View Poll Results: How do you prefer to get high?
Flowers, rolled: a joint, a blunt, etc. 6 9.68%
Flowers, in a regular pipe (not a water pipe). 14 22.58%
Flowers, in a bong. 4 6.45%
Wax, dab, shatter, in a bong. 0 0%
Wax, dab, shatter, through a professionally-made device (like a vape pen). 4 6.45%
Professional edibles. 19 30.65%
Homemade edibles. 6 9.68%
Something Homie left out. 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Your Preferred Method For Getting High On THC

What's your preferred method for getting baked?

I love edibles, and the homemade firecrackers I make when I have an abundance of bud could make Cheech & Chong pass out. However, firecrackers taste like shit, and professionally-made edibles don't taste as bad, but they're expensive AF.

Lately I've grown to love the convenience of vape cartridges, and no, not the bootleg ones that are making everybody sick. Professional ones from Portland dispensaries.

However, for the classic experience, you can't go wrong with flowers. Smelling that sweet, sticky stank when you open the bag, lovingly grinding them up and releasing even more of that skunky funk, followed by the delicious, warm, acrid smoke.... I truly think getting high is as much about the process as it is the product.

No joints for me -- I'm the only smoker in the house, and J's don't make economic sense. Especially since Mrs. Homie makes me blaze up outside. I do love a pipe, but at the end of the day, nothing beats the beautiful sound of a bubbling bong.

What's yours?

Poll to follow.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Non-existent poll option:
Never have, never will.

I see no point in doing something that will make me stupid. Especially if it illegal, as it is here. Even if it becomes legal, I won't unless and until a doctor recommends it as the best medical treatment for me at the time.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
Never have, never will.

I see no point in doing something that will make me stupid. Especially if it illegal, as it is here. Even if it becomes legal, I won't unless and until a doctor recommends it as the best medical treatment for me at the time.
Wet blanket much?
Old 11-17-2019, 02:30 PM

I'm boring and live in an illegal state, so I have only done homemade of a few varieties.

Of the ones I've tried, the bong is by far the best. The smoke isn't nearly as unpleasant as it is in a blunt or joint.

I tried edibles a few times, but its hard to dose them properly. I get anxiety with too much weed, so it'd be nice to live in a legal state where I can measure my intake down to the mg.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:32 PM

One hitter and a dugout.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Edibles, preferably professionally done.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

In Canada where cannabis is legal, there is another option - soft gel capsules.

They're not strictly edibles and, I think, have better quality control (or at least more precise dosing) compared to current edibles.

Since the soft gel caps of one brand are identical, produced and looking like generic vitamin E capsules, I assume that absorption of their THC from the 'stomach' and into the bloodstream is more predictable, and their effect more reproducible than edibles.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Never have, never will.

WTF. I don't understand posts like this. The OP is asking about preferred methods of getting high. If you do not ever consume marijuana, *you have no relevant info to share* in this thread. And to make it the very first response too. SMH.

As far as my favorite method, probably good ole fashioned smoking. I like all the peripheral aspects to the smoking experience; the taste, smell, act of smoking itself, etc. I'm too set in my ways to ever really find a new fav.

That being said, I do love me some oils. Rick Simpson Oil? Gimme.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
I see no point in doing something that will make me stupid. . .
After reflecting a bit on this comment, I think you should worry more about looking stupid than being made so.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:08 PM

You left out flower in a vaporizer that can do flower, like a Volcano. That was my favorite method for a number of years, but lately I've been using a cartridge vape pen. Which I think you also left out, unless I'm unclear about what "wax, dab, shatter" means. Not real familiar with those items.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Never have, never will.

I see no point in doing something that will make me stupid.
So you don't drink alcohol? Do you answer this nastily when someone asks you what you like to drink?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Never have, never will.

Some day I aspire to be as superior as you. I don't drink but I'm never an ass about it. Just saying.

The best high comes for me comes from flower in a pipe. For convenience, nothing beats a vape. I bring my pen when I am going to live music.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Flower in a small water pipe. When discretion is required, a vape pen with cartridges from a dispensary.

I try to keep the vaping to a minimum. I find it really harsh. But it’s ideal for those times when I’m staying in hotels.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM

I like the the pre-rolled joints. Easy and cheap. We go through about 3 a year, so cost isn't an issue.
(and far cheaper than a good bottle of wine)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 PM
born to be shunned

Smoked 40 years ago or more; not since.

Now I stick with pie; THC-free.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Never have, never will.

Don't threadshit. If you don't have any interest in THC, don't post in obviously pro-THC threads.

I'm sure there are other THC related threads whose topic allows debate over their use or opinions on either side. Feel free to post in one of those, or create a thread of your own if you'd like.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
In Canada where cannabis is legal, there is another option - soft gel capsules

They're not strictly edibles and, I think, have better quality control (or at least more precise dosing) compared to current edibles.

Since the soft gel caps of one brand are identical, produced and looking like generic vitamin E capsules, I assume that absorption of their THC from the 'stomach' and into the bloodstream is more predictable, and their effect more reproducible than edibles.
Those sound great =)

When out in Las Vegas this past August, I picked up an edible [tangerine gummies] and a vape pen. I gave the pen a good test, a light delicate barely hit, then a second one the next day, the third day I did a good solid hit. All 3 tries I hacked up my spleen [or so it felt] WHile I had been a smoker back in the early 80s, and had at that time been partial to a good single hitter, I figured that I had not smoked and pretty much would have to get back into smoking by getting past the hacking. Not going to happen. The edibles were ok, but they had a minute amount of coconut oil in them, which gives me the shits so it wasn't worth getting the shits to kill pain - though both pen and edibles worked as pain relief.

Went home, let roomie who is a current smoker of both tobacco and weed give it a go. SHe also about coughed up a lung.
WE have both decided vaping is not the way for either of us and it was real disposable vape pen from a dispensary, not a juul rigged cartridge.

What I am going to try next is getting the resin and making my own tincture and doign it a drop or two under the tongue PRN.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 PM

Step 1: get on an airplane going to a more enlightened state

Step 2: Roll a joint (I donít have paraphernalia, given that I live in a state where such things are illegal.)
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
Roll a joint (I donít have paraphernalia, given that I live in a state where such things are illegal.)
You can't roll a joint without at least *some* paraphernalia.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Are the papers illegal in any state?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Well i know if they are found with illegal marijuana, they are illegal.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
They're legal in Arizona if you're 18 or older, since they can also be used to roll tobacco.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Papers are cheap enough that I dinít mind chucking the rest, ya know?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
They're legal in Arizona if you're 18 or older, since they can also be used to roll tobacco.
My point was, if weed is illegal in AZ (idk) and you get busted with weed, the cigarette rolling papers in your pocket can get you an additional paraphernalia charge.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
My point was, if weed is illegal in AZ (idk) and you get busted with weed, the cigarette rolling papers in your pocket can get you an additional paraphernalia charge.
OK, I get it. And weed is illegal in Arizona, except for medical marijuana. And they can charge you with possession of paraphernalia if you're caught with rolling papers and weed together.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 AM

joint or pipe... i tried a bong ...and meh..
Old 11-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
In a pinch, I've known people to use pages from a bible in their hotel room.

In the poll I picked flower in a pipe, but I'm so old fashioned I call flower "bud". A close second behind flower is a vape pen. They are just so damned convenient.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 AM

I was raised on joints, so to speak, and to this day they're my preference. After that I reckon edibles -- diy sweet treats more often than from the dispensary because the latter are usually priced way out of my range.

Last edited by El DeLuxo; 11-18-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 11-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
You left out flower in a vaporizer that can do flower, like a Volcano. That was my favorite method for a number of years, but lately I've been using a cartridge vape pen. Which I think you also left out, unless I'm unclear about what "wax, dab, shatter" means. Not real familiar with those items.
^^^ This.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Those who Vape flower: What do you do with your abv weed?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM

I save it and when I have enough I make cannabutter out of it. Put a bunch of the used weed in a pot of water with a stick or two of butter and boil it for a few hours. Then I usually make cookies with the butter.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

True Confessions time: When I was trying to quit the legal uppers and downers I was hooked on cold turkey, I smoked the (illegal) marijuana and it really helped.

I haven't done pills or grass since then, and will never do them again.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I save it and when I have enough I make cannabutter out of it. Put a bunch of the used weed in a pot of water with a stick or two of butter and boil it for a few hours. Then I usually make cookies with the butter.
How does the abv butter taste?
Old 11-18-2019, 11:52 AM

These days I mostly alternate between a regular pipe with flower and a vaporizer that vaporizes flower. When I have guests, a rolled joint is the best, and sometimes I still like to roll and smoke that way just for old-times sake (and to keep my skills up. Not to brag, but in the past I was able to roll a joint one-handed, in my pocket, in the rain, while waiting in line to see a movie. Dexterity!).

I am not a big fan of edibles, it turns out. I don't like the wait for it to work, and I don't like not knowing how high I will get, and somehow the quality of the high seems different to me (more prone to anxiety and paranoia). So I'm staying away from those.

The cartridges and vape pens are an amazing alternative for discretion and convenience. I did find a harshness and coughing problem, but I think I've solved that. After so many years of smoking joints and pipes (and cigarettes far in the past), I had a habit of taking a nice big deep draw. I just can't hit a vape pen the way I would hit a joint, and have to consciously remind myself. Very small sips, and it's fine. Unfortunately, I'm really too scared now of the lung problems to use those anymore (I live in an illegal state, and even though my "guy" has cartridges that look completely legit, straight from the dispensary, with all the appropriate branding and labeling, that could all be faked and the possible consequence is just too dire. )
Old 11-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
How does the abv butter taste?
Well, here's the thing. Most recipes will tell you to filter out the flower with cheesecloth while the water/butter is still hot. I've done that, but I think that a fair amount of the butter ends up trapped in the flower and/or the cheesecloth. So I started just leaving the flower in the butter. So the answer to your question is, it tastes terrible. But I don't eat it for the taste. And when it's cooked in a cookie, it's not that noticeable.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Well, here's the thing. Most recipes will tell you to filter out the flower with cheesecloth while the water/butter is still hot. I've done that, but I think that a fair amount of the butter ends up trapped in the flower and/or the cheesecloth. So I started just leaving the flower in the butter. So the answer to your question is, it tastes terrible. But I don't eat it for the taste. And when it's cooked in a cookie, it's not that noticeable.
OK, I used to make a ton of cannabutter and the cookies I made were tasty treats. I had a brownies that a friend made using his abv and the taste was not good.

I have a capsule press and have made capsules in the past. If I go back to vaping more I think I'd make caps.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Flowers in a pipe.

Flowers grown legally right out in the garden along with the vegetables. Interesting plants to grow.

Never thought I would see the day.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Many ways, in this order of preference: Volcano, dab, vape pen, bong, pipe, joints. Professional edibles anytime we find good caramels or before flying. When in the mood, we make cannabutter for our own chocolate-covered bacon, rice crispie treats, and cookies. We do not use abv in our edibles. I'd like to find a good use for abv, but I can't stand the taste.

In Jamaica again on vacation right now, so it's pipe and spliffs. And ice cream!

Last edited by stretch; 11-18-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Flowers grown legally right out in the garden along with the vegetables.
While I totally understand the sentiment, outside pollen is too scary. Give me a 12x12 indoor grow room and lights and I'm happy.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:50 PM

Flowers, glass pipe. I like to keep it simple.

Back in the day I had a homemade bong called "The Big Hurt," but that got left behind at college 20 years ago.

I have friends who are into the vapes and wax and oils and shit, but using that stuff kinda makes me feel like a crackhead. Not a fan of edibles.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Hot-knifing Afghani hash. Ask your dad.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Flowers, glass pipe. I like to keep it simple.
Anyone here tried a silicone pipe with a glass bowl insert? Clean smoking like glass with improved mouthfeel. Plus, you can drop it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Hot-knifing Afghani hash. Ask your dad.
You can modernize the concept with an e-rig. Ask your kids.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

It's been thirty-five years or so, but back in the day it was either just a regular hand rolled, or an air pipe. Do they still have those? It was a regular pipe, but the stem extended thru the bowl and was open at the other end. I would light the thing, put my finger on the other end, and then inhale as normal until the stem filled up. Cooled the smoke.

Edibles were the traditional brownies. I found the high fiber content to be an occasional issue, but easier on the lungs. Plus the delay in the effect made it harder to titrate the dose, especially with a new batch.

A friend of mine had a whole elaborate set up, because he was concerned about wasting any of the smoke, and also he was paranoid about people smelling the smoke. He made it out of labware. One end was a glass bowl with a cover. There was one pipe into the bowl with an air pump to push air in, and another pipe leading into a regular bong. You would put the boo into the bowl, light it, cover it, and then pump air in, which was forced out and into the bong, which you smoked as normal. Hardly any smoke escaped. I tried it once, and it was fine, but a pretty elaborate process when you just wanted to get toasted.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-19-2019, 11:58 PM

I use tinctures with medical marijuana, just a few drops under the tongue. I breath through a hole in my neck, so I can't exactly smoke/inhale any method.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabstist View Post
I use tinctures with medical marijuana, just a few drops under the tongue.
How long does it take to get high like this? A couple of hours, like with edibles?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
How long does it take to get high like this? A couple of hours, like with edibles?
IME, (green dragon) it hits hard and fast due to absorption through mucous membranes.

I once made green dragon and offered it to friends who were visiting. I poured a shot and took a sip (I shoulda started with a drop), then passed it around. By the time I had the shot glass back, I was too high to figure out what to do with the 1/4 full glass in my hand.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM

I LOVE edibles. It's the ultimate for my bunion pain relief at work and to have a solid, grinning under-buzz happening all the live long day. Got a friend that makes them, I eat about 70 a week. And they're strong. Topping off with a pen or bud after hours and then off to bed.

I think that what's happening, at least to me, is that my tolerance has become sky-high (natch) due to so much constant exposure to high-levels of THC that what's high for me is absolutely destroyed to someone else.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Not a fan of edibles here. They give me a headache, and the high feels more like I have flu symptoms. Faulty body chemistry I guess.
I've never gotten the hang of rolling joints. They always come out lumpy and tend to split open.
Water bongs are OK, but usually require care in handling, so I prefer not to tempt fate.
I was into vaping for a while, but tore up my equipment through lack of caution (see water bongs above).
So, I stick with regular pipes. My favorite is one I bought from a festival that was fashioned from a copper pipe and decorated with ceramics to look like a whale with a big toothy smile. I call it "Stonah."
Old 11-20-2019, 02:32 PM

I do a two week tolerance break once a year, in January, and I'm really looking forward to it! I have amazing, interesting, vivid dreams that make me eager to go to sleep each night. Then, when I break my fast, every puff is glorious.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Edibles are much faster these days. I had some 350mg brownies which hit hard and fast. 1/4 will get you comfortably high for hours. Perfect for a movie. 1/2 will obliterate you, perfect for Sunday NFL.

DISCLOSURE: I had a knee injury and they were very effective dealing with the pain and allowing me to sleep. I rarely used weed before so I'm sure my tolerance was low.