Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 PM
notfrommensa notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,761
Did Grover on Sesame Street recently drop the F-Bomb
  #52  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Did Grover on Sesame Street recently drop the F-Bomb
Oh, man, that's going to be another "yanni"/"laurel" thing, ain't it?

First few times I played it, I heard "fucking excellent idea." Then I read what it was supposed to be, and it morphed into that. I have to distract myself now to hear my original interpretation.
  #53  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 PM
Walken After Midnight Walken After Midnight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,869
There is a British government minister named Jeremy Hunt who has had his name mangled several times now by various reputable newspeople, and in one particular way. The inadvertant misplacement of a consonant was perhaps more understandable when he was Jeremy Hunt the Culture Secretary, but it also continued when he was Health Secretary. Here's a video compilation [accidentally rendered NSFW by the misplaced consonant].
  #54  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Ashtura Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Al Roker has offered Kappell his support.

I hope another tv station offers Kappell a job. He deserves another chance imho.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ist/index.html
Afterwards, Kappell replied, "Thanks Al, I coon... COULDN'T have done it without you." Turns out, this professional meteorologist can't get a sentence out without saying the word coon or some other slur. Yes, yes, definitely a racist that deserves his reputation ruined.
  #55  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 AM
Dr. Crap Dr. Crap is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 308
You know, relative to everyone else, there's a disturbing amount of profane anagrams in BigT's posts.
  #56  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 22,202
I could easily see "King Junior" tangletongued into "koon..." in the same way that "Jeremy Hunt, Culture Secretary" became something rude, and as a one-off I would tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt. If the individual had a history of questionable statements and behaviour regarding race, then I'd be inclined to be more sceptical.

As for immediately doing it again, as the Jeremy Hunt example shows (with the slip being repeated even after he became Health Secretary), once you've slipped up the verboten word gets stuck in your head and slips out far more easily.

Last edited by Gyrate; 01-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
  #57  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 AM
BenedictusXIV BenedictusXIV is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 50
Focus, America! Focus! Eyes on the balls.....uhhh ball.
Don't sweat the small muff.
STUFF....stuff!
  #58  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,969
n/m. Link already in thread.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.
  #59  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Irishman Irishman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Yeah, the combination of this is what makes me want to give this person another chance. Unlike some slurs, there aren't a whole bunch of people who are itching for an excuse to say this. I've never personally seen it used in the wild in my lifetime, unlike those other more popular words.
Unfortunately, I have. It was 30 years ago when I was a teenager by another teenager, but yeah, he was dropping numerous racist terms, not in an ironic way.
  #60  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Filbert Filbert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I could easily see "King Junior" tangletongued into "koon..." in the same way that "Jeremy Hunt, Culture Secretary" became something rude, and as a one-off I would tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt. If the individual had a history of questionable statements and behaviour regarding race, then I'd be inclined to be more sceptical.

As for immediately doing it again, as the Jeremy Hunt example shows (with the slip being repeated even after he became Health Secretary), once you've slipped up the verboten word gets stuck in your head and slips out far more easily.
That might not be the best example of how innocent mistakes can happen. Let's put it this way, Jeremy Hunt has... not been especially popular in either of those roles. It's a pretty common nickname for the guy in some circles.
  #61  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Melbourne Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
I understand you're trying to add 'nuance', but basically, people will either get punished for what are very likely unintentional slips, and very unlikely to be proven otherwise, or they won't. That's the practical reality. History lessons and virtue signalling by calling yourself 'privileged' doesn't really change that practical reality.

I find it amazing there would be any disputing, even looking for a little wiggle room, that firing this guy was ridiculous, which it obviously was.

Based on the evidence presented, and it stands to reason that if there was really anything else to it, that would have been made clear.
I'll dispute it.

As I've said before, one of things that is most striking to me is the way that members of this board view everything through the prism of race. And this is no different.

As more-or-less a foreigner, I'll say this guy had one job: to speak clearly. From my position, insult, accident and evidence are irrelevant.
  #62  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 AM
pool pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
I'll dispute it.

As I've said before, one of things that is most striking to me is the way that members of this board view everything through the prism of race. And this is no different.

As more-or-less a foreigner, I'll say this guy had one job: to speak clearly. From my position, insult, accident and evidence are irrelevant.
Dude he's reporting the weather not building nuclear bombs, he had a slip of the tongue so what, his job is inconsequential, a bunch of manufactured outrage but he's certainly feeling some unmanufactured pain from what amounts to being tongue-tied. If you think anyone can speak every day and not make a mistake you're kidding yourself. The guy didn't do anything wrong at all, he had what amounts to a brain fart but apologized anyway, he got screwed, and though it doesn't affect me personally, and it won't keep me up at night, I can easily see that it's bullshit pc culture run amok.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 01-13-2019 at 12:25 AM.
  #63  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Melbourne Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Dude he's reporting the weather not building nuclear bombs, he had a slip of the tongue so what, his job is inconsequential, a bunch of manufactured outrage but he's certainly feeling some unmanufactured pain from what amounts to being tongue-tied. If you think anyone can speak every day and not make a mistake you're kidding yourself. The guy didn't do anything wrong at all, he had what amounts to a brain fart but apologized anyway, he got screwed, and though it doesn't affect me personally, and it won't keep me up at night, I can easily see that it's bullshit pc culture run amok.
I've done public speaking, lecturing, and radio announcing. I know how difficult it is, how easy it is to make mistakes, and also how difficult it is to think while talking.

That's why I wasn't paid for it, and professionals are.
  #64  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13,054
There are some people who take a perverse delight in punishing people whom they know for a fact to be innocent as if they were guilty.
  #65  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 PM
pool pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
I've done public speaking, lecturing, and radio announcing. I know how difficult it is, how easy it is to make mistakes, and also how difficult it is to think while talking.

That's why I wasn't paid for it, and professionals are.
Right and if you watched any of the clips widely available on YouTube and other media you would know that paid "professional speakers" still make mistakes all the time, My God even professional actors who are paid millions of dollars make mistakes all the time, and bands who play live music, who are professionals make mistakes all the time. What else you got?
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #66  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:54 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Worst case scenario, let's say he's a secret racist who has used the term off-air. What are they worried he's going to do, forecast the weather inaccurately for black neighborhoods?
I agree with this and in my mind it represents a larger issue.

Implicit in this discussion is that if he is a secret racist in his personal life, then he is persona non grata and he should not only be shamed, but become unemployable.

I'll put my hatred of racism up against anyone's, but there in an inherent danger in marginalizing these people because it will simply force the beliefs underground where they will become more radicalized. I also object to such treatment in a country that values free speech and a free exchange of ideas, even loathsome ones.

And the definition keeps changing. Racism doesn't have the traditional definition that I believe my race is superior to others. In almost every debate the allegations of racism and sexism are thrown around like beads at Mardi Gras. I fear that we are at the top of the slippery slope where if you do not agree with many left wing positions, then you are a racist, and therefore not eligible to pursue your career.

But, yeah, even if we assume that this guy is a member of the KKK, why should that matter as a weather reporter? Sure, don't hire him for the Civil Rights Commission in the city, but let him report the weather.
  #67  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 PM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But, yeah, even if we assume that this guy is a member of the KKK, why should that matter as a weather reporter? Sure, don't hire him for the Civil Rights Commission in the city, but let him report the weather.
Racism is not black and white (no pun intended), it is a spectrum. If he were literally an openly known member of the KKK then few employers would want to be associated with him. Several people lost jobs after being in the Charlottesville demonstration. If he sits in his living room with a beer watching football and says, "Yeah, they can run but they can't play quarterback," it's certainly racist but not something you get fired for.
  #68  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 PM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 12,768
An ESPN reporter did the exact same thing in 2010 and was not fired.

Last edited by CookingWithGas; 01-13-2019 at 11:12 PM.
  #69  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Defensive Indifference Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,607
I read about the incident before I saw the video, so I was biased going into it. But having listened a few times now, I hear a terribly unfortunate spoonerism. The guy immediately corrected himself, his apology seemed sincere, and "coon" is a pretty rare slur these days. I don't think this is a racist who figured he couldn't get away with the crooked OK gesture or slipping a 14/88 reference in, so he reached back to a 60s era slur. People who talk all day, even if they're getting paid for it, sometimes flub their lines. I want racism driven out of our lives, too, but I don't think that objective is served by crushing this guy for talking too fast.
  #70  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
Racism is not black and white (no pun intended), it is a spectrum. If he were literally an openly known member of the KKK then few employers would want to be associated with him. Several people lost jobs after being in the Charlottesville demonstration. If he sits in his living room with a beer watching football and says, "Yeah, they can run but they can't play quarterback," it's certainly racist but not something you get fired for.
Well, you say "would [not] want to be associated with them" but how much of that is the free choice of the employer or a reaction to society coming down on them like a ton of bricks if they do not take "appropriate" action.

In my business, putting aside the public scorn, if that were not present, I don't think I would have a problem hiring a racist to work for me as long as he did a good job. I would tell him in no uncertain terms that he is not to treat anyone differently or bring his bullshit to the job, but what he believes or does on his own time isn't my concern. If we were having some beers at work after hours, I would tell him what an absolute fucking fool he was for having those ideas, and maybe try to change his mind.

But those ideas are real and are largely a result of ignorance. If the only outlet for those views are sitting on the couch and bitching about black quarterbacks, his ideas are never challenged, and not only might they grow into extremism, but he is never given a real opportunity to hear the evidence and possibly change his beliefs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I read about the incident before I saw the video, so I was biased going into it. But having listened a few times now, I hear a terribly unfortunate spoonerism. The guy immediately corrected himself, his apology seemed sincere, and "coon" is a pretty rare slur these days. I don't think this is a racist who figured he couldn't get away with the crooked OK gesture or slipping a 14/88 reference in, so he reached back to a 60s era slur. People who talk all day, even if they're getting paid for it, sometimes flub their lines. I want racism driven out of our lives, too, but I don't think that objective is served by crushing this guy for talking too fast.
I agree with your overall point, but I hesitate with the idea of having "racism driven out of our lives." It just ain't going to happen that way and it infringes on our ideals of free thought and personal autonomy. I want racism removed from society through reasoned debate and free discourse. If we do that, then you don't have Charlottesville or a shooting in Pittsburgh at the Jewish Temple.

The easiest way to make someone more entrenched and more firm in their incorrect position is to demand that they change it.
  #71  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,052
I have to say, I was on the "slip of the tongue" squad, until I watched his "apology" video. Dude shows no concern whatsoever for people who may have been offended by his "slip-up." He never says he understands why they are upset, or in any way rejects the idea that he might be a racist. He speaks nicely about Dr. King, and follows in the same breath with " . . . all that being said". In my experience, that phrase is like "but" everything that comes before it is BS.

What he does, in the guise of thanking everybody who has helped him, is: list all the people who have been supporting him, show off his lovely wife, declare himself a Christian, and pose very specifically in front of his certification wall.

These are all the things that those habituated to privilege do to "prove" that they "deserve" their positions. It is exactly the way I would expect a racist to respond. I fully believe it was a slip of the tongue; he never meant to let his true beliefs slip out on the air like that. I think he uses that phrase regularly, has been raised to do so, and is completely blindsided that making that public - however accidentally - has repercussions.
  #72  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Well, you say "would [not] want to be associated with them" but how much of that is the free choice of the employer or a reaction to society coming down on them like a ton of bricks if they do not take "appropriate" action.

In my business, putting aside the public scorn, if that were not present, I don't think I would have a problem hiring a racist to work for me as long as he did a good job.
I see your point of view and think it's well-reasoned, although I just have a different opinion. I am a senior manager at my company. I don't own it, but I make a lot of hiring decisions. I would not hire a racist who publicly advocated violence against non-whites or marched for white supremacy, even if there were no repercussions from the public. It wouldn't matter how good a job he could do, because there's always someone else just as good. That doesn't mean I screen for it, and like that line in The Witness I cannot see into their hearts. But I can see their actions and there are some things I can't abide just as a human being.
  #73  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorjän View Post
That's a not a slip you make on-air unless you have been comfortable saying the term often off-air. i don't buy his excuse at all.
We can't rule out that it was intentional, but it definitely would have been an easy mistake to make, whether or not the person ever used that word in their life.

The "k" and "J" sound are made identically by the mouth with the exception that while the "J" sound involves the tongue being placed so the tip is at the end of the mouth, the "k" sound has the tongue up in the center of the mouth. This is also where the tongue is for the "i" and the "ng" sound. So just after saying a word a word entirely composed of sounds that involve the tongue in the back of the mouth, it is easy to accidentally keep it there when your start the next sound, changing "Junior" to "Kunior" But if you catch this mistake half way through and correct it you end up with King kun Junior.
  #74  
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 22,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
But if you catch this mistake half way through and correct it you end up with King kun Junior.
Or you spoonerize it and get "Martin Luther Koon Jingler". Which would be funny in a "Hoobert Heever" sort of way were it not for the unfortunate connotations.
  #75  
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon Lord Feldon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,095
Assuming this was just a pure tongue-tied accident, it's really unfortunate, because it's also the only context in which I've ever heard someone actually use the word "coon" as a slur.
  #76  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,912
Sort of reminds me of the time Rick Santorum spoke out against welfare because he’s against giving money to blah people. Yeah, right.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/in...s_against.html

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 01-15-2019 at 08:51 AM.
  #77  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I think he uses that phrase regularly, has been raised to do so, and is completely blindsided that making that public - however accidentally - has repercussions.
The media have surely been talking to anyone who knows him, including his friends, family and neighbors. If he uses that word or phrase regularly, don't you you think someone would have noticed at some point in the past few decades?
  #78  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
The media have surely been talking to anyone who knows him, including his friends, family and neighbors. If he uses that word or phrase regularly, don't you you think someone would have noticed at some point in the past few decades?
I don't know, I haven't seen any reporting like what you describe. If you link them, I'll take a look though.
  #79  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I don't know, I haven't seen any reporting like what you describe. If you link them, I'll take a look though.
That was kind of my point: I haven't heard/read any such reports, either. It's impossible for him to prove a negative (i.e. that he has never used the word "coon" in daily conversation), but given the media storm surrounding this incident, don't you think the lack of any such reports by now is pretty strong indication that he does not use that word in daily life?
  #80  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 33,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
That was kind of my point: I haven't heard/read any such reports, either. It's impossible for him to prove a negative (i.e. that he has never used the word "coon" in daily conversation), but given the media storm surrounding this incident, don't you think the lack of any such reports by now is pretty strong indication that he does not use that word in daily life?
First, there needs to be someone who's heard him say such things and has not thought "no big deal". What are the chances of finding such a person?
  #81  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
pool pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,174
Um I live in the ol' racist south, I have relatives that are extremely racist, at least the stuff they say, and all while growing up through the years never heard one of them say coon as the epithet of choice, seriously like maybe there are two old racists in nursing homes that still use it.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017