Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Is "globalist" an alt-right term for "Jew"?

A Huff Post article talks about a Fox News reporter using the word "globalist" to describe Gary Cohn in a question to Sarah Huckabee. The article said that "globalist" is an alt-right term for Jew. Is this a common dog whistle?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0e9381c14ec9b?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:10 PM

I haven't heard that. Although people who complain about "globalists" have a significant overlap with people who complain about Jews, I have only ever heard the two terms describe different sorts of people. To the alt-right, a globalist is a traitor who wants to surrender American authority to the UN, or who want to create a New World Order to the detriment of America. They hate people like Obama and Hillary, who make sweeping trade deals and political treaties with other nations, as a prelude to establishing a single world government where Americans are marginalized.

To a smaller subset of alt-right loonies, a separate but equally alarming issue is that Jews are taking over the American entertainment industry and government. These people hate Israel and Jews, and are more of the traditional type of fascist.

There are plenty of alt-righters who hate globalists, but love Israel. They see American support of Israel as either a holy quest to fulfill a prophecy, or as brothers in arms against the evil Muslims.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:20 PM
Suspended

No, because there is no such thing as "alt-right".

"Alt-right" is a neofascist term that means "neofascist".
Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 PM

That doesn't seem right. I think Jews are just considered one group in the globalist cabal. So a Jew=globalist but a globalist != Jew.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-07-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
There are plenty of alt-righters who hate globalists, but love Israel. They see American support of Israel as either a holy quest to fulfill a prophecy, or as brothers in arms against the evil Muslims.
Alt-right is a very broad category comprising a number of overlapping groups, but in the main, it seems to associate Jews with (((globalism))) while at the same time making a lot of exceptions for individual Jews. Also, it includes both people who view Israel as the center of a Zionist conspiracy, and people who are indifferent or openly supportive of Israel.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

I thought 'globalist' was a virtue-signal term used by progressives. You know, one world, no borders, John Lennon etc.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 AM

I feel like this is a relevant quote.
Stop responding to everyone who worries about Wall Street or globalism or the elite with “I THINK YOU MEAN JEWS. BECAUSE JEWS ARE THE ELITES. ALL ELITES AND GLOBALISTS ARE JEWS. IF YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT THE ELITE, IT’S DEFINITELY JEWS YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT. IF YOU FEEL SCREWED BY WALL STREET, THEN THE PEOPLE WHO SCREWED YOU WERE THE JEWS. IT’S THE JEWS WHO ARE DOING ALL THIS, MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER THAT. DEFINITELY TRANSLATE YOUR HATRED TOWARDS A VAGUE ESTABLISHMENT INTO HATRED OF JEWS, BECAUSE THEY’RE TOTALLY THE ONES YOU’RE THINKING OF.” This means you, Vox. Someday those three or four people who still believe the media are going to read this stuff and immediately join the Nazi Party, and nobody will be able to blame them.
I'm sure it can be an alt-right dog whistle. On the other hand, I think most people who are worried about "globalists" are people who are worried about, y'know, globalists, and the influence and power they have in fighting against more nationalist concerns, as opposed to the fact that they tend to be jewish. Or, to make it very blunt, you know who else tends to really love to point out how many "globalists" tend to be extremely rich jews? Antisemites. There's a reason for that. I don't think that people who spend a lot of time railing against globalists are right, but I think most of them aren't likely to be antisemites, and that talking like this is only more likely to push them in that direction.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 03-08-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
No, because there is no such thing as "alt-right".

"Alt-right" is a neofascist term that means "neofascist".
WTF? Alt-right is a term that was coined by the alt-right:

Quote:
White supremacist Richard Spencer initially promoted the term in 2010 in reference to a movement centered on white nationalism and did so, according to the Associated Press, to disguise overt racism, white supremacism, neo-fascism and neo-Nazism.
From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

Sorry for the hijack, but I thought that should be addressed.

Seems like "globalist" sometimes means Jew, and sometimes doesn't. I'm sure it supplies plenty of plausible deniability.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

That's the same thing that DavidwithanR just said.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

There's a weird conundrum here.

The stereotype for Jews has been, for centuries, that they're shadowy moneylenders who get rich off the backs of poor people.

Our economy has plenty of actual shadowy moneylenders who get rich off the backs of poor people (most on-the-nose cite), and only a few of them are Jewish, and that's a coincidence that they are.

But it means that when you talk about the overreaches and pitfalls of capitalism--a necessary conversation even for folks who advocate for capitalism--it's very easy for the language used to resemble antisemitic slurs, given the stereotypes that exist.

Way I figure it, it's on folks criticizing capitalist overreaches to be extra-careful in their language and extra-careful in their self-reflection, to avoid slipping unconsciously or deliberately into antisemitic bullshit; and it's on folks criticizing antisemitism to look closely at what folks say, to avoid calling something antisemitic when it's criticizing capitalism and not stereotyping Jews.

"Globalist" lives at the intersection. It is perfectly possible to criticize global capitalism without being antisemitic, but it's also perfectly possible to promulgate antisemitic smears under a facade of criticism of capitalism. Be careful, y'all.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That's the same thing that DavidwithanR just said.
You're correct, of course. Sorry for the misreading on my part.

RS
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
There's a weird conundrum here.

The stereotype for Jews has been, for centuries, that they're shadowy moneylenders who get rich off the backs of poor people ... [snip]
There's a little more to this, if we're talking about "centuries ago" ... let's get rid of the idea that the common people could borrow money ... common people themselves were no better than property ... it was the aristocracy who borrowed money from the Jews ...

Sometimes is was just easier to kill the Jews rather than pay back the loans ... so it was important that Jews never ever be seen as humans ... they were considered animals and thus not subject to the laws prohibiting murder ...
Old 03-08-2018, 11:00 AM

The president just called Gary Cohn a globalist AND a nationalist.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM

I've always read "globalist" as elitist. Apparently it's pretty common to assume it's a Jewish dog whistle. Same with talking shit about East Coast elites. It was never clear to me how that worked when slamming Obama.

My best guess is that there's significant overlap between the people that hate elites and the people that hate Jews. Those people hate Jews and globalists because those groups are the ones keeping down the common man. However, saying "globalists" isn't necessarily a code-word. Maybe that's naïve of me, but I haven't seen a compelling argument that it's necessarily a dog whistle.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 PM

The Stalinist term is something like "rootless cosmopolitan", but I don't know if that is always synonymous with "Jew."
Old 03-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
Alt-right is a very broad category comprising a number of overlapping groups, but in the main, it seems to associate Jews with (((globalism))) while at the same time making a lot of exceptions for individual Jews. Also, it includes both people who view Israel as the center of a Zionist conspiracy, and people who are indifferent or openly supportive of Israel.
That whole three brackets thing is an alt-right way of indicating a person is jewish. From the wikipedia page for it;

The use of triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), is an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background. The practice originated from the alt-right blog The Right Stuff; the blog's editors have explained that the symbol is meant to symbolize that the historic actions of Jews had caused their surnames to "echo throughout history". The triple parentheses have been adopted as an online stigma by antisemites, neo-Nazis, and white nationalists to identify individuals of Jewish background as targets for online harassment, such as Jewish political journalists critical of Donald Trump during his 2016 election campaign
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Liberals tend to assume that "conservative" and "neocon" and "alt right" are pretty much the same thing.

They ain't.

There are many conservatives who are sympathetic to Jews in general and to Israel in particular. (Liberal Jews tend to dismiss their support, and claim, "They only like Israel because they think it will trigger the Second Coming."

The alt-right hate Jews in general as well as anyone who doesn't hate them. The alt-right is NOT Christian. Note well, I do not say "They're not TRUE Christians," I say they aren't Christians, period.

Alt-right guru Richard Spencer and his fans are militant atheists, though they sort of like Nordic pagan gods. Don't believe me? Google "Cuckstian" and see what they think of American Christianity. They regard Christians as fools who've been tricked into embracing a Jewish heresy. They hate Christianity because it preaches universal brotherhood rather than loyalty to just your own race.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
That whole three brackets thing is an alt-right way of indicating a person is jewish. From the wikipedia page for it...[/I]
Oh, I know. At this point it seems to have migrated to tongue-in-cheek usage by both liberals making fun of the alt-right, and sometimes the alt-right themselves, when joking about politics.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
That whole three brackets thing is an alt-right way of indicating a person is jewish. From the wikipedia page for it;

The use of triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), is an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background. The practice originated from the alt-right blog The Right Stuff; the blog's editors have explained that the symbol is meant to symbolize that the historic actions of Jews had caused their surnames to "echo throughout history". The triple parentheses have been adopted as an online stigma by antisemites, neo-Nazis, and white nationalists to identify individuals of Jewish background as targets for online harassment, such as Jewish political journalists critical of Donald Trump during his 2016 election campaign
Apparently, there’s an app for that.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/racist...mps-son-in-law
Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Liberals tend to assume that "conservative" and "neocon" and "alt right" are pretty much the same thing.
I don't know if I've ever seen this. Nobody calls John McCain, or Paul Ryan alt-right.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:26 PM

It doesn't only mean "Jew". It can also mean "climate change believer".
Old 03-09-2018, 12:00 AM

"Globalist" means anyone or group with a capacity to control others by some nefarious means either directly or indirectly.

Almost always used in the context of a conspiracy theory.

Ultra Right Fascists (Nazi's) scapegoat Jews for this all the time.
Ultra Left Progressives do the same with Corporations.

It is really just a term that differs depending on who you ask (if you'd even want to).

I had two college professors who had a lot of coursework on Globalists and Globalization, One seemed to be fairly neutral in politics but she called all Capitalists Globalists as well as every Banking corporation, and the other was very far to the left and he used "Globalists" to describe corporate interests with far reach, deep pockets and heavy consequence (Monsanto, Microsoft, Oil Companies etc..)

It means whatever you want it to mean I suppose.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I thought 'globalist' was a virtue-signal term used by progressives. You know, one world, no borders, John Lennon etc.
And I thought it was how crazy right-wingers say Jew.

Though if you have a cite for where you found your opinion, I'd be happy to read it.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post

Though if you have a cite for where you found your opinion, I'd be happy to read it.
It did start out as a positive term, though not one exclusively associated with progressives. In 1953, for example, [/i]Brittanica Book of the Year[/i] defined "globalist" as "one believing in the world-wide distribution of U.S. troops as a defence against Communism". In the 1960s, the term was basically neutral; globalist/globalism could be used of any approach to a problem or issue which argued that could only, or most effectively, be addressed on a global scale.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM

The Zionists are perhaps the most nationalist group in history(ok top 3), so it wouldn’t make sense. Not that it has to.

OTOH, zionists could advocate for the US govt to be globally oriented in order to benefit their ultra-nationalist project. This seems to be the case.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
The Zionists are perhaps the most nationalist group in history(ok top 3), so it wouldn’t make sense. Not that it has to.

OTOH, zionists could advocate for the US govt to be globally oriented in order to benefit their ultra-nationalist project. This seems to be the case.
So much wrong with this I don't know where to start ...

First, I guess, and most fundamentally, "Jews" are not the same thing as "Zionists".
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
So much wrong with this I don't know where to start ...

First, I guess, and most fundamentally, "Jews" are not the same thing as "Zionists".
Um, that’s not something wrong with what I said, because I didn’t say that. Since you failed on your first attempt, would you like to try again?

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-09-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post

She's mocking the people that claim globalist means Jew, so I wouldn't come that as a cite.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:

[I]The use of triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), is an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background.
I thought it indicated that someone needed a hug.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:25 PM

My wife is convinced that it is in a sentence that includes "Globalist Gary Cohn". Just a reminder. On the other hand, it is likely that anyone opposing the tariffs is, literally, a globalist. But then it shouldn't be necessary to use the word. I'm inclined to think she is right.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 AM

I like the tweet I saw that said something like, "I'm half-globalist on my mother's side. My wife isn't, but she likes the holidays. We're raising our kids globalist."

Let's call it a semi-whistle.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
1. Alt-right is a term that was coined by the alt-right:

2. Seems like "globalist" sometimes means Jew, and sometimes doesn't. I'm sure it supplies plenty of plausible deniability.
1. That's true. However, calling people alt-right who don't consider themselves so is often done by people on the left. Even though alt-right was coined by people claiming to be it, it's not particularly clear exactly what it means or who it encompasses. But it has a generally negative connotation, a 'bad boy' connotation even by those attaching it to themselves. So in the game (both sides play with words) it makes sense for the left to spread it around more widely.

2. Likewise there I'd say it's more like their plausible deniability on the left to imply 'globalist' means Jewish, plausible to deny they know it doesn't generally mean that.

The predominant use of 'globalist' is an epithet aimed at conventional conservatives or the GOP 'elite' as populists like to call conventional conservatives, those anyway who hold pro-free trade and relatively 'liberal' views on immigration. An epithet broadly hurled by GOP populists, not particularly by the 'alt right', nor particularly at Jews. It's commonly applied to the prevailing views and policies of Bush II and earlier GOP admins and 'conventional' GOP conservative Congresspeople and pundits now, with no particular regard to their religious background. It can apply to a Democrat (which Cohn is nominally) but mainly it's an intra-party insult.

I believe it's more plausible to claim the term 'neocon' has come to be aimed at Jewish conservatives in particular than 'globalist'. Which is one reason it's used so much less.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 AM

"Many argue that the invocation of the term “globalist” carries an undertone of anti-Semitism for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that it was originally deployed by Bannon, who has a much larger record of dabbling in anti-Semitism.

In general, the idea that Jews in particular are not loyal citizens is a longtime anti-Semitic trope. And it seems noteworthy that in the initial round of globalist versus nationalist arguments, Bannon’s main antagonists — not just Cohn but also Kushner and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin — were mostly Jewish. "

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ists-explained

It's not much of a step from hurling invective at "globalists" to targeting "international bankers" and "Rothschilds", which gets well beyond dog whistles and into a piercingly audible range.

As for related conspiracy theories, the shadowy figures said to be perpetrating them are commonly Jews.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
1. However, calling people alt-right who don't consider themselves so is often done by people on the left.
And people on the right love to use the term 'leftist". It's not like putting labels on people you disagree with is a new tactic.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Um, that’s not something wrong with what I said, because I didn’t say that. Since you failed on your first attempt, would you like to try again?
Uh, why on earth are you going on about "Zionists" in a thread that is about terms used for "Jews"?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Globalist is the new socialist. It means everything and nothing simultaneously, and everyone who uses it just means "someone who I don't like" but wants to sound more sophisticated about it.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Uh, why on earth are you going on about "Zionists" in a thread that is about terms used for "Jews"?
It’s like going on about triangles in a thread about shapes.

Zionists are nationalist Jews. Nationalism is anti-globalist. Is that so crazy to mention in a thread about how “globalist” might be a dog-whistle for “Jew”? I think maybe you’re confused.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It’s like going on about triangles in a thread about shapes.
Which would be a silly thing to go on about, if the thread was about the term for "shapes".

The fact that triangles are a subset of shapes would make as little difference or sense in that context as the fact that (some) Zionists are a subset of Jews make in this one.

Quote:
Zionists are nationalist Jews. Nationalism is anti-globalist.
First, not all Zionists are Jewish. In the US, for example, a good many are Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism

So your statement is simply factually incorrect: Zionists are not nationalist Jews. Some Zionists are nationalist Jews. Maybe even most Zionists are nationalist Jews. But they aren't synonymous, a fact of considerable importance, particularly in the US, where non-Jewish Zionists wield considerable influence.

Quote:
Is that so crazy to mention in a thread about how “globalist” might be a dog-whistle for “Jew”? I think maybe you’re confused.
It is no contradiction to the use of the dog-whistle "globalist" to point out that some Jews embrace a nationalism of their own, any more than it is to point out, with equal truth, that some Jews are American nationalists, Canadian nationalists, or whatever - those using the dog-whistle will just scoff that they don't mean those particular ones, but rather, a tendency within Judaism generally.

Or worse, such people could claim that the "globalism" the dog-whistlers are complaining about "really" serves the 'national' interests of those pesky Jews.

Sort of like the following argument:

Quote:
Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Which would be a silly thing to go on about, if the thread was about the term for "shapes".
If someone said that “quadrilaterals” was really a term for “shapes” and I mentioned triangles, I don’t think it would be too wild, but I’m kinda laid back about what people choose to talk about.

Quote:
The fact that triangles are a subset of shapes would make as little difference or sense in that context as the fact that (some) Zionists are a subset of Jews make in this one.
I disagreed, which is why I said it. Similar to how you are now discussing something that is a slight digression from the OP, my post was also a slight digression. Let’s just chalk it up to the fact that you really wished I said something that I didn’t say so that you could score some type of semantic point.

Quote:
First, not all Zionists are Jewish. In the US, for example, a good many are Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism

So your statement is simply factually incorrect: Zionists are not nationalist Jews. Some Zionists are nationalist Jews. Maybe even most Zionists are nationalist Jews. But they aren't synonymous,
Yes my second post was factually incorrect as phrased. See, we can both be wrong and it’s still ok.

Quote:
a fact of considerable importance, particularly in the US, where non-Jewish Zionists wield considerable influence.
No, this isn’t important to my point. My point was that since Zionism is Jewish nationalism, and a large number of Jews are Zionists, it would be erroneous for a dog-whistler to suggest “globalist”=“Jew”. Not that this fact would stop a dog-whistler from making such an equivalency.

Quote:
It is no contradiction to the use of the dog-whistle "globalist" to point out that some Jews embrace a nationalism of their own, any more than it is to point out, with equal truth, that some Jews are American nationalists, Canadian nationalists, or whatever - those using the dog-whistle will just scoff that they don't mean those particular ones, but rather, a tendency within Judaism generally.
It is a contradiction. Simply because the dog-whistler scoffs at those points does not mean it isn’t a contradiction. I think you overestimate the power of the scoff.

Quote:
Or worse, such people could claim that the "globalism" the dog-whistlers are complaining about "really" serves the 'national' interests of those pesky Jews.

Sort of like the following argument:
The “globalism” (or “internationalism” or “Wilsonianism”, to pick less charged terms) that the dog-whistlers complain about serves the interest of Zionists, not “pesky Jews”. That’s what my argument actually stated. Your summary, which included that unfortunate epithet, was an attempt to smear me, which is something I’m quite used to. Do you find that simply substituting an epithet for another term is effective in an argument?

Do you disagree that the postwar international posture of the US government has been helpful to the maintenance of the Jewish nation in Israel?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Is "globalist" an alt-right term for "Jew"?

A Huff Post article talks about a Fox News reporter using the word "globalist" to describe Gary Cohn in a question to Sarah Huckabee. The article said that "globalist" is an alt-right term for Jew. Is this a common dog whistle?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0e9381c14ec9b?
Dog whistle? Is "the article" suggesting that people can actually have a useful conversation while all sides chose to make up their own definitions for commonly defined terms? That may be what you actually said, but we know what you actually mean. blah, blah, blah.

globalist
noun [ C ] uk /ˈɡləʊ.bəl.ɪst/ us /ˈɡloʊ.bəl.ɪst/

someone who believes that economic and foreign policy should be planned in an international way, rather than according to what is best for one particular country :

He is a globalist, whereas we are nationalists who will put our country first.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...lish/globalist
Old 03-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Wouldn't a globalist be, ya know, like the opposite of a flat earther?