Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Fox News correspondent says Syrians will welcome the US as liberators.

Because, you know, their neighbors were so fond of us when we "liberated" them.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Wow, I posted in another thread a link about how angry Alex Jones was about the bombing. If Faux and Alex Jones are at odds with their instructions to the Trump supporters, how are right wingers going to know what to pretend to believe anymore?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Wow, I posted in another thread a link about how angry Alex Jones was about the bombing. If Faux and Alex Jones are at odds with their instructions to the Trump supporters, how are right wingers going to know what to pretend to believe anymore?
I'm FB friends with a guy who's fairly prominent in what he refers to as the "new right", which is basically the alt right without the racism (which I believe is true, at least for him). Anyhow, one of his absolute prime arguments for why he voted for Trump over Clinton was that she was going to get us involved in Syria and he wasn't.

He is VERY disappointed in Trump, and is now claiming to favor Ted Cruz in 2020.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I'm FB friends with a guy who's fairly prominent in what he refers to as the "new right", which is basically the alt right without the racism (which I believe is true, at least for him). Anyhow, one of his absolute prime arguments for why he voted for Trump over Clinton was that she was going to get us involved in Syria and he wasn't.

He is VERY disappointed in Trump, and is now claiming to favor Ted Cruz in 2020.
I seem to remember Cruz wanting to carpet bomb the Middle East and seeing if the sand will glow.
[sarcasm] Good choice. [/sarcasm]
Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:

know
I know this isn't policy, but he favors Raphael Cruz, the man who mocks his current opponent for going by a nick-name?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure Ted Cruz has an abundance of nicknames, most of which he hasn't heard.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM

I was looking at a page on some blog called MaxRepubliopath or something like that – the writer spoke of Beto O'Rourke as “goofy looking”. Because, I guess, Raphael is so normal looking. Sheesh.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I was looking at a page on some blog called MaxRepubliopath or something like that – the writer spoke of Beto O'Rourke as “goofy looking”. Because, I guess, Raphael is so normal looking. Sheesh.
And what? Beto's mama dresses him funny? These people make kindergartners look mature.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I'm sure Ted Cruz has an abundance of nicknames, most of which he hasn't heard.
The most commonly used one is "Ted".
Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
And what? Beto's mama dresses him funny? These people make kindergartners look mature.
I had to do an image search to see what Beto looks like. Put his face next to Cruz's face and tell me which one looks “goofy”. I mean, yes, I am biased, and Beto's smile can look a bit caricaturible, but that sad clown Cruz face to me looks like it could be improved by being shoved into a couple of chollas, a porcupine and up a CFSG's hindquarter.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Sunday school I went to, they talked about how we weren't supposed to act like the Ferrissees
And take a day off?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had to do an image search to see what Beto looks like. Put his face next to Cruz's face and tell me which one looks “goofy”. I mean, yes, I am biased, and Beto's smile can look a bit caricaturible, but that sad clown Cruz face to me looks like it could be improved by being shoved into a couple of chollas, a porcupine and up a CFSG's hindquarter.
Cruz's face has been a joke on the Internet for years now. In addition to the running joke that he's the Zodiac Killer, and the usual jokes that he's a reptilian, there's a pretty well-done running joke that he's identical to Kevin from The Office, like this face-swap and plenty others.

So he has a bit more reason than the Average Republican Candidate to not try to make a campaign issue out of "the other guy's funny-looking", which means him doing just that is precisely the kind of idiotic unforced error I expect out of Republicans.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Cruz's face has been a joke on the Internet for years now. In addition to the running joke that he's the Zodiac Killer, and the usual jokes that he's a reptilian, there's a pretty well-done running joke that he's identical to Kevin from The Office, like this face-swap and plenty others.
I, for one, remain far more convinced by the rumors that Cruz was actually the lead singer of Stryper.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Your (Quora) Digest
These raids on offices and homes by the FBI seem like a police state type of action. Are all Trump supporters next? Do they need to confiscate our computers to see why we voted for Trump?

D. Gene Wilson, In the middle with yellow lines 'n dead armadillos
These raids on offices and homes by the FBI seem like a police state type of action. Are all Gambino family members next? Do they need to confiscate our computers to see that we're all just honest businessmen?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
These raids on offices and homes by the FBI seem like a police state type of action. Are all Gambino family members next? Do they need to confiscate our computers to see that we're all just honest businessmen?
Criminals get raided by law enforcement with regularity. It's kind of what they do.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I didn't remember much about Beto O'Rourke's looks. Something like fair-complected with floppy hair?

Image search indicates to me that he's pretty cute. Looks kind of like a mix between Zephyr Teachout and a Kennedy, for what that's worth.

Unlike Cruz, O'Rourke has a noticeably large, expressive mouth. I'd thought a "broad smile" meant broad from end to end, but maybe it means from lip to lip, in which case Beto has one.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 04-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Kentucky's governor is backtracking on his "kids left home alone are gonna do drugs and get sexually assaulted" comments
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/polit...est/index.html
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I'm FB friends with a guy who's fairly prominent in what he refers to as the "new right", which is basically the alt right without the racism
So just the misogyny then ?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
So just the misogyny then ?
Now, now, don't forget distain for the poor - that's a big part too.
Oh, and the plan to rape the rest of the world for personal gain and power.
And warmongering, there's the warmongering...
I know I'm forgetting something...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I know I'm forgetting something...
The unrelenting, shortsighted, suffocating stupid that they wear like a badge of pride.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The unrelenting, shortsighted, suffocating stupid that they wear like a badge of pride.
And an almost fanatical devotion to Trump, and a purity-focused view of Christianity... Oh, damn!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM

and a purity-focused view of Christianity...

"and a profit-focused view of Christianity..." FIFY
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And an almost fanatical devotion to Trump, and a purity-focused view of Christianity... Oh, damn!
^^^Poke her--with the Soft Cheetos!!^^^
Old 04-16-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
In the case of this one guy (who I swear is a very intelligent and well-informed person), perhaps his most defining characteristic is a comically exaggerated fear of antifa and the PC police. It's like, he sees handfuls of well-publicized-by-the-right events on college campuses (some of them legitimately troublesome) and thinks "well, that's what the entire US would be like right now if Hillary had been elected" or something. Bizarre.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Can we put in a little plug in for Hannity and his "the lady doth protest too much" carefully worded tweets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannity
Michael Cohen has never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received an invoice, or paid legal fees. I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective.

I assumed those conversations were confidential, but to be absolutely clear they never involved any matter between me and a third-party.

In response to some wild speculation, let me make clear that I did not ask Michael Cohen to bring this proceeding on my behalf, I have no personal interest in this proceeding, and, in fact, asked that my de minimis discussions with Michael Cohen,

which dealt almost exclusively about real estate, not be made a part of this proceeding.
Which indicates :
A) In spite of what he has been saying on his show, he knows that Cohen is a giant sleazeball who is going down and going to drag down anyone associated with him, and
B) He probably knows what a sleazeball Cohen is because of some shady real estate scam Cohen set up for him, which like our pres he is going to deny all knowledge of.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Not really a SRIOTD, but features Sean Hannity, so I thought I would this here.

The gaping hole in Sean Hannity’s story about being Michael Cohen’s client

Now, I think that Hannity is a stain on our nation, but my first thought was 'why am I hearing about who his lawyer is???' If he doesn't want anyone to know....... Why should anyone be hearing about Cohen's client list? I mean, unless he is appearing on his client's behalf in court, or making statements on his behalf, wouldn't privilege apply?

edit: Guess I took to long to post it....

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 04-17-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 AM

I love Hannity's line from the article:

Quote:
“I might have handed him 10 bucks [and said,] 'I definitely want your attorney-client privilege on this,' ”
Isn't paying an attorney for his advice, and expecting those discussion to be priviledged pretty much the definition of being his client?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Babe View Post
Quote:
“I might have handed him 10 bucks [and said,] 'I definitely want your attorney-client privilege on this,' ”
Isn't paying an attorney for his advice, and expecting those discussion to be priviledged pretty much the definition of being his client?
It figures Hannity would be stupid enough to think it works like that. In reality, discussions within the scope of legal representation are privileged even if the attorney is working pro bono or doing a personal favor, and discussions outside that scope are not privileged no matter how much money changes hands.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:

The better question is "what kind of competent attorney would only charge $10?"
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:

It feels like Hannity thinks Cohen has the option to hand over a privilege. "For this $10, I would like one (1) privilege, please!"
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
One that's only worth $5.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's using the form to achieve the result. I was given a horse once, and drew up a contract of "sale" from the previous owner to me "for one dollar in hand and other valuable consideration" (and handed him the dollar, much to his amusement) so as to formalize the transfer of ownership.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Alex Jones gets a chance to explain his theories about how the Sandy Hook shootings were faked in court.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 04-17-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
We know what kind of attorney he is, we're haggling over the price, now.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Ajit fucking Pai
Elizabeth Pierce is accused of "forg[ing] guaranteed revenue contracts to fraudulently induce investors to invest more than $250 million in a fiber optic cable network in Alaska," …
put this woman in charge of the Broadband Development Advisory Committee.
To realize her plan to build a fiber optic system that would service Alaska and connect it to the lower 48 states, Elizabeth Ann Pierce allegedly convinced two investment companies that she had secured signed contracts that would supposedly generate hundreds of millions of dollars in guaranteed future revenue from the system. As it turned out, those sales agreements were worthless because the customers had not signed them. Instead, as alleged, Pierce had forged counter-party signatures on contract after contract.
Naturally, Pai was impressed,
She did an excellent job leading the BDAC through its first two public meetings. I am sorry to see her go and wish her all the best in her future endeavors.
Future endeavors which will probably involve doing the stripey laundry.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Another Republican Congressman is resigning. Charlie Dent of PA.
The weird part is that he's resigning before the November election, meaning that the election to replace him will occur in the gerrymandered 15th District, whereas the November election for his seat will be in the non-gerrymandered 7th District.
https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...g-coming-weeks
Old 04-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
If he's smart, he'll just say he's a performance artist playing a fictional character, like his lawyers did during his divorce. But he's a narcissistic asshole, and not a very smart one, so he'll probably fuck that up... like he did during his divorce:
Quote:
A “deep need for admiration” could explain why Jones has spent the week undermining his lawyers' best efforts to convince a jury that he is not as wacky in real life as he appears on his syndicated radio show.

“He's playing a character,” attorney Randall Wilhite said at a pretrial hearing. “He is a performance artist.”

In court on Tuesday, another attorney, David Minton, described Jones's work as “satire” and “sarcasm.”

The “performance artist” argument seems like a smart one, since outbursts like this probably don't help the good dad image. But the idea that Jones is just “playing a character” could cost him the admiration of an audience that thinks he is the real deal.

That is a price Jones seems unwilling to pay, so he is basically arguing against his own legal team.

After news outlets picked up on Wilhite's remarks, Jones filmed a video on his way to court Monday, in which he said this: “They’ve got articles out today that I say I’m a fake, all of this other crap. Total bull! ... I 110 percent believe what I stand for. We’re changing the world with you.”

In another video, posted Tuesday, Jones said his show is “the most bona fide, hard-core, real McCoy thing there is, and everybody knows it.”
It doesn't look good for Alex Jones: In the best case for him, the court rules the plaintiffs are public figures, which means their claim has to pass the Sullivan test, which means they have to show actual malice on Alex's part, which is tough, but it's a bar they seem to have a good shot at clearing:
Quote:
Malice may be proved through any competent evidence, either direct or circumstantial. All of the relevant circumstances surrounding the transaction may be shown, provided they are not too remote, including threats, other defamatory statements, subsequent statements made by the defendant, any circumstances that indicate the existence of rivalry, ill will, or hostility between the parties, and facts that tend to show a reckless disregard of the plaintiff's rights on the part of the defendant.[7]
Bolding mine. I think that's where Alex is in trouble: He said some serious shit, and he knows (or ought to have known) that his audience takes it very seriously indeed, up to the point of harassment campaigns and death threats, which would definitely infringe on the rights of the defendants to, like, live and not have their homes vandalized.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Michigan Republicans tried to pass a law to mark legal immigrants' drivers licenses with a yellow star. You know, like the one the Nazis used to identify Jews?
https://www.freep.com/story/news/201...nts/503450002/
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
We know what kind of attorney he is, we're haggling over the price, now.
This is today's thread winner - though it's early.

Bravo, bravo, bravo <insert scene from The Fifth Element>

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/678f274...0-edc380af2599
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Despite only supplying the set-up for that punchline, I'm honored. I've always thought that being the straight man is the harder job, as compared to the actual joke.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Michigan Republicans tried to pass a law to mark legal immigrants' drivers licenses with a yellow star. You know, like the one the Nazis used to identify Jews?
https://www.freep.com/story/news/201...nts/503450002/
Do't be silly. That's a pentacle, not a magen david, and it's handy to remind us that all immigrants are Satanists.

Quote:
Despite only supplying the set-up for that punchline, I'm honored. I've always thought that being the straight man is the harder job, as compared to the actual joke.
That's why Abbott got paid more than Costello, IIRC.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) told Anderson Cooper last night he has never heard Donald Trump tell a lie.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

See, even people afflicted with deafness can still be elected to Congress. Isn't America wonderful!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 PM

I wonder what combination of drugs, insanity, torture and psychoses causes this sort of outcome. He should be preserved and studied by science.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM

I'm guessing that a lot of these politicians are falling for the "loyalty" bullshit. They may feel that if they remain loyal, they'll be part of his morning news clippings and getting some benefits. (Won't be financial, of course.)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I was surprised I got to it first. As straight lines go, that was like a hanging curve ball.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Another Republican Congressman is resigning. Charlie Dent of PA.
The weird part is that he's resigning before the November election, meaning that the election to replace him will occur in the gerrymandered 15th District, whereas the November election for his seat will be in the non-gerrymandered 7th District.
https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...g-coming-weeks
That is peculiar, because he wasn't going to run for re-election this time around. I wonder if he just got sick of what's happening in Congress? I always considered him to be a party-liner, but he never seemed to be hard right.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
That is peculiar, because he wasn't going to run for re-election this time around. I wonder if he just got sick of what's happening in Congress? I always considered him to be a party-liner, but he never seemed to be hard right.
There are a couple of other possibilities, including:

1) A serious medical condition (in himself or a close family member)
2) A scandal about to emerge (or for which he's being blackmailed) that he nullifies by stepping down
3) An amazing, immediate job offer that can't wait until he finishes his term

Hard to say but it will probably be revealed in due course.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Although it'll be a revamped and renumbered district, resigning now would give his replacement some potential incumbent bump for name recognition (assuming one wants to be recognized as a Republican in the revamped district).
Old 04-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Tennessee Legislators Vote to Strike Funding for Memphis’ Bicentennial Celebration as Punishment for Removing Confederate Statues