Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 AM

Yay!! I am so happy that everything made it to you and you enjoyed the gifts! It was so much fun picking out different crafty type things. The turtle stencils were so cute. I'm glad you like the lizard! And that you were familiar with the Broadway charity just makes it even better!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Finally, got my package sent off yesterday. Heading north and through customs, hopefully it will get there by Christmas. The tracking number is good up to the border, I'll know that much at least.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Finished up the handmade items (unless I keep going and make another one tonight) and heading out now to shop for the "local" portion of the package. Since I don't know exactly my person's taste, I figured it was better to make an assortment of smaller things, instead of one big blowout item that may not be quite to their personal preference.

Should be boxed and ready to take to the p.o. tomorrow. This is possibly the most on-time I have ever been for this thing. *holy crap face*
Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Package mailed today. I forgot to put it in the car yesterday, and after I got home, I wasn't about to go back out... It should arrive in Friday, according to the nice lady at the Loveville post office.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Okay, tried to mail package Saturday but my postal branch office was closed. I miss the old location already. It got mailed today.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Package mailed today. Hope it gets there soon. There's a cat but no holes.

Last edited by BeeGee; 12-12-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Glasperlenspiel View Post
Oh, go on and open it! You know you want to!
Finally got a chance to open my presents!!!! Thanks Das Glasperlenspiel! The ornament is beautiful!!! It's a glass ornament with a beaded overlay. Did you make it? (Unfortunately our kitten likes to climb the tree so I need to find a spot to display it where she can't get to it.)

Then, in another box, there is a lovely mug decorated with maple leaves, which I take to be a nod to Canada, where Das Glasperlenspiel is from. It will be put to use in the morning with my coffee.

Then there were two kinds of chocolate. I already tried the butter caramel, which was amazing, but rich. I will be rationing that.

Finally a fun card with rabbits (hares) dancing in the moonlight.

Thank you so much! I love everything!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 PM

I mailed a PACKage toDAY-ay!!!

Er, a SDMBSS-related package, I mean. Not just taking up space in this thread to keep everybody posted [hee] on my random snailmail activities.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly askew View Post
Finally got a chance to open my presents!!!! Thanks Das Glasperlenspiel! The ornament is beautiful!!! It's a glass ornament with a beaded overlay. Did you make it? (Unfortunately our kitten likes to climb the tree so I need to find a spot to display it where she can't get to it.)

Then, in another box, there is a lovely mug decorated with maple leaves, which I take to be a nod to Canada, where Das Glasperlenspiel is from. It will be put to use in the morning with my coffee.

Then there were two kinds of chocolate. I already tried the butter caramel, which was amazing, but rich. I will be rationing that.

Finally a fun card with rabbits (hares) dancing in the moonlight.

Thank you so much! I love everything!
I’m so glad you like it! I did indeed bead the overlay on the ornament (with a little feline assistance). The chocolates are made by Rogers, an institution in Victoria (BC). I can make one of those last three days - a nibble at a time. My brother sends me a box every year for my birthday!

This exchange has been so much fun; I can’t wait to do it again next year. Thank you, Silveorange, for doing this!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 AM

I made it to UPS with 2 minutes to spare last night - my package is en route!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM

I should have posted sooner...my package arrived a couple days ago. I am not allowing myself to open until I get my shit together and get my giftee's package in the mail. I just wanted my sender to know it arrived. User name is not on the outside of the package, but it came from Topeka!

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 12-13-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:06 PM

Sorry I haven't been keeping up. I was dragged away on a road trip with all three of my sisters. Miraculously, no murders were committed. Now to play catch up: I have senders bolded and receivers added next to them, except for a couple who haven't opened theirs yet. If I've left you off, let me know!

Every year, I get this all together and am taken by surprise when I get a package myself. You'd think I wouldn't forget, but I always do. This year, I was surprised with a box from vivalostwages! I have already terrified my dog with the enclosed duck pen. It quacks and lights up when you press its head down. This may be my new weapon against canine pizza theft. The blue owl with a corkscrew under its wing gets to hang out and be best friends with my husband's bear bottle opener. I never seem to have a corkscrew when I need one, so maybe there will be less cussing on New Year's Eve! My daughter tried to steal the Bob Mackie sunglasses, but she is out of luck. I can't always find sunglasses that provide full coverage and fit my enormous noggin, and these are just right! Last of all, a most appropriate gift for someone in Bourbon country: a whiskey glass and ice mold. The ice mold is in the shape of an iceberg, so when you take it out of the frozen glass, you get an iceberg to put in another glass and a reverse iceberg in which to pour your whiskey. That one is sitting in my freezer. Thank you and Merry Christmas, vivalostwages!

1. Slow Moving Vehicle-->
2. Baker-->
3 ThelmaLou -->Baker
4. purplehorseshoe-->
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom-->
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna-->
9. carnut-->
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy-->
12. vivalostwages-->Silvorange
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew-->
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike-->
17. Kimstu-->
18. ioioio
19. Filbert-->
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon-->
22. BeeGee-->
23. BludgeonMeSoftly-->purplehorseshoe
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT -->EmilyG
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
29. Emily G -->
30. Das Glasperlenspiel -->slightly askew
31. Eyebrows 0f Doom-->BludgeonMeSoftly
32. txobbin-->
33. smokey78

Received with sender still secret: Nayna, Rhiannon8404
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvorange View Post
... I have senders bolded and receivers added next to them, except for a couple who haven't opened theirs yet. If I've left you off, let me know!
Ummm... what are the unbolded names?
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Yeah... what's up with that??!!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 PM

Starting to get a bit concerned; I consigned my two padded envelopes to the tender mercies of the USPS last Saturday, and was given an ETA of Tuesday. My Secret Santee has not yet reported that she’s received them. If no news by Monday, I’ll out myself and ask her directly if she’s seen them.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Yeah... what's up with that??!!
Your smiley seems to indicate that you know. So please 'splain to me.

Are these people who have not said they've sent a package, nor have they said they've received one?
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Your smiley seems to indicate that you know. So please 'splain to me.

Are these people who have not said they've sent a package, nor have they said they've received one?
I did a smiley because I’m one of the non-bolded ones. Maybe I used the wrong smiley — instead of the SEG-smiley (shit eating grin) , maybe I should have used a regular smiley .
Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvorange View Post
Sorry I haven't been keeping up. I was dragged away on a road trip with all three of my sisters. Miraculously, no murders were committed. Now to play catch up: I have senders bolded and receivers added next to them, except for a couple who haven't opened theirs yet. If I've left you off, let me know!

Every year, I get this all together and am taken by surprise when I get a package myself. You'd think I wouldn't forget, but I always do. This year, I was surprised with a box from vivalostwages! I have already terrified my dog with the enclosed duck pen. It quacks and lights up when you press its head down. This may be my new weapon against canine pizza theft. The blue owl with a corkscrew under its wing gets to hang out and be best friends with my husband's bear bottle opener. I never seem to have a corkscrew when I need one, so maybe there will be less cussing on New Year's Eve! My daughter tried to steal the Bob Mackie sunglasses, but she is out of luck. I can't always find sunglasses that provide full coverage and fit my enormous noggin, and these are just right! Last of all, a most appropriate gift for someone in Bourbon country: a whiskey glass and ice mold. The ice mold is in the shape of an iceberg, so when you take it out of the frozen glass, you get an iceberg to put in another glass and a reverse iceberg in which to pour your whiskey. That one is sitting in my freezer. Thank you and Merry Christmas, vivalostwages!

2. Baker-->
3 ThelmaLou -->Baker
4. purplehorseshoe-->
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom-->
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna-->
9. carnut-->
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy-->
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew-->
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike-->
17. Kimstu-->
18. ioioio
19. Filbert-->
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon-->
22. BeeGee-->
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT -->EmilyG
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
29. Emily G -->
32. txobbin-->
33. smokey78

You are most welcome. Glad you liked all the goodies. I do aim to please.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I did a smiley because I’m one of the non-bolded ones. Maybe I used the wrong smiley — instead of the SEG-smiley (shit eating grin) , maybe I should have used a regular smiley .
Why are you nonbolded?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I assumed the bolded ones reported sending their packages already.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM

But,but,but I sent my package off and all that... Now I feel like a Sad Panda.....

OK, I don't but perhaps we shouldn't delve too deeply into the mysteries of Silvorange's inner workings.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Non-bolded means I didn't see that you have sent one off, but I do miss things. That's why I say to correct me if my list is wrong. It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Why are you nonbolded?
Just seeing this now, and I didn’t know why until it was explained just now.

ETA, it’s correct, I have not yet shipped my gift. Although I have everything that I’ll send.

Last edited by Bullitt; 12-14-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM

Is this right? I hope this is right.

2. Baker-->
3 ThelmaLou -->Baker
4. purplehorseshoe-->
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom-->
7. swampspruce-->
8. Nayna-->
9. carnut-->
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy-->
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew-->
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike-->slowmovingvehicle
17. Kimstu-->
18. ioioio
19. Filbert-->
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon-->
22. BeeGee-->
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT -->EmilyG
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
29. Emily G -->
32. txobbin-->
33. smokey78

Last edited by Silvorange; 12-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:51 PM

My package seems to be bouncing around Illinois trying to find its way out of the country. Really hoped it would have gotten farther by now. Sigh
Old 12-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Ooh I got a notice I had something delivered today! I am out right now but now I have something to look forward to opening when I get home tonight!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 PM

OhmygodOhmygodOhmygod-- I am so excited!

Carnut has showered me with the most wonderful assortment of prezzies!

There's a jar of jam made by Her Ownself with a really cute name: "U Maple Me Berry" --but get these ingredients: organic sugar, blueberries, raspberries, pectin...and...wait for it... Canadian maple whiskey liqueur. She suggests it's good on ice cream, toast, or cake. Probably also great on cardboard... or on a spoon right out of the jar.

A beautiful long scarf in citrus colors (did I mention my fave color is orange?). It came from the shop of the mother of one of Carnut's co-workers. I will wear it tomorrow. It's been very gray around here.

A pair of earrings with triangular wooden pieces-- the earrings made by an artist who uses wood scraps from her husband's workshop. This is quite meaningful to me, because my late husband did woodwork, as did my dear friend who died in June.

Two candy treats-- a salted nut roll (that won't last long) and a box of assorted chocolates from a company that's been in the Twin Cities area for over 100 years.

A wonderful cookbook, "Best of the Best from Minnesota." I adore these kinds of cookbooks with regional family recipes and plenty of casseroles (or what I believe Minnesotans call "hot dish").

To put it all in, a big Trader Joe's tote bag with long handles (thank you) so I can carry it on my shoulder.

I really hit the jackpot! Carnut, thank you so much-- I love everything.

Now off to sample some of the edibles...

Silverorange, again thanks for organizing this. So much fun!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Um, ThelmaLou, exactly where in Texas do you live, anyhow? And do you need some help with that "U Maple Me Berry" jam? Maybe a taster, to be sure it's safe to eat?

I myself have no package (sniff) (looking pathetic).

ETA: no package yet.

Last edited by kayT; 12-14-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Um, ThelmaLou, exactly where in Texas do you live, anyhow? And do you need some help with that "U Maple Me Berry" jam? Maybe a taster, to be sure it's safe to eat?

I myself have no package (sniff) (looking pathetic).

ETA: no package yet.
I'm in San Antonio. Bring a couple of spoons, and a half gallon of H-E-B Homemade Vanilla ice cream and meet me at the Outlet Malls.

Looks like y'all are getting a ginormous present from Apple. It's not that I hate progress, but I long for the Austin of the late 1970s. Okay, I hate progress.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 PM

Sent my package east yesterday afternoon. Hint: it will be travelling nearly the entire length of US 50.

Having sent my package, I finally allowed myself to open my box. I reported up thread that I wasn't sure who it was from, but now I know it was from Baker!

The first thing I saw was a skein of gorgeous, super soft, rich brown skein of alpaca yarn. Next was an adorable Christmas stocking appliqued with a dog who has the cutest button nose and eyes. I will be drinking my coffee from a Caribou Coffee mug with two Scottie dogs in Christmas sweaters while I am enjoying my SF Giants colored candies!

Thank you so much, Baker! I love everything.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 PM

Ooh I have not one, but two packages to open! Wow one is pretty heavy.

They are from Slow Moving Vehicle. Now to open them!

OH THAT'S SO COOL! I LOVE IT! The heavy item is a gorgeous framed print of one of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies! "H is for Hector done in by a thug." That is going right on my wall!

But there is more! A fancy dark chocolate bar with coconut and sea-salt from a local Atlanta chocolateir. Those are my favorite flavors!

Holy crap! OMG the smile on my face right now. This is seriously like the coolest gift I've ever received: a book called "Medieval Punishments: An Illustrated History of Torture"! That is AWESOME! I can't wait to read it and freak people out on the subway!

You have excellent handwriting btw! The neighborhood curiosity shop where all these cool things came from sounds exactly like the type of store I would spend hours browsing! I love the story you included about the Clermont Lounge. Local things like that are always so fascinating to learn!

Man I couldn't have imagined a better bunch of gifts, these are seriously so cool.

Thank you Slow Moving Vehicle!!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Sent my package east yesterday afternoon. Hint: it will be travelling nearly the entire length of US 50.

Having sent my package, I finally allowed myself to open my box. I reported up thread that I wasn't sure who it was from, but now I know it was from Baker!

The first thing I saw was a skein of gorgeous, super soft, rich brown skein of alpaca yarn. Next was an adorable Christmas stocking appliqued with a dog who has the cutest button nose and eyes. I will be drinking my coffee from a Caribou Coffee mug with two Scottie dogs in Christmas sweaters while I am enjoying my SF Giants colored candies!

Thank you so much, Baker! I love everything.
I'm glad you liked the stuff. You said you liked dogs, especially pits, but I couldn't find pit stuff, so I got the cup and the stocking. And you crossed your fingers when I mentioned the yarn shop, so yarn seemed a natural. The candy was indeed picked for the team, since you said you were a fan.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The package arrived today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My package is securely taped, addressed, and ready to be mailed. Unfortunately, the post offices close at noon here, so it'll be mailed on Monday. I forgot to put a card inside, but I did put (FCM) after my name in the return address. Plus it's obviously a gift from Aruba.

I have not received anything yet - not nagging - just sayin'!
Thank you, FairyChatMom. I was very impressed with your packaging and wrapping skills. You must be an organized efficient person.

I received a brightly colored table runner from Aruba. It's lovely and nice to touch.
FCM also sent me a gingerbread man baking kit and a 2019 datebook.

Now I can be bold!

- - -

I hope my Santee has not despaired. I plan to mail the package on Monday. I'm making something by hand, and it has not been cooperating.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 AM

Hi,

I think I received my package today! I’m not certain, though. It came from a name and address I don’t recognize. Neither does my wife. The return address did not have a Doper name, it was a real name.

I have not shipped my package yet, so I’m not going to open this one until I do — that might be tomorrow, Saturday the 15th, or Monday the 17th.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:05 AM

Ha, I'm not the only one for whom "wait to open 'till you sent your shit out" somehow made more sense than "wait till Dec. 25."

My box from BludgeonMeSoftly was filled with peppermint candy! Like, almost as packing peanuts. But, y'know, tastier. *nom* Actually, that's really practical, which earns double bonus points. Candy as multitaskers.

Inside there is an assortment of things, each in lovely wrapping. I found a magnet that says "Say Yes" wrapped in amazing double sided paper. One side is a pretty blue swirly pattern, and then the other is this gorgeous iridescent peacock pattern, like it had to go & outdo itself.

Did you make the magnet? I like the subtle colors, it kind of whispers the message.

Then I found an envelope labeled "hand made just for you" and inside ... y'all ... she quilled a horseshoe in shades of purple. For me. That takes some FORETHOUGHT and I got so verklempt that I had to pause the whole thing for a bit.

So I'm saving the other little bits in their pretty blue paper, and the big mystery roll, so I can savor the fun even longer.

Oh, the rolled-up or cylindrical gift is covered with blue and purple sparkly owl stickers ... and somewhere my box is traveling safely, strengthened by the owl themed duct tape I used all over it. Which is also blue and purple.

Funny little coincidence, I guess, but it made me do the mental version of a double-take.

Thank you BludgeonMeSoftly I am genuinely delighted, and of course, that's just Pt. I of my delighted reports.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:53 AM

A horseshoe in shades of purple, for purplehorseshoe — too cool! To me it begs the question, what does your user name mean, can you tell us?

And, such a poignant description there — wait to open ‘til you send your shit out. But it fits!

It’s not easy, this waiting. I can hear that package calling out to me, Open me!, Open me! It’s almost like a — Let me out! Let me out!

But I wait. I wait.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Ooh I have not one, but two packages to open! Wow one is pretty heavy.

They are from Slow Moving Vehicle. Now to open them!

OH THAT'S SO COOL! I LOVE IT! The heavy item is a gorgeous framed print of one of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies! "H is for Hector done in by a thug." That is going right on my wall!

But there is more! A fancy dark chocolate bar with coconut and sea-salt from a local Atlanta chocolateir. Those are my favorite flavors!

Holy crap! OMG the smile on my face right now. This is seriously like the coolest gift I've ever received: a book called "Medieval Punishments: An Illustrated History of Torture"! That is AWESOME! I can't wait to read it and freak people out on the subway!

You have excellent handwriting btw! The neighborhood curiosity shop where all these cool things came from sounds exactly like the type of store I would spend hours browsing! I love the story you included about the Clermont Lounge. Local things like that are always so fascinating to learn!

Man I couldn't have imagined a better bunch of gifts, these are seriously so cool.

Thank you Slow Moving Vehicle!!
Whew! Glad you got them; I was beginning to get worried!

I hope they make up for the crappy gift your last Secret Santa gave you. When I read that you liked the macabre, I immediately thought of Odd’s Ends. Besides the antique mortician’s tools and torture instruments, the store itself is kinda cool - it’s located in a 19th century house that was ordered from the Sears catalog. Yes, back in the day, you could buy a house from Sears. (Some assembly required .)

Thanks for the compliment on my handwriting; the note is supposed to make up for the redneck wrapping job. (I was worried about the picture getting broken in the mail).

I had a lot of fun picking these out; I’m glad they brought a smile to your face!
Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM

package is winging its way west. it should arrive on st. Nicholas day (for Julian calendar types).
Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Thank you, FairyChatMom. I was very impressed with your packaging and wrapping skills. You must be an organized efficient person.

I received a brightly colored table runner from Aruba. It's lovely and nice to touch.
FCM also sent me a gingerbread man baking kit and a 2019 datebook.

Now I can be bold!

- - -

I hope my Santee has not despaired. I plan to mail the package on Monday. I'm making something by hand, and it has not been cooperating.
Glad to hear it arrived - I left the confirmation number on my desk at work... And golly, gee, it wasn't just gingerbread men, it's Ninjabread men! They looked epic! Hope they taste good.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Alright. The gifts are wrapped and packed in their shipping box. I think I wrapped them nicely. I picked out a decorative card and my note is written, including a brief explanation of the local artists who created their works. It's all taped up, ready to ship.

Now, just gotta get to the USPS on Monday or Tuesday. It'll head eastward, from California.

I hope my giftee likes it. The anticipation... it's exciting!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:31 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I got my box of goodies today from the lovely and charming Rhiannon8404!!! YAY!! She enclosed a card explaining all the goodies, which are all local to her area.

From where she grew up:
Olive oil (plain and basil) and balsamic vinegar (my daughter were eyeing these...)
Chocolates!!
An Apple Hill candle - it smells yummy!
Placerville Hardware fridge magnet (from a store going back to the Gold rush! Very cool!)

From where she is now:
Sacramento magnet (in lieu of a politician, and I do appreciate that)
And almonds (grown and processed in Sacramento)

The magnets are already at work on my fridge, and I don't expect the chocolates to last till midnight. I'm going to share the almonds with my spousal unit, because I'm nice, dammit, and when I burn the candle, I'll allow everyone to enjoy the scent. Just hope I don't have to fight my daughter over the oils and vinegar.

Thanks so much, Rhiannon8404! You're a super gifter!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 PM

FairyChatMom, I'm so glad it got there.

I had so much fun shopping for everything, and I'm so very happy you like it all!

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 12-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Yay! My prezzies are through Customs and making their way Southward! Check your PMs Y'all. I sent my recipient the tracking number to you so you can see its progress!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Now, just gotta get to the USPS on Monday or Tuesday. It'll head eastward, from California.
Just a note: you don't have to go to the post office and stand in line. You can go to USPS.gov, enter your information (including a credit card for payment) and print a label just like they would at the post office. If you have any kind of scale (I use a coffee scale) you can weigh the package. The form will also ask you if any dimension of the box is longer than 12 inches. It will ask you all the questions the post office clerk would ask you, including the value of the contents (suggest you keep it low-- under $25). Pay, print label, tape to box, and then take to the post office any time, including when it's closed, and deposit in the big package dropoff chute thingie. No standing in line.

If you don't have a printer (some people don't) you might be able to do this at an automated station in the always-open part of the post office (the lobby where people can always check their boxes). It will have a scale, a way to accept payment, and will print you a label.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 PM

So today I didn't see any packages in my po box again, so alas my next trip will be 12.29 Saturday. I'm cool with that cuz I'm working so much and it's simply the only day off I have to pick up any packages. (I mailed my parcel earlier in month so hopefully carnut got it)

I'm really patient: I once waited 5 months for an Etsy item. I subscribe to a comic and it takes roughly 21 days to travel from New York across 7 states to me!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Just a note: you don't have to go to the post office and stand in line. You can go to USPS.gov, enter your information (including a credit card for payment) and print a label just like they would at the post office. If you have any kind of scale (I use a coffee scale) you can weigh the package. The form will also ask you if any dimension of the box is longer than 12 inches. It will ask you all the questions the post office clerk would ask you, including the value of the contents (suggest you keep it low-- under $25). Pay, print label, tape to box, and then take to the post office any time, including when it's closed, and deposit in the big package dropoff chute thingie. No standing in line.

If you don't have a printer (some people don't) you might be able to do this at an automated station in the always-open part of the post office (the lobby where people can always check their boxes). It will have a scale, a way to accept payment, and will print you a label.
ThelmaLou! I could hug you! I never knew there was such a thing! (I guess I don't "get out much", do I?) Label is paid for and printed (I even looked up the Zip+4 because I'm a former USPS employee), and I'm taking the box to the chute thing-a-ma-bob doo-hickie right now.

Thank you, ThelmaLou!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Aw honey, you made my day. I just discovered this myself and it's so cool. I hate standing in line in the post office. It started when that mini post office wanted to charge me $22 to mail my SDMB Christmas box. I came home and printed an $11 label at USPS.gov.

I had a small box to mail last week and just as I put the label on it, my mailman came to the door. (I live in an old house with a mail slot, so the mail comes into the house.) I opened the door and asked him if he would take the package, and he did! I didn't even have to step outside.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 PM

I am a slacker no longer! I shipped my gifts out this morning which means they're heading north (but not TOO far north) and should be there by midweek!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 PM

I got my package earlier this week but since the person didn't use their SD name, I'm not sure who to thank.

That said, it contained two beauuuutieeful handmade roses (the purple is the color of my bedroom decor!) and chocolate and, yes, just for me, more chocolate.

And, no, the chocolate didn't melt. I'm saving it as it is "crunch time" on my work project and I'm sure that one day next week it will save my life because I will stuff it in my face and chew that chewwy cocoanut oooh rather than say something I'll regret.

Thank you, thank you my forever secret santa, or perhaps you can PM me your SD name? And just a couple of posts above mine here is my Secret Santa, a secret no longer! Thank you!

Last edited by carnut; 12-15-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: moment of discovery
Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 PM

My package went out this morning, will be a recipients door Tuesday, according to USPS.
Nothing received as of yet.

Note to the recipient: the book is from on of my favorite Minnesotan authors, not just randomly tossed in to take up space in the box.