Old 10-29-2019, 02:25 PM

That's just sad now, Kanye West.

In a recent appearance on The Late Show with James Corden, Kanye West said he received a 68 Million tax refund:

Quote:
"People say, 'Oh don't talk about these numbers,'" he continued. "No, people need to hear that someone that had been put into debt by the system talk about these kind of numbers now that they're in service to Christ."
Seriously, the guy is mentally ill, as has been shown again and again. Is it fair to have him on just to have him continue to embarrass himself publicly?

(This is not a knock on James Corden, nor am I a fan of KW. Just a general observation.)

Last edited by QuickSilver; 10-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

He may be in service to Jesus Christ, but from over here it looks like he's in service to Trump and the rest of the GOP, and has for a while now.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM

On the bright side at least he has one hell of an accountant working for him.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Really, Kanye, serve Christ and donate a chunk to *me. I promise I'll blow it responsibly.

*check out the Dope and drop me a PM. I'll get back to you.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 PM

It's been known for a long time (thanks to South Park) that Kanye West is a gay fish.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Yeah, he bought a big ranch near where I used to live and recently purchased a huge lot, where he's putting up an ugly "temporary" building. Apparently he's planning to open a shoe or clothing factory. The locals are in a tizzy. Since he's famous AND a Trump supporter, they're about to canonize him.

The local paper said his Adidas Yeezy line is expected to hit $1.5 billion in sales by year's end. I don't think taxes will put him in debt anytime soon.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It's been known for a long time (thanks to South Park) that Kanye West is a gay fish.
Dafuk? Why you sayin' Kanye a fish?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:44 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Moved to CS.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM

As a Christian, all I can say is ugh.

You should not be a follower of Jesus to get big tax returns. That is something straight out of the playbook of television prosperity teachers.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I saw him on Letterman's Netflix show.

I was surprised by how even keeled he was.

I guess he's off his meds again.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Dafuk? Why you sayin' Kanye a fish?
Yeah! Just because he likes fish sticks??
Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM

And his wife ain't no Hobbit, neither.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Is he still a MAGAloon? I thought it was an off-his-meds fuckshow.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I don't think he has any opinion about Trump at all. He's a pure troll. He says that he supports Trump, because that's what will get him the most attention. Just like everything else he does.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

My evangelical relatives think Kanye has truly found Jesus, and are thrilled that such a big celebrity is brave enough to go public about his faith.

:|
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM

I think he has found Jesus. I also think he needs his meds. Every day, and not starting and stopping, which he appears to have a history of doing.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 PM

I'll just leave this here:

Kanye West Becomes Christian, Immediately Begins Making Mediocre Music
Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I don't often find babylonbee all that funny, but that is great. One truth that seems to be universal is that modern Christian music is consistently mediocre.

Oh, sure, someone comes along and makes a good or even great Christian album, but so many successful Christian artists never would have made it if they hadn't found that specific market to reach out to.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

There's plenty of good Christian music. It just isn't made by people who call themselves "Christian musicians". If you're a good rock singer who's Christian, you call yourself a rock singer. If you're a good rapper who's Christian, you call yourself a rapper. If you're a mediocre musician (of any sort) who's Christian, then you call yourself a Christian musician, and sell to people who don't care about quality as long as it's Christian.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I think he's found religion, in the same way that L Ron Hubbard and Joel Orstein did.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 PM

I found his appearance on Corden utterly charming. Why is getting a big tax refund embarrassing?

He still has a grandiosity characteristic of his mental state, but he seems to have things under control.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

It's not getting the big tax refund; it's thinking that the big tax refund is because he's found Prosperity Jesus.

Though, really, getting a refund that big means that you did a really terrible job of accounting (or more likely in this case, that you did a really terrible job of hiring someone else to do your accounting for you). Which is also embarrassing.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
My evangelical relatives think Kanye has truly found Jesus, and are thrilled that such a big celebrity is brave enough to go public about his faith.

Jesus : "Morons. I've got morons on my team".
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It's not getting the big tax refund; it's thinking that the big tax refund is because he's found Prosperity Jesus.

Though, really, getting a refund that big means that you did a really terrible job of accounting (or more likely in this case, that you did a really terrible job of hiring someone else to do your accounting for you). Which is also embarrassing.
It is probably his fashion company getting a refund because they applied previous year's losses to the current year's profits.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
It is probably his fashion company getting a refund because they applied previous year's losses to the current year's profits.
So you're saying Jesus is not his new accountant?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So you're saying Jesus is not his new accountant?
Not unless it's a Hispanic accountant.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's plenty of good Christian music. It just isn't made by people who call themselves "Christian musicians". If you're a good rock singer who's Christian, you call yourself a rock singer. If you're a good rapper who's Christian, you call yourself a rapper. If you're a mediocre musician (of any sort) who's Christian, then you call yourself a Christian musician, and sell to people who don't care about quality as long as it's Christian.
This is pretty much correct. I like U2 for the most part and Bono is a pretty dedicated Christian.

I'm trying to think of Christian music that is specifically labeled in the Christian market, like the stuff that used to be in the Christian book or music stores. I can't remember what stuff of that type that was good, but I would say:

Crimson Thorn - Dissection - A legit good death metal album if you like that genre. A band that could have gone on stage with Napalm Death or Cannibal Corpse.

Circle of Dust - Another talent that ended up "going secular" as we called it back then. Made enough money and got enough attention that they dropped the Christian-exclusive releases.

I'm sure there are others. Michael W. Smith is a talented guy, but has countless forgettable albums and songs.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Jesus : "Morons. I've got morons on my team".
The really sad thing is that they used to be very suspicious of people spouting anything resembling the teachings of the Prosperity Gospel.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I actually listened to the album today, which is stunningly only a half-hour long.

1. It's not the worst thing he has put out, which is not saying that much. I don't hate this album.

2. It's basically a demo album. Why so lazy? He made full albums about shallow topics. If he has had a religious experience, why not make a magnum opus length album? I think if had gone all in and made something big and incredible, people would have appreciated it more. This seems half-hearted.

3. What the heck is up with that Chick-Fil-A song? Weirdest thing I've heard in forever. It's like he made the Weird Al version of one of his songs.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
It's basically a demo album. Why so lazy? He made full albums about shallow topics. If he has had a religious experience, why not make a magnum opus length album? I think if had gone all in and made something big and incredible, people would have appreciated it more. This seems half-hearted..
IMO, this is actually evidence of his mental health and sanity. This is because ultra-short 1:30 length tracks and 30-minute length albums are what's en vogue now. Not just in pop music but in rap music as well. I cant speak for why this is (shorter attention spans?) but it's definitely true. I think Kanye knows what appeals to the youth of today. At least in this one regard.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
IMO, this is actually evidence of his mental health and sanity. This is because ultra-short 1:30 length tracks and 30-minute length albums are what's en vogue now. Not just in pop music but in rap music as well. I cant speak for why this is (shorter attention spans?) but it's definitely true. I think Kanye knows what appeals to the youth of today. At least in this one regard.
I had no idea, as this is not a genre I am informed about. When did this crap start? And why?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I had no idea, as this is not a genre I am informed about. When did this crap start? And why?
The 30-minute part might be related to this trend of releasing albums on vinyl, since that's about all that will fit.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 30-minute part might be related to this trend of releasing albums on vinyl, since that's about all that will fit.
Color me clueless. Are they not two-sided?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:28 PM

In the sixth dimension there's only one.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

It just gets better...

Christian Genius Billionaire, huh?
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:

so how do feel when he went on Joel's show and said "God made him the greatest artist", and " Devil took over all great producers/artists/etc"?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 PM

so what does he think of his wife and her sisters who makes their living by posing half-naked to totally nude at least once a year? Im beginning to believe they dont actually live together day to day and he just comes by for the kids maybe some nookie and photo ops (like tabloids have claimed ) ......

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-17-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm too old to understand myself. My WAG is it's a byproduct of Internet Life. Attention can only be captured for so long before interest is lost or distraction is found.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Color me clueless. Are they not two-sided?
Yeah, a 33 ⅓ RPM LP will hold approximately 46 minutes of music, 23 on each side.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
so what does he think of his wife and her sisters who makes their living by posing half-naked to totally nude at least once a year?
I hate the Kardashians, but that's really not even close to how any of them make a living.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 AM

well ok i was being snarky that even though they have clothes and makeup empires and the tv show it seems if they need a boost in attention someone wears something skimpy or poses "artfully" nude in a fashion mag or shows up to a red carpet event in a see-through dress ....although its the younger pair that seems to do the last a lot more recently

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-18-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
well ok i was being snarky that even though they have clothes and makeup empires and the tv show it seems if they need a boost in attention someone wears something skimpy or poses "artfully" nude in a fashion mag or shows up to a red carpet event in a see-through dress ....although its the younger pair that seems to do the last a lot more recently
Maybe they just like being near nude?

And - that's my quota of defending the horrible, for the next 12 months.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Bizarre as it may sound, I think that Kanye and Kim actually have a healthy, stable relationship. They both agree on what they want out of the relationship, and they're both OK with that, and they're both getting it. It's just that what they both want is attention, more than affection.

And how do the Kardashians make their living, if not by posing nude or near-nude?
Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
And how do the Kardashians make their living, if not by posing nude or near-nude?
Kim doesn't have to take her clothes off to command 6 figures for a public appearance. They get paid more to keep clothes on, I'm sure. Kendall Jenner is the highest paid model in the world and that isn't all Victoria's Secret, quite a lot is fashion work.

Their main TV show has been running for 11 years. With many spinoffs. That can't be chump change.

And they sell a shitload of actual products - clothes, makeup, fragrances. Kylie, the youngest, is also by far the richest, most of that off makeup.

TBH, like I said, I hate the Kardashians, but I hate this kind of criticism of them way more, coming as it does with the unmistakable whiff of slut-shaming, and hence being essentially misogynistic in character.

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Christian music isn't merely music performed by a Christian. It's music performed for the purpose of proselytizing or glorifying the religion. Using your definition, yeah there's a ton and probably a significant portion of all music made in the US is Christian music. If you use my definition, the ratio of good to bad Christian music is pretty low.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I don't often find babylonbee all that funny, but that is great. One truth that seems to be universal is that modern Christian music is consistently mediocre.
I like the PJ O'Rourke line from Holidays in Hell when he visits a music store at the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker theme park Heritage USA.

Quote:
There wasn't an album titled "I Found Jesus and Lost My Talent" but I'm sure that's just an oversight.

Last edited by Patch; 11-18-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Maybe they just like being near nude?

And - that's my quota of defending the horrible, for the next 12 months.
Sorry, quotas reset every calendar year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Christian music isn't merely music performed by a Christian. It's music performed for the purpose of proselytizing or glorifying the religion. Using your definition, yeah there's a ton and probably a significant portion of all music made in the US is Christian music. If you use my definition, the ratio of good to bad Christian music is pretty low.
Not hes right. There are quite a few artists that have been outwardly Christian and performed Christian music by your definition but are not known primarily as Christian music. Elvis, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles. Kansas had many songs with Christian themes without specifically naming Jesus but they are known as rock not Christian rock.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Well, yes, the Kardashians make money for clothed appearances, too, but only because they're famous. And so far as anyone can determine, they're famous for doing porn videos.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
As a Christian, all I can say is ugh.

You should not be a follower of Jesus to get big tax returns. That is something straight out of the playbook of television prosperity teachers.
And I wasn't surprised to see that he made an appearance on Joel Osteen's program.

Of course, only God knows what's in Kanye's heart, but I just think this guy will do almost anything for publicity.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Wait until they find out he is bipolar and he thinks he is jesus.

The guy is having serious psychiatric problems in public and we just laugh at him. It sucks.