Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM

E.P.A. to Limit Science Used to Write Public Health Rules
https://nyti.ms/2CxNwt0
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to significantly limit the scientific and medical research that the government can use to determine public health regulations, overriding protests from scientists and physicians who say the new rule would undermine the scientific underpinnings of government policymaking.

A new draft ofthe Environmental Protection Agency proposal, titled Strengthening Transparency in Regulatory Science, would require that scientists disclose all of their raw data, including confidential medical records, before the agency could consider an academic study’s conclusions. E.P.A. officials called the plan a step toward transparency and said the disclosure of raw data would allow conclusions to be verified independently.

“We are committed to the highest quality science,” Andrew Wheeler, the E.P.A. administrator, told a congressional committee in September. “Good science is science that can be replicated and independently validated, science that can hold up to scrutiny. That is why we’re moving forward to ensure that the science supporting agency decisions is transparent and available for evaluation by the public and stakeholders.”

The measure would make it more difficult to enact new clean air and water rules because many studies detailing the links between pollution and disease rely on personal health information gathered under confidentiality agreements. And, unlike a version of the proposal that surfaced in early 2018, this one could apply retroactively to public health regulations already in place.
My bold.

Can't trust scientists. After all, they've been to college, and nothing good comes from those liberal dung heaps.

And by all means, let's let the public evaluate the scientists' work. That's the ticket.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

My bold.

Can't trust scientists. After all, they've been to college, and nothing good comes from those liberal dung heaps.

And by all means, let's let the public evaluate the scientists' work. That's the ticket.
Egads! Stakeholders.....meaning anyone who doesn't like what the FACTS of the science are telling them. Lemme guess, stakeholders will be the ones with the money to make a big enough stink.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
A 25-minute video from whom? Relevant to what? You watched that whole thing?
This is a BBQ Pit thread about Stupid Republicans. What's your point? You think that woman is smarter than the average stupid Republican? Maybe you're right.

Watch the whole thing? Of course not.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:

My bold.

As if they would even look at the raw data (not to mention this could be a very serious HIPA violation).
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
Oops, sorry, I edited the quote to take out the verse numbers before I saw your comment and ruined the joke. I like the idea though. "46! Woe also to you lawyers! 47! You load people with burdens hard to bear! ... Don't make me count to 50!"

It's even better if you picture him ticking them off on his fingers..."Jesus, how many fingers do you have?!?"
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not the public. Business interests, especially the sugar daddies in the Koch Network.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's even better if you picture him ticking them off on his fingers..."Jesus, how many fingers do you have?!?"
The Miracle of Sprouting Fingers doesn't get enough recognition. How's that not as cool as water walking?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Jim Jordan reportedly plans to repeatedly scream the name of the person Breitbart claims is the whistleblower in order to disrupt impeachment hearings.

We've literally reached the child-throwing-a-temper-tantrum point here.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Jim Jordan reportedly plans to repeatedly scream the name of the person Breitbart claims is the whistleblower in order to disrupt impeachment hearings.

"Does the distinguished gentleman from Ohio need a nap?"
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Gonna need a 7 second delay on the broadcasts now because Republicans are shitty fucking people.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

What powers does a House Chairman have? Judge Julius Hoffman of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois had Bobby Seale bound and gagged in 1969; could Chairman Schiff order Jordan bound and gagged?

Has the House leadership hired deputies for the Sergeant-at-Arms? I think we're at the point where it would be derelict not to.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Has the House leadership hired deputies for the Sergeant-at-Arms? I think we're at the point where it would be derelict not to.
Representatives might start exercising their right to bear gutta-percha canes.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 11-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM

11/13/19
Lindsay Graham single handedly blocks a Congressional resolution calling Turkey's murders of Armenians "genocide". Right after he and several other Republicans (no Democrats) were invited by Individual 1 to a private meeting with Erdogan.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...rdogan-meeting
Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
11/13/19
Lindsay Graham single handedly blocks a Congressional resolution calling Turkey's murders of Armenians "genocide". Right after he and several other Republicans (no Democrats) were invited by Individual 1 to a private meeting with Erdogan.
To be fair, some of the people who deny genocide are very fine people.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
11/13/19
And he was absolutely correct in doing so. It is unhelpful to muddy the terms used in debate, when Turkey didn't commit atrocities based on or out of any sort of genetic or racial theory, which is what the word "genocide" expicitly implies. At the very worst, it was simply a case of ethno-cultural cleansing in response to practical problems caused by multiculturalism. I think we can all see the distorsion and misdirection critics on the Left are applying to this issue, and we all have a pretty clear notion of why.

(Yes, this is satire)

Last edited by Kobal2; 11-14-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
11/13/19

To be fair, the Armenian Genocide is one of those politically fraught issues where stating the obvious conflicts with realpolitik (see also the refusal to recognize Taiwan as independent from the People republic of China). The refusal to acknowledge it has been the US policy for decades, so its not clear that that long standing policy would have changed were it not for the Erdoğan meeting.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 11-14-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
To be fair, the Armenian Genocide is one of those politically fraught issues where stating the obvious conflicts with realpolitik (see also the refusal to recognize Taiwan as independent from the People republic of China). The refusal to acknowledge it has been the US policy for decades, so its not clear that that long standing policy would have changed were it not for the Erdoğan meeting.
Of course, but then issues like that also function as a moral shibboleth that (IMO) are ultimately counterproductive even when you accept realpolitik as valid. If you're not willing to describe reality, or condemn the black/white morally condemnable ; then why on Earth would I give a token shit about your moral condemnation of my actions ? Or, flipped around, if you yourself are convinced of the moral underpinning of your own actions, their principled roots and their ultimately leading to a greater good ; why do you feel you have to lie at any point ? Just argue that "yes, it's genocide, but it's OK because...". That does make you look like a monster, but... yes.
As an obscure French punk says, "you cannot claim righteousness while advancing in meandering reptations and détours".

Last edited by Kobal2; 11-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:40 PM

Nov 13
The Ohio House has passed a bill and sent it to the Senate that would prevent schools from giving students failing grades if they turn in work that is based on their religious views instead of the information their teachers provided.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/...in-a-week.html
Old 11-14-2019, 04:59 PM

There is a little bit more to the bill than that. However, I don't understand this part:

Quote:
Allows students to engage in religious expression before, during and after school hours to the same extent as a student in secular activities or expression
I'm pretty sure my kids (in Maryland) can engage in religious expression all they want at any time. Ohio needs a law to say this? Stupid Ohio, glad I moved out of that craphole.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Personally, I'm all for religious people engaging in religious expression to the exact same extent as lay or atheist people.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nov 13
The Ohio House has passed a bill and sent it to the Senate that would prevent schools from giving students failing grades if they turn in work that is based on their religious views instead of the information their teachers provided.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/...in-a-week.html
That will come in handy for math tests.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Perfect comic Steve.

Next up, "The Earth is Flat"
Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
11/13/19
It's a tough choice for the President - does he want to cozy up to Erdogan or stay friends with Kanye & Kim?
Old 11-15-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Well, there is that bit in the Bible about Pi being equal to exactly 3. When it comes to them taking the SAT test will Ohio students be similarly excused?
Old 11-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Here is an evil man.

Stephen Miller’s Sinister Syllabus
Quote:
Somewhat lost in the frenzy over impeachment this week was a report from the Southern Poverty Law Center on Stephen Miller, a White House speechwriter and close adviser to the president.

An analysis of more than 900 emails from Miller to editors at Breitbart News, the report shows Miller’s single-minded focus on nonwhite immigration and his immersion in an online ecosystem of virulent, unapologetic racism. The Miller of these emails isn’t just an immigration restrictionist, he’s an ideological white nationalist.

The first travel ban, rolled out within days of President Trump’s inauguration? That was Miller. Family separation at the border? That was Miller too. The relentless effort to limit asylum, deport protected migrants and block refugees from entering the country? Also Miller. The president’s January address from the Oval Office, in which he spun gruesome tales of immigrant crime and violence (“In California, an Air Force veteran was raped, murdered and beaten to death with a hammer by an illegal alien with a long criminal history”)? Stephen Miller.

But suspecting Miller’s ideological allegiances is quite different than knowing them. In the absence of proof, there was room for plausible deniability. That’s how a conservative magazine editor could praise Miller as a “wunderkind” for his command of the “details” of immigration policy while dismissing evidence that Miller was once close to Richard Spencer, a prominent neo-Nazi.

With the emails — supplied by Katie McHugh, a former editor at Breitbart — we now know what Miller was reading and thinking about in the year before he joined the Trump campaign. And there’s no denying the nature of the material.

Breitbart fired Katie McHugh in 2017 for anti-Muslim remarks on Twitter. Since then, she says, she has left the “alt-right” and renounced her white nationalist views.

Miller, on the other hand, is still writing speeches and making policy. And while Democrats have called for his removal in the wake of this report (“Stephen Miller must resign. Now,” Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said on Twitter), Republicans have been silent. Perhaps they’re occupied with impeachment, struggling to defend the president’s behavior against clear evidence of his guilt. Perhaps they don’t want to confront the fact that white nationalist ideas have a privileged place in this administration. Or perhaps they just don’t care enough to be alarmed.

Now we have proof that one of the president’s key advisers is awash in white nationalism. But to a Republican Party that has stuck with that president, what difference would this actually make?
Zip, that's what.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Tedra Cobb, Eiise Stefanik's Democratic opponent, has gotten more than $100,000 in contributions since Stefanik's antics at the impeachment hearings yesterday.
https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...-of-over-100k/
Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
There is a little bit more to the bill than that. However, I don't understand this part:

I'm pretty sure my kids (in Maryland) can engage in religious expression all they want at any time. Ohio needs a law to say this? Stupid Ohio, glad I moved out of that craphole.
It's just part of their damn "We are the persectued ones" line of bullshit.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 PM

A Colorado radio host was discussing Individual-ONE's former liarlawyer Roy Cohn when a canned newscast started stepping on his broadcast and the station manager stepped into the booth to let him know that his nose was inadequately Orange, and it was time for him to be looking for a job elsewhere.

(I mean, who deliberately chooses “KNUS” for call letters? How stupid can you get?)
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 PM

November 18, 2019
Kanye West went on stage with evangelist Joel Osteen tonight, and snapped at his congregation to be quiet while he talked.
https://deadstate.org/kanye-west-sna...-while-i-speak
Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann

“This [phony impeachment] is such a pathetic joke. They have no candidate on the Democrat side for 2020 that they can get excited about. … They have no message, they have no record of accomplishment, they’re doing nothing in Congress, so this [impeachment] is the only thing they have to run on....

“Our President of the United States — he is like nobody else I have ever met in my life. And he doesn’t scare easy and he’s gonna stare these guys down. They have no idea who they’re dealing with.... [Trump’s potential impeachment has] almost biblical implications....

“[Trump] understands the difference between good and evil. We have not seen a president with greater moral clarity than this president.”
Old 11-19-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I always wonder if someone like Bachmann can honestly believe what she's saying. How can someone who's capable of putting one foot in front of the other say stuff like that sincerely?

Last edited by davidm; 11-19-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 AM

She might be right about this: “[Trump] understands the difference between good and evil. We have not seen a president with greater moral clarity than this president.”

I mean, how could anyone so consistently choose “evil,” day in and day out, for years, if they weren’t able to clearly distinguish it from “good”?

Last edited by JKellyMap; 11-19-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I always wonder if someone like Bachmann can honestly believe what she's saying. How can someone who's capable of putting one foot in front of the other say stuff like that sincerely?
I think almost all Trump supporters genuinely believe the (seemingly) stupid shit they say. If you put things into the context that Republicans believe that stopping the spread of global leftism is the current most important task, then it makes perfect sense. Now, their world view is beyond fucked up but if you're one of those who buy it then you can also buy that Donald J. Trump is practically a gift from God.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
A Colorado radio host was discussing Individual-ONE's former liarlawyer Roy Cohn when a canned newscast started stepping on his broadcast and the station manager stepped into the booth to let him know that his nose was inadequately Orange, and it was time for him to be looking for a job elsewhere.
(After a quick trip to Wiki) Holy shit! I had no idea it was that Roy Cohn. The best men, indeed.
Quote:
(I mean, who deliberately chooses “KNUS” for call letters? How stupid can you get?)
Back in the 1920s when newspapers were unabashedly for one party or the other, The Arizona Republic bought up the first radio station in the state, KFAD, and requested the call sign be changed to KREP. That lasted about six months until the request came to change it to KTAR, the call sign it retains today despite having several changes of ownership and is no longer associated with the newspaper.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I don't get what's so bad. I've cogitated and googled and cogitated and... a bad attempt at "news" or "canoes" is the worst I've come up with.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I don't get what's so bad. I've cogitated and googled and cogitated and... a bad attempt at "news" or "canoes" is the worst I've come up with.
You're not the only one. I thought KNUS for a news station was a pretty good idea.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

More Fun with Medicine by Medically Ignorant Republican Legislators:

Quote:
Ohio's proposed abortion ban would require doctors to reimplant ectopic pregnancies, but that's not possible

In Ohio, anti-abortion-rights groups and 20 Republican lawmakers recently proposed an abortion ban that would, in most cases, consider doctors who perform abortions guilty of aggravated murder.
The new proposal would also require doctors to attempt to reimplant ectopic pregnancies in the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies occur when a fertilized egg attaches itself outside the uterus, where it can't grow.
The Ohio proposal ignores the fact that reimplanting an ectopic pregnancy in the uterus is "physiologically impossible," said Dr. Chris Zahn, the vice president of practice activities at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Attempting to reimplant an ectopic pregnancy can be extremely dangerous, but treating it correctly can save a pregnant person's life.

The new proposal would also require doctors to attempt to reimplant ectopic pregnancies in the uterus, where it's supposed to grow. Ectopic pregnancies occur when a fertilized egg attaches itself outside the uterus, where it can't develop.

But the Ohio proposal ignores the fact that reimplanting an ectopic pregnancy is "physiologically impossible," said Dr. Chris Zahn, the vice president of practice activities at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. In fact, attempting that is extremely dangerous, and the technology needed to do it doesn't even exist.

Once the fertilized egg, the damaged tissue, and the fallopian tube are removed from the pregnant person's body, it's impossible to reimplant the pregnancy in the uterus, because no procedure exists to do so, Zahn said.

"It is not possible to move an ectopic pregnancy from a fallopian tube, or anywhere else it might have implanted, to the uterus," he said.

Even if there were such a procedure, it still probably wouldn't be possible, because in many cases the fertilized egg is not intact after an ectopic pregnancy, Dr. Donnica Moore, the host of the podcast "In the Ladies' Room with Dr. Donnica," told Insider.
https://www.insider.com/ohio-abortio...ancies-2019-11

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...paign=trending
Old 11-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
WTF??

Old 11-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

They call themselves "pro-life," yet they'll happily support legislation that endangers the life of the mother.

On the other hand, I'm convinced that a small number of these legislators are so ignorant when it comes to science that they hear "ectopic pregnancy" and think that there's a little bitty misplaced baby that must be put back in the right place.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I assume they're assuming people will pronounce it to sound like 'anus' with a K sound at the start.

The only case of doing that with a radio's call letters I can think of is CHUM and CHUM-FM up here, though, so I'm not sure why...
Old 11-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm convinced that a small number of these legislators are so ignorant when it comes to science that they hear "ectopic pregnancy" and think that there's a little bitty misplaced baby that must be put back in the right place.
Kinda like putting a birdie back in the nest it's fallen out of.

Last edited by DesertDog; 11-20-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 AM

All available evidence suggests a different motive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
They call themselves "pro-life," yet they'll happily support legislation that endangers the life of the mother.

They hate women. They REALLY hate women who have sex. Abortion is idiotically easy to reduce in numbers: sex education; access to birth control; fighting sexism; education, period; helping abused women leave abusive men; support for actual mothers, like daycare and things like that that enable women to support themselves. Instead, the anti choicers still promote lies after forty years: rape never causes pregnancy, that there are NEVER health reasons to end a pregnancy, and that Planned Parenthood makes zillions of dollars on abortions.

If they really think abortion is murder, then why aren't they arresting men who impregnate women, then? A man can impregnate God knows how many women per month, but women can only have one pregnancy per YEAR.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
You're not the only one. I thought KNUS for a news station was a pretty good idea.
I think what people objecting to this are seeing is K-Noose, and with the k silent, just plain old Noose. You know, that thing that people threaten to use to keep certain people in their place.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post

The pro-life position is an intellectual fraud perpetrated by those who don't give a drop of rat's piss about anyone's life; it's a position that uses a fetus as a rhetorical battering ram against the wall that protects a woman's personal liberty.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Justified by a belief in magic.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:02 AM

KNUS is also SUNK backwards, if that helps any. Otherwise, I got nothing.

Also: fuck Ohio Republicans.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I assume they're assuming people will pronounce it to sound like 'anus' with a K sound at the start.

The only case of doing that with a radio's call letters I can think of is CHUM and CHUM-FM up here, though, so I'm not sure why...
I don't know if anyone is expecting anyone to say it out loud, but whenever I see KNUS, I read it as "Kay-nus."

And it doesn't matter how old you are, butts are always funny.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 AM

That's the way I was reading it. Didn't know there was another way.

-God
Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Top Trump health official spent $3 million on contractors who helped boost her visibility
Quote:
Earlier this year, a top Republican communications operative delivered a plan to boost the profile of Seema Verma, President Trump’s appointee overseeing health insurance for the elderly and poor. The “Executive Visibility Proposal” was a month-by-month blueprint to have her grant interviews to Women’s Day and other magazines, speak at prominent conferences and appear at Washington’s most prestigious social events.

Marked “privileged, pre-decisional, deliberative,” the eight-page proposal, emailed to Verma’s deputy chief of staff, was part of an unusual campaign carried out by high-paid contractors Verma brought on at a cost to taxpayers of more than $3 million.

This work over 19 months that provided “strategic communication” services by a network of politically connected contractors and subcontractors, first reported by Politico, came as Verma spoke about the importance of fostering individual responsibility and self-reliance among the nation’s needy.

Hell, I'd have done it for $1 million.

But there's more:
Quote:
...As chief of a $1 trillion Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services within the Department of Health and Human Services, Verma has forged a far more partisan and outspoken brand than almost any of her predecessors. Typically, CMS administrators are visible on Capitol Hill and elsewhere but focus on the wonkish details of public insurance programs. Verma, in contrast, has emerged as one of the administration’s champions of conservative health policies, decrying the single-payer models of health care advocated by liberal Democratic presidential candidates while embracing some of the right’s favorite ideas, including Medicaid work requirements and shifting more decision-making to states.

Offstage but irksome to some CMS staffers, the strategic communications consultants— at least two dozen of them, documents show — formed an extragovernmental team that helped guide Verma where she wanted to go politically, oversaw some decisions by communication staff and attempted to elevate her profile in ways that go beyond what federal consultants usually are hired to do — and possibly beyond what contracting law permits, according to the documents, individuals familiar with the team’s role and an expert on government ethics.
My bold.

Ethics are for Losers!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:43 PM

I don't know if this is a new Republican talking point or just new to me, but a conservative friend posted a meme on Facebook stating that if we investigated cancer cells as thoroughly as we investigate the president, we would have cured cancer by now. I'm just curious if an actual Republican came up with this idea or if it's a troll from a Democrat. Comparing investigating the president to investigating cancer seems just a bit too on the nose to me.