Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999

Rediscovering obscure old songs from your youth


Isn't it fun when you do that?

I'm thinking about that because several days ago, I stumbled onto this wonderful song that I used to hear late at night on the AOR station as a tween in the late 1970s; they would play what we now call "deep tracks", and there were some songs that I never found out who did them or what they were called.

This particular one is "Fountains" by the Midwestern prog band Starcastle. I knew they had released two albums (and owned them at one time or another) but not that they had two others; this one is from their second, and by all accounts best, release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tORbYuWtM

As for what this sextet is doing now, they still do some nostalgia shows. Their first guitarist died about 10 years ago (cancer, I think) and the second guitarist looks like he might be an executive for a refrigeration company, and sure enough, he is. I'm mentioning this mainly because the keyboardist, Herb Schildt, is better known for his development and promotion of Java and C++ than he is for this.
  #2  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Midwestern prog band Starcastle.
Saw these guys live in 1976 around the time of their extremely Yes-influenced first album. They were the opening act at a huge stadium gig where they were followed by Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, and Jethro Tull.
  #3  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Slow-cala, Florida
Posts: 24,533
Neither of these might be "obscure":

Long, Tall Glasses - Leo Sayer ("I think I can DANCE! I think I can DANCE! I CAN DANCE!)

Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) - Reunion (I wish I had a nickel for every kid in school who almost passed out trying to sing that song [production trickery, it was]. When Billy Joel released "We Didn't Start The Fire," we all tried to substitute the words of one for the other. Neither version would work.)
  #4  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Saw these guys live in 1976 around the time of their extremely Yes-influenced first album. They were the opening act at a huge stadium gig where they were followed by Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, and Jethro Tull.
I posted on Facebook that if Yes and Styx had a baby, they would have named it Starcastle.

Their third album, "Citadel", was composed of short pop songs that were good but they were drifting away from the whole prog thing, at the urging of their record company (and the front cover appears to be festooned with penises, or do I have a dirty mind?) The fourth album was called "Real to Reel" and the chatter I heard online said it was crap and they wanted nothing to do with it. The songs I checked out from it were indeed awful, and you can't even download tracks from it on their website.
  #5  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Neither of these might be "obscure":

Long, Tall Glasses - Leo Sayer ("I think I can DANCE! I think I can DANCE! I CAN DANCE!)

Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) - Reunion (I wish I had a nickel for every kid in school who almost passed out trying to sing that song [production trickery, it was]. When Billy Joel released "We Didn't Start The Fire," we all tried to substitute the words of one for the other. Neither version would work.)
Grey Seal

Whatever Gets You Through the Night
  #6  
Old 11-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Trinopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 22,861
I may be repeating myself... Apologies...

Back in 1971, I saw the program "Say Goodbye," and the opening theme song really stuck with me. Now, 44 years later, I found the YouTube recording of the song. "Say Goodbye" by Dory Previn.

The show itself was pretty good. Early ecological/conservation material. The song is fairly typical 60's folk-song style. I like it.
  #7  
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
the second guitarist looks like he might be an executive for a refrigeration company, and sure enough, he is.
His name is Stephen Hagler, and he has a regular gig doing acoustic sets at a wine bar in the St. Louis area, where he lives and works. This bar has a Facebook page, and appears to have a, shall we say, mature clientele.
  #8  
Old 11-10-2015, 09:25 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
So, I decided to pull up their AFAIK best-known song, "Lady of the Lake" and am listening to it right now. Someone on the message board said it made the "Bubbling Under" section of the Billboard Top 100, stalling at #101. It was almost certainly an edited version; I can't imagine a 10 1/2 minute song getting onto Top 40 radio, not even in the mid 1970s.

7 minutes, like "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Maybe. Not 10:28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbZ0m73B3E
  #9  
Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Horatio Hellpop is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Jeju-si, S. Korea
Posts: 9,749
I was pretty oblivious to the Allman Brothers and ZZ Top back in the 70s and have a new appreciation for both.
  #10  
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM
california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,396
I always thought this should have gotten greater exposure: Shoot to Kill, by 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ru0peeaF74

This one gave me the creeps when I was nine, now I find it hilarious.
Timothy, by The Buoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii1FGESbxO8
  #11  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Don Draper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,937
Funny, but I was just thinking of starting a thread along these lines after just having rediscovered Throwing Muses, which is a band I listened to a lot in college, but haven't listened to in so long I had completely forgotten they existed.
  #12  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:24 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Funny, but I was just thinking of starting a thread along these lines after just having rediscovered Throwing Muses, which is a band I listened to a lot in college, but haven't listened to in so long I had completely forgotten they existed.
I liked their album "Hunkpapa", and saw them in 1991. Unfortunately, the show was less than stellar.

Kristen Hersh is still performing, and published a book some years back about her battle with bipolar disorder.
  #13  
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 PM
MonkeyMensch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
...
This one gave me the creeps when I was nine, now I find it hilarious.
Timothy, by The Buoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii1FGESbxO8
Yeah, makes you wonder where the whole Mine-Disaster-Cannibalism genre went after 1971...
  #14  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,455
Not exactly from my yout, but I recently re-stumbled into Tim Curry's I Do the Rock.


Quote:
I've always liked DiMaggio and Rockne's pretty Knute you know...

mmm
  #15  
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 AM
hogarth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,400
This probably doesn't count as an obscure song, but as a kid I heard the song Johnny's Cash and Charley's Pride a few times and I thought it was great. Over the past 30 years, I never heard it again and I thought it was called something like "If I had Johnny's Paycheck and I had Johnny's Cash". But now thanks to Google and Youtube I can listen to it all I want now.
  #16  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:28 AM
CheshireKat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: on a peaceful little farm
Posts: 8,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Not exactly from my yout, but I recently re-stumbled into Tim Curry's I Do the Rock.
Well, it's stimulating!


This is one of my favorite Tim Curry performances.
  #17  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Malthus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,184
When I was a kid in the early '70s, my dad gave my older brothers an ancient record player, the kind that came in its own carrying case and latched up, and a few old records - including some old 45s (there was a sort of plastic adaptor you needed to play 'em, which was lost, and replaced with a bit of cardboard). One of those 45s (it may even have been the original) had "the Witch Doctor Song" on it, with the "Oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" chorus. Left a big impression on my six year old self. We played the shit outta it.

Flash forward to yesterday - my kid was singing in the bathroom while washing up - and he was singing the "Oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" chorus. I have no idea where he heard it.

Last edited by Malthus; 11-11-2015 at 09:50 AM.
  #18  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I liked their album "Hunkpapa", and saw them in 1991. Unfortunately, the show was less than stellar.

Kristen Hersh is still performing, and published a book some years back about her battle with bipolar disorder.
Love me some Kristen Hersh
  #19  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 AM
racer72 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 6,408
I went to a club in Seattle back in the late 70's with a cousin of mine. That band that played that night was called Gamma. Didn't recognize the guitar player till later in the show when he said he was going to play some of his early stuff. Suddenly realized it was Ronnie Montrose. I'll bet there wasn't 75 people in there that night. Most excellent show.
  #20  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 AM
cjepson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,303
I like to buy old LPs at yard sales and such, and what you describe happens every once in a while (not so often now as it used to)... I've rediscovered songs such as "It Doesn't Matter" by Manassas, "The Legend of the USS Titanic" by Jaime Brockett, "Open My Eyes" by Nazz, "Omaha" by Moby Grape, and "Hey Man" by Rare Bird... all stuff that got FM airplay back in the early 70s.

There is also the occasional tune that got regional AM airplay when I was in high school but never charted nationally. One example I recently excavated is "Mixed Up Guy" by Joey Scarbury, a Jimmy Webb song that is perhaps better known from Dusty Springfield's version, "Mixed Up Girl".

Last edited by cjepson; 11-11-2015 at 10:50 AM.
  #21  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
I went to a club in Seattle back in the late 70's with a cousin of mine. That band that played that night was called Gamma. Didn't recognize the guitar player till later in the show when he said he was going to play some of his early stuff. Suddenly realized it was Ronnie Montrose. I'll bet there wasn't 75 people in there that night. Most excellent show.
Which reminds me of another great old song: Gamma's "Voyager".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPLN4HBJ7Q
  #22  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:28 PM
casdave is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 8,348
I reckon pretty much all of you have heard this, but you can't remember the name or the artist, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0EL7fjfeE8
  #23  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
I reckon pretty much all of you have heard this, but you can't remember the name or the artist, right?
I can, but I live in Chicago, and the band is still well-known here, having re-formed 25 years ago.
  #24  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,487
I liked that song "Flagpole Sitta" by the band Harvey Danger and got their full album Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? as one of my 10 CDs for a dollar or whatever from Columbia House. I don't think it went in to my main rotation (you know, the 30 CDs you could fit in your CD wallet?) and I didn't give the band much thought after that.

A few years ago I re-discovered the album, as well as the next two albums the band released. They are all great and I love them!

Sadly, I also found that the band had broken up just a few years before I re-discovered them. Bah.
  #25  
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM
davida03801 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,481
Back in college in mid 70 time frame one late night DJ played every night a rock and roll version of "In the hall of the mountain king" by greig.

I never heard that song since, wish i could find.
  #26  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:02 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Back in college in mid 70 time frame one late night DJ played every night a rock and roll version of "In the hall of the mountain king" by greig.

I never heard that song since, wish i could find.
Electric Light Orchestra did a version of it on their third album (released in 1973), which would fit that time frame. Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS5h8OXl0Q
  #27  
Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 PM
NDP's Avatar
NDP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
I reckon pretty much all of you have heard this, but you can't remember the name or the artist, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0EL7fjfeE8
I know the group's name is The Ides of March. However, I think a lot of people initially thought it was Blood, Sweat, & Tears because the two groups sound a lot alike and BS&T was at the height of its popularity when "Vehicle" was released in 1970.
__________________
Can also be seen at:

Last FM Library Thing
  #28  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
I reckon pretty much all of you have heard this, but you can't remember the name or the artist, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0EL7fjfeE8
That's still played on the local oldies stations; however, I'm not all that far from Chicago either.
  #29  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,835
I recently ran across Ian Dury's "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" again (the video was a bit controversial because Dury was wearing cut-off sleeves).
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #30  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,244
When I was around 6 or 7 years old, there was occasionally this song on the radio that I absolutely loved for some indescribable reason. I remember this time I was listening to it and I was utterly entranced, and my little sister ignorantly grabbed the dial on the radio and switched it to another station. I freaked out and begged my mother to get the song back, but she couldn't find the station in time. She asked my father if he had that song in his LP collection, but, alas, he didn't.

I didn't hear that song again for a good 20 years or so. I had no idea who had sung or composed it. I could only vaguely remember the melody.

Then, one day a few years ago I was driving at night, and I had a classic rock station on, and Roy Orbison's "You Got It" came on, and I realized that that was the song I'd loved and never quite been able to remember.

(I went through a slightly less traumatic experience forgetting and remembering the Who's "Bargain" between when I heard it as a kid and rediscovered it as an adult.)
  #31  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 PM
PapSett is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireKat View Post
Well, it's stimulating!


This is one of my favorite Tim Curry performances.
God I love Tim Curry!
  #32  
Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Son of a Rich's Avatar
Son of a Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
When I was a kid in the early '70s, my dad gave my older brothers an ancient record player, the kind that came in its own carrying case and latched up, and a few old records - including some old 45s (there was a sort of plastic adaptor you needed to play 'em, which was lost, and replaced with a bit of cardboard). One of those 45s (it may even have been the original) had "the Witch Doctor Song" on it, with the "Oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" chorus. Left a big impression on my six year old self. We played the shit outta it.

Flash forward to yesterday - my kid was singing in the bathroom while washing up - and he was singing the "Oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" chorus. I have no idea where he heard it.
Does he watch Family Guy? Quagmire does that refrain in response to gay marriage.
  #33  
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,397
I listened to Rush's Caress of Steel album a few weeks ago. That was a blast from the past!
  #34  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:36 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
When I was a kid in the early '70s, my dad gave my older brothers an ancient record player, the kind that came in its own carrying case and latched up, and a few old records - including some old 45s (there was a sort of plastic adaptor you needed to play 'em, which was lost, and replaced with a bit of cardboard).
An aside: Canadian TV often shows commercials for insurance (I think) for baby boomers that usually start off "If you can identify these [various pictures], you're over 50," or something like that. One of the pictures is the kind of plastic adaptor you speak of. I asked my 20-year-old daughter, who is generally pretty knowledgable about pop culture, if she knew what it was. She had no clue. The best she could come up with was "Some kind of symbol?"
  #35  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjepson View Post
"The Legend of the USS Titanic" by Jaime Brockett.
Are you sure that's the title? Not to nitpick, but Titanic was an RMS (Royal Mail Steamer), not a USS.

Is this the song (popular among some folk in 1912) about the black guy who survives the sinking of the ship?
  #36  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
The best she could come up with was "Some kind of symbol?"
In her defense, the adaptor they show does look sort of like a neon-green triskelion.
  #37  
Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 AM
cjepson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Are you sure that's the title? Not to nitpick, but Titanic was an RMS (Royal Mail Steamer), not a USS.

Is this the song (popular among some folk in 1912) about the black guy who survives the sinking of the ship?
That is in fact the title... and it does use the old Leadbelly song "The Titanic" as a jumping-off point, referring to the fighter Jack Johnson, who (according to legend) was refused passage. But it's more along the lines of "Alice's Restaurant", albeit more manic... an extended comic narrative presenting a fanciful explanation for why the ship hit that iceberg.
  #38  
Old 11-12-2015, 11:03 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Electric Light Orchestra did a version of it on their third album (released in 1973), which would fit that time frame. Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS5h8OXl0Q
The Who did it but I think it came out as a bonus track later.
  #39  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjepson View Post
That is in fact the title... and it does use the old Leadbelly song "The Titanic" as a jumping-off point, referring to the fighter Jack Johnson, who (according to legend) was refused passage. But it's more along the lines of "Alice's Restaurant", albeit more manic... an extended comic narrative presenting a fanciful explanation for why the ship hit that iceberg.
Brockett's version is deliberately ahistorical -- the ship sails from NY to the UK, for instance.

And I doubt you could lift 497 1/2 feet of rope.
  #40  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
And I doubt you could lift 497 1/2 feet of rope.
You ain't Jack Johnson!
  #41  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Made in Macau is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 650
Pinball by Brian Protheroe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuCqNVdxTc - it was played earlier this year in the soundtrack of a BBC comedy written by Danny Baker with music by Squeeze, and I hadn't thought of it in 40 years.
Cradle to Grave is the show and i recommend any Anglophiles to watch it when you get a chance.

MiM
  #42  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Soylent Juicy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) - Reunion
I completely forgot about this song until just a few months ago. I think someone on this board mentioned it and that triggered the memory of a 45 I had when I was really little, most likely purchased at a "rummage sale".

I can't remember what movie or TV show it was - a recent one, I know that - but they played a Cure song in the soundtrack. They were my favourite band in high school and I hadn't heard that song in years.
  #43  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:03 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,835
Just the other day, I was reminded of "Strike a Match and Light Another" by Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys.
  #44  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:57 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,185
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xij4BUAhzRs

Anyone remember the Fabulous Rhinestones "What a wonderful thing we have"?
  #45  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
CaptMurdock's Avatar
CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 2,043
Pandora gave me the following on a station of classic "album rock" tracks:

Uriah Heep: The Wizard

I vaguely remember my older sister playing something like this back in the Vietnam war days. It's a great tune, but I don't know what those background dancers are dancing to...

---

I had had the rhythm track to this song stuck in my head for years before I learned the name of the song and the artist:

My Little Red Book - Love.
  #46  
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 PM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Pandora gave me the following on a station of classic "album rock" tracks:





---

I had had the rhythm track to this song stuck in my head for years before I learned the name of the song and the artist:

My Little Red Book - Love.
Holy crap, that song takes me directly back to the after school dance in the gym, when I was in 9th grade!!! Haven't heard it in decades - written by Burt Bacharach??
  #47  
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Holy crap, that song takes me directly back to the after school dance in the gym, when I was in 9th grade!!! Haven't heard it in decades - written by Burt Bacharach??
Check out the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7Ywa668aw

As much as I love Arthur Lee, this is the best version. Burt said so too.
  #48  
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Sahirrnee's Avatar
Sahirrnee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Maryland
Posts: 9,446
Atomic Rooster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yO7l6TmIRI
  #49  
Old 12-04-2015, 11:11 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) - Reunion (I wish I had a nickel for every kid in school who almost passed out trying to sing that song [production trickery, it was]. When Billy Joel released "We Didn't Start The Fire," we all tried to substitute the words of one for the other. Neither version would work.)
I'm listening to that now; can't recall ever having heard it before. It also reminds me a lot of R.E.M.'s "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)", which was not studio trickery.

The death of Scott Weiland has led to a lot of discussion about Songs I Remember From My Youth, and as for the original post, in the meantime I Googled yet another Starcastle alumnus (drummer Stephen Tassler, in this case), and guess what kind of links I got THAT time? The whole first page was for a family practice physician in the Chicago suburbs, and yes, it's him.

In case you're wondering if they ever performed with Rush, the answer is yes. That must have been one of the more unusual backstage scenes in the history of rock & roll. They also did some shows with Boston, and I think there were some Boston/Rush/Starcastle triple bills, per their website.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 12-04-2015 at 11:13 PM.
  #50  
Old 12-04-2015, 11:14 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I was pretty oblivious to the Allman Brothers and ZZ Top back in the 70s and have a new appreciation for both.
ZZ Top performed in my town a few months ago. Didn't see the show, but my favorite moment in "Sharknado 2" was where they were extras. They were running around in a crowd scene on a subway.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017