Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #37401  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:16 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,589
Yeah, that's just a bit vindictive. However, in that story was this: "After being denied permission to remove the statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, the city sold the parks to a nonprofit, which then took the statues down"

I think that's awesome
  #37402  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, that's just a bit vindictive. However, in that story was this: "After being denied permission to remove the statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, the city sold the parks to a nonprofit, which then took the statues down"

I think that's awesome
They really are some hateful fucks, aren't they?
  #37403  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM
SaneBill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I think that's awesome
Too bad they didn't buy them back the next day with the same price. Now THAT would've been really middle-fingerish.
  #37404  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:50 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
Too bad they didn't buy them back the next day with the same price. Now THAT would've been really middle-fingerish.
LOL, that would have been great.
  #37405  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:57 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Michigan Republicans tried to pass a law to mark legal immigrants' drivers licenses with a yellow star. You know, like the one the Nazis used to identify Jews?
https://www.freep.com/story/news/201...nts/503450002/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Do't be silly. That's a pentacle, not a magen david, and it's handy to remind us that all immigrants are Satanists.
Well, it's moot now, but 10-to-1 the first run of those licenses would have "inadvertently" rotated the emblem 180o...
  #37406  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:05 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,373
Kinda makes me want to find out if there's a GoFundMe page to raise the extra $250K...
  #37407  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:08 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, that's just a bit vindictive. However, in that story was this: "After being denied permission to remove the statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, the city sold the parks to a nonprofit, which then took the statues down"

I think that's awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
Too bad they didn't buy them back the next day with the same price. Now THAT would've been really middle-fingerish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
LOL, that would have been great.
Would have been greater if they had bought the parks back at the selling price minus the cost of statue removal.
  #37408  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,589
Would have been greater if they had bought the parks back with the statues replaced with statues honoring African American heroes of the Civil War.
  #37409  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,443
Would have been greatest if the nonprofit bought the parks and then seceded.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #37410  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:39 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Would have been greatest if the nonprofit bought the parks and then seceded.
'Cause then we could get the statues of Sherman and Grant to invade them.
  #37411  
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
If he's smart, he'll just say he's a performance artist playing a fictional character, like his lawyers did during his divorce.
Actually I think in this case the opposite is true. In his divorce case he had to show that he wasn't really a psychotic nutball who would be a danger to his child. He knew the things he was saying were false, he is entirely sane and stable and just puts on an act for the ratings.

However in this case, knowingly lying would indicate that he consciously decided to defame the families even though he knew it wasn't true. So any damage they suffered was due to willful negligence or malice on his part. To defend himself he is going to have to claim that he wholeheartedly believed what he said, it just turns out that reality appears support the notion that he was mistaken.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
  #37412  
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,564
I wonder if they can enter the sworn testimony from the previous case into this one.
  #37413  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
The New York Fraternal Order of Police has withdrawn its endorsement for a Republican candidate for the state Senate after a fundraiser for her attacked David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez.
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...t-of-gop-state
  #37414  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
Chuck Grassley is going to go ahead and introduce a bill to protect Mueller from firing, despite Tortoise's announcement that he will not allow it to come to a vote.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ell-opposition
  #37415  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
Kris Kobach held in contempt for violating a judge's ruling to allow people to vote while a lawsuit against him for violating their voting rights was litigated.
http://time.com/5245827/judge-holds-...h-in-contempt/

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 04-18-2018 at 07:38 PM.
  #37416  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
Republican Governor Eric Greitens of Missouri has asked for a restraining order against Republican Attorney General Josh Hawley.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...209275544.html
  #37417  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,784
A restraining order against law enforcement... Now there's a new one. Just whom did he ask for this thing?
  #37418  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Kris Kobach held in contempt for violating a judge's ruling to allow people to vote while a lawsuit against him for violating their voting rights was litigated.
http://time.com/5245827/judge-holds-...h-in-contempt/
He's bravely standing up against the activist judges of the Deep State.
  #37419  
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
McConnell wants to keep the Senate at work longer to keep Democrats from going out to campaign.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...om-campaigning
  #37420  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
McConnell wants to keep the Senate at work longer to keep Democrats from going out to campaign.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...om-campaigning
What's he doing in that photo? Is that what Republicans look like when they smile? It looks like he's about to inflate some body part humans don't have in an attempt to frighten predators or attract a mate or something. He's as handsome as he is noble, the fuck.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #37421  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Frankenstein Monster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Kinda makes me want to find out if there's a GoFundMe page to raise the extra $250K...
Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but google: "Memphis Budget Replenishment"

(It seems not to be a scam...)
  #37422  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
This whole story is hilarious. Right wing nutjob Debbie Schlussel accused Sean Hannity of sexual harassment. Wonkette reported it. A story came out claiming that Schlussel walked back her claim, and Wonkette reported that. Now Schlussel has come after their walkback, claiming she never retracted her claims. And Wonkette is gleefully reporting their walkback of the walkback.
https://wonkette.com/632821/a-wonket...ning-right-now
  #37423  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
A school in Bay City, Michigan has had to close its doors after a caravan of Confederate flag-waving trucks circled the school and shouted racist comments at the black students.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/19...atherings.html
  #37424  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:20 PM
jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 37,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A school in Bay City, Michigan has had to close its doors after a caravan of Confederate flag-waving trucks circled the school and shouted racist comments at the black students.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/19...atherings.html
Well, THAT certainly isn't reminiscent of certain public demonstrations in central Europe in the early 20th Century, is it?
  #37425  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:31 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A school in Bay City, Michigan has had to close its doors after a caravan of Confederate flag-waving trucks circled the school and shouted racist comments at the black students.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/19...atherings.html
Interesting other headline on that page.

Quote:
Jim’s Rodeo Tavern in Fort Worth was displaying the controversial sign, which read “Shut up N-----“
Quote:
"It was kind of a joke," Emerson said. "It was never indicative of anything racial."
Right.
  #37426  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A school in Bay City, Michigan has had to close its doors after a caravan of Confederate flag-waving trucks circled the school and shouted racist comments at the black students.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/19...atherings.html
Those are probably Democrats. After all, they're the real racists amirite?
  #37427  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 PM
elucidator is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,204
Shit, no use postponing, its sane or sober, and its time to choose. What are you guys gonna do?
  #37428  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 PM
elucidator is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,204
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...hool/33978061/

Says it all started because some kid parked his truck at the school, and his Confederate flag disappeared. Wherein appears this modern nugget:

Quote:
....Myers’ grandmother, Lynn Boyce, said everything has been “blown out of proportion.”

“These boys are rednecks,” Boyce said of Cameron and his friends. “The Confederate flag does not mean anything racist to them. We’re not racists.”...
Well, bless her heart!

Last edited by elucidator; 04-19-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: D'oh! A dear, a female dear....
  #37429  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Shit, no use postponing, its sane or sober, and its time to choose. What are you guys gonna do?
"Brothers and sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are going to be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution! You must choose brothers, you must choose! It takes five seconds! Five seconds of decision; five seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet! It takes five seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it! Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know, are you ready to testify? Are you ready?"
  #37430  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...hool/33978061/

Says it all started because some kid parked his truck at the school, and his Confederate flag disappeared. Wherein appears this modern nugget:


Well, bless her heart!
I saw another report that said that that kid thought the Confederate flag had been around since the beginning of the country.
  #37431  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Really Not All That Bright is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
To be fair, if you look at the picture of the bar in the linked article, you would probably be surprised that they only had one n-word sign.
  #37432  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
"Brothers and sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are going to be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution! You must choose brothers, you must choose! It takes five seconds! Five seconds of decision; five seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet! It takes five seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it! Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know, are you ready to testify? Are you ready?"
Animal House, right?
__________________
Uke
  #37433  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:29 PM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,850
Chris Christie spends $85,000 of tax money for his official portrait.

Quote:
The former New Jersey Republican governor is commemorating his eight years in office, which ended in January, with a painting of himself by Australian artist Paul Newton. He signed an $85,000 contract for the work the month before his term ended.

The price is more than the state’s three previous governors paid for their portraits combined, reports The Record, which revealed the extravagant expenditure on Thursday.
To be fair, his portrait may require more paint than the three previous governors combined.
  #37434  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Really Not All That Bright is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
To be fair, his portrait may require more paint than the three previous governors combined.
  #37435  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:01 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Chris Christie spends $85,000 of tax money for his official portrait.



To be fair, his portrait may require more paint than the three previous governors combined.
Would you be willing to immortalize his likeness onto canvass for any less?

I wanted to suggest they use his "beach pose", but it seems the twitterverse ninja'd that idea.
  #37436  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,698
More Paint.
How much more?

All of it!
  #37437  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
Good news everybody! The Republicans are being stupid again!

Quote:
The Trump administration will shift federal funding aimed at reducing teen pregnancy rates to programs that teach abstinence.
Do you think the right-wing Christian forced-birth advocates will understand that the inevitable rash of abortions and unwanted poverty-stricken children and rashes is their fault? I don't, because that would require acknowledging facts and employing reason.

Fucking throwbacks.
  #37438  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Do you think the right-wing Christian forced-birth advocates will understand that the inevitable rash of abortions and unwanted poverty-stricken children and rashes is their fault? I don't, because that would require acknowledging facts and employing reason.
They'll grow up to be poor and uneducated, and thus vote Republican. It's a win-win!
  #37439  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 PM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
And they'll have someone to put to work in the fields again in a few years. I bet toddlers would work for less than immigrants. Don't have to feed 'em as much either.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #37440  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:35 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,698
I think there might be a loophole (language warning)
  #37441  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:59 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Good news everybody! The Republicans are being stupid again!



Do you think the right-wing Christian forced-birth advocates will understand that the inevitable rash of abortions and unwanted poverty-stricken children and rashes is their fault? I don't, because that would require acknowledging facts and employing reason.

Fucking throwbacks.
Kids are waiting longer to have sex now:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-tee...ng-after-pill/

This obviously doesn't mean that abstinence education is superior, or that it even works, but it does show that it's not crazy to think that maybe teens can be convinced not to have sex.
  #37442  
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
I didn't say crazy, I said stupid. Do you think having sex a bit later will endow kids with any sort of knowledge about STD's and all the other things they would learn from a real sex ed class like the one the GOP are kiboshing because sex is icky? Kids won't just be getting a bad education because of right-wing idiots, they won't be getting a good one.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #37443  
Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Good news everybody! The Republicans are being stupid again!



Do you think the right-wing Christian forced-birth advocates will understand that the inevitable rash of abortions and unwanted poverty-stricken children and rashes is their fault? I don't, because that would require acknowledging facts and employing reason.

Fucking throwbacks.
All while the asshole in 'charge' chases porn stars, Playboy models and married a woman that has done soft core porn and is nothing but a gold digger. I guess the hypocrisy is no longer worth noting.

But I'm gonna bring it up. Again.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #37444  
Old 04-21-2018, 12:10 AM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
It's like a layer of stupid followed by a layer of hypocrisy followed by another layer of stupid, served on the Kaiser roll of ignorance. Serves 325 million.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #37445  
Old 04-21-2018, 04:44 AM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
I didn't say crazy, I said stupid. Do you think having sex a bit later will endow kids with any sort of knowledge about STD's and all the other things they would learn from a real sex ed class like the one the GOP are kiboshing because sex is icky? Kids won't just be getting a bad education because of right-wing idiots, they won't be getting a good one.
They teach about STDs and pregnancy in abstinence only classes. How do you think they scare kids to abstain? By telling them that the only way to be sure of avoiding pregnancy or disease is to abstain.

In practice, I'm not even sure what the difference is between abstinence education and regular sex ed, other than the advocacy that abstinence education involves.
  #37446  
Old 04-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Budget Player Cadet is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
They teach about STDs and pregnancy in abstinence only classes. How do you think they scare kids to abstain? By telling them that the only way to be sure of avoiding pregnancy or disease is to abstain.

In practice, I'm not even sure what the difference is between abstinence education and regular sex ed, other than the advocacy that abstinence education involves.
It tends to leave out things like condoms, the pill, how to have safe sex, etc. Standard sex ed typically also emphasizes that the kids receiving the information probably aren't ready to have sex yet, and that they should wait. But they add the extra hints, "But if you can't do that, here's what you should do to ensure that you're safe while having sex". Which happens to be a pretty important set of information, because that's a really big if. Most teenagers don't want to be abstinent, and and teenagers are famously bad at risk assessment and delayed gratification. And we know this - when we compare things like STDs and teen pregnancy in places with abstinence-only education, and places with comprehensive sex ed, the results are not promising for abstinence-only. That kids are waiting longer to have sex doesn't do much to dispute those results.
  #37447  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:25 AM
galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
It tends to leave out things like condoms, the pill, how to have safe sex, etc. Standard sex ed typically also emphasizes that the kids receiving the information probably aren't ready to have sex yet, and that they should wait. But they add the extra hints, "But if you can't do that, here's what you should do to ensure that you're safe while having sex". Which happens to be a pretty important set of information, because that's a really big if. Most teenagers don't want to be abstinent, and and teenagers are famously bad at risk assessment and delayed gratification. And we know this - when we compare things like STDs and teen pregnancy in places with abstinence-only education, and places with comprehensive sex ed, the results are not promising for abstinence-only. That kids are waiting longer to have sex doesn't do much to dispute those results.
Hell, that info is really useful for later life, as well. After all, school is for teaching life skills, or should be - not just teaching towards a standardized test.
  #37448  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:50 AM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
It tends to leave out things like condoms, the pill, how to have safe sex, etc. Standard sex ed typically also emphasizes that the kids receiving the information probably aren't ready to have sex yet, and that they should wait. But they add the extra hints, "But if you can't do that, here's what you should do to ensure that you're safe while having sex". Which happens to be a pretty important set of information, because that's a really big if. Most teenagers don't want to be abstinent, and and teenagers are famously bad at risk assessment and delayed gratification. And we know this - when we compare things like STDs and teen pregnancy in places with abstinence-only education, and places with comprehensive sex ed, the results are not promising for abstinence-only. That kids are waiting longer to have sex doesn't do much to dispute those results.
Plus kids having less sex is probably due to the same factor that's causing kids to smoke and drink less: kids are spending more time in childhood. Parents nowadays don't let kids spend any time unsupervised before like 15 years old. Adulthood among the current generation doesn't really start until 30 or so.
  #37449  
Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 AM
The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
They teach about STDs and pregnancy in abstinence only classes. How do you think they scare kids to abstain? By telling them that the only way to be sure of avoiding pregnancy or disease is to abstain.
That's not teaching, that's warning.

Quote:
In practice, I'm not even sure what the difference is between abstinence education and regular sex ed, other than the advocacy that abstinence education involves.
Regular sex ed is effective; that's the difference.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #37450  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:00 AM
galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Plus kids having less sex is probably due to the same factor that's causing kids to smoke and drink less: kids are spending more time in childhood. Parents nowadays don't let kids spend any time unsupervised before like 15 years old. Adulthood among the current generation doesn't really start until 30 or so.
I really doubt that's so. "Kids today" have been looked down on for generations, but I think that it's always been unfair, and probably even more so today.
Even in the last ten years, the 'world' of kids today is so much broader than the little bubble that was available to me, in the late '60s and early '70s. Schools teach more, looking at the curricula - higher levels of math than was available to me, for example.
I suspect kids today are engaging in a lesser level of risky behavior is a reflection of that - they do, in fact, know better, than we did when we were their age. They still do stupid things, of course, but a little more carefully.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017