Old 11-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Bumping to keep alive and because zee deadline! She looms!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Up to 30! The plan is to make assignments tomorrow, but I have run into a problem with the board. I copy/paste addresses, and for some reason, I can't copy anything from the SDMB, even from messages or within a post that I am typing.

29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvorange View Post
Ok, finally! 28 so far with the deadline 6 days away. If I've missed you, let me know!

1. Slow Moving Vehicle
2. Baker
3 ThelmaLou
4. purplehorseshoe
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna
9. carnut
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy
12. vivalostwages
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike
17. Kimstu
18. ioioio
19. Filbert
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon
22. BeeGee
23. BludgeonMeSoftly
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Up to 30! The plan is to make assignments tomorrow, but I have run into a problem with the board. I copy/paste addresses, and for some reason, I can't copy anything from the SDMB, even from messages or within a post that I am typing.

29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel
There's this thing happening with the board (not sure if it's both skins) where you can drag your cursor over text to highlight/select it, but the highlighting doesn't show up. HOWEVER if you hit "copy" or "cut" you will see that, in fact, your text was selected and you can perform your operations. And you can paste the invisibly selected text. IOW the copy-cut-paste function is still there, except that you can't see the highlighting. At least that's the way it's been for me for the last few weeks. I'm not crazy about it, but I've kind of gotten used to it. Give it a whirl.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 11-17-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 AM

31st! PM sent.

Another like for chocolate, my favorite is dark chocolate.

Local themed or homemade would be cool to get. I already have ideas for what I'll send from my hometown..

I love to read, science fiction is my favorite genre, followed by thrillers or murder mysteries.

Favorite color is purple, followed by teal.

What is it ThelmaLou said -- "Mostly I just like prezzies..."
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
There's this thing happening with the board (not sure if it's both skins) where you can drag your cursor over text to highlight/select it, but the highlighting doesn't show up. HOWEVER if you hit "copy" or "cut" you will see that, in fact, your text was selected and you can perform your operations. And you can paste the invisibly selected text. IOW the copy-cut-paste function is still there, except that you can't see the highlighting. At least that's the way it's been for me for the last few weeks. I'm not crazy about it, but I've kind of gotten used to it. Give it a whirl.
That is so weird. It works, though! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That is so weird. It works, though! Thanks!
I know. Totally weird. There might be something in ATMB about it.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 11-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

It's a bug with Chrome and Firefox, and the mobile skin (Sultantheme's Responsive vB3-blue). Basically, one of the style sheets for the mobile skin has an entry in it for the highlight color, but then it never sets the highlight color to anything. What the browser should do is just ignore it since there is nothing set. Later versions of Chrome have a bug where they end up setting the highlight color to not be visible. Firefox apparently likes to "borrow" code changes from Chrome, and copied the bug into Firefox a short time later.

You can fix it by using the old Straight Dope theme (Straightdope v3.7.3). The drop-down menu to select the theme is on the lower left side of the page.

See the ATMB sticky here.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=857192
Old 11-18-2018, 02:29 AM

Last call!

Last call!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:18 AM

I just sent a PM! Hope I made it in time!!

It’s been quite a few years since I last participated, I got burned the last time. Thought I’d give it another try! I love hitting up the local Christmas markets to look for the perfect item!

As for me,
I love chocolate, especially the combo of salty and sweet.
I have pierced ears, I like small Celtic style jewelry.
Love dogs! I have a Black Lab/Shepherd mix. Pit bulls are awesome too.
Also like turtles and snakes.
Favorite colors are teal and purple.
Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan.
I like strange, offbeat and macabre things. Don’t worry about going too dark!
Thrillers, serial killer and horror novels are my jam.
Or a cool local item is always appreciated!

Not a tea person, and please no clothing, ornaments or religious items, thanks!!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
...It’s been quite a few years since I last participated, I got burned the last time.

Okay, I'm sorry about the hamsters. Poor little guys. I MEANT to punch holes in the box, but [in Steve Martin voice] "I FORGOT!"

Seriously, you probably don't want to share, and I understand perfectly. But I'm positive I'm imagining something much worse than whatever really happened. Judging from your list of preferences, someone sent you a hand-knitted nativity scene filled with tea. That could also be worn as a hat.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Okay, I'm sorry about the hamsters. Poor little guys. I MEANT to punch holes in the box, but [in Steve Martin voice] "I FORGOT!"

Seriously, you probably don't want to share, and I understand perfectly. But I'm positive I'm imagining something much worse than whatever really happened. Judging from your list of preferences, someone sent you a hand-knitted nativity scene filled with tea. That could also be worn as a hat.
Ha! That would have been better! No, they completely forgot and ended up sending a random thing a few weeks late they had clearly gotten as a free giveaway and had been sitting in their home. I don’t think that person is even a member here anymore.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ha! That would have been better! No, they completely forgot and ended up sending a random thing a few weeks late they had clearly gotten as a free giveaway and had been sitting in their home. I don’t think that person is even a member here anymore.
That’s pretty lame. Sorry you got burned. In the first one I participated in, my first year here on the Dope, I thought it would be cool to assemble the chain of gift givers and recipients (here, this was in 2012). What started as an interesting exercise unintentionally led to PMs that eventually revealed one, and perhaps the only, flake that year.

Some of this year’s participants also participated then. But the 2012 flake, though still active here, is not signed up for this exchange.

Life happens, people get suddenly busy with more urgent matters, I get it. But an apology would’ve been nice and maybe that was sent as a PM. It wasn’t provided in that thread. (I wasn’t the one who got burned. I received a nice gift that year and it was a fun exchange.).
Old 11-18-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That's only slightly worse than dead hamsters.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We're leaving on a cruise next week, so my recipient may just get something from Aruba or the Panama Canal!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Final count 31 and I'm getting down to work at last.

1. Slow Moving Vehicle
2. Baker
3 ThelmaLou
4. purplehorseshoe
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna
9. carnut
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy
12. vivalostwages
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike
17. Kimstu
18. ioioio
19. Filbert
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon
22. BeeGee
23. BludgeonMeSoftly
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel
31. Eyebrows 0f Doom
Old 11-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Hi everyone, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring too. (I don't work in an office anymore so this is my Secret Santa project this year).

I love wall calendars, cats, dark chocolate, Game of Thrones, and I'm pro-slippers (size 7 gals) as my doctor says I need to at least wear something and not go barefoot at home (I have bursitis). I'm really also into themed-cookbooks such as Outlander Cookbook or Walking Dead cookbooks.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 PM

Assignments are done! Let me know if anything is messed up. I was having technical difficulties. If any of you have not posted in the thread about what you like, make sure you do! Also, remember to post when you send your package and when you receive one.

And since I forgot to post like always: It's easiest to say that I just like neat stuff. I'm a magpie. I'm not into sports, but that's about it. I like to make things and see what other people have made. I have a very casual job where it's fun to have things like jewelry and knick knacks that make good conversation pieces. No food allergies or restrictions.

1. Slow Moving Vehicle
2. Baker
3 ThelmaLou
4. purplehorseshoe
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna
9. carnut
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy
12. vivalostwages
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike
17. Kimstu
18. ioioio
19. Filbert
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon
22. BeeGee
23. BludgeonMeSoftly
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel
31. Eyebrows 0f Doom
32. txobbin
33. smokey78
Old 11-19-2018, 02:04 AM

Fun! Thanks for coordinating this, Silvorange!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:25 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Got my name, checked wish list - good to go! Ho ho ho!!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Soooooo my person never actually posted on here and said what they like/want!

This should be...um...interesting...
Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Got my person! Because they're far away, I'm going to do local stuff which is always fun.

Edited to add: people sending to Canada might want to do so sooner rather than later as we're having rotating mail strikes so things are moving a bit slow.

Last edited by FloatyGimpy; 11-19-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Got my person! And yes, I too am worried about the mail strikes as I'm in Canada too.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Got my assignment, too. Oh boyohboyohboy!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Ok I got mine woowoo!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM

My giftee lives far from me here near San Francisco — they actually live very close to where I grew up, my ho-ho-ho-hometown!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Aaand I'm off to round up some stuff to send out! Yay!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Looking for local stuff as my giftee is pretty far from here. Fun!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 PM

I've already ordered a couple of things from amazon to come here so I can package everything up. I have something local in mind, too, that I might go look for tomorrow... or maybe wait til Monday so I don't get trampled to death. This is fun!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 PM

My giftee lives quite far from me, so I am excited to shop this weekend for local fun stuff and goodies.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 AM

Unsurprisingly, my recipient also lives rather far from me...

Hopefully I can start shopping and making things tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:03 PM

I really have no idea what my giftee might like! In past years I've always crocheted my giftee a scarf or hat, but this year I got a guy.

Me, I'm easy to please. I like cats, chocolate, and crochet. I play flute, and I have a houseful of kids that keep me on my toes, so any relaxation-type items (scented candle, snuggly socks, bath products etc) are always appreciated.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Soooo you don't think guys like scarves? :P I'm sure any of us would appreciate something that was made by your hands or know someone that would...
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Just chiming into say I got my person and I will be able to start shopping next weekend when I am back in the city!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I was telling my mother-in-law about this exchange, and she suggested I look at Cracker Barrel. Um, sure, I'm going to be in Aruba and Panama and Costa Rica, but the best place to get a Secret Santa gift is a chain restaurant...
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I got off of work too late to go to the shop, where hopefully I can pick something to please my giftee. Their fingers are said to be crossed.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum View Post
I really have no idea what my giftee might like! In past years I've always crocheted my giftee a scarf or hat, but this year I got a guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Soooo you don't think guys like scarves? :P I'm sure any of us would appreciate something that was made by your hands or know someone that would...
Another guy here, and yes I think a hand-made, crocheted scarf would be nice. Depends on the guy, though, but a dark, neutral color with a light splash of color, maybe red... and knowing it was hand made by Sarabellum would make it a special gift.

Maybe 20 years ago my church choir director knitted a pair of slippers. I still wear them every winter, and I think of her when I do. She was a nice, sweet lady.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:19 PM

I got my giftee. This will be fun.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM

I just finished my shopping. Oboyoboyoboy!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I just finished my shopping. Oboyoboyoboy!
Wow you are good! I haven’t started any actual shopping yet, but I’ve started the planning for my shopping. My giftee has given other hints in other threads that I hope will lead to a successful gift package for them.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I went to the yarn shop and it was closed! It was supposed to be open until 5:00PM
but they wanted to annoy me I guess. I'll call tomorrow to be sure of the hours, then go back.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 PM

I have to drop out of the exchange. I PMed Silvorange, but wanted to post here in case my gifter (person giving me a gift)
reads it here first.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:23 AM

Holy crap, ThelmaLou, you are on TOP of shit.

Luckily my Doper seems easy to please!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Holy crap, ThelmaLou, you are on TOP of shit.
Well, on THAT maybe.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:18 AM

I sent out my package this morning.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, EmilyG, you and ThelmaLou are making the rest of us look like slackers!

Last edited by kayT; 11-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM

I wanted to get things ready a bit ahead of time because of possible postal service disruptions in my area.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I have everything purchased for my giftee. Now the challenge will be to get it boxed up and sent off, because this coming week is going to be very busy. I'm shooting for Tuesday. I hope the gifts will be acceptable. One is soft, one is tasty, and two are cute.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:11 PM

In an atypical burst of energy, I got everything for my Santee today, and the explanatory note written as well. What I’m really proud of, though, is that everything came from a small, local business, and on Small Business Saturday, too. Should get it off this week; one thing is kinda fragile, so I need to round up some bubble wrap before I send it off.

Another guy chiming in to say that a crocheted scarf or hat would be a great gift. Mrs. SMV pointed out that the last two years I participated in this, we got really super cool ornaments for our tree; a salmon-skin leather Faroese heart from septima, then next year origami horses in gold foil from Anaglyph. So another ornament would be welcome, if my SS is stuck for ideas. So would anything made of leather, like a keychain or bracelet or ball gag and gimp suit. I mean, if you’re having trouble coming up with ideas....
Old 11-24-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I have everything purchased for my giftee. Now the challenge will be to get it boxed up and sent off, because this coming week is going to be very busy. I'm shooting for Tuesday. I hope the gifts will be acceptable. One is soft, one is tasty, and two are cute.
Don't forget to punch holes in the box. (J/k)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 AM

Bought some really cool things for my giftee today. Now waiting for them to be shipped to me so that I can wrap (or have my amazing wife wrap because she has a blast doing it and so that it doesn't look like a third grader did it), and I'll be shipping them back out again next week if all goes as planned. I love reading what people want on here and do my best to hit the targets and have fun with it. After 38 years of not celebrating this is my third time doing this and giving thoughtful and fun gifts is almost like a fun game. I'm sure it gets old buying the same family members stuff year after year, but I really have a good time with this. Thanks again to Silvorange for putting it together.

Last edited by justanothermike; 11-25-2018 at 12:30 AM.