#1  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
Anybody on WeChat? (need a favor)

So I used WeChat when I traveled to Thailand last year. Pretty much everyone uses it (I think mostly because there are so many Chinese visitors or something).

Now I'm going back, and I tried using my WeChat account to communicate with my next AirBnB landlord for my trip. Initially it worked when I booked the room a couple-three weeks ago. Now WeChat has decided I'm a 'suspicious' account (perhaps because I was dormant for 11 months), and is requiring me to get another WeChat user to vouch for me to unlock the account. I have to provide their phone number (we don't need to be WeChat 'friends') and I'm not sure what happens next: presumably WeChat sends them a code or something, they give it to me, I give it to WeChat, and my account is unlocked.

The problem: the only WeChat users I know are overseas. I used my phone in Thailand to create my account, but my phone thought it was in the US. And only a WeChat user who:
- 1. Has been a WeChat member for more than six months and
- 2. Has a phone number in the same country code as the one I used to register (US +1) can 'vouch' for me.

I know nobody that matches both boxes. Everyone I know on WeChat is in Asia. I'm in California.

So: is there anybody in the US, who has been a WeChat user for more than 6 months and initially registered WeChat using a US +1 phone, who can 'vouch' for me? I really need this to contact some of the folks I will see when I'm traveling, including the person who can let me into my AirBnB that I've already paid for (the Thai housekeeper; the landlord is in China). Please PM me if you can help. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Last edited by squeegee; 01-10-2019 at 08:47 PM.
  #2  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 PM
elbows elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 13,956
Why isn’t your Airbnb membership in good standing sufficient to get you into your Airbnb, which you’ve already paid for? Something’s not right there!

Simply contact the owner through your Airbnb app, have HIM contact the housekeeper, it couldn’t be easier. It’s his responsibility, not yours.

Good Luck!
  #3  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Why can't you just call/email/message the landlord or the maid? You HAVE to use WeChat?

When are you going to Thailand? I'm going next month, maybe I could help you then?
  #4  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Why isnít your Airbnb membership in good standing sufficient to get you into your Airbnb, which youíve already paid for? Somethingís not right there!

Simply contact the owner through your Airbnb app, have HIM contact the housekeeper, it couldnít be easier. Itís his responsibility, not yours.

Good Luck!
I can contact the owner through AirBnB. I need to contact the housekeeper who can let me in. Yes, I can be a pain in the ass to the owner, and will! but I'm trying to do it his way as a start.
  #5  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why can't you just call/email/message the landlord or the maid? You HAVE to use WeChat?
I think I can use Link with the maid. I need to find out more. I'm trying to solve the first problem before I go on to the next (never used Link and I have housekeeper's WeChat contact now, not Link).

Quote:
When are you going to Thailand? I'm going next month, maybe I could help you then?
I'm going next Thursday (1/17), Bangkok then Pattaya. Have fun on your trip, Manson, Thailand is amazing. And weird. And amazingly weird
  #6  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I can contact the owner through AirBnB. I need to contact the housekeeper who can let me in. Yes, I can be a pain in the ass to the owner, and will! but I'm trying to do it his way as a start.
Also the driver I'm in contact with for a ride from the airport is on WeChat, and it'd be damned convenient to fix this
  #7  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
Also it pisses me off that this stuff breaks so easily. My airBnb account also thinks I'm a hacker and won't let me use my cell number because someone else used it with some other email address. WTF, I've had two email addresses in 6 years, and neither of them is the one AirBNB thinks is the original linked to my cell. I had to use my son's phone to register for my AirBnb!

It's turtles all the way down.

Last edited by squeegee; 01-10-2019 at 11:44 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,686
OK, a US Doper who is utterly awesome helped me unlock my account. Thanks all!
  #9  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM
kambuckta kambuckta is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vic, Australia.
Posts: 9,808
I'm in Thailand from Feb 27 - March 25. First time for me, does anyone have some advice for a noob?

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Chang and Pattaya before flying out to KL.

Cheers
  #10  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
I'm in Thailand from Feb 27 - March 25. First time for me, does anyone have some advice for a noob?

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Chang and Pattaya before flying out to KL.

Cheers
Don't get married!
  #11  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I'm going next Thursday (1/17), Bangkok then Pattaya. Have fun on your trip, Manson, Thailand is amazing. And weird. And amazingly weird
Oh yeah, I've been there many times. Have fun!
  #12  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Balthisar Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
I'm in Thailand from Feb 27 - March 25. First time for me, does anyone have some advice for a noob?

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Chang and Pattaya before flying out to KL.

Cheers
Ah, Pattaya. Disneyland for adults. It's not my cup of tea, having lived there on and off four six months as part of my Chinese assignment, but, you have to experience Walking Street after dark. Learn to use the baht busses. Drink in a beer bar. And, yes, even go into a go-go bar on Walking Street. If you're there long enough, go out to Ko Lan and enjoy the beaches. They should be great this time of year.

squeegee, I would have helped, but saw your post after someone else helped you. If you want to friend me, send me an IM. It might make recovery easier next time.
  #13  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Ah, Pattaya. Disneyland for adults. It's not my cup of tea, having lived there on and off four six months as part of my Chinese assignment, but, you have to experience Walking Street after dark. Learn to use the baht busses. Drink in a beer bar. And, yes, even go into a go-go bar on Walking Street. If you're there long enough, go out to Ko Lan and enjoy the beaches. They should be great this time of year.
If you are going to go-go bars on Walking Street, make a personal rule to only have 2 drinks and then just leave, no matter what happens. Or you will be trapped there

Koh Larn is nice, easy speed boat ride.

Also, for the love of God, do not rent any jet skis on the beach!!
  #14  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Balthisar Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Also, for the love of God, do not rent any jet skis on the beach!!
I always hear that they've cracked down on this scam, but still good advice. In short, they'll nail you for damage you didn't do, and they'll have police there to enforce it.
  #15  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I always hear that they've cracked down on this scam, but still good advice. In short, they'll nail you for damage you didn't do, and they'll have police there to enforce it.
"Police"

They will have friends to give you a beat down. Amazing to me how many people fall for that scam every day.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017