Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Yeah I would never pay for anything above economy class because I hate flying in the first place. Paying more for doing it would make me hate it even more.

I do pay for nice hotels because I like to stay in nice places and the price difference between a cheap hotel and a nice hotel ($50 - $400) is bearable. YMMV
I hate flying, too. On a recent trip, I was miserable the entire three hours in economy. For the return I upgraded, and it was much better. (Plus I didn't know you only get one carry-on in economy.)

If I had to fly across an ocean, damn right I'd upgrade, and I'm really poor. In fact, I hate flying so much I'd take a freighter.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:25 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
From what I remember from economics class, candles basically pay for themselves.
I think you're thinking of insulation.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
From what I remember from economics class, candles basically pay for themselves.
Depends on how much fire insurance you carry.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 AM

There have been people who post here who make high six figures and insist everyone who doesn't is lazy. Then when they lose their jobs and realize they don't have modern skills they wonder why they can't just go out and get another high six figure job based on their obsolete reputations.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
On the off chance this is real:

"As you can see, each year we have a large deficit."

No. They are investing $66,000 a year between the 401k and the monthly Vanguard contribution. I'm not saying that should be their first cut, but you do not have a "large deficit" when just the money you're choosing to sit on could finance an above-average household in Kansas.
That was my first take on this, not so much the expenses that could obviously be cut. This isn't a *really* extreme case where people gross $500k and don't save *anything*. You could probably find such a person though more likely in SF or NY than Kansas.

But right, these people are saving pretty much. Not only the 401k and monthly taxable Vanguard account contribution, but the flip side of the huge mortgage payment is that they will own a $1mil+ house free and clear in less than 10 yrs. Ballpark of $100k/y of the $120k/y mortgage is probably principal reduction and that's also savings, thus ~$166k or ~1/3 of pre tax income. If you inhabit forums like 'Bogleheads' that's not a super high savings rate, but compared to the general population or even population of people making $500k it's pretty high savings.

All they have to do is trim the total of non-mortgage spending categories which total $220k/y by around $33k/y 15% to come out even at that level of savings. And various of those categories are obviously bloated some nearly to the point of implausibility. Although I guess $36k/yr for 'food' must include restaurants which isn't noted separately, and combined with $36k in airline flights, so eating out all over the country/world is not that unbelievably high. As somebody else noted $6k/yr for car insurance but no direct car expense listed also must be wrong, maybe that's total car expense. Anyway spending $220k to live, exclusive of mortgage, is obviously not the most of anyone on the planet. You just have to spend a moderate amount less than that at that income in order to save what they aim to save.

But it's not really such a bizarre case IMO in the big picture.

Last edited by Corry El; 07-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
There have been people who post here who make high six figures and insist everyone who doesn't is lazy. Then when they lose their jobs and realize they don't have modern skills they wonder why they can't just go out and get another high six figure job based on their obsolete reputations.
Ergo, their laziness prevents them from maintaining a six figure salary?