Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Someone has a box of fun headed their way as of today. I sent mine via UPS.

Just as an aside, while discussing postage, my wife and I had two visitors from Australia last week. We live in Indiana (USA). We took them shopping at an outlet mall and they absolutely loved the prices here. Afterward they wanted to ship their loot back to the land of Aussies as they have more stops on their trip so we boxed it all up and took it to the UPS Store with us today and shipped it for them. The grand total was almost $1200 to ship the two boxes to Australia. I about died, but paid for it anyway, and when I let the two ladies know they weren't shocked at all. They did save a lot at the outlet and got quite a haul, but I was blown away when I saw (and paid) the bill right there on the spot. Good thing I had some money in my bank account to cover it all. I had no idea it would cost that much.

Last edited by justanothermike; 12-04-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 PM

I shipped off a box to a still secret someone today.

I love thinking about them reading that and not knowing it is heading their way! It could be any of you...
Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Waiting for FedEx to bring stuff so I can ship it to my recipient....

*drumming fingers on desk...*
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM

One parcel sent on a long trip South!

Sent from the weird little post office I pass on the way in to college; it's in the entrance foyer of an insurance office... That's the first excuse I've had to go in there.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Got my package! Will post details later.

Sadly, my package I sent has been stuck somewhere since the end of November. Don't know what's going on. Maybe I can phone someone about it?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

OK, I just got back from my cruise, and my recipient is getting a loverly gift from Aruba! It'll be mailed this weekend.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Got my package!!! Sooo excited! Don't know who sent it 'cause I don't see a username on the package. Don't want to open it until I get mine sent. But I wanted to make sure that the sendee knew that it got here safe and sound. Goes back to furiously working on project...

Are you all sure that I can't just send a kitten? I have one right here -- climbing the Christmas tree. I will put a blanket in the box and some treats and lots of air holes...
Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly askew View Post
...Are you all sure that I can't just send a kitten? I have one right here -- climbing the Christmas tree. I will put a blanket in the box and some treats and lots of air holes...
Fine by me.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly askew View Post
Got my package!!! Sooo excited! Don't know who sent it 'cause I don't see a username on the package. Don't want to open it until I get mine sent. But I wanted to make sure that the sendee knew that it got here safe and sound. Goes back to furiously working on project...

Are you all sure that I can't just send a kitten? I have one right here -- climbing the Christmas tree. I will put a blanket in the box and some treats and lots of air holes...
Oh, go on and open it! You know you want to!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Glasperlenspiel View Post
And, more importantly, WE want you to! (You clearly have your priorities backward. )
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Glasperlenspiel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
And, more importantly, WE want you to! (You clearly have your priorities backward. )
Well, the package is at home and I am at work, so I can't open it at the moment even if I wanted to. I did bring my present that I am giving to work, so I am crocheting during my lunch break to speed things up.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 PM

I received my package today! I'd rather not open it until Christmas, or at least until my daughter gets home from college (because she loves the SD exchanges as much as I do), but rest assured, sweetly concerned Secret Santa, your package is safe and sound!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I'm going to the post office when I finish this message.

Just one clue:

Orange and black
Old 12-07-2018, 11:29 AM

My box arrived last night!!! My gawd, some of you people are seriously on the ball. It's a BIG box, too.

Thank you in advance, BludgeonMeSoftly! I haven't decided if I'll wait ... my holiday is a bit topsy turvy this year, and my I.T. Guy and I have already exchanged like, half our gifts for each other. Maybe it'll be nice to have an actual gift on the actual day.

Or maybe I'll rip into it gleefully at random. (Will report back, either way.)

My days off are Tues and Wedn so ideally mine will be mailed off next week on one of those days.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayna View Post
I received my package today! I'd rather not open it until Christmas, or at least until my daughter gets home from college (because she loves the SD exchanges as much as I do), but rest assured, sweetly concerned Secret Santa, your package is safe and sound!

The last time I tracked the package I sent, it did say that it got there.

kayT, thank you so much for the package of gifts! I got it a few days ago, but haven't had the chance to post until now. The potholder will be useful as I love baking. The license plate with my name on it is neat! The kitten calendar is adorable, and will be useful as well. Love the cat card! And thanks for the homemade shawl and the shirt, and yes, the shirt fits perfectly!

I got some pictures, and I'll try to post them soon.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by EmilyG; 12-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

EmilyG, I'm glad you liked your package. Sorry the UPS idiots made the delivery less than optimal!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:57 PM

And my package has been mailed at the post office! It should arrive to my giftee on Monday!
Old 12-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

My package is on its' way!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:51 AM

I'm finally off to post a package today. Yay! Would my giftee like a 3 day old kitten? I have several on offer.... (crazy week, thank goodness for emergency pet hospital).
Old 12-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Okay, gifts are in the bag, tag is done, packaging now, and off to the post office!
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 12-08-2018, 02:26 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My package is securely taped, addressed, and ready to be mailed. Unfortunately, the post offices close at noon here, so it'll be mailed on Monday. I forgot to put a card inside, but I did put (FCM) after my name in the return address. Plus it's obviously a gift from Aruba.

I have not received anything yet - not nagging - just sayin'!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I'm going to the post office when I finish this message.

Just one clue:

Orange and black
Sending kittens is one thing, but a tiger?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Sending kittens is one thing, but a tiger?
The box would have to be really big, with lots of airholes.

But no, those are team colors!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Okay! Finally got mine sent off. Turned out to be cheaper to send it in two padded envelopes, instead of one box; so my Santee should look out for both.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Okay! Finally got mine sent off. Turned out to be cheaper to send it in two padded envelopes, instead of one box; so my Santee should look out for both.
Did you happen to receive a box, perhaps yesterday morning at your side door?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
My box arrived last night!!! My gawd, some of you people are seriously on the ball. It's a BIG box, too.

Thank you in advance, BludgeonMeSoftly! I haven't decided if I'll wait ... my holiday is a bit topsy turvy this year, and my I.T. Guy and I have already exchanged like, half our gifts for each other. Maybe it'll be nice to have an actual gift on the actual day.

Or maybe I'll rip into it gleefully at random. (Will report back, either way.)

My days off are Tues and Wedn so ideally mine will be mailed off next week on one of those days.
I get so torn about it too! I want to know what it is but I love the anticipation but I want it under the tree but I can't wait but it will be more fun but AAAAAAHHHHH!

I support you painful decision either way lol
Old 12-08-2018, 10:29 PM

*dancing and hopping on one foot like a kid that's gotta pee*
Old 12-09-2018, 04:27 AM

I finished my shopping today, and in so doing I met up with a very nice story. There was the annual German Christmas festival in the next town over, with lots of local artisans. My wife and I enjoyed the evening strolling hand-in-hand through the place, listening to live German music and carollers, and browsing the booths with nice crafts for sale. I bought a couple of items for my giftee, from local artisans. The nice story has to do with one item I bought for my giftee.

I like woven textiles, and this one booth had nice, hand-woven items, with pieces tastefully done, in wool that felt soft and inviting. I pulled my wife into the booth. All items were made from alpaca wool, and there was a scenic picture of alpacas in a mountainous region that caught my eye. A young lady with a nice smile then came up and introduced herself to us, and explained that all the products come from 12,000’ high up in the Andes mountains in Peru by the ladies in the picture — sure enough, behind the alpacas were Peruvian ladies I hadn’t noticed. Those ladies spin all the wool by hand, and they weave the articles that I saw for sale, and then this lady brings them to sell in the US. The sales helps support the families back in Peru.

She lives here in California and has traveled to Peru 16 times over the years (she’s probably in her 30s, or so) and has connected with people there. She started this business that is now supporting Peruvian ladies who normally would not be able to bring their wares to such markets. My wife and I enjoyed her story of enabling those Peruvian ladies and helping them with their business and crafts. We bought some items and I got my giftee a nice surprise item that will get shipped in the next couple of days. I hope my giftee likes the item!

The alpaca wool items can be seen at the lady’s web site, www.culturalThreads.com, and the picture I mentioned is here, at the top of this page: http://culturalthreads.com/about-alp...tural-threads/.

(I have no affiliation with that lady or her company other than we just met her tonight, her crafts were nice, so was her story, and we just became her customer.)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Ya know, for an ex-Jehovah's Witness who's only celebrated Christmas once or twice in his life, justanothermike has really grasped the aesthetic of the season. His package arrived on Friday, and I opened it today.

Oh my. I'm kinda technologically clueless (thus my username), and I wish I could post photos of the package. It was gorgeous. I opened the box to find tissue paper scattered with puffy peppermint balls. Which are one of my favorite candies (pro tip: one or two dropped in a mug of hot chocolate makes for a hella yummy bevvy!).

Underneath were four beautifully wrapped gifts: a really cool top, that when spun actually turns itself over to balance on the spindle, and a cube of those magnetic balls that can be squished, or formed up into a chain, or generally fidgeted with. Balm to my squirrel soul, and irresistible to my magpie eye. Telling ya now, gonna waste a lot of time with those shinies!

The third package was a shiny that's actually useful - a key-shaped multitool with a bottle opener, screwdriver, serrated edge and nail file. Will be handy to have on my keychain.

Next was an assortment of European chocolate. The phrase "European chocolate" should be sufficient to convey my reaction to that gift.

Under another layer of tissue paper was a wicking tee shirt bearing the logo of the Louisville Cardinals, justanothermike's team.A really high-quality running shirt, which I'll be happy to wear; especially as I lived in Louisville for a couple of years when I was a child. My sister was born there. So, happy to rep the Cards! Weather permitting, I'll wear it on my next group run.

All of these things were wrapped beautifully, too. justanothermike even lined the bottom of the box in cheery Christmas paper. (Mrs.SMV suspects female involvement, especially when I told her that justanothermike's partner is also a former JW who's gotten excited about Christmas and birthdays...)

justanothermike, as another poster said upthread, it has been so fun watching you explore these celebrations that you missed out on as a child. I'd say you've got the Christmas spirit pretty well nailed down. Your gifts were thoughtfully chosen and beautifully presented. Thank you so much for this wonderful package - today is gloomy and cold and I was feeling down (which is why I said "Screw waiting until Christmas, I'm opening my prezzie now! "). Your gift lifted and delighted me. I hope you and your lovely lady have an absolutely magical holiday!

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 12-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:41 PM

OK, I got my...stuff..together and it is now on its way Southward! No holes in the box as the cat has SCUBA gear!!! I've taken the liberty of furnishing the tracking # to my giftee so they can obsessively see where it is and I don't have to.

Silvorange, you rock for making this happen! Just had to say that again.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Ok I sent my gift last week, hopefully my gift (that I'll get) won't get returned to sender....I only have a chance to check my box Two days this week and one day next week.

Last edited by smokey78; 12-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 AM

I realized this morning that the box is in fact, not full of water and therefore said hypothetical cat actually has SCBA not SCUBA gear... Sorry for the inconvenience... Also, fitting a tiny little Scott pack to a calico isn't nearly as easy as you'd think.

* All in jest to those of you who are thinking what kind of idiot would do this.*

Last edited by swampspruce; 12-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I realized this morning that the box is in fact, not full of water and therefore said hypothetical cat actually has SCBA not SCUBA gear... Sorry for the inconvenience... Also, fitting a tiny little Scott pack to a calico isn't nearly as easy as you'd think.

* All in jest to those of you who are thinking what kind of idiot would do this.*
So, no holes in the box, but several new ones in you?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Package has been sent! I hope it gets there by Christmas. Sounds like customs may slow things down and I can't track it through customs.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Ugh! Had a rough weekend and didn't get my box packed for shipping today.

I will get it out this week. I think it will still make it for Christmas, but if not, my giftee will have a New Year's gift.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM

So I didn't see any packages in my box today...my next trip will be Saturday to look in the box. Then possibly Monday 17th...and then...Dec 29 Saturday. So guess could call it New Yrs Day gift!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
So, no holes in the box, but several new ones in you?
As [s]owner[/s] servant of a calico I can corroborate that they only add to the ones I already have courtesy of same...

Last edited by swampspruce; 12-10-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Stupid strikethrough tags don't work....
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Important Technical Terminology

By the way, thought I'd just mention that having a big old gleeful squee about all the cool stuff you got in a package or on a shopping expedition etc. is known as a "loot gloat".

I hope my recipient will be able to join the fun soon as I'm shipping my parcel tomorrow!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
By the way, thought I'd just mention that having a big old gleeful squee about all the cool stuff you got in a package or on a shopping expedition etc. is known as a "loot gloat".

I hope my recipient will be able to join the fun soon as I'm shipping my parcel tomorrow!
Not a "schwag squeal"?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Slow Moving Vehicle - I loved reading what you got from justanothermike! What wonderful gifts!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
Slow Moving Vehicle - I loved reading what you got from justanothermike! What wonderful gifts!
Yeah, he really went all out. I truly wish I had a way to post photos of the package, because it was beautifully wrapped.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I nominate Mr. & Mrs. justanothermike for Co-Santas of the Year!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Thelma Lou, I have to tell you the Alamo has fallen. It is no more.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ya know, for an ex-Jehovah's Witness who's only celebrated Christmas once or twice in his life, justanothermike has really grasped the aesthetic of the season. His package arrived on Friday, and I opened it today.

Oh my. I'm kinda technologically clueless (thus my username), and I wish I could post photos of the package. It was gorgeous. I opened the box to find tissue paper scattered with puffy peppermint balls. Which are one of my favorite candies (pro tip: one or two dropped in a mug of hot chocolate makes for a hella yummy bevvy!).

Underneath were four beautifully wrapped gifts: a really cool top, that when spun actually turns itself over to balance on the spindle, and a cube of those magnetic balls that can be squished, or formed up into a chain, or generally fidgeted with. Balm to my squirrel soul, and irresistible to my magpie eye. Telling ya now, gonna waste a lot of time with those shinies!

The third package was a shiny that's actually useful - a key-shaped multitool with a bottle opener, screwdriver, serrated edge and nail file. Will be handy to have on my keychain.

Next was an assortment of European chocolate. The phrase "European chocolate" should be sufficient to convey my reaction to that gift.

Under another layer of tissue paper was a wicking tee shirt bearing the logo of the Louisville Cardinals, justanothermike's team.A really high-quality running shirt, which I'll be happy to wear; especially as I lived in Louisville for a couple of years when I was a child. My sister was born there. So, happy to rep the Cards! Weather permitting, I'll wear it on my next group run.

All of these things were wrapped beautifully, too. justanothermike even lined the bottom of the box in cheery Christmas paper. (Mrs.SMV suspects female involvement, especially when I told her that justanothermike's partner is also a former JW who's gotten excited about Christmas and birthdays...)

justanothermike, as another poster said upthread, it has been so fun watching you explore these celebrations that you missed out on as a child. I'd say you've got the Christmas spirit pretty well nailed down. Your gifts were thoughtfully chosen and beautifully presented. Thank you so much for this wonderful package - today is gloomy and cold and I was feeling down (which is why I said "Screw waiting until Christmas, I'm opening my prezzie now! "). Your gift lifted and delighted me. I hope you and your lovely lady have an absolutely magical holiday!
I love it SMV! Thanks for such a detailed post. I had posted earlier asking if you got the package at the side door because I'm always paranoid about packages not reaching their destination or being left somewhere weird from personal experience. I'm so glad that it reached you.

Let's just go ahead and admit that my wife, BludgeonMeSoftly, was behind the wrapping. Yes it was very beautifully done. She has really loved getting into wrapping gifts in our new life. If I had wrapped it you would have thought that a child sent you a box of cool gifts that maybe an adult picked out, lol. I try but I'm not good at wrapping gifts.

What I do enjoy is buying gifts. I love trying to get in the head of another person and figuring out what might make them happy. I had a lot of fun picking out things for you and I identified with what you posted. Admittedly I had to look up what a magpie was. You have quite the way with words and I loved your "balm to my squirrel soul" remark. That's very relatable to me personally.

How cool that you lived in Louisville at one point! It's a small world. It's even smaller for me because I've never lived anywhere but the Louisville area.

I'm so glad that people enjoy watching us go through this journey and celebrating the holidays now. I also love that my box of gifts brightened a blah day.

We're visiting some new friends for a Christmas Eve Eve party and experiencing our first ever "white elephant" gift exchange along with a cookie exchange. The holidays are a wonderful time and we're so happy to be able to enjoy them now. It's a shame that we can't enjoy them with our family but it's so cool to be able to experience them with new friends and families that have adopted us into their own.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Haha, awesome. We've both had our gifts make it to their destinations. No pressure "purplehorseshoe", but Slow Moving Vehicle has given you a glimpse into what my wife BludgeonMeSoftly has in store for you in the box in your possession.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Thelma Lou, I have to tell you the Alamo has fallen. It is no more.

El Deguello (music)

Quote:
The Degüello (Spanish: El toque a degüello) is a bugle call, notable in the US for its use as a march by Mexican Army buglers during the 1836 Siege and Battle of the Alamo[1] to signal that the defenders of the garrison would receive no quarter by the attacking Mexican Army under General Antonio López de Santa Anna. The Degüello was introduced to the Americas by the Spanish armies and was later adopted by the patriot armies fighting against them during the Spanish American wars of independence. It was also widely used by Simon Bolivar's armies, notably during the Battle of Junin[2] and the Battle of Ayacucho.[3]

"Degüello" is a Spanish noun from the verb "degollar", to describe the action of throat-cutting. More figuratively, it means "give no quarter."[1] It "signifies the act of beheading or throat-cutting and in Spanish history became associated with the battle music, which, in different versions, meant complete destruction of the enemy without mercy."[4] It is similar to the war cry "¡A degüello!" used by Cuban rebels in the 19th century to launch mounted charges against the Spanish infantry.

Wiki
Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Seconded!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Best Job Evarrr!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Today I got nominated for Co-Santa of the year AND I got my Secret Santa prezzie in the mail!!! Take that Monday!

I put the padded envelope under the Christmas tree while I ate dinner so it could soak in lots of Christmas cheer until I could open it. As soon as I finished my Taco salad, I tore right in.

The first thing I opened was the card which was so bright and colorful and cheery. It has zinnias all over which was a nice reminder of my garden last summer. As a seasoned Secret Santa participant (I did it last year AND this year) I know to wait to read the card after I look at my goodies.

First off, I got a rainbow of colors of embroidery floss which will feed my habit nicely. So many colors!

Next is a very nice sketchbook. The fabric cover feels classy and the tree sketch on the front cover is very pretty. Lots of blank pages just waiting to be filled with scribbles.

Next comes a packet of stencils with my favorite - turtles! Also adorable birds and squirrels. I'll be painting animals on all of my possessions now!

And those aren't even the best things I got!!

The last gift was wrapped in bubble wrap at the bottom. It is a beautiful wire and bead lizard. Now it is time to read the card, which tell the story of the lizard. And it's a good one! My Doper volunteers with an organization that works with Broadway shows to raise money to fight AIDS in South Africa. This lizard was sold after The Lion King to raise money for the foundation. Also the lizard himself was hand made by South African women to help feed and educate thr children in their village. The bright beads on my lizard seem even more colorful knowing that he has helped so many people on his path to me across the planet!

I think that the organization that she volunteers for is a very awesome one. I actually donated to it when @justanothermike and I went to The Book of Mormon and got a very funny tote bag for it.

So thank you @eyebrowsofdoom I am so very pleased with my gift. And knowing that it came from somebody with such an awesome Doper name I just adds to it lol. The mental image I get from your name scares me a little, but I think we're gonna be friends after all. Yay Christmas!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BludgeonMeSoftly View Post
I put the padded envelope under the Christmas tree while I ate dinner so it could soak in lots of Christmas cheer until I could open it. As soon as I finished my Taco salad, I tore right in.

I love a woman who has lots of NO self-control. I hope you also eat dessert first. (I do.)

What fab prezzies! This is so great-- fun shopping, fun receiving, and loads of fun hearing about everyone's gifts.

Silverorange, you are The Bomb.