Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM

His wiki page says he sells digital advertising. Their most used line is "Want fries with that?"

Also, he's retired from wrestling, because...

Quote:
On November 12, Styles took part in Evolve's Evolve 72 event. Before the main event of the show, Styles made a joke involving Donald Trump and announcer Joanna Rose, stating Trump "would like to grab her by the..." but never said the word. Evolve's booker Gabe Sapolsky immediately apologized for the comment, before announcing that Evolve had terminated Styles. Two days later, Beyond Wrestling and Chikara also announced they were severing ties with Styles. After that incident, Styles retired from pro wrestling.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

So, the WWE World Cup at Crown Jewel is an 8-man tournament - and our entrants so far are John Cena, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, and Randy Orton. Seeing as Randy is the youngest of them at 38, I'm gonna guess the rest are also gonna be old-timers the Saudis are paying out the ass for. Rey Mysterio Jr. and Batista are scheduled to make appearances next week, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're in too.

That leaves two more spots for legends. Whose dusty old corpse is Vince going to drag out to assuage his patron?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM

You know the saudis wanna see hulkamania brother!

What you gonna do when the hulkster goes jihad all over you???

Last edited by Knowed Out; 10-10-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: can't do all caps
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
You know the saudis wanna see hulkamania brother!

What you gonna do when the hulkster goes jihad all over you???
You know...you probably aren't wrong.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Another possibility is SCSA, but the alcohol-adverse Saudis wouldn't want him want him doing the beer fountain.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 AM

My future ex-wife Nikki Cross owns NXT. She stole the show from Ciampa and Dream. I hope she never gets called up, but she deserves main event money.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM

Well I'll be damned.

Reklusa from Lucha Underground was Laurel Van Ness in Impact.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Well I'll be damned.

Hot Mess Van Ness!

Wrestling barefoot and in a wedding dress. That was a sight to behold
Old 10-12-2018, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Crown Jewel is starting to look questionable. They've moved the show from the original 68,000-seat arena to one that only seats 25,000, and on top of that, tickets haven't even gone on sale yet. Then there's the whole problem that the guy who's paying for the show to happen probably put a hit on a Washington Post reporter and all.

WWE is kind of backed into a corner right now, and it's going to be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.

In happier news - NXT UK debuts on Wednesday! It's going to be running in the afternoon here so that it can air in prime time in Britain. I've loved the UK tournaments so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more World of Sport-style wrestling in the future.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Not to give Vince any ideas, but I think it'd be cool to have the NXT UK performers dress like Charles Dickins characters.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Crown Jewel is starting to look questionable. They've moved the show from the original 68,000-seat arena to one that only seats 25,000, and on top of that, tickets haven't even gone on sale yet. Then there's the whole problem that the guy who's paying for the show to happen probably put a hit on a Washington Post reporter and all.

WWE is kind of backed into a corner right now, and it's going to be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The U.S. shouldn't be doing business with Saudi Arabia.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
They can explain the first one away the way they explained a pretty much identical situation for WrestleMania VII (moving it from the L.A. Coliseum to the L.A. Sports Arena, IIRC); "security purposes."

As for the WP reporter, the last time I looked, the Post was left-leaning, and Vince's wife was still working for President Trump.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

There's already bipartisan support in Congress for sanctions against SA. Vince's personal affinity for Trump isn't going to soften the blow of Michael Cole breathlessly spouting Saudi propaganda while this is going on.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 PM

It's weird to see WWE involved in international politics. It was skimming the surface before: Trump is in WWE Hall of Fame, Linda is part of Trump's Cabinet, and she ran for Senate once. Jesse Ventura came back as a referee for a match while he was governor of Minnesota, and now Kane is a mayor.

Saudi Arabia and China have always had huge heat for their oppressive histories, but they are such potentially huge cash cows, so money talks and bullshit walks. It was only a matter of time for WWE to be attracted to this nuclear heatspot. It's all about the angles.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's weird to see WWE involved in international politics.
As someone on the wrestling board I post on said, "Wouldn't it beat all if World War III started because of a WWE house show?"
Old 10-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Looks like Crown Jewel is cancelled, or at least being relocated.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Just got back from Bound for Glory. Pretty good show, BUT (1) we bought floor seats, but got moved to GA in the balcony because the final configuration didn't have enough rows. We would have been row 6, but there were only 4. And (2) Austin Aries is a dick. He sucked a lot of air out of the crowd after the finish.

They definitely needed a bigger venue for the PPV. They'll be doing TV in the same place for the next 2 days, so that probably has a lot to do with the choice of venue.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Just got back from Bound for Glory. Pretty good show, BUT (1) we bought floor seats, but got moved to GA in the balcony because the final configuration didn't have enough rows. We would have been row 6, but there were only 4. And (2) Austin Aries is a dick. He sucked a lot of air out of the crowd after the finish.
Having met Austin Aries this past April, I'd say that he isn't a dick, he's just really good at playing one.

Which I guess means he's good at his job - a good heel makes you really want to hate them, as opposed to hating them because you're being told you hate them.

Last edited by Smapti; 10-15-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I've met Aries too, but he does have a locker room reputation. And what he did wasn't a heel move, it was a dick move. A heel will sell the finish. He popped right up and started giving what appeared to be the announcers shit.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Having met Austin Aries this past April, I'd say that he isn't a dick, he's just really good at playing one.

Which I guess means he's good at his job - a good heel makes you really want to hate them, as opposed to hating them because you're being told you hate them.
Based on reputation and what I've heard, he absolutely most definitely is a dick.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure what happened wasn't a work...but it gets people talking about Impact so, you know, who knows?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Some are insisting it's a work, but if so, that is Vince Russo-level bad booking. Maybe even worse.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM

I'm sure Impact's creative will spin it as a work, and tag it with "You never know what craziness we'll have in the Impact Zone!"

It still smacks of Sid Vicious kicking out of Hulk Hogan's Big Boot of Doom, then leaving the ring to get counted out. He had a crap career after that.

Maybe Austin will try to worm in on RoH as he leaves the Impact bridge in flames.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 AM

At the risk of sounding markish, SD 1K was actually a pretty good show. Some segments got culled/shortened, like Rusev vs Miz and the GMs of SD past. Others were surprises, like CeSeamo winning the tag belts with help from da Big Show. Daniel Bryan seems to have cemented his place as "so over, he can lose and it won't matter" status. I bet Curt Hawkins gets his first win over Daniel.

I was skeptical about Batista potentially returning to WWE, but he killed it during his promo for the Evolution (not to be confused with the women's PPV) segment.

I hope Rey Rey and Nakamura maintain a feud. They worked a terrific match together.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Agreed KO. I'm wondering where they are going with Big Show though. Seems rushed to have him heel The New Day 1 week after jobbing to Orton. Seems Miz is always getting his segments shortened. Did you notice that neither got entrances on TV? Definitely time issues.

Austin Aries was not present for the two days of TV tapings, so he'll be off the show for a while. Read into that what you will. Inside word was that there were significant re-writes because of that. Watching the replay confirmed what I thought - Johnny Impact, who is not a good actor, seemed genuinely surprised, and Kross/Moose seemed legitimately caught off-guard.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 AM

I think Big Show has the record for most turns.

Since ND are good guys forever, they don't use their 3rd member to cheat. It always annoyed me when 2 heels were able to lay out 3 NDs, especially with a hoss like Big E on their side. Now, the Bigs E and Show can have a side feud reminiscent of Show vs Lesnar.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think Big Show has the record for most turns.

Since ND are good guys forever, they don't use their 3rd member to cheat. It always annoyed me when 2 heels were able to lay out 3 NDs, especially with a hoss like Big E on their side. Now, the Bigs E and Show can have a side feud reminiscent of Show vs Lesnar.
As Show's swan song? He's GOT to be getting close to retirement at this point.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Well I'll be damned.

She also just signed a contract with WWE in the performance center.

See them here

Good for Jade/Mia Yim too. She's been the MVP of both Mae Youn Classics (IMO) and deserves to be there.

No idea who any of the other people are though.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM

The guy in the back right is Punishment Martinez from RoH. He's pretty good, kind of an Undertaker lite. He was probably RoH's tallest guy, but the dude (Jordan Omogbehin, soon to be OMGbehin) next to him makes him look small.
The guy on the lower left is Daniel Vidot, Samoan rugby player. He's got similar tattoos to The Rock. Do an image search for him and you'll see he likes to dress up as cyborg warrior types. He's at least got the visual aptitude for wrestling.
The lower right is Matt Riddle, former MMA competitor (because he got kicked out for smoking pot). He's been big on the Indie scene and wrestles barefoot. He could be the next Rob Van Damm.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all that. A facebook group I'm a part of always freaks out when the Indy people come into NXT, but I get just as excited to see them for the first time.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

And now we say goodbye to Dirty Dick Slater, at age 67. He didn't spend much time here in the North East/New York City area, so I mostly saw him on TBS' Georgia Championship Wrestling - and never any big matches. Still, I always knew of him and his feuds.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups
Awesome! Thanks for all that. A facebook group I'm a part of always freaks out when the Indy people come into NXT, but I get just as excited to see them for the first time.
Heh... I bet those same people pull for Cesaro, KO, Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, and AJ Styles, all RoH alumni. Lio Rush vaulted to the top a lot faster than I expected. He used to be a jobber in RoH and didn't do much in the way of promos. Now he's pulling double duty in WWE. Cedric "the Entertainer" Alexander held the CW belt.

Undisputed Era pretty much run NXT, and they're all transplants from RoH. So are the War Raiders, Tommaso Ciampa, Deonna Perazzo, and Nigel McGuinness. The Indies have already taken over!

Last edited by Knowed Out; 10-20-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 AM

wow I remember him ……. 67 normally isn't old these days …..
Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lio Rush vaulted to the top a lot faster than I expected. He used to be a jobber in RoH and didn't do much in the way of promos. Now he's pulling double duty in WWE. Cedric "the Entertainer" Alexander held the CW belt.
Now that you mention it, it occurs to me that I've seen Lio Rush live four times, once for ROH and three times for DEFY, and he lost all of those matches.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 AM

I haven't watched NXT TV in a while so I could be wrong, but I have yet to see Donnovan Dijak (or whatever they're calling him nowadays) win.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM

I've only seen him in one match and he lost to Ricochet. The tall guys aren't making much of a mark.

They had a promo package for Dan Matha a minute ago, then he appeared in a match that Samoa Joe destroyed. He then appeared in the Greatest Royal Rumble Ever for a few eyeblinks, and I haven't seen him since.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Roman Reigns has leukemia and has surrendered the Universal Championship so he can seek treatment.

I did not see that coming.

I don't like the way he got pushed as the greatest thing to happen to wrestling since Hulk Hogan, but I feel bad for him and I hope he beats this.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Yeah that was definitely a record scratch moment. You could just tell the crowd didn't know what to do and couldn't tell what was real or not.

Not that I thought they'd use cancer as a work, but any doubt I had was erased when Rollins came out crying.

Crazy....
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Holy shit. I wanted him to go away but not like this. Best wishes to him.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 PM

Are we sure this isn't a work? I would hope Vince and company wouldn't stoop that low. If it's legit here's wishing Roman the best of luck.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDix View Post
Are we sure this isn't a work? I would hope Vince and company wouldn't stoop that low. If it's legit here's wishing Roman the best of luck.
All the charity work they do for cancer victims, plus basic human decency makes me think itís not a work.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm just going to say it... I hung on till the end of the show to see if it was a work. Then they had Dean turn on Seth after they won the tag titles.

Somehow WWE turned a tragedy into a new dynamic angle. I gotta say this about them, they really come up with gems when their backs are up against the wall.

At least Roman doesn't expect pity. Thank you Roman.

Did you notice they kept plugging Crown Jewel, but didn't mention anything about date or location? I'm thinking they're leaving the option open of doing the special outside Saudi Arabia.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Roman Reigns has leukemia and has surrendered the Universal Championship so he can seek treatment.

I don't like the way he got pushed as the greatest thing to happen to wrestling since Hulk Hogan
Why do I have the feeling that these two statements are not 100% unrelated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDix View Post
Well, he did use his real first name, which is something they usually don't do in a work (Dwayne Johnson and Paul Levesque notwithstanding). Besides, the last time WWE tried the fake retirement bit (with Mark Henry), that didn't go over too well; imagine the negative reaction if they fake a case of leukemia as well.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Anyone who knows wrestling better than I tell me the reason to have a heel turn AFTER winning the tag belts? Was it just to make it more of a surprise?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Anyone who knows wrestling better than I tell me the reason to have a heel turn AFTER winning the tag belts? Was it just to make it more of a surprise?
My guess is that it's something they haven't done before, so they're going down uncharted waters to see what happens.

Also, Dean's unHiNg3d! Never know what he's gonna do! /cliche

I remember a similar angle in Mid South many moons ago. The two tag champs turned on each other, so they had them choose new partners and compete for the belts. That could mean Dean will partner with Dolph while Drew has a mini-feud with Braun, leaving Seth to partner with "honorary" Shield members like Kurt Angle or... Jason Jordan, Dean's replacement while he was on the mend.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Problem with that scenario is that the IC title gets buried even further down than it has. If WWE is going to double-title Seth, he should be wrestling twice a night. I like the angle and the turn, but dammit, do something with all your titles.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did you notice they kept plugging Crown Jewel, but didn't mention anything about date or location? I'm thinking they're leaving the option open of doing the special outside Saudi Arabia.
The Meltz has now confirmed rumors that John Cena is refusing to work the show, and also reports that tickets still haven't gone on sale, which is a pretty bad sign considering that the show is only ten days away now.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Crazy Idea Of The Day: have the surviving members of the winning team in the Raw Survivor Series 5-on-5 match have a match against each other (make it a Fatal 3/4/5-way if necessary) for the belt - and, in true "let's use the shows to promote TV" fashion, have it on Raw the next night. Especially crazy if the heels win.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

They could always split Crown Jewel into pre-existing RAW and SD shows.

Or maybe relocate it to Memphis and have Jerry Lawler host. He can make a corny joke about his jewels.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Anyone here with the WWE Network, you owe it to yourself to watch the main event of the most recent 205 Live, in which Hideo Itami battles Mustafa Ali in a Falls Count Anywhere match, the first time that stipulation has been utilized on 205 Live. These two guys beat the hell out of each other.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 AM

Mustafa Ali has replaced Johnny Gargano as my favorite good guy. The dude takes some absolute sick bumps and gets back up smiling.

This is kind of disturbing. It's Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman's video game avatars dressed up as the IIconics and doing their entrance.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 10-27-2018 at 12:02 AM.