Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM

We have a sidewalk and old bushes. But the two are nowhere near each other. Every house I can see has bushes around the house, a front lawn, then sidewalk. So people near you plant presumably tall, droopy bushes right next to the sidewalk, then they have a front lawn, then more bushes near the house? Sounds cluttered to me. Don't the "sidewalk hedges" block their view of the street?

Half the socializing I do is to sit on the front porch, and nod at the neighbors walking by*. So I'm looking over a window box of flowers, and bushes ("foundation planting"). Then it's a clear view to the sidewalk and street.

*Excuse me, almost 5 here, gotta get my Cointreau and Coke ready for porch sittin'.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Are you referring to the people who solved the perplexing mystery about what a sidewalk is on the side of?
Nope. Not that.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I trimmed my bush just the other day. Anybody want pictures?
Before I answer, are we talking about a picture of your bush or your tool?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM

You city folks and sidewalks. I been to a city, once. Seen a few sidewalks too in my day.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
I thought he called it a "Sidewalk Asshole"?
Here in Washington, he could call it a pothole.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
I doubt anyone is handing out citations for leaves on the lawn a few days after they fall, so how long were the leaves on his lawn? A carpet of soggy, decomposing leaves half way through November isn't exactly what people mean when they say they they want to use their leaves as lawn mulch. They need to be mowed over to chop them up when they are dry so the mulch can work it's way down to the soil.
Indeed, and definitely lazy of me to not elucidate accordingly. (and, btw, is exactly how it's done with said clients) (and also, perhaps, not A3Hunter's approach to it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Don't the "sidewalk hedges" block their view of the street?
I'll wager those folks are going for privacy.

As you're hanging out, I hope you don't go giving any joggers the "it's a sidewalk, asshole!" business.
You must be a hot, smokin' banjo player.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
You must be a hot, smokin' banjo player.
Like, I'd be on my porch playing banjo? Hell, no, I like my neighbors. I'm pouring Cointreau, Monkey Shoulder, and Brandy 'n' Cokes for passersby tonight.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
This one time, I was outside whacking this huge bush— really going to town on it— when out of nowhere, this woman walks up and starts screaming 'bout how my huge tool uses too much gas. And I'm like, naw, baby, mine's electric! Totally true story.
Coulda said, "I got yer tool, right here".
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Like, I'd be on my porch playing banjo? Hell, no, I like my neighbors. I'm pouring Cointreau, Monkey Shoulder, and Brandy 'n' Cokes for passersby tonight.
I want to walk by your house!

We have pretty nice sidewalks here, no encroaching bushes, nice and even. We even have nicely groomed overhanging trees that give shade and attract birds. The birds sing and chirp and cheep and poop without a care in the world. They build nests and raise families that also poop randomly on people and/or dogs walking under them. Some of the birds build their nests in the lower branches, then get upset that people and/or dogs are walking 15 feet under their nests and attack said people and/or dogs.

Some birds have even learned that the target of their rage do not like to be pooped on. You haven't lived until you are try to walk 2 greyhounds and a huge puppy under their nesting area. For some reason, I get much more offended by directed poop than random poop, so the birds have won. We go the long way to the dog park.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
Before I answer, are we talking about a picture of your bush or your tool?
Both are visely clearable.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I saw a poor old lady fall over today on the sidewalk. At least I presume she was poor -- she only had $1.20 in her purse.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
It must be nice to have sidewalks. We don't typically see a lot of them in the West, except in older parts and downtown areas of cities. On my neighborhood street? Fuggetaboutit.
this is us .. unless it's around main streets downtown or shopping areas hospitals or schools we dont have any of them high falootin sidewalks

Funny thing is we have about 5-10 feet of city property in front of every neighborhood thats marked for sidewalks but we've been waiting for 60 years for them .......

every damn time they say we're gonna get them something else comes up and ya dont hear about it again for 5 years
Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I experienced the annoyingness of this yesterday when I was scootering around. The street was scary so I decided to go on the sidewalk for a couple of blocks. My punishment for breaking the law was dealing with bushes spilling over onto the sidewalk and forcing me onto the grass. My scooter doesn't do grass very well so my ride wasn't as fun as it could have been.

I know mine is a very trivial inconvenience, but it did remind me how hard folks in wheelchairs and mobility scooters have it when side walks are blocked or messed up.
Which is why you have grounds for an ADA lawsuit against whomever is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk access.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
There quite a few wise-asses posting in this thread. Just saying.
If you have bushes on your ass, you are doing it wrong.

Just saying.