Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 PM

All the transgender/nonbinary/genderqueer/LGBTQIA+ stuff of today, is just the 2010s equivalent of..

...hippie counterculture in the 1960s

I'm aware that this post is probably historically ignorant. i'm young and naive. I probably have some incorrect generalizations about the hippie movement, and fallacious comparisons with today's trends. I'm not certain in my beliefs, this is just an idea and you can correct me if it's talking out of my ass. The point of talking about ideas is so other ppl can tell you if they're right or wrong. It doesn't hurt for me to post it, this post is not causing anyone any actual harm even if it is incorrect.

older ppl shouldn't be looking down at current youth as being unusually dumb with their gender ideas, because all generations have done analogous dumb things

in both cases, it's a form of rebellion against oppressive parents and societal norms. Changes in hair length to make statements. Denouncing authoritarian gender roles. Kids are dressing up and behaving in ways that frighten their parents. Parents are freaking out about their kid's hair colors, dressing style, liberal posting of selfies and nudes on the internet, and crazy ideas about gender. Just as crazy as the hippie's free love and ideas of expanding your consciousness with acid and dreadlocks and tie dye.

well, now that I think of it, every generation had its own form of rebellion, not just hippies. This gender stuff is just what generation Z and young millennials came up with. other generations had stuff like punk, gangsta. If you suggest to these ppl that their gender stuff is just another generation rebellion, they get angry and say "but this is REAL, shitlord! We actually ARE a different gender on the inside!" but every other rebellion said the same thing about themselves. "this is WHO WE ARE!"

hippies were rising in the 1960s and scared everyone, then became mainstream in the 1970s. A lot of these rebellious movements do become mainstream as the members become young adults. the 2010s were the decade when fringe transgender stuff got more popular and scared everyone. Does that mean this gender stuff will become more mainstream in the 2020s? Maybe it already is on the way, because androgynous appearances are fashionable and it's becoming more socially unacceptable to be "Transphobic"

Last edited by uqekizig; 01-10-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Man, where is a "smiley eating popcorn" animated gif when you need one?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Let the geriatric scolds at em!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uqekizig View Post
shitlord!
Preach it, brother.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM

You have absolutely no fucking idea how wrong you are.

I can't even muster the energy to tell you how wrong you are. Kids couldn't ever talk about this stuff for fear of ridicule and ostracizing. They committed fucking suicide before they would tell their parents. Suddenly, we got smarter as a society and realized that gender dysphoria is a real thing and acceptance is what is required.

Educate yourself.

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-10-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Are you aware of how LGBT people have been treated historically, that in much of the world they still risk severe persecution, including imprisonment and physical violence up to and including state-sanctioned murder? Yet your thesis is that all these people are really cis-het, and just pretending? Just acting out to be cool & rebellious, to annoy their parents? Does that really seem remotely plausible?

If you're a teenager in the Bible Belt or some such benighted place, and you have been surrounded your whole life by ignorant bigots teaching you that "homosexuality is a choice", well - maybe you get a pass on posting this drivel one time. But you need better critical thinking skills than you show here.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM

More like the civil rights movement. I was there; you weren't.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 PM

Gender preference is not a choice. How you deal with it is; I'll grant (generic) you that.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
….
Wow.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Today, 11:15 PM

uqekizig

You all may laugh at me for my post claiming that transgenders/nonbinary/etc are just the 2010s equivalent of hippies. Then you scoff at my misunderstanding of history when I use the phrase "hippie counterculture of the 1960s". without even taking time to point out the historical ignorance, so that you can remain smug and intellectually superior while you laugh at me. You would rather let ignorance persist so you can sit back and laugh at it, rather than fight the ignorance, which is very boring compared to laughing at it. Well, jokes on you, I have no ego to be harmed. Nothing matters.

I wrote that post because my parents dislike LGBT and I dont want them to scoff at me the same way they scoff at nonbinary kids
Old 01-11-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Today, 11:15 PM

uqekizig

You all may laugh at me for my post claiming that transgenders/nonbinary/etc are just the 2010s equivalent of hippies. Then you scoff at my misunderstanding of history when I use the phrase "hippie counterculture of the 1960s". without even taking time to point out the historical ignorance, so that you can remain smug and intellectually superior while you laugh at me. You would rather let ignorance persist so you can sit back and laugh at it, rather than fight the ignorance, which is very boring compared to laughing at it. Well, jokes on you, I have no ego to be harmed. Nothing matters.

I wrote that post because my parents dislike LGBT and I dont want them to scoff at me the same way they scoff at nonbinary kids
In other words, you wrote the OP because you are mad at your parents? Were you planning to show it to them to prove your loyalty?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
In other words, you wrote the OP because you are mad at your parents? Were you planning to show it to them to prove your loyalty?
For two years I was a trans girl. Then forced to detransition because of family pressure. I feel nonbinary but I also feel that's kind of dumb and cringy, I can picture my parents scoffing and cringing at it. I'm just trying to make arguments to convince myself the gender thing is a wacky cult I got drawn into, and that my parents are right. They were born in 1956 so they could be right
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM

I know i sound like a troll when I claim I was a trans girl for two years. But I have proof when I get back to home computer on monday.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 AM

nm

Last edited by Riemann; 01-11-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They were born in 1956 so they could be right
What does their age have to do with it?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
More like the civil rights movement. I was there; you weren't.
I was there and this is exactly right.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
For two years I was a trans girl. Then forced to detransition because of family pressure. I feel nonbinary but I also feel that's kind of dumb and cringy, I can picture my parents scoffing and cringing at it. I'm just trying to make arguments to convince myself the gender thing is a wacky cult I got drawn into, and that my parents are right. They were born in 1956 so they could be right
Your parents are just wrong.

Being a hippie was a choice to participate in a cultural phenomenon. LGBT identity is not a choice. That doesn't mean that everyone is completely certain of their identity from early childhood, but the emergence of your identity is a process of self-discovery, not a process of choice.

Your parents may think that it seems like there many more LGBT people than when they were growing up. But that's not because the number of LGBT people has increased, it's not because it's "trendy". It's because gay and especially trans people now no longer all feel that they must hide in the shadows and deny who they are. It's because we have made some progress in tolerance and awareness in recent years, so (in some places, at least) LGBT people are less afraid of ostracism or worse.

If your family won't accept who you are, you need help and support from outside your family. Do you have that?

Last edited by Riemann; 01-11-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

It has nothing to do with hippie counterculture, which did not become mainstream. It mostly evaporated except for a few pockets.

What it is something like was the sexual revolution of the late '60s. That was when people stopped pretending that no one had sex, and that if you did it had to be hidden. I was right at the cusp of this. The first time I visited my now wife at her college I had to sleep elsewhere. The second time I didn't have to sneak around.

The way it is different was that we straight people were not oppressed in any manner. It is a lot better now, in some places at least, but it was a lot worse back then.

I'm sorry that you have awful parents. Where are you from? I was born in 1951, and I fully support all your rights.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Are some kids jumping on the bandwagon, because it's accepted and their friends are doing it? Yes, probably. Does that mean the entire movement is nonsense that will just blow over? No.

It's inevitable that some people, especially young people who are still exploring their identities, will be exposed to a new concept and be attracted simply because it's new and interesting. Most of them will drop the idea pretty quickly as they realise that it doesn't really work for them.

About 18 years ago when I was at school, the idea of same-sex relationships was just starting to gain limited acceptance, and a whole bunch of my female classmates started identifying as bisexual. It quickly became obvious that some of them were just saying that to, slightly ironically, get guys. It's also pretty obvious that the ones who wound up married to, or in long-term relationships with, other women were not trying to make themselves look more interesting to boys. They were taking advantage of the new acceptability to come out about their sexual preferences, yes, but they weren't just playing or curious, even if others were.

Incidentally, some of those who jeered at the 'freaks' back then also wound up coming out as gay later.

None of this is new, not the L,G or B, not the T, not the Q, most definitely not the I and not even the +. What is changing is the level of information and acceptance. As I said, when I was at school, it was just starting to be OK for girls to identify as bi (though even those who now identify as lesbian had to say bi to be safe), but it was only the first hint of acceptance. I still had a friend at another school who was ostracised and attacked (by teachers, other students and when out on the street) for 'being a queer', and it was actually illegal for teachers to say anything positive about 'alternative lifestyles'. Someone who came out as L,G, T or bi if they were male, back then, had thought long and hard about it. They knew they were taking a big risk, and might lose jobs, friends and family. In some places now, a kid can come into school on Tuesday morning and say to their friend 'I think I'm gay/a boy/non-binary' and expect the response 'OK, cool.' Of course people in that situation are going to come out at an earlier stage of their inner journey than before. And yes, that means some are going to change their mind later, once they've spent time seeing if this new identity works better for them and decided that actually, no it doesn't. Some might even change their mind again later, and re-identify as LGBT+ as an adult, especially if their reception wasn't quite as easy as they'd hoped and they're now in a better place mentally.

Teens are still figuring stuff out, part of that includes trying out new ideas, some of which won't fit. That doesn't negate the existence of those who truly identify with concepts the others are just investigating.

Exploring the idea of being LGBT+ may well be 'just a phase', being LGBT+ isn't. Either way, considering the possibility isn't dumb.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Assuming the OP is serious and not a troll (because a lot of kids don't know history)...

Quote:
older ppl shouldn't be looking down at current youth as being unusually dumb with their gender ideas, because all generations have done analogous dumb things

in both cases, it's a form of rebellion against oppressive parents and societal norms. Changes in hair length to make statements. Denouncing authoritarian gender roles. Kids are dressing up and behaving in ways that frighten their parents. Parents are freaking out about their kid's hair colors, dressing style, liberal posting of selfies and nudes on the internet, and crazy ideas about gender. Just as crazy as the hippie's free love and ideas of expanding your consciousness with acid and dreadlocks and tie dye.
As pointed out upthread, the non-binary gender "stuff" is more like the Civil Rights movement than the "hippies counterculture"

(I think you have mistaken notions about the hippies, too, but I want to keep this post short enough to be readable in a morning)

First of all, there was PLENTY of LGBTQIA+ stuff going on in the 1960's - check out the Stonewall riots to start. Subsequent history/popular culture has ignored these things. There is a LONG history of trans sexual people in the world, it's not a new thing at all, but it is an ignored and suppressed things.

Black people refusing to sit in the back of the bus any longer was not a "teenage rebellion", women in the 1960's demanding the same reproductive and professional freedoms and rights that men had long enjoyed was not "teenage rebellion", LGBTQIA+ people demanding the right to be who they are and love who they love is not "teenage rebellion".
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
1) Use the internet to study actual history, not just what your parents remember of it.

2) If you're questioning/uncertain of your gender identity then you need some sort of non-judgmental environment in which to work this out. Unfortunately, we all have to live in the real world which is full of judges and scolds, hence the concept of a "safe space". Find one.

3) Your parents conceived, gave birth to, and raised you. They do not get to dictate how you live your adult life. It sounds like you're trying to please your parents and while that's fine in many ways in other ways you need to be true to yourself. There was more than one decision I made as an adult my parents disapproved of or thought was wrong, but being the sort of people they were they didn't "cringe" or "scoff" - they expressed their opinion followed by something along the lines of in the end it was my life and my decision. Sometimes I was right, sometimes they were, but the point is, as an adult your have to make your own decisions for you. That includes whether or how much you're going to come out as LGBTQIA+ and how you're going to live your life once you leave home. The only wrong choice is the one that leaves YOU miserable or worse.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM

So you're saying transgenderism is just some fleeting thing that people will grow out of in a couple decades? Ok.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

You might want to clarify if you're aiming that at the OP, because that is not what I said.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM

As Leaffan and others in this thread say, gay and trans people have been around before, and had a much more difficult time in the past.
Things have gotten better, but things are still difficult, as evidenced by the fact that sadly, there's still so much homophobia and transphobia around.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Are you aware of how LGBT people have been treated historically, that in much of the world they still risk severe persecution, including imprisonment and physical violence up to and including state-sanctioned murder? Yet your thesis is that all these people are really cis-het, and just pretending? Just acting out to be cool & rebellious, to annoy their parents? Does that really seem remotely plausible?

If you're a teenager in the Bible Belt or some such benighted place, and you have been surrounded your whole life by ignorant bigots teaching you that "homosexuality is a choice", well - maybe you get a pass on posting this drivel one time. But you need better critical thinking skills than you show here.
This.

Like, if you're just a kid who doesn't know any better, you may find some people here willing to teach you a bit about the LGBT+ movements. Hell, maybe I'm one of them.

But everything you've been saying is really really really wrong, to the point where you need to sit down, cool off, and listen. If you're not willing to do that, we probably can't/won't help you.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
You might want to clarify if you're aiming that at the OP, because that is not what I said.
I am, and I was being kind of facetious anyway.

However, I do think that Rapid-onset gender dysphoria does kind of fit into this.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I am, and I was being kind of facetious anyway.

However, I do think that Rapid-onset gender dysphoria does kind of fit into this.
It also isn't actually a thing.
Except, like so many of the spurious ideas thrown at us, ROGD is not a real condition and never has been. The one paper on the subject, published in PLOS One – a journal that reviews only the technical aspects of the papers published, rather than the interpretation of the results – endorses the “condition” based upon the claims of 164 parent responses that met study criteria. This sample was based on online survey results sourced from three blogs that all have a strong anti-transgender history, with no testimony from any neutral or pro-transgender online spaces, or from the transgender children themselves – the people who best would be able to describe their experiences.

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health released a statement on the phenomenon, stating: “The term ‘rapid-onset gender dysphoria (ROGD)’ is not a medical entity recognised by any major professional association ... therefore, it constitutes nothing more than an acronym created to describe a proposed clinical phenomenon that may or may not warrant further peer-reviewed scientific investigation.”

Dr Julia Serano, a researcher with almost two decades of experience in developmental and evolutionary biology, explores this further. Citing the far more well-researched history of gender dysphoria and client-supportive transition care, she writes “what’s ‘rapid’ about ROGD is parents’ sudden awareness and assessment of their child’s gender dysphoria (which, from the child’s standpoint, may be longstanding and thoughtfully considered)”.

It's not a real medical condition. It's the latest in pseudoscientific claptrap used as a cudgel against LGBT people.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM

This, if true, is worrying:
Quote:
I have no idea whether you're a transgirl, troll or just a confused person who went through a phase. If you're genuinely a transgirl browbeaten into denying who you really are, there are resources and support groups available to you via the interwebs you should check out.

Quote:
I know i sound like a troll when I claim I was a trans girl for two years. But I have proof when I get back to home computer on monday.
I can't imagine any "proof" you could post that would contribute constructively to the conversation. Either we believe you or we don't, and either we'd accept the "proof" as genuine or we wouldn't.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
There is a LONG history of trans sexual people in the world, it's not a new thing at all, but it is an ignored and suppressed things.
Exactly. What we're seeing now is another step in the long process of recognizing that people matter more than categories.

Humans naturally like to define common simple distinctions as immutable and universal. "Human beings are either male or female." "Male humans have penises and female humans have vaginas." "Male humans are sexually attracted to female humans and vice versa." "Young male humans like trucks and young female humans like dolls." And so forth.

The side effect has always been to relegate the minority of people who don't conform to these "rules" to some kind of inferior or suspect status, "abnormal" or "unnatural" or "messed up" or whatever.

But pretty much everything about human beings exists on a spectrum of possibility rather than in some immutable unary or binary category: everything from our gender orientation to the number of fingers we have. Trans rights are part of the struggle to recognize that reality instead of trying to deny or suppress it with simple classification schemes.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All the transgender/nonbinary/genderqueer/LGBTQIA+ stuff of today, is just the 2010s equivalent of..
Somewhat, yeah.

The hippie countercultural male was a gentle peaceful... well, at least the model, the flower child, if you will... not just anti-war but anti-the attitudes and belligerence and violence that led to war. And what else? Well, the counterculture was sure into sex, but it was a different model of sex than either the Hugh Hefner portrayal or the older and often more hypocritical paterfamilias pillar-of-community version (in which the sinful dirty stuff is kept on the side); the countercultural hippie "free love" thing embraced (at least in comparison with the other models) an equal and joyous sexuality in which the hippie women were not denigrated with that double-standard stuff and in which sex itself wasn't about adversarially conquering female prey or claiming her as sexual property that other guys were supposed to keep their hands off, etc.

Before you raise your hands and start in about belligerent authoritarian countercultural males chock-full of self-importance, leftward rhetoric that was still rife with pretentious male privilege and the general failure of the hippie boys to get on board with full-blown feminism and so forth, yeah I know, I'm well aware, probably more so than you are.

The point is, there is and was a sexual conservative establishment; your sociology teacher would have described it in terms of society's tendency to control and constrain sexuality and reproduction; it takes the form of a narrow and restrictive definition not only of the sex act (and of reproduction) but of the genders, polarizing them, defining them as opposites, with intolerant attitudes towards people who don't conform to the descriptions and play by the rules. And with that as the background, yes the hippie counterculture was in large part a social revolution against all that and so of course is the modern LGBTQIA+ (I prefer "MOGII", see note below) explosion of identities and gender expressions and sexual orientation variation and so on.

MOGII: "minority orientation, gender identity, and intersex". An elegantly generalized alternative to the never-ending proliferation of alphabetic-soup additions to the chain.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Are some kids jumping on the bandwagon, because it's accepted and their friends are doing it? Yes, probably. Does that mean the entire movement is nonsense that will just blow over? No.

It's inevitable that some people, especially young people who are still exploring their identities, will be exposed to a new concept and be attracted simply because it's new and interesting. Most of them will drop the idea pretty quickly as they realise that it doesn't really work for them.

About 18 years ago when I was at school, the idea of same-sex relationships was just starting to gain limited acceptance, and a whole bunch of my female classmates started identifying as bisexual. It quickly became obvious that some of them were just saying that to, slightly ironically, get guys. It's also pretty obvious that the ones who wound up married to, or in long-term relationships with, other women were not trying to make themselves look more interesting to boys. They were taking advantage of the new acceptability to come out about their sexual preferences, yes, but they weren't just playing or curious, even if others were.

Incidentally, some of those who jeered at the 'freaks' back then also wound up coming out as gay later.

None of this is new, not the L,G or B, not the T, not the Q, most definitely not the I and not even the +. What is changing is the level of information and acceptance. As I said, when I was at school, it was just starting to be OK for girls to identify as bi (though even those who now identify as lesbian had to say bi to be safe), but it was only the first hint of acceptance. I still had a friend at another school who was ostracised and attacked (by teachers, other students and when out on the street) for 'being a queer', and it was actually illegal for teachers to say anything positive about 'alternative lifestyles'. Someone who came out as L,G, T or bi if they were male, back then, had thought long and hard about it. They knew they were taking a big risk, and might lose jobs, friends and family. In some places now, a kid can come into school on Tuesday morning and say to their friend 'I think I'm gay/a boy/non-binary' and expect the response 'OK, cool.' Of course people in that situation are going to come out at an earlier stage of their inner journey than before. And yes, that means some are going to change their mind later, once they've spent time seeing if this new identity works better for them and decided that actually, no it doesn't. Some might even change their mind again later, and re-identify as LGBT+ as an adult, especially if their reception wasn't quite as easy as they'd hoped and they're now in a better place mentally.

Teens are still figuring stuff out, part of that includes trying out new ideas, some of which won't fit. That doesn't negate the existence of those who truly identify with concepts the others are just investigating.

Exploring the idea of being LGBT+ may well be 'just a phase', being LGBT+ isn't. Either way, considering the possibility isn't dumb.
Hey, excellent points!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Somewhat, yeah.

The hippie countercultural male was a gentle peaceful... well, at least the model, the flower child, if you will... not just anti-war but anti-the attitudes and belligerence and violence that led to war. And what else? Well, the counterculture was sure into sex, but it was a different model of sex than either the Hugh Hefner portrayal or the older and often more hypocritical paterfamilias pillar-of-community version (in which the sinful dirty stuff is kept on the side); the countercultural hippie "free love" thing embraced (at least in comparison with the other models) an equal and joyous sexuality in which the hippie women were not denigrated with that double-standard stuff and in which sex itself wasn't about adversarially conquering female prey or claiming her as sexual property that other guys were supposed to keep their hands off, etc.

Before you raise your hands and start in about belligerent authoritarian countercultural males chock-full of self-importance, leftward rhetoric that was still rife with pretentious male privilege and the general failure of the hippie boys to get on board with full-blown feminism and so forth, yeah I know, I'm well aware, probably more so than you are.

The point is, there is and was a sexual conservative establishment; your sociology teacher would have described it in terms of society's tendency to control and constrain sexuality and reproduction; it takes the form of a narrow and restrictive definition not only of the sex act (and of reproduction) but of the genders, polarizing them, defining them as opposites, with intolerant attitudes towards people who don't conform to the descriptions and play by the rules. And with that as the background, yes the hippie counterculture was in large part a social revolution against all that and so of course is the modern LGBTQIA+ (I prefer "MOGII", see note below) explosion of identities and gender expressions and sexual orientation variation and so on.

MOGII: "minority orientation, gender identity, and intersex". An elegantly generalized alternative to the never-ending proliferation of alphabetic-soup additions to the chain.
All I can say is - that's a lot of words in proximity to one another.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-11-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
It also isn't actually a thing.
Except, like so many of the spurious ideas thrown at us, ROGD is not a real condition and never has been. The one paper on the subject, published in PLOS One – a journal that reviews only the technical aspects of the papers published, rather than the interpretation of the results – endorses the “condition” based upon the claims of 164 parent responses that met study criteria. This sample was based on online survey results sourced from three blogs that all have a strong anti-transgender history, with no testimony from any neutral or pro-transgender online spaces, or from the transgender children themselves – the people who best would be able to describe their experiences.

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health released a statement on the phenomenon, stating: “The term ‘rapid-onset gender dysphoria (ROGD)’ is not a medical entity recognised by any major professional association ... therefore, it constitutes nothing more than an acronym created to describe a proposed clinical phenomenon that may or may not warrant further peer-reviewed scientific investigation.”

Dr Julia Serano, a researcher with almost two decades of experience in developmental and evolutionary biology, explores this further. Citing the far more well-researched history of gender dysphoria and client-supportive transition care, she writes “what’s ‘rapid’ about ROGD is parents’ sudden awareness and assessment of their child’s gender dysphoria (which, from the child’s standpoint, may be longstanding and thoughtfully considered)”.

It's not a real medical condition. It's the latest in pseudoscientific claptrap used as a cudgel against LGBT people.
Yep, BPC is correct here. Many parents, ranging from the clueless to the transphobic, claim their kiddo has never shown signs of being gender variant or trans. Talk to the kiddo and you get a very different story.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Sith Mod

The main problem with your idea that being trans is just the latest generations way of being rebellious, is, of course, the thousands and thousands of trans people who are middle-aged or older.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM

This quote deserves highlighting in case anyone missed it:

Quote:
...Dr Julia Serano, a researcher with almost two decades of experience in developmental and evolutionary biology, explores this further. Citing the far more well-researched history of gender dysphoria and client-supportive transition care, she writes “what’s ‘rapid’ about ROGD is parents’ sudden awareness and assessment of their child’s gender dysphoria (which, from the child’s standpoint, may be longstanding and thoughtfully considered)”.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Parental cluelessness about a child's sexual identity is nothing new. Lenny Bruce had a bit about a mother's inability to see a son's obvious gayness back over 50 years ago.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Just abandon this thread. I know the OP was screwed up
Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Your parents are just wrong.

Being a hippie was a choice to participate in a cultural phenomenon. LGBT identity is not a choice. That doesn't mean that everyone is completely certain of their identity from early childhood, but the emergence of your identity is a process of self-discovery, not a process of choice.

Your parents may think that it seems like there many more LGBT people than when they were growing up. But that's not because the number of LGBT people has increased, it's not because it's "trendy". It's because gay and especially trans people now no longer all feel that they must hide in the shadows and deny who they are. It's because we have made some progress in tolerance and awareness in recent years, so (in some places, at least) LGBT people are less afraid of ostracism or worse.

If your family won't accept who you are, you need help and support from outside your family. Do you have that?
I wish we had a "like" or "agree" button I could push about 100,000 times.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
No problem, we all sometimes fall into the trap of posting a novel exciting idea before really thinking it through. You can request a mod to have your thread officially closed if you like.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
No problem, we all sometimes fall into the trap of posting a novel exciting idea before really thinking it through. You can request a mod to have your thread officially closed if you like.
I don't agree with closing a thread just based on OP no longer wanting to participate, unless it was narrowly focused only on one person's circumstances. This seems like a general discussion that may be of interest to many other people too.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-11-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You all may laugh at me for my post claiming that transgenders/nonbinary/etc are just the 2010s equivalent of hippies.
Is it your belief that "transgenders/nonbinary/etc" did not exist prior to 2010?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think you should ask for the post to be closed. I think you should ask more questions so that you get a better understanding both of what the 1960's counterculture movement (and other movements of the 1960's) was all about, and about LGBTQ people and their struggles. By being on this message board, you have a great opportunity to learn. Take advantage of it.

To quote Linda Ellerbee, "If you want to know, ask!"
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Then you scoff at my misunderstanding of history when I use the phrase "hippie counterculture of the 1960s". without even taking time to point out the historical ignorance, so that you can remain smug and intellectually superior while you laugh at me. You would rather let ignorance persist so you can sit back and laugh at it,
Welcome to The Dope!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I feel nonbinary but I also feel that's kind of dumb and cringy
No, it's normal and fine. If you feel nonbinary you are normal and fine. If you are trans you are normal and fine.

Quote:
I'm just trying to make arguments to convince myself the gender thing is a wacky cult I got drawn into, and that my parents are right.
You are going through a difficult time in your life. Your parents never went through this so they don't understand it.

You are who you are. If you like, you could start another thread to discuss what you're going through.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
The main problem with your idea that being trans is just the latest generations way of being rebellious, is, of course, the thousands and thousands of trans people who are middle-aged or older.
My mom had a cousin who came out as trans, back in the mid-1950s. He spent the rest of his life as a man, but nobody understood any of it within his lifetime.

And I came out (as gay) in 1963... back when NOBODY was out. And throughout the 60s, I knew quite a few hippies, and it was just as difficult coming out to them as to anyone else. I'm 73 now, past middle-aged.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
For two years I was a trans girl. Then forced to detransition because of family pressure. I feel nonbinary but I also feel that's kind of dumb and cringy, I can picture my parents scoffing and cringing at it. I'm just trying to make arguments to convince myself the gender thing is a wacky cult I got drawn into, and that my parents are right. They were born in 1956 so they could be right.
Born in 1956, rarely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Parental cluelessness about a child's sexual identity is nothing new. Lenny Bruce had a bit about a mother's inability to see a son's obvious gayness back over 50 years ago.
Quote:
Do NOT give up.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Regarding ROGD.
Quote:
Cf. drapetomania.