Old 11-26-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermike View Post
Bought some really cool things for my giftee today. Now waiting for them to be shipped to me so that I can wrap (or have my amazing wife wrap because she has a blast doing it and so that it doesn't look like a third grader did it), and I'll be shipping them back out again next week if all goes as planned. I love reading what people want on here and do my best to hit the targets and have fun with it. After 38 years of not celebrating this is my third time doing this and giving thoughtful and fun gifts is almost like a fun game. I'm sure it gets old buying the same family members stuff year after year, but I really have a good time with this. Thanks again to Silvorange for putting it together.
It's fun watching you get into Christmas year after year. It doesn't get boring buying for the same people. I love shopping for things that I think friends will like. I keep an amazon gift ideas list for each person that I normally buy Christmas and birthday gifts for and I add to it throughout the year. It's very easy to set up and when you're on the page of a cool widget that you think <whoever> would like, you go to "add to list" and scroll down to their name and click! When Christmas or their birthday comes around, you've got ideas already in place.

My package went out this morning! Yay!
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 11-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Making plans, going to get stuff together, gotta place a few orders for various items anyway, and then wrap the goodies and get them off as soon as possible.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Going to get items together this week and place a few orders and then do the wrapping and get those goodies off as fast as I can! I tend to use gift bags because my wrapping skills are not great but I will see what I can do.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 PM

Ordered one of the items for my giftee, once it gets here I will box it all up, and per instructions will post when I have shipped it.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 PM

I was stitching away yesterday. Unfortunately, cat #2 was trying to help. Hope to finish by the end of the week.

Last edited by BeeGee; 11-26-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I was stitching away yesterday. Unfortunately, cat #2 was trying to help. Hope to finish by the end of the week.
Just remember to punch holes in the box.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 11-27-2018, 01:35 AM

I nominate "don't forget to punch holes in the box" as the next SDMB catchphrase.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I nominate "don't forget to punch holes in the box" as the next SDMB catchphrase.
Thanks. I foresee many applicable situation.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

My package is on its way to my person. I hope I punched enough holes in the box.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 PM

You people are far too organized. I'm still deliberating on what exactly to send; and payday is on Thursday...
Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Well, some of us have to send things a long long way.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM

My package isn't supposed to go that far, but my postal system has some pretty serious delays.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Oh, I'm aware of some of the distances involved and being in Canada I'm a little concerned about the backlog from Canada Post workers being forced back to work. I'm just slightly jealous of some people's organizational skills.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
You people are far too organized. I'm still deliberating on what exactly to send; and payday is on Thursday...
I’m with you too, among the lesser otganized. But I have a pretty good idea of what I’ll be sending.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

My gift will be homemade, and I'm having trouble getting some of the supplies I want, so it will probably get sent last minute.

I haven't been doing crafts for a while, and during my hiatus, every vial of super glue in the house dried up, including vials that have never been opened. This has never happened to me before; I didn't know it could happen. Let's just say, it's annoying.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Secret Santa is on its' way (sort of)

I purchased the goodies here in my country.

Went to the USA for family and gobble gobble. And decided to mail the pkg in the usa. Saving international shipping costs. So, I could purchase more goodies.

Turns out it is going to Canada?

Left the parcel in Utah. My family in Utah will mail soon.

Hope my giftee likes my selection.

Been in contact with Silver. Her tasks are not easy. Thanks Silvor for making Secret Santa happen.

Now back home. Awaiting Secret Santa. Thanks everyone for playing SS.

Didn't punch holes. The cat is out of the box.

Last edited by harmonicamoon; 11-28-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:36 PM

Just saw my giftee post something in another thread that gave me another idea of what to get them. I need to just get out and shop this weekend.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
...Been in contact with Silver. Her tasks are not easy. Thanks Silvor for making Secret Santa happen.
YES!! Brava!
Quote:
Now back home. Awaiting Secret Santa. Thanks everyone for playing SS.
YES, YES!! This is so much fun!
Quote:
Didn't punch holes. The cat is out of the box.
Oh well...
Old 11-28-2018, 02:26 PM

I am organized for a change and my SS gift is on its way - with a tracking number even!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:38 PM

My giftee has more challenging requests than the ones I've gotten in the past, which is fun. Also, s/he is far away, so I'd better get moving! I do have a few gifts ready to go, have to buy one more, then wrapping, packing, punching holes in the box, and off it will go.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 PM

My giftee will have to wait a bit longer than some. Hopefully shipping on Saturday, but also need to be out of town, and am expecting kittens to arrive the usual way here at home too. Crazy timing, all this action.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Just remember to punch holes in the box.
If she wants out that bad she can punch her own holes!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Argh, tracked the package I'm sending and it seems to be stuck somewhere. Hopefully things will get better.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Shopping is getting done tomorrow, package will hopefully be sent Monday.
No cats are being sent, though.
It will be *gasp* my first Xmas shopping for the season!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
No cats are being sent, though.
But are you ruling out hamsters?

According to the eleventy-billion tracking texts I'm getting from USPS, my giftee should be receiving The Package today--YAY!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:46 PM

Blimey, I think I'm the furthest away and I'm still at the 'deciding what to get' stage.

Well, okay, I have visited the local yarn shop...
Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM

All of my items are now purchased. Next step - package them up and off to the post office!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Am I the first to get their package?

ThelmaLou sent me a lot of goodies!

First there are two white chocolate "aspirin", for when I overdo it. There is a chocolate mold of the Alamo, which I'll probably open as soon as I finish typing. There is an item I've never seen before, a round fabric tortilla warmer. Her note says it can help keep warm anything else that fits. For 2019 there is a calendar, and each month has the recipe for a tasty sounding mixed drink. And since I like dachshunds there is a cute mat with a really long dachshund. It says "We are best friends. Always remember that when you fall, I'll pick you up. After I finish laughing."

It's all wonderful! Thank you so much, I am thrilled! I've been feeling blue for a while, this is a fantastic pick me up. ThelmaLou is the best!

PS I forgot to mention the postcard from a fancy chocolate shop, now all I have to do to get a free truffle is go to San Antonio.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
OMG! OMG! OMG!

Am I the first to get their package?

ThelmaLou sent me a lot of goodies!

First there are two white chocolate "aspirin", for when I overdo it. There is a chocolate mold of the Alamo, which I'll probably open as soon as I finish typing. There is an item I've never seen before, a round fabric tortilla warmer. Her note says it can help keep warm anything else that fits. For 2019 there is a calendar, and each month has the recipe for a tasty sounding mixed drink. And since I like dachshunds there is a cute mat with a really long dachshund. It says "We are best friends. Always remember that when you fall, I'll pick you up. After I finish laughing."

It's all wonderful! Thank you so much, I am thrilled! I've been feeling blue for a while, this is a fantastic pick me up. ThelmaLou is the best!

PS I forgot to mention the postcard from a fancy chocolate shop, now all I have to do to get a free truffle is go to San Antonio.
Yay! I'm so glad you like your goodies. (The dachshund thing is a pillowcase...)

That tortilla warmer is an amazing thing. The directions say you can steam veggies in there---If you try that, please report.
Quote:
Description

Soft, warm tortillas are the key to delicious tacos and fajitas—and this cloth warmer will keep them hot for up to an hour. Just tuck tortillas (or naan and pita) inside and pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds. The warmer stays cool to the touch while retaining heat inside, and its vibrant design makes it a fun addition to meals around the table.

Microwavable warmer keeps tortillas warm and soft for up to an hour

Tortilla warmer can also be used for heating bread, pita, empanadas, pancakes, waffles, naan and more

Recommended by Cook’s Illustrated
I'm glad the things cheered you up. That means the world to me.

P.S. I think I gave last year's giftee a tortilla warmer, too. If I keep doing this long enough, everyone will have one!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:35 PM

I just bought my giftee their items! That was fun! Now to just get them packed up and sent out.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Started the bulk of the homemade portion of my gifts last night, so now I've got momentum.

I rarely plan out my crafts in great detail, so the "design" process is mostly fiddling aimlessly with colors and textures until stuff clicks. I'm currently working from home as a phone CSR so this is a terrific way to multitask. (I love customers who just wanna bitch endlessly! My hands are free to make more gift components, and they pay me the same either way.)

Now y'all get to speculate what I'm making, to keep yourselves occupied until Santa arrives.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM

purplehorseshoe - considering our discussion of whether to put holes in our boxes, is it a handmade model of Schrodinger's cat?
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM

Ack! Project is going more slowly than hoped. I gotta ship to where... double Ack!!! Christmas is 12 days long, right?!?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:44 PM

OK, mine is all sent!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Mine will be sent Friday. I just can't get to the post office before then, but I have all Friday off.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Mine will be sent Friday. I just can't get to the post office before then, but I have all Friday off.
Speaking of The Post Office. I took my package to the local Post Office/FedEX/Boutique place where I usually drop off prepaid amazon returns and the like. They also do US Post Office functions. The clerk there weighed my package and told me the US Postage would be $22! I said (in effect) WTF?!?

I went home and got on the USPS.gov site where I have ordered stamps and stuff in the past. (I ordered personalized first class stamps for my friend for Christmas that have her dog's picture on them -- so cute!) I got out my coffee scale and weighed the package, 2.2 lbs, put in Baker's address, and voila! the postage was $11.75. I printed a label, took it to the post office, and shoved it in the package receiving slot without having to stand in line. I'm wondering now if that mini-post office is running a scam and if I should rat them out to the main post office.

Anyhoo, my point being, don't underestimate the convenience of paying for postage online and printing up your own mailing label. You still probably have to drop it off at the post office (Unless you can spot the USPS worker in his/her truck and give it to him/her), but you won't have to stand in line. Setting up an account at USPS.gov is very easy. (This is not a paid announcement.)

Carry on.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Speaking of The Post Office....The clerk there weighed my package and told me the US Postage would be $22! I said (in effect) WTF?!?
Yeah mine was $18 to send. Ah well, it's on its way to the USA!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
Yeah mine was $18 to send. Ah well, it's on its way to the USA!
My point was that it didn't cost $22 to send by US Mail; it cost $11.75 when I went online to the US Mail website and calculated the postage myself. The person at the mini-post office was intentionally or unintentionally sticking it to me. This package went within the continental United States.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:29 AM

You know what I like about this thread? Knowing that someone, somewhere is thinking about me and planning a gift for me. And someone doesn't know it, yet, but I've been thinking about them and I've sent them off a package.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 AM

It was a quiet night on tonight's shift so I'm on a roll. My giftee rattled off several items, one of which happens to be something I like to make. So, uh, hope you weren't kidding about liking that one thing on your list!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

EmilyG please PM me! I need to get in touch with you and your PM box is full!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

In my experience (USA), the Post Office clerk will quote you the highest rate (Super Duper Instant Delivery in Technicolor) first. There are cheaper rates, but you may have to ask. At my P.O., the customer can see a screen showing the options. I believe the "normal" rate is called Priority Mail. It's as reasonably priced as you're going to get, and the price includes tracking and insurance.

Currently the USPS is doing a good job of delivering packages within a couple of days. I actually prefer their service to FedEx or UPS.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM

OK, I have one gift left to put together, wrap it up and post away! I'm hoping to send my giftee's package out nlt Friday.

As an aside, I'd like to ask a quick question; If you're my giftee would you want me to send you the tracking number so you can wait with breathless anticipation as it slowwly makes it's way to you and thereby ruining who it's from a little prematurely or wait in the darkness?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM

kayT - I tried sending you a message, but my SDMB inbox still has too many messages for me to do anything.

I just got your package but haven't opened it.

Can you email me at [removed by Bone] ? Thank you.

Last edited by Bone; 12-04-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: removed email address at user request
Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks EmilyG. I sent you an e-mail. If you want you could ask an admin to delete your e-mail from your post.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Thanks EmilyG. I sent you an e-mail. If you want you could ask an admin to delete your e-mail from your post.
Got your email, sent you an email, and contacted the admins about my own post. Thanks
Old 12-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Just dropped off my package at the Post Office. I'm not exactly sure how long it will take to get from here to there, but we've got three weeks, so fingers crossed!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
In my experience (USA), the Post Office clerk will quote you the highest rate (Super Duper Instant Delivery in Technicolor) first. There are cheaper rates, but you may have to ask. At my P.O., the customer can see a screen showing the options. I believe the "normal" rate is called Priority Mail. It's as reasonably priced as you're going to get, and the price includes tracking and insurance.

Currently the USPS is doing a good job of delivering packages within a couple of days. I actually prefer their service to FedEx or UPS.
Not to keep flogging this deceased equine (which I appear to be doing), but the $22 quote from the mini-post office clerk was Priority Mail (not Express or registered or anything). The $11.75 that I printed from my own computer was likewise Priority Mail.

I think I'm going to call the local Real Post Office and rat out the mini-post office.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Wow do I feel terrible.

Someone has already gotten their package and I haven't even BOUGHT MY STUFF YET. Ugh. I'm a terrible person. Gotta find time!
Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
OK, I have one gift left to put together, wrap it up and post away! I'm hoping to send my giftee's package out nlt Friday.

As an aside, I'd like to ask a quick question; If you're my giftee would you want me to send you the tracking number so you can wait with breathless anticipation as it slowwly makes it's way to you and thereby ruining who it's from a little prematurely or wait in the darkness?
Yes, I think I'd want the tracking number. It would "ruin" the surprise of knowing who it's from but I think watching it slowly making its way to me would make up for it.