Old notebooks tossed. Now I'm thinking of getting rid of one bookcase and rearranging the study. Cool.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 PM

For those looking for a little guided inspiration, one of my favorite blogs/websites does a Kitchen Cure every year. They give an assignment a day for 10 days for cleaning out and improving your kitchen to make it more functional.

http://www.thekitchn.com/sign-up-for...ll-2013-194693
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM

I will be doing it at a slower base than the site does because of the whole "I have a job" issue, but I will get a head start tomorrow with a good clean out of my fridge since it is already mostly empty.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM

6 boxes of books off to Half-Price Books today. Tomorrow, 4 boxes of old VHS movies and RPG game manuals. Maybe some anime DVDs too.

We also have a small bag of stuff for Goodwill, and may have some linens to add to that.

Ah, moving...
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareIt View Post
For those looking for a little guided inspiration, one of my favorite blogs/websites does a Kitchen Cure every year. They give an assignment a day for 10 days for cleaning out and improving your kitchen to make it more functional.

http://www.thekitchn.com/sign-up-for...ll-2013-194693
Thanks. I signed up for this, and sent the link along to a Yahoo group I moderate for those with full-time jobs (or students) who need to shovel out.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM

I cleaned out my fridge and freezer today. Leaking ice packs got tossed along with freezer burned turkey and a few other odds and ends of stuff that was way past its date or that I was just never going to eat/use. The ice tray got dumped and I left it out to let the ice crystals that always end up gathering at the bottom to melt. The rest of my kitchen is still a bit of a mess but I am hoping to get to the worst of it tonight while I am doing laundry (W/D is in my kitchen)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Broomstick:

"I have been able to maintain the front/living room at the level it was when we did the Big Clean Up in this thread...In addition to the usual once a month trip to the recycling place with the pop and tin cans we've also taken a busted air conditioner (our old one) and a few other items in order to get some money for our old useless but recyclable crap. I'm now trying to take at least 1 extra item beyond just cans every time I go down there...Got the receipt/paper tracking better organized, as well as getting rid of about two garbage bags worth of no longer needed paper."

Congratulations!!!

A triumph!

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Taomist:

"...the one time I get to really set up everything just how I like it, before we clutter it all up again..."

I hear you there.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Tripolar: I love your handle! Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Sahirrnee:

"I watch Hoarders for inspiration. I do NOT want to end up like that...it's hard to be positive when you are the one who wants to clean out and organize and you're overcrowded."

God, do I ever get it.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Khadaji:

You're absolutely right. A little every day. I'm giving you a mental hug!

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Sunspace:

"My goal is to get EVERYTHING sorted, for basically the first time in my life."

This is also my wish.

"I used to be close to a class-2 hoarder..."

God. I never thought of a classification system for hoarders. I'm afraid how I may be classified...

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM

Ferret Herder:

Thanks for the link. It looks pretty darned good.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Broomstick:

In my opinion, weeding TOTALLY counts as decluttering.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Perfectparanoia:

"The good news is that my house was tidy enough to have everyone over."

I'm pea-green with envy!

And inspired.

Darla
Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Broomstick:

"Why bother? It's hopeless. This place is never going to get organized. I'm struggling just to maintain what I've done, I just don't know how I'm going to keep improving."

Try to hang in there. And the way I look at it is, if you can't see your way to further improvement at the moment, at least try to just maintain your current level of progress...

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Spice Weasel:

Yes! Work, too! My cubicle is as big of a pigsty as my apartment!

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Rapacia:

Welcome to the thread!

Also - the landlord seems to have finally fixed all the roof leaks generated when a spring storm ripped part of the roof off the building a couple months ago. It's been a pain tracking every leak down but it's raining outside but not inside tonight and my stress level has gone way down.

This also means I won't have impromptu monsoons generated problems and mess inside and I can try to get back on track with interior improvements. Yay!.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Carnut:

"My mother taught me to toss back the covers, get up and complete my morning ablutions, and complete my toilette before going back to make my bed. Her claim though, was that airing out the bed linens would help prevent me from getting yeast infections. Maybe she was right."

Interesting.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Sunspace:

"...once part of a dream. But it was a dream I was unsuited to, and now I'm moving on..."

Wow. That's food for thought. Can be applied to any collection of stuff we just can't cope with getting rid of...

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM

VunderBob:

"...16' Penske truck..."

I've gotta look that up...

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Thanks. I signed up for this, and sent the link along to a Yahoo group I moderate for those with full-time jobs (or students) who need to shovel out.
I can't be the only one who'd like to know more about this group...

After several weeks of malaise I made some progress earlier this week. I have a full time job, but don't start 'til 10:00am. If I'm responsible about sleep I can get a lot done before I go to work. I'm 10x more productive for an extra hour in the morning than I am if I stay up an hour late.

I have given myself a goal to have the house genuinely clean enough to have guests when we welcome 2014. By that I mean, no closets or drawers full of the stuff I swept off surfaces because someone's coming over. One box or drawer/day between now and New Year's Eve should keep me on track.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Well I haven't done anything more with my kitchen since Sunday's giant purge. However, my kitchen hasn't gotten any dirtier in that time, all dishes going promptly into the dishwasher instead of being left for the next day. I've also got black beans in my crock pot in the name of starting to use up things in my pantry rather than leaving them for "some day".

I am taking 3 days off of work next week so I am hoping to take some of the things that are already piled for the thrift store to the store. Also on the "I'd like to" list is taking pictures of a few items that I want to sell on ebay or Craigslist so that I can actually sell them instead of thinking about selling them.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM

Hey, Rapacia, first of all, welcome, and second: see those buttons that say [Quote] and ["+] at the bottom of a post?

To answer to someone, you use the quote button; the board will give you a writing space with their post quoted and space for you to answer; remove any parts of their post which are not directly relevant to your response, answer, post.

To answer to several someones, use the "+ button on each post, the quote button on the last one you want to post, edit, respond, post.

Ta-daaaaah! De-cluttered thread!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 PM

Perfectparanoia:

"...Getting a cleaning lady has changed our life! We are forced to tidy up the house the night before she comes. It means that once a week, the whole house is tidy and clean at the same time!"

I've given thought to this.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Broomstick:

There always IS an upside.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Broomstick:

Thank YOU. You're all inspiring me. And God knows I need it.

Rapacia
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendee View Post
I can't be the only one who'd like to know more about this group...
Come on over to http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PayrollSHEs/info and check it out.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 PM

Broomstick:

Many thanks for the welcome.

I'm so in love with many of the usernames on this page!

Rapacia
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM

Nava:

Thank you - thou art awesome!

Rapacia
Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Y'all.

My mother is here staying with me for a few days and my level of clutter is humiliating. She adores me and would never give me a bad time about it - even though she's a terrific housekeeper herself and was unable to pass this on to me - but it's still SO embarrassing.

Today I played hookie from work and stayed home with her. We went shopping and - when we got home, I:

Moved my bed completely away from the wall.
Dusted the ceiling, walls and baseboards.
Vacuumed thoroughly.
Cleaned the bed frame.
Brushed the boxspring and mattress - it wasn't filthy, but it probably needed it.
Stored underneath and on top of the canopy ONLY what needed to go there - did a lot of weeding out.
Moved the bed back into place, opened the windows, turned on fans and have the whole bedchamber getting a fresh air infusion. Again - there's no actual filth or odor in the room, it just seemed like a great idea.

Now I'm laundering my bedding.

I think I feel better...

Rapacia
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM

More progress.

So. I've laundered bedding - all white (my mom likes that) - and made the bed. It's SO inviting. I'm not quite feeling UNdepressed, but I feel just a bit better - there's now a measurable section of one room of my flat that is not only not a shitstorm, but is actually QUITE WONDERFULLY CLEAN AND ORGANIZED.

I cannot remember who recommended the website Unfuck Your Habitat, but it's partially responsible for my small victory. I did the 20/10: twenty minutes spent "unfucking" an area of one's habitat, then taking a ten-minute break.

This helps.

I've actually done something today.

Yar!

Rapacia
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 PM

If you have an iOS device (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad), you can get an "UnFilth Your Habitat" app (with the warning that the actual app uses the real word). It has options for things like a "Random Unfucking Challenge", a "My To-Unfuck List", challenges for different rooms, a 20/10 timer (unfuck for 20 minutes, rest for 10), and achievements.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Ferret Herder, my darling:

I do not have such a device. Technologically, I am still in the cave. Plus, I can't afford the data package.

Rapacia
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
If you have an iOS device (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad), you can get an "UnFilth Your Habitat" app (with the warning that the actual app uses the real word). It has options for things like a "Random Unfucking Challenge", a "My To-Unfuck List", challenges for different rooms, a 20/10 timer (unfuck for 20 minutes, rest for 10), and achievements.
Wonder if something similar exists for Android? I do own a Touch, but rarely use it for much any more, since my phone covers all the bases nicely.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Dunno if UFYH has one for Android, but I see there's a FlyLady one. FlyLady has similar tactics that may help.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 AM

I know. Thing is, she can get a tad annoying. I was hoping for someone less syrupy-patronizing.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

A tad annoying? After looking at her website I ran down the hallway and hid under a pile of clutter.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Yeah, sorry. I'm only familiar with iOS apps so I went with the obvious. I also have one called Home Routines as well, which is "FlyLady-compatible" but without all the extra... syrup. Also iOS-only, it seems.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I like the principles at Unf* Your Habitat. I found it over a year ago and even then they were threatening to develop an android app.

I like the bones of what FlyLady says, too, but do get overwhelmed by the "flyWashing" and the "God Breezes"(and I say that as someone who attends church twice a week). The most meaningful to me is "It took more than a weekend for your house to get wrecked. It will take you more than a weekend to fix it."

I've posted more than once that the biggest obstacle to me living in an uncluttered environment is papers. Piles and piles of papers. The internet has helped me stop clipping recipes, but I have boxes and boxes of old bills and bank statements. Whenever I try and find a definitive answer to how long I need to keep what I end up with three different sources that all seem equally reputable saying three different things.

There are days I feel like just tossing it all. In over twenty years of living alone I've never needed to produce a five year old electric bills. What's really the worst that could happen?

I feel like a person in my situation; no mortgage, no investments ought to be able to keep everything contained in one four drawer file cabinet - but mine's full and I don't know what I can pull out of it. One drawer is full of papers relating to my (first) divorce and custody proceedings from over thirteen years ago. Everyone I've asked says to keep ALL of it forever.

Any advice?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I like the principles at Unf* Your Habitat. I found it over a year ago and even then they were threatening to develop an android app.

I like the bones of what FlyLady says, too, but do get overwhelmed by the "flyWashing" and the "God Breezes"(and I say that as someone who attends church twice a week). The most meaningful to me is "It took more than a weekend for your house to get wrecked. It will take you more than a weekend to fix it."

I've posted more than once that the biggest obstacle to me living in an uncluttered environment is papers. Piles and piles of papers. The internet has helped me stop clipping recipes, but I have boxes and boxes of old bills and bank statements. Whenever I try and find a definitive answer to how long I need to keep what I end up with three different sources that all seem equally reputable saying three different things.

There are days I feel like just tossing it all. In over twenty years of living alone I've never needed to produce a five year old electric bills. What's really the worst that could happen?

I feel like a person in my situation; no mortgage, no investments ought to be able to keep everything contained in one four drawer file cabinet - but mine's full and I don't know what I can pull out of it. One drawer is full of papers relating to my (first) divorce and custody proceedings from over thirteen years ago. Everyone I've asked says to keep ALL of it forever.

Any advice?
I may not be welcome in this thread since I don't have any clutter, but I grew up in a house where nothing was ever really cleaned or thrown away so I come by my habits after a lot of hard work.

Here's my advice-pitch it all.

If the check you wrote for the electric bill from last month has cleared, toss out the paper bill. Seriously, you will never ever need it. Same goes for any bills older than 30 days. Once they have posted your payment you don't need a paper copy.

Toss out the recipe clippings, they are ALL available online now if you want to cook something.

Shred your old bank statements, you will never need to know your checking account balance from 2003, never.

Divorce/custody stuff - keep until the kids are over 18 and custody is no longer an issue.

What's in the other three drawers?
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Seriously, I only keep any documents related to my tax returns. And even those, after 7 years, they are gone. I think in this day and age, you shouldn't need more than 1 filing cabinet drawer for paperwork unless you own a small business.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
What really bugs me is the rigidity about things like where one folds laundry. About the only place I HAVE for that is the sofa or bed, both of which are taboo to her. She also refuses to acknowledge that different circumstances from hers exist (after all, people who work outside the home and have long commutes should still be able to keep up with a work-from-home or FT homemaker, right?), and considers it "whining" to think other household members should be pitching in or to admit one has some limiting factor such as time issues. I haven't gotten so annoyed as to add her book to the "donate" box, but haven't re-read it in quite a while and quickly unsubbed from her e-mails.

Didn't much care for Sandra Felton, either. Grade-school teacher and talks to her audience at about that level, and I really dislike being patronized. I find the Sidetracked Sisters much easier to relate to.

Quote:

Any advice?
I really think years-old utility bills can go . I'd also think custody paperwork for children who are now over 18 (if that applies to yours) can go, since custody is no longer a live issue. I'd check with an attorney on that and the divorce stuff, though. My unprofessional opinion (IANAL and all that) is that all that really would need to be kept is the final decree and any custody stuff relating to any child who is still a minor.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM

I am soooo close to completing Day 4 of the Kitchn Cure. My cabinets have been emptied, wiped down (inside and out), and re-arranged. Extraneous lids to the few plastic containers I still have were tossed. The 4 year old flour was tossed and the container cleaned. The two containers of sugar were combined into the smaller container. I have a pile of ingredients that have either expired in the last few weeks or will expire by the end of the year that I will use as part of the week's menu.

Still remaining are my counter tops and my floor. I need to hurry up and get started on those sinceI need to leave the house in 2 hours and won't be back until too late to finish these.