Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Trump isn't playing games, he's now actively colluding with Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
The White House also axed some guy named Steve Goldstein at the State Department, who was Tillerson's aide and issued that statement this morning that Tillerson wanted to keep serving, hadn't talked to Trump and didn't know why he was being fired.
Hmmmm....
Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Quote:
President Donald Trump's longtime personal aide John McEntee was fired because he is currently under investigation by the Department of Homeland Security for serious financial crimes, a source familiar with his firing told CNN.

The charges are not related to the President, the source said.

Minutes after news of his departure broke, the Trump campaign announced McEntee would be joining the reelection effort as a senior adviser for campaign operations.
Guy couldn't get a security clearance, is being investigated for "serious financial crimes" and had to be walked out of the White House. Yeah, make him an adviser to the campaign. Sure, why not?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Rex Tillerson— a plutocratic oil magnate with deep ties to Russia, profoundly unqualified to be Secretary of State, who caused severe and possibly irrecoverable damage to the State Department and the international standing of the United States— and yet I'm kind of sorry to see him go.

Need to sit in a quiet place and think on that for a while.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Spare a thought for the people who are in control of the bodies that allegedly serve to provide checks against this sort of abuse and misuse of power, but are content to smile that Mitch McConnell smile and let all this happen.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM

And those who voted them into power and continue to cheer them on, don't forget about them!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
It really wouldn't surprise me if this had some part in the timing. Trump - and the GOP establishment - are worried enough about the optics of PA-18. I could see where a distraction to push a potential embarrassment off the front page could be useful. Say what you want about Trump but no one can deny he's media savvy.
I think the exact opposite is the case. Firing Tillerson is itself bad optics, and is unlikely to help the Republican candidate in PA. It would have made much more sense for Trump to have waited one more day.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Spare a thought for the people who are in control of the bodies that allegedly serve to provide checks against this sort of abuse and misuse of power, but are content to smile that Mitch McConnell smile and let all this happen.
What would Mitch McConnell do, if he were here right now?
He'd deregulate a bank or two, that's what Mitch McConnell'd do.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I think the exact opposite is the case. Firing Tillerson is itself bad optics, and is unlikely to help the Republican candidate in PA. It would have made much more sense for Trump to have waited one more day.
Adding to the already skyscraper-tall stack of evidence that Trump has no sense.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Rex Tillerson— a plutocratic oil magnate with deep ties to Russia, profoundly unqualified to be Secretary of State, who caused severe and possibly irrecoverable damage to the State Department and the international standing of the United States...
Damn, I thought you were satirizing the intro to "The A-Team". Anyway, try saying that in a deep announcer's voice.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 PM

But...But you guys all told me that Tillerson was in Russia's pocket, that he was a Putin puppet.

You couldn't have been, I dunno, on crack or something, could you?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Adding to the already skyscraper-tall stack of evidence that Trump has no sense.
IMO it's worse than having no sense. Because if you have no sense but are at least trying, then you can get guidance from people who do have sense. In Trump's case, his managing style is based on emotion and hangups, and is additionally combined with enormous arrogance. I'd take a normal person with no sense over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
So, Pompeo's deputy is nominated to run the CIA, which probably leaves the Tea Partier in effective control of both our foreign intel and our foreign policy. What could go wrong? I guess it'll be easier with one guy in charge of our "diplomats" and our diplomats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Gina Haspel is a tea-partier?
No, Pompeo, who I was saying would now effectively control both posts since he's leaving behind his deputy, was elected to Congress during the Tea Party craze.

Last edited by voltaire; 03-13-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Charter Member

I would like to note for the record that Donald Trump, a man who rode the phrase "you're fired!" into a position where he could jockey for... and win... the Presidency did NOT fire Tillerson via Twitter:

"Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job! Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!"

No, all the coward did was announce his replacement. Didn't even have the guts to *tweet* "Rex, you're fired!" or even a respectful(?) "I'm sorry, but it's not working out."

What a loser. A complete and utter loser. In some ways, this cowardice is the most alarming revelation into Trump's personality since his election.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
First female CIA director, am I right?
Apparently so. Also quite possibly the first CIA director who's personally run a system of torture chambers. So, we're making history left and right today.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
No, all the coward did was announce his replacement. Didn't even have the guts to *tweet* "Rex, you're fired!" or even a respectful(?) "I'm sorry, but it's not working out."
But "It's not you, it's me" would have been sweet!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
But...But you guys all told me that Tillerson was in Russia's pocket, that he was a Putin puppet.

You couldn't have been, I dunno, on crack or something, could you?
You get that people are questioning the process, not the value of Tillerson, right? I mean, you having been smoking crack, have you?

Last edited by madmonk28; 03-13-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
You get that people are questioning the process, not the value of Tillerson, right? I mean, you having been smoking crack, have you?
I know that that is not the case here, but looking at the Trump supporters in congress I do believe now that smoking crack would be better for them than trying to continue to carry water for this administration.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

It's incredible what the GOP is defending isn't it? The Secretary of State is a) not informed of the North Korea initiative and then b) fired 24 hours after criticizing Russian and c) learns about it on twitter. Remember that time Obama wore a tan suit and they said he looked unpresidential?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You get that people are questioning the process, not the value of Tillerson, right?
In part. But people have also been claiming that Trump fired Tillerson because he wasn't sufficiently pro-Russia, which seems to contrast with earlier claims that he was hired precisely because he was a pro-Russia stooge.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
In part. But people have also been claiming that Trump fired Tillerson because he wasn't sufficiently pro-Russia, which seems to contrast with earlier claims that he was hired precisely because he was a pro-Russia stooge.
IMHO that is what Trump expected, he turned into a disappointment (for him) like Sessions did.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
What would Mitch McConnell do, if he were here right now?
He'd deregulate a bank or two, that's what Mitch McConnell'd do.
I'm glad you're singing thar song, not Blame Canada!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 PM

You can probably be soft on Russia AND yet still think that openly murdering people in another country is going a little too far.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 PM

It says something about the Trump administration that while Tillerson was terrible at his job, it's deeply worrying that he is gone. In particular, Pompeo appears to be much more hawkish than Tillerson. His appointment may be a signal that Trump will pull out of the Iran deal which could lead to all sorts of complications including ultimately war. The Trump administration appears to be getting more chaotic by the month and the recent tariffs are an example of the chaos affecting policy. It's not just about crazy tweets any more...
Old 03-13-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I know that that is not the case here, but looking at the Trump supporters in congress I do believe now that smoking crack would be better for them than trying to continue to carry water for this administration.
Now, now...they make too much money to smoke crack. They don’t do crack; crack is wack!

Quote:
It's incredible what the GOP is defending isn't it? The Secretary of State is a) not informed of the North Korea initiative and then b) fired 24 hours after criticizing Russian and c) learns about it on twitter. Remember that time Obama wore a tan suit and they said he looked unpresidential?
Remember whe he ordered a burger with dijon mustard? President Poupon!

Seriously, all of the conspiracy nutterism back in the early ‘Nineties about how the fall of the Soviet Union was a sham to make NATO drop its defenses and allow Russian influence to seep into Western democracies looks...well, still incredibly paranoid, but in some bizarre way not completely wrong. Even wierder is that many of the folks who so venerated Reagan and is condemnation of the “Evil Empire” are now the ones offering excuses and evasions for not addressing clear Russian interference and influence now. It’s like The Americans and the Coen Brothers had a love child, and that child produced a ficitional narrative in which bumbling neoconservatives set up a conspiracy that was subverted by Russian trolls who just wanted to fuck with an opponent to create a false enemy but found themselves at the controls. I’m coming firmly to the opinion that not only does the conservative wing that has taken over the GOP not have any actual principles that they stand for, but that they don’t even care if they’re pulling the temple down upon their heads as long as they can make some claim to be ‘winning’. And Donnie Boy Trump talks so much about how he’s a winner that like moths to a flame they are drawn to him even despite the lack of objective evidence that he’s ever really won anything more concrete than television ratings.

Stranger
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Apparently so. Also quite possibly the first CIA director who's personally run a system of torture chambers. So, we're making history left and right today.
Mostly right.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been fired.

Will be replaced by Pompeo.
Given the problems he has had with Tillerson, I'm surprised it took him so long to do it.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Ah, I will always remember last summer when my partner and I explained the " Don't tell my Mom--She thinks Im a piano player in a whore house" joke to my then 13 year old.

It was in reference to working for the Trump administration.

He has has to change that analogy for use with his peer group. I think he uses "gum scraper off movie seats, then I re sell it". YEs, that would be a less shameful, and definitely more long-teem career path.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
EX-EXXON TEXAN EXEC REX NEXT EX-SEC

-Benjy Sarlin
Very nice!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Fired over Twitter. Turns out Trump never fires someone face to face.
You know, you dont fire the man who is fifth in line by Twitter. You call him in, ask him to resign, explain why, and hold a joint press conference.

Twitter is no class.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
And? Just because he was hand-picked by Putin is no guarantee that he's lived up to Putin & Trump's expectations. Trump has already fired many whom he himself appointed, and would like to fire more if he could get away with it (*cough*Sessions*cough*).

Last edited by scr4; 03-13-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
This is why the jobs report was so good. Literally half the jobs were filling vacancies in the Trump administration.
Comedy gold.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

We aren't talking about Stormy anymore.

I seriously can't keep up.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

It's so hard to find good people with no integrity!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth astorian:

Yup. And so was the ex-spy who got nerve-poisoned in London. That's how working for Putin works.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

What happens to Trump when his usefulness to Putin starts to become a liability?

Stay away from umbrellas, fella.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Yup. And so was the ex-spy who got nerve-poisoned in London. That's how working for Putin works.
Apparently none of these guys realize what happens to henchmen of Bond villains, i.e. discarded with little thought pour encourager les outres.

Quote:
EX-EXXON TEXAN EXEC REX NEXT EX-SEC

-Benjy Sarlin
Soon to be featured in the CW spin-off series, “Angry Ex-Secretary”.
I was...
Working hard at a Cabinet job
Making deals but it made me blue.
One day I was signing a lot
So I was fired on Twitter.
Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 03-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Granted, I'm not the kind of guy who has held a whole lot of jobs in my lifetime, but I think it's fair to say that I've dabbled in jobs that were no good and jobs that were good... but man, I have never ever worked in any job where the organization is as fucked up at the United States Government is today.

Like, the job I had cleaning pools when I was 19, in which the other employees barely paid attention enough to show up to work, now seems like it was a Jack Welch-style tight ship getting ready for a major IPO on Wall Street compared to our Government today.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
We aren't talking about Stormy anymore.

I seriously can't keep up.
Stormy? I mean, this has eclipsed:
-Roger Stone talked with Wikileaks in 2016 about dirt on Democrats
-Trump fired someone else for security concerns and then brought him back into his 2020 campaign
-ICE spokesman resigns because the administration kept telling him to support administration lies

AND THAT IS TODAY'S NEWS!

Christ on a Crutch.

Oh yeah, a friend of Stormy's says she listened in on phone calls between the porn star and our president. That's also today's news.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
people have also been claiming that Trump fired Tillerson because he wasn't sufficiently pro-Russia, which seems to contrast with earlier claims that he was hired precisely because he was a pro-Russia stooge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
You can probably be soft on Russia AND yet still think that openly murdering people in another country is going a little too far.
Bingo.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
What happens to Trump when his usefulness to Putin starts to become a liability?...
The dirt is released. Please be the pee pee tape!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Among the problems with Tillerson is that everyone knew Trump didn't support him. Tillerson had absolutely no authority, and everyone knew it.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Stormy? I mean, this has eclipsed:
-Roger Stone talked with Wikileaks in 2016 about dirt on Democrats
-Trump fired someone else for security concerns and then brought him back into his 2020 campaign
-ICE spokesman resigns because the administration kept telling him to support administration lies

AND THAT IS TODAY'S NEWS!

Christ on a Crutch.

Oh yeah, a friend of Stormy's says she listened in on phone calls between the porn star and our president. That's also today's news.
Right, job done: Stormy barely in the news due to Trump's Twitter-firing of the Secretary of State.

The problem for Trump is that Stormy will be back in the news, and there are only so many big-deal people Trump can Twitter-fire. I'd guess that McMaster and Mattis are next, and certainly each of those Twitter-firings will dominate the news for a day.

But that's only two days. Stormy is still out there. Waiting patiently to be back at the top of the news.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Among the problems with Tillerson is that everyone knew Trump didn't support him. Tillerson had absolutely no authority, and everyone knew it.
That's a problem that anyone who works for Trump is going to have, especially if they're trying to fill the "adult in the room" role. Bottom line is that Trump is going to trust his brilliant intellect and instincts, and he will disregard any advice that goes against that, no matter how much better informed and more competent that person is. And what's worse is that he's likely to publically communicate this disagreement without prior notice via tweet or random announcement at some press conference.

The best you can hope for if you're a competent person working for Trump is if you're in an area that doesn't attract his attention.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Rex Tillerson— a plutocratic oil magnate with deep ties to Russia, profoundly unqualified to be Secretary of State, who caused severe and possibly irrecoverable damage to the State Department and the international standing of the United States— and yet I'm kind of sorry to see him go.
I've been dealing with terrible cognitive dissonance lately, finding myself on the side of both Tillerson and Sessions. Sometimes you have to embrace the lesser of thirty or forty evils.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Trump is more and more like Twilight Zone kid. Everyone who tells him no is hitting the cornfield. I'm considering becoming a prepper. It can't hurt, right?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

And CNN is reporting the next one to the cornfield will be David Shulkin at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, to be replaced by Rick Perry.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
I've been dealing with terrible cognitive dissonance lately, finding myself on the side of both Tillerson and Sessions. Sometimes you have to embrace the lesser of thirty or forty evils.
That goes all the way back at least to Comey, who should have been fired for what he did to Hillary, before we were pissed that Trump fired him.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Apparently he had enough authority to agree with the UK that poisoning people is bad.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
And CNN is reporting the next one to the cornfield will be David Shulkin at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, to be replaced by Rick Perry.
Does he know what the Dept. of Veterans Affairs does?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Does he know what the Dept. of Veterans Affairs does?
Well, the fact that he is being tapped to lead this Dept. under this administration clearly shows he does not.