Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Aw honey, you made my day. I just discovered this myself and it's so cool. I hate standing in line in the post office. It started when that mini post office wanted to charge me $22 to mail my SDMB Christmas box. I came home and printed an $11 label at USPS.gov.

I had a small box to mail last week and just as I put the label on it, my mailman came to the door. (I live in an old house with a mail slot, so the mail comes into the house.) I opened the door and asked him if he would take the package, and he did! I didn't even have to step outside.
Darlin’, you are the best! I thought my box would be too big, at 20” x 10” x 9”, but that chute do-hickie whatcha-ma-callit was exactly 20.25” wide — and the box fit like a glove, and that chute whos-a-ma-whatsit swallowed it whole. So my package is on its way!

Yay, ThelmaLou! I was NOT looking forward to standing in that line at the post office. Now I don’t have to, and my Doper recipient should get their gift this week!

Whoa, I am beat. Had to work the whole day today, and also tomorrow too — it’s 10 days before Christmas and we’re in crunch mode. I’ve had late nights all week, and even last week I pulled an all-nighter. So I will open my gift. The package is still sitting on the kitchen counter, still in its shipping box.

A big hug of thanks goes out to ThelmaLou!

I’ll open it when I can give it my full attention.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
A horseshoe in shades of purple, for purplehorseshoe — too cool! To me it begs the question, what does your user name mean, can you tell us?

And, such a poignant description there — wait to open ‘til you send your shit out. But it fits!

It’s not easy, this waiting. I can hear that package calling out to me, Open me!, Open me! It’s almost like a — Let me out! Let me out!

But I wait. I wait.
It's one of the marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal, at least the original lineup. Pink hearts. Orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers, blue moons ..

Well, I couldn't hold out any longer, so back into the box I dove. I found the yummies! There's a big ol' summer sausage (which pretty much requires a "that's what she said!!" joke) and a bar of really delicious chocolate, dark, salted, with almonds (minus a piece, to verify the tastiness level, then another piece to confirm) and .. what's this? WHAT IS THIS?

Vegemite. Y'all!!! I have never tasted it, always been curious, but it's not exactly a thing in Texas so when would I get a chance? Now I have this little mini packet of the stuff in my hand. (I literally was like, "I don't remember saying how much I wanna try it .. how did she know?") So I'm excited to get a chance to try it out!

To round it out, there was a card, enclosing a lovely and very heartfelt letter. You may add me to the list of folks admiring their Santa's handwriting, too. So much warmth and joy in one cardboard box!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
It's one of the marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal, at least the original lineup. Pink hearts. Orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers, blue moons ..
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Darlin’, you are the best! I thought my box would be too big, at 20” x 10” x 9”, but that chute do-hickie whatcha-ma-callit was exactly 20.25” wide — and the box fit like a glove, and that chute whos-a-ma-whatsit swallowed it whole. So my package is on its way!....
(My bold.)

I gotta say I admire the heck out of your grasp and usage of highly technical terminology. A tip of the hat to you!

I'm so happy my suggestion helped to fight entropy in your part of the world.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
(My bold.)

I gotta say I admire the heck out of your grasp and usage of highly technical terminology. A tip of the hat to you!

I'm so happy my suggestion helped to fight entropy in your part of the world.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
...Vegemite. Y'all!!! I have never tasted it, always been curious, but it's not exactly a thing in Texas so when would I get a chance? Now I have this little mini packet of the stuff in my hand. (I literally was like, "I don't remember saying how much I wanna try it .. how did she know?") So I'm excited to get a chance to try it out!
I, for one, will be waiting with great interest to see how you like it. There have been a LOT threads* on this stuff on the board, and I've bought it, but never really... you know.... I always wanted to. So do report. You may benefit from suggestions/coaching from Dopers who know what the heck to do with it how best to appreciate it.

* https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb.../t-330572.html
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb.../t-660921.html
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb.../t-576234.html
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb.../t-719822.html ("The Cat Likes Vegemite")
Lots of threads... https://tinyurl.com/ydeachkb
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Well, I couldn't hold out any longer, so back into the box I dove. I found the yummies! There's a big ol' summer sausage (which pretty much requires a "that's what she said!!" joke) and a bar of really delicious chocolate, dark, salted, with almonds (minus a piece, to verify the tastiness level, then another piece to confirm) and .. what's this? WHAT IS THIS?

Vegemite. Y'all!!! I have never tasted it, always been curious, but it's not exactly a thing in Texas so when would I get a chance? Now I have this little mini packet of the stuff in my hand. (I literally was like, "I don't remember saying how much I wanna try it .. how did she know?") So I'm excited to get a chance to try it out!

To round it out, there was a card, enclosing a lovely and very heartfelt letter. You may add me to the list of folks admiring their Santa's handwriting, too. So much warmth and joy in one cardboard box!

So many great things have happened here since I last checked in! Reading the reactions of all of the people receiving their gifts is so fun. But I think @purplehorseshoe was the most fun! (I might be a little biased, but y'all - she used the word verklempt, so...)

Now that you have read the letter, you know that I did not make the Say Yes magnet, but got it from a local glass blowing shop.

I so appreciate @bullitt asked about your name - a thing that I have been wondering about. I was trying to come up with a thing to make, and it struck me all at once. Of course! A purple horseshoe is the clear choice. It has been a while since I used my quilling supplies, so it was fun to dust off that box. Almost as much fun a gift wrapping lol

Funny story about the "packing peppermints". I always top a Christmas parcel with a candy cane - it just feels more festive. And I looked everywhere for that dern box of extra canes, but it eluded me. So I threw in a handful or two from the giant container that those mints come in. Every recipient has enjoyed those, so I'm thinking they will be the go to from now on. @justanothermike and I sure do like them.

I'm glad you liked your snacks, and I'm so glad you're an adventurous type who is excited to try the vegemite! I've been enjoying it on things. I just attended a pizza making party and afterwards I got the idea to have tried vegemite on a pizza. She has another one in the spring, so I'll definitely try it then! And the eternally helpful @ThelmaLou has provided some very interesting reading material that I'll be perusing for ideas! Thank you!

So much fun this is! Yay Christmas!!
Old 12-16-2018, 12:13 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Bonus! I can repurpose the box and tissue that my goodies came in to send my inlaws' gifts to them! Ho Ho Ho!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 11:20 PM

EmilyG, thank you, thank you! We opened your gifts tonight, and loved every one. I really admire any kind of crafty and artistic ability, and you did not disappoint! Homemade ornaments, greeting card, pin, gift cards, magnet ... all amazing. You're so talented! Thank you for all of the wonderful things. My house is already displaying most of them.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Kimstu — thank you! Your package arrived a couple of days ago, and I opened it last night.

What fun inside!

Thank you for your nice, handwritten note on a postcard of the pretty Hudson Athens Lighthouse in Hudson, NY (gImages, https://goo.gl/z3Pc3e) — not one hour south of my hometown and childhood house (gMap, https://goo.gl/arxT89). Next time I’m there I’ll have to find that lighthouse. Yes, I grew up there, when my dad was a professor at RPI (small engineering school also known for hockey). I hold good childhood memories of my time there in Troy and Latham and the Hudson River Valley. And yes, in Schenectady too.

There were several gifts inside, nicely wrapped... and with Origami folded bows! I’d never seen them before, and it was a nice touch (images, https://goo.gl/NMV1UU).

My wife dove right in to the maple sugar-spun cotton candy — such a unique taste. And the maple sugar candies, still to be tried, brought back nice childhood memories. I always wanted those, they look delicious, and now I get to try them! (I might even share them with my wife. Maybe.) There were two tea infusers, one shaped like a frog and the other a monkey, and their arms hold onto the mug while they’re steeping. Very cute. The honey will come in handy because my wife has a cold and sore throat, for some nice tea and lemon. And the woven fabrics from your travels to India are very nice!

Thank you, Kimstu, for the very nice and thoughtful gifts! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old 12-17-2018, 09:06 AM

But wait there’s more! This morning as I was tossing out the box I found yet another small gift wrapped item with another origami bow — a dark chocolate bar with sea salt. Sounds tasty! It’s from a local chocalatier, Barkeater Chocolates in North Creek NY.

The Secret Santa package that keeps on giving!

Earlier I neglected to mention the box of ‘Wicked Dark Truffles’ that Kimstu included in my care package. They’re from The New England Fudge Company in Scotia NY, which I could not find but maybe were bought at Uncle Sam's All-American Chocolate Factory in Schenectady. Just a guess. And the spun maple sugar cotton candy is from Slate Valley Farms in Granville NY.

I updated my map with these locations. https://goo.gl/maps/82iPiL9AZtN2

Kimstu, you went above and beyond! Thank you.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayna View Post
EmilyG, thank you, thank you! We opened your gifts tonight, and loved every one. I really admire any kind of crafty and artistic ability, and you did not disappoint! Homemade ornaments, greeting card, pin, gift cards, magnet ... all amazing. You're so talented! Thank you for all of the wonderful things. My house is already displaying most of them.
I'm so glad you like what you got! I enjoyed making/finding the items for the gift box. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:47 AM

My package has left the country! Repeat! The package has left the country! (Don't know why it took a week?!?) AND it has arrived in the recipient's country! I am guessing that I will lose the ability to track it soon, so godspeed little package. May you arrive at your destination quickly!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Thanks Bullitt, I'm so glad you liked the prezzies! But OMG here I thought I was introducing the sagebrush westerner to the exotic foodways of the distant Northeast and it turns out you are actually from around here yourself! Small world, even in a big country. So okay, the primary theme is retroactively "Childhood Nostalgia" instead of "The Weird Stuff We Eat in These Parts".

(and yeah, I love using those flat origami bows on boxed giftwrapped parcels because they don't get squished in mailing the way 3D bows do. Also making them is a great way to use up wrapping paper scraps.) Merryhappysanta to all!

(Oh, and I actually got the chox at Bob's Trees in Galway NY, where a winter ritual is standing around watching them run the REALLY BIG trees through the treebagger with the winch. Honey and maple products were acquired at Schenectady Greenmarket.)

Last edited by Kimstu; 12-17-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Kimstu, do you have a link for the pattern for the origami bows? I do origami and that seems like something right up my alley.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM

I forget where I originally learned them, but any of the instructions at Bullitt's link a couple posts up should be adequate, they are probably pretty stinkin easy for an experienced origamist.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I forget where I originally learned them, but any of the instructions at Bullitt's link a couple posts up should be adequate, they are probably pretty stinkin easy for an experienced origamist.
Yes, the link in Post 260, if you then click on the image and then click ‘Visit’, leads to a YouTube tutorial on how to make the bows out of a 6”x6” piece of paper (or, it says, 3”x3” for a really cute bow).

Those origami bows pack and ship very well, I can attest. They looked great after shipping 3,000 miles between what are essentially Albany NY and San Francisco CA.

I’m going to start doing them too! (another gift that I got from Kimstu)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Awesome! Thanks! I'll try them out tonight!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Cool. It might be Kimstu's gift to all of us!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I made it to the Post Office today, which was a miracle because I am not feeling well. I stood in line for about 20 minutes, but by the time I left, the line was out the door,
Anyway, my holiday packages are all mailed, including the one to my SD Santee. It is expected to reach her on Thursday.

Happy holidays, everyone.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
I made it to the Post Office today, which was a miracle because I am not feeling well. I stood in line for about 20 minutes, but by the time I left, the line was out the door,
Anyway, my holiday packages are all mailed, including the one to my SD Santee. It is expected to reach her on Thursday.

Happy holidays, everyone.
For future reference (assuming you are in the USA):
Quote:
Just a note: you don't have to go to the post office and stand in line. You can go to USPS.gov, enter your information (including a credit card for payment) and print a label just like they would at the post office. If you have any kind of scale (I use a coffee scale) you can weigh the package. The form will also ask you if any dimension of the box is longer than 12 inches. It will ask you all the questions the post office clerk would ask you, including the value of the contents (suggest you keep it low-- under $25). Pay, print label, tape to box, and then take to the post office any time, including when it's closed, and deposit in the big package dropoff chute thingie. No standing in line.

If you don't have a printer (some people don't) you might be able to do this at an automated station in the always-open part of the post office (the lobby where people can always check their boxes). It will have a scale, a way to accept payment, and will print you a label.
No more standing in line for 20 minutes when you don't feel well (or even if you do feel well).

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-17-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Squee! SWMBO has informed me there is a package from the US for me at the house! 15 more minutes before I can tear off home!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:20 PM

This is really fun, now that the presents are flying thick and fast!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Harmonicamoon!!! Thank you thank you thank you! Your parcel arrived intact and my wife is eyeing up a few of the items (mostly the Dove chocolate truffles which I may begrudgingly share with her) for herself already!!!
First, a hand made Santa hat that fits perfectly on my largish cranium.
Then a beautifully painted clay treasure box with lid painted in red and bright flowers painted on the lid.
A licence plate fridge magnet saying Valladolid (I'm assuming your city?) which I promptly Googled. To say beautiful doesn't do it justice and as I look out on all the snow I have to say it makes me a little jealous!
Then, oh then, I come upon a jar of papaya, orange and habanero marmalade! That is so going on my toast tomorrow morning!
A homemade change purse, with crocheted flowers to go with the treasure box! And within that chicle, which I am really looking forward to trying!
A wrist sweat band with the colours of the Mexican flag that I will definitely be using bike season.
Finally, a beautifully painted clay gecko in white covered in flowers, which will be hung up on our wall as we love geckos!

I've been to a few places in Mexico (Chihuahua, Jalisco, Nayarit, Baja California...) and have always enjoyed my time there. I have never been to the Yucatan, but I can see why so many do. Thank you again for the note and for sharing a bit of your home with us!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Y'know, since this is a generally feel-good-and-say-nice-things about each other thread, I'll just throw in this slight hijack.

I sometimes take hiatuses from the SDMB. But about nine months or so ago, I started reading and posting regularly again. I've also explored some older threads that get linked to ones I'm reading.

And I've noticed that every time I read something Kimstu has posted, especially if it's about gender, misogyny, or sexual politics, I find myself nodding and thinking, "Yeah, that's a good point, and well made." I especially noticed her patient, fair, and firm way of dealing with a now-banned misogynist who showed his a-...um, ignorance...in any thread about gender or feminism.

Then, someone posted a drive-by about circumcision, and in ensuing multi-page kerfluffle, a similar thread from 2003 or so was linked. That one contained a gem, a Gilbert and Sullivan-style parody of the overwrought OP (who thought circumcision was the cause of all the world's ills, from global warming to ho-hum mouth). Authored by...Kimstu.

So, as fun as it was being Eyebrows of Doom's Secret Santa, when I saw she was participating, I kinda hoped I'd draw Kimstu, just so I could tell her what an intelligent, literate, and entertaining poster she is.

But there's no reason I can't do so just because I didn't draw her, is there? So, Kimstu: I greatly enjoy reading anything you post. You are a real asset to this board, and patently have been for two decades. I hope you're here for two more, and I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 12-17-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:45 PM

SMV how VERY nice of you to say so, extreme blush incident!!!!! If I write anything good it's largely due to what I've learned from other posters here on the Dope. (The non-good stuff's original, sadly.)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 PM

This is a happy thread. I like it!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Last edited by Bullitt; 12-17-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 AM

I look forward to the SDMB Secret Santa exchange all year long! It is my favorite thing!

I love reading about what everyone gives and receives. I love reading the little hints people leave. I love that I wasn't the only one to self-impose waiting to open my gift until I have put the one I am sending in the mail. When I'm stressing about getting my house ready for the many, many people that will be here and will people like what I bought them, etc. I can just take a break and read this thread. Makes my whole day.

I already can't wait for next year!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 AM

As of 1:18am this morning, my package, on it way, is near its recipient!

Thank you for your patience, oh Doper recipient of Bullitt’s procrastination.

Redacted email quote follows...
Quote:
Begin forwarded message:

Date: December 17, 2018 at 22:37:03 PST
To: [Bullitt (well, kind of)]@gmail.com
Subject: USPS® Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility (940580369930073398..._SDMB)

Hello BULLITT,

Your item arrived at our (anytown USA) DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on December 18, 2018 at 1:18 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Tracking Number: (940580369930073398..._SDMB)

In just a little more time, oh Doper recipient out there, your patience should be rewarded!
(I say “should” because, well, as a former USPS employee myself, while our mail system is one of the best in the world, delivery isn’t quite a guarantee...)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM

How fantastic swampspruce! You received your prezzies the day I received mine from you! Absolutely love that timing.

The hand towels are lovely. Hand crocheted button tops with pretty linen below, one with a purple rabbit and the other purple gingham. The purple and blue crochet add the perfect pop of color to my gray and white kitchen.

The dark chocolate, cherry & pistachio bar is already half gone... which, considering I still haven't had breakfast yet, I might should hold off and save the other half for another time.

When I realized the packing paper was an actual paper, before I even read your letter I thought how cool to read a paper from another country! It is surprising that American $$ signs are used in the ads, really expected British £ signs
(On a side note, reminder to self, next year use local paper as packing)

and Finally the Secret Cat of Mystery! I LOVE that you made it on a 3-D printer, I have been wanting something from one of those neat machines ever since I heard of them. Maneki Neko cat was indeed Wiki'd, nice! Good luck and fortune are always welcome. It's secret power is still un-figured-out, perhaps a hint? A clue or two to point me in the right direction?

Thank You for the wonderful gifts and charming letter!

Happy Holidays everyone!!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM

txobbin, I'm so glad it arrived OK and I'm glad the extra $20 I slipped the USPS for timing it worked out...

OK, for a clue...

Bring me from the darkness of the night and into the sun on a morning bright. If you do this with great care, my secret power you'll become aware...

As I mentioned I forgot one of your prezzies so that'll be in the post this weekend, so you'll likely get that for a Ukrainian Christmas present...
Happy Holidays All!

Oh, and the Mexican marmalade from HMwas on my toast this morning and OMG is it good!

Last edited by swampspruce; 12-18-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Well, I suppose there's nothing I can do about it at this point, but I'm getting concerned about my package. Granted, it had to go quite a distance, but I did send it two weeks ago tomorrow. My recipient hasn't posted here since his/her initial message signing up for the Exchange, so maybe he/she is busy/traveling/kidnapped?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM

I am loving this thread, too!

Idea: what do y'all think about next year encouraging pictures of the loot? Would that be too burdensome? You can instantly upload pics from your phone to imgur.

I'm dying to see a picture of "Hand crocheted button tops with pretty linen below, one with a purple rabbit and the other purple gingham." And some other things, too. We have a year to ponder this...

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Idea: what do y'all think about next year encouraging pictures of the loot? Would that be too burdensome? You can instantly upload pics from your phone to imgur.

I'm dying to see a picture of "Hand crocheted button tops with pretty linen below, one with a purple rabbit and the other purple gingham." And some other things, too. We have a year to ponder this...
On the surface it does sound like a good idea, but then I think it would be overly burdensome. However, some items would be great to see in a pic, so perhaps on a case-by-case basis we can request that?

In my case, the chocolates are already gone! And boy were they good! And I'm on a diet too. I'm back on my diet now, but the chocolates from Upstate NY were an exquisite diversion! I hadn't had chocolates in 2+ months. So I really enjoyed them.

So anyway that's my vote, to request on a case-by-case basis. Want to try it that way now?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'll be posting pictures of my stuff for sure! When I get it, that is!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:32 PM

I was just thinking of encouraging pictures... because yes, it might be burdensome. But some of the (especially) handmade items sound so cool.

Oh yeah, my candy was gone immediately! (Thanks again, carnut!) I'm here to say that a candy company that has been making chocolates for 100 years really knows what it's doing

I also read through ALL the recipes in the Minnesota cookbook. There was even a recipe for lutefiske! Maybe my next year's giftee will get some. (Just kidding.)

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Encouraging pictures is cool. Requiring them, though, might be a bit too much.

Yes, pics of the hand-made items would be nice to see!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Encouraging pictures is cool. Requiring them, though, might be a bit too much.

Yes, pics of the hand-made items would be nice to see!
Hell, you can't require Dopers to do anything.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:03 PM

In a perfect world, we could taste a sample as well as see the pics! (As soon as I parsed "papaya habanero marmalade" I really wanted to try a bit ... and Og knows we've gotten candy/chocolate/sweets galore between us all.)

My recipient hasn't posted either, and although I didn't throw out the UPS tracking receipt deliberately, I also cannot find the stupid thing either, so, uh ... here's hopin' I guess. Might go stalk the username & see if there's even any recent posting activity. Perhaps several Dopers have all been kidnapped.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Harmonicamoon!!! Thank you thank you thank you! Your parcel arrived intact and my wife is eyeing up a few of the items (mostly the Dove chocolate truffles which I may begrudgingly share with her) for herself already!!!
First, a hand made Santa hat that fits perfectly on my largish cranium.
Then a beautifully painted clay treasure box with lid painted in red and bright flowers painted on the lid.
A licence plate fridge magnet saying Valladolid (I'm assuming your city?) which I promptly Googled. To say beautiful doesn't do it justice and as I look out on all the snow I have to say it makes me a little jealous!
Then, oh then, I come upon a jar of papaya, orange and habanero marmalade! That is so going on my toast tomorrow morning!
A homemade change purse, with crocheted flowers to go with the treasure box! And within that chicle, which I am really looking forward to trying!
A wrist sweat band with the colours of the Mexican flag that I will definitely be using bike season.
Finally, a beautifully painted clay gecko in white covered in flowers, which will be hung up on our wall as we love geckos!

I've been to a few places in Mexico (Chihuahua, Jalisco, Nayarit, Baja California...) and have always enjoyed my time there. I have never been to the Yucatan, but I can see why so many do. Thank you again for the note and for sharing a bit of your home with us!
Thank you swamspruce

It tickled me that you are happy with your gifts. I tried to pick out homemade items to support my neighbors. Yes, Valladolid is my pueblito.

The chicle comes from the chico zapote tree. It is harvested like maple. It was a big economic boom for the peninsula. Later, they started making gum out of latex. It is plain, kind of bland without flavorings.

I am happy that the gecko has a new home.

I am delighted you are enjoying the marmalade. I was concerned about gifting it because it is rather spicy.

Happy Holidays.

and vive Secret Santa.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM

Got mine mailed out today! A large "it fits, it ships" USPS box is now making its way from Texas up North! Should be delivered Friday.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:31 PM

Wowsers! I come home to a wonderful package by Miss Take

The first thing to mention is that everything was wrapped so beautifully! Are you a professional wrapper? I almost felt bad having to open them! And there were so many wonderful things inside of it!

The first thing I open is a lovely trio of jerky! Boar, buffalo and...venison? Cool! The only problem with this is that, little do you know, Mrs. Cups LOVES jerky and now I won't get to have any!

There was also a package filled with some nutty goodness and a pack of Minnesota playing cards. I found a box of Ole & Lena fortune cookies where instead of fortunes I get some really funny puns! God I love puns...

But that's not all! I get a small jar of blackberry spread, a ducky (ducky!!!) ornament and a book by Minnesota legend/author John Sandford. The book is especially funny because this is the second exchange I've had with someone from Minnesota (Hiya Carnut) and I got a Sandford last year. But don't worry, it's not the same one.

Thank you so much for everything! Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 PM

On the eve of st Nicholas day, a package arrived! That means I don't have to wait for Christmas to use the nifty stuff.

Thank you,sir t-cups! when I opened the box and saw the sticker, I thought, "oh, yeah, the sdmb comes through again". The print is lovely and will be on my wall very soon. The go cup is fantastic. It will go with me to work tomorrow. I have really cool straws that will go perfectly with it. The magnet is on the fridge. And I will be trying out the marshmallows with hot chocolate. I may even share with some of my family.

You did very well! Thank you very,very, much!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Oh well. (sigh)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh well. (sigh)
Presumably it's part of our charm.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Oh my, Filbert, what a wonderful collection of presents! I was excited from the moment I saw the package; all the stickers indicating this came all the way from the UK! The package looked a little like it had been wadded up and stomped on, but mercifully nothing was broken.

The cup is wonderful; I don't know what magic plastic it's made of but it was totally unhurt. Very eco-friendly indeed.

I have always wanted to try Marmite and I appreciate that you sent tiny containers, so...

I taste tested the rhubarb candies and I actually like rhubarb so that was very fun. I am really looking forward to tasting the pear drops and especially the parma violet, a candy I have only read about (I was an English major in college). The chocolate is going to be wonderful, I know, as all the chocolate I ever had was wonderful and I am eager to see what baobob powder tastes like.

AND best of all is the yarn. I am interested in different breeds of sheep and this yarn is from the Romney breed, which I have not used. And it's dyed with woad which is very special. Do you really drive past the sheep often? How neat is that?

I think the Eden Project sounds very interesting and I'll have to read up on it now that I have a "connection". And I have to say, you have the most amazingly neat and tiny printing. I understand you work with tiny plants. I guess that will be useful for printing tiny labels.

And I almost forgot to mention that robin; have to say I was holding it upside down until my DH pointed out the hanging ribbon and suddenly it looked a lot more like a robin.

Thanks so much for all the local gifts and your thoughtfulness.

Last edited by kayT; 12-18-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair View Post
package is winging its way west. it should arrive on st. Nicholas day (for Julian calendar types).
I believe it found its way to me! You did sign the card with an itty bitty rocking chair.

I received:
* a very cute Viking ornament and he appears to be holding a spear, but I like to think it's a pencil.

* an adorable little wallet

*a wonderfully sparkly red travel hot/cold drink bottle with a kitty shape on it

*cute Christmas earrings

* a fascinating metal top (?) rather like the one in Inception, and I want to time it and see how long I can keep it spinning before it stops.

Thank you!

--viva
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
*a wonderfully sparkly red travel hot/cold drink bottle with a kitty shape on it....
See, now this is the kind of thing a person might like to see a picture of. Just sayin'. Especially since it involves a picture of a kitty.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
So my package is on its way!
And it was for me all along!!!! Gosh Bullitt you rascally rogue, you never let slip a word about being my mutual Secret Santa even when you were posting about the prezzies you got from me! I didn't think Secret Santas could be mutual although I suppose if all recipients are picked at random there's a nonzero probability of getting some. (And I was thinking last week when you posted about your fair purchases that the items sounded really nice but I guessed there was no chance of my getting any of them since I was your SS rather than the other way around! Little did I know!! )

Okay so what have I got?? First a beautifully embellished holiday card with a shiny beady wreath on the front, thoughtfully left blank with a letter enclosure (and an elegant hummingbird sticker in gold) so I can regift the card to someone else, which NGL I am totally gonna do because I have another correspondent who will adore it too.

Then there is that beautiful handwoven inkle trim with a split ring attached that I think will be a scissors fob for keeping embroidery scissors from escaping. It really is as lovely as you said! And since I like rocks there's a flat oval rock which will make a VERY useful pattern weight as well as an object of art (and not just because anything handy becomes a pattern weight when I'm cutting out), charmingly painted with a very California scene of a sailboat on the ocean against a sunset sky! (Over on this coast we would call it a sunrise sky but that's California for you.)

And because of some astute observation of a previous mention on my part of the mathematician Euler, there is a supercool spinning toy called an "Euler disk" with a shiny metal disk that spins (and spins and spins and spins and spins and spins and SPINS) on a round mirror base. I love tops and gyroscopes and own about a dozen of them, but I've never had or even heard of something like this: my fellow mathy colleagues and friends are going to be quite impressed when they see it! (They will have to be good about taking turns because it really is fascinating to play with.)

And some fancy gold embossed wrapping paper that's going to be great for making, yup you guessed it, flat origami bows. What a completely fun package and delightful surprise! Thanks so much Bullitt, and thanks also to Silvorange for the SS organizing, and a very happy mystery parcel to all!!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
And it was for me all along!!!! Gosh Bullitt you rascally rogue, you never let slip a word about being my mutual Secret Santa...
Yes I knew it was you and I fought hard to not let it slip!

I am so glad you like the gifts, especially the Euler Disk — that was a bit of a risk, but I sensed you were perhaps a fellow math-minded person too.

Yes, Silvorange — thank you for coordinating this! It has been fun!