Old 11-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Graham is just miffed that he wasn't immediately installed as AG. He had his little heart set on that position, and now he's just all bothered that it remains out of his reach.
Well, Lindsey knows the score... find out something on Mr Acting AG (I'm not bothering to learn his name just yet - if he goes 5 Scaramucci's I'll do so), feed him to the wolves while beating his breast, decrying the damage done to such a glorious and illustrious President. This will earn forgiveness and possible nominations, until the long knives are turned on him.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
... and therefore, the Trump Administration ends up financing the caravan...
That might literally be true. The odds are there isn't much other actual cash coming in (though as has been noted, left-leaning aid groups have been providing food and medicine and blankets and such).
Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Apparently some of them have been receiving payment from the Trump Administration:

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security is gathering intelligence from paid undercover informants inside the migrant caravan that is now reaching the California-Mexico border as well as monitoring the text messages of migrants, according to two DHS officials. ... It is not known how much money DHS is spending on the intelligence gathering inside the caravan. ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...aravan-n938416
Now a clip I caught on Hannity last night makes sense. It was supposedly one of the migrants yelling to the camera that Trump is right - this is an invasion! I thought, now there's an agent provocateur, trying to incite others and feeding Trump's fans exactly what they want to hear.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Sounds like an urban legend, like Warehouse 13 or Area 51.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Or Deep Space 9.
Or Highlander II?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Now a clip I caught on Hannity last night makes sense.
You can actually watch that clown?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Your move Lindsay

He just said that yesterday so we'll see if will actually stand up to Trump instead of backtracking like the sycophant little shit he is.
If Graham were any weaker, the President would be grabbing him.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
You can actually watch that clown?
For upwards of 10-15 seconds at a time. Then the gag reflex takes over.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

How hilarious would it be if Graham got the AG nod, then got his Senate seat sniped by a Democrat?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
How hilarious would it be if Graham got the AG nod, then got his Senate seat sniped by a Democrat?
Might happen in the next election cycle, although given how heavily gerrymandered most states are to favor electing Republicans even when the majority of the votes are for Democrats, it's unlikely. Prior to the next election, though, the governor appoints and, of course, the governor of SC is a Republican.

By the way, conservatives and Republicans? If the only way you can win a majority is by cheating, then you should probably rethink your "principles". Eventually, even cheating won't save you.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm no military historian, but when a force withdraws from their position when the adversary arrives...isn't that called retreat?
What is it called when done before the adversary arrives? "I left something in the fire"?

Last edited by Nava; 11-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:22 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Germany has banned 18 Saudis and stopped all arms sales to Saudi Arabia in the wake of the Khashogghi murder.
https://www.ft.com/content/a816dda8-...0-9cf212677a57

Donald Trump, on the other hand, defends his personal involvement with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and criticizes Iran (and Democrats) in the same fell swoop.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...djSbn9xrlyQ5yo

Of course Trump loves Saudi Arabia's strongman. Dishonest Don already complimented other thug dictators and openly avowed he wants to be just like them. Heck, he probably wishes he'd thought of this very way of getting rid of Acosta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
That would be true, you know, if the troops weren't in Texas while the caravan headed for Tijuana.

Trump built a mini-Maginot Line, and shockingly, the "opponent" simply went around it. Whodathunk?

The only crime of note reported in regards to the caravan and the administration's asinine response has been a rape. To wit: a US soldier is accused of raping another US soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
What is it called when done before the adversary arrives? "I left something in the fire"?

In this case: bonespurring.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Might happen in the next election cycle, although given how heavily gerrymandered most states are to favor electing Republicans even when the majority of the votes are for Democrats, it's unlikely. Prior to the next election, though, the governor appoints and, of course, the governor of SC is a Republican.

By the way, conservatives and Republicans? If the only way you can win a majority is by cheating, then you should probably rethink your "principles". Eventually, even cheating won't save you.
Nitpicking .... Senate seats aren't subject to gerrymandering -- their boundaries are fixed (ie, they're the boundaries of the state).
Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Nitpicking .... Senate seats aren't subject to gerrymandering -- their boundaries are fixed (ie, they're the boundaries of the state).
Although (constitution, blah, blah, blah) - it really has the effect of gerrymandering, particularly given the population differences.

Any stats on the relative state sizes now vs. 1787? I could look it up, but I'm on vacation.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Any stats on the relative state sizes now vs. 1787? I could look it up, but I'm on vacation.
In the 1790 census Pennsylvania (the 2nd largest state) had 6.3 and 7.4 times the population of the two smallest(*) states, Rhode Island and Delaware. In 2017 those factors were 12 and 14 respectively. And Pennsylvania is no longer the largest state (Calif's population is roughly three times Penn's); and in addition to Delaware there are six other states smaller than Rhode Island. California has 68 times the population of Wyoming.

(* - Georgia and Kentucky had smaller populations than Rhode Island if slaves are excluded.)

Last edited by septimus; 11-21-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 AM

It would be a fun exercise to see what state boundaries would look like if they were subject to the same partisan gerrymandering as congressional districts.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Although (constitution, blah, blah, blah) - it really has the effect of gerrymandering, particularly given the population differences.
If that's your point of view, then the entire world (not just the US) is gerrymandered, rendering the term rather meaningless.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
In the 1790 census Pennsylvania (the 2nd largest state) had 6.3 and 7.4 times the population of the two smallest(*) states, Rhode Island and Delaware. In 2017 those factors were 12 and 14 respectively. And Pennsylvania is no longer the largest state (Calif's population is roughly three times Penn's); and in addition to Delaware there are six other states smaller than Rhode Island. California has 68 times the population of Wyoming.

(* - Georgia and Kentucky had smaller populations than Rhode Island if slaves are excluded.)
Yeah, I wish there were a way to make some corrections to the Senate setup.

I teach US History to university students, and I understand very well why the framers of the Constitution chose to make one body of the Congress represent all states equally. I've read many documents from the Constitutional era including the Federalist Papers from cover to cover, as well as many of the anti-Federalist writings, and there's little doubt that these sorts of issues were carefully considered and heavily debated.

Still, I can't help think that the framers never quite envisioned a society where the largest state would have a population well over 50 times the size of the smallest state. In the first US census in 1790, the difference was just over 10 to 1, and in practical terms it was even smaller (about 7 to 1) because almost 40% of the population in the largest state (Virginia) were slaves with no voice in the political system. Even though the constitution was designed to create a confederation of states, with some consideration for treating them equally, that sort of discrepancy just violates my own sense of what is reasonable.

Americans in the 9 largest states make up just over 50% of the total national population, but have only 18 out of 100 senators. And this Senate imbalance has a knock-on effect in Presidential elections, giving smaller states proportionally more power in the electoral college system. California, with almost 40 million people, gets 55 electoral college votes for President. The 22 smallest states (actually 21 smallest plus the District of Columbia) combined have a population about the same as California, and together they get 95 electoral college votes.

Again, there were good reasons for adopting this system in the 1780s, but I think we could preserve some of the spirit of the system while making some adjustments for the massive size differences between states in modern America. Maybe set a maximum ratio (e.g., 10 to 1), and when states fall out side that, they get an extra Senator (if they're really large) or maybe lose a Senator (if they're really small).

I understand very well that this is never going to happen, not least because making it happen would require a Constitutional amendment, in which the very system we're trying to change would ensure that the change never happens. Each state has basically equal power when it comes to amending the Constitution, and no way are those small states going to vote against their own interests.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Thank you, mhendo, for the informative post!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Thank you, mhendo, for the informative post!
Double ditto that! Very interesting.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Why I just bet it's George Soros. After colluding with Hillary and Obama and the Russians, of course.
Funny, you mention that. For right wingers, it's always Soros.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 PM
SDSAB

John Roberts, Chief Justice of the United States, finally has enough of Trump's judge-bashing, and pushes back. Trump being Trump, he continues his peevish and ill-informed criticism of the Federal judiciary. MAGA!: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/polit...ary/index.html
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 PM

(bolding mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
Sorry Chief Justice John Roberts, but you do indeed have 'Obama judges,' and they have a much different point of view than the people who are charged with the safety of our country. It would be great if the 9th Circuit was indeed an 'independent judiciary,' but if it is ... are so many opposing view (on Border and Safety) cases filed there, and why are a vast number of those cases overturned. Please study the numbers, they are shocking. We need protection and security - these rulings are making our country unsafe! Very dangerous and unwise!
Roberts get minus 5 DKP :wink: for not immediately pointing out that judges are charged with the safety of our country, which depends on an independent judiciary.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 11-21-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
John Roberts, Chief Justice of the United States, finally has enough of Trump's judge-bashing, and pushes back. Trump being Trump, he continues his peevish and ill-informed criticism of the Federal judiciary. MAGA!: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/polit...ary/index.html
Trump clearly cannot count up to five...
Old 11-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
... For right wingers, it's always Soros.
For Facebook, too:

Quote:
Facebook admits targeting George Soros after he criticized company
Facebook Inc. admitted Wednesday that it asked an opposition-research company to investigate billionaire George Soros over his criticism of the social network.
In an internal memo released publicly late Wednesday, Elliot Schrage, Facebook’s outgoing head of communications and policy, said he was responsible for hiring the company, Definers Public Affairs ...

Definers later distributed a document suggesting Soros, a major donor to liberal causes, bankrolled the anti-Facebook campaign, playing into anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about Soros. ...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fa...any-2018-11-21

Nice for Trump when Mark Zuckerberg's efforts work to Trump's own advantage.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:51 PM

Today iDJiT's personal physician pisses me off. Can't he just sedate that buffoon and give us all a peaceful Thanksgiving?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Newsweek article: Donald Trump Says He's Most Thankful for Himself on Thanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsweek
Donald Trump said he was most thankful for himself on Thanksgiving as he spent the holiday weekend at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

The president was on a phone call with members of the media and the military early Thursday morning when one reporter asked him what he was “most thankful for” this year.
The article goes on to mention that former President Obama said that he was thankful for the future "generation of leaders" in remarks he made at a surprise appearance at a Chicago food bank.

As always, I'm not surprised that Trump demonstrates once again that he is a self-absorbed piece of shit -- I'm surprised that ~40% of the country still approves of him.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
As always, I'm not surprised that Trump demonstrates once again that he is a self-absorbed piece of shit -- I'm surprised that ~40% of the country still approves of him.

I'm not. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I can see the portion of the population who are self-absorbed pieces of shit being on the high side of 40%.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:48 PM
SDSAB

Most thankful for himself? Yeesh. There's more than one Thanksgiving turkey I can think of today.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 AM

I'mma let you all finish your Turkey Day dinners but I bet Trump doesn't realize that the pardoned Turkeys (Carrots and Peas) will be dead in about 6 months.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-at-all-985448
Old 11-23-2018, 04:33 AM

Speaking of Facebook and turkeys, I saw this on Facebook:
Quote:
The turkey has refused Trump's pardon and is now cooperating with Mueller
Awesome.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm thankful for the difference I've made.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I'm thankful for the difference I've made.
He's made a difference all right. It's nothing to be thankful for or proud of. He's too narcissistic to know it. What a loser.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:41 PM

Cable news people seem to have hit on a theme for describing Trump's current complaints about Chief Justice John Roberts, the Ninth Circuit Court, "Obama judges," the media, the Democrats, and everything else he's whining about this holiday weekend:

The holiday Trump is celebrating is not Thanksgiving----it's Festivus.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...vances-1228361
Old 11-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Cable news people seem to have hit on a theme for describing Trump's current complaints about Chief Justice John Roberts, the Ninth Circuit Court, "Obama judges," the media, the Democrats, and everything else he's whining about this holiday weekend:

The holiday Trump is celebrating is not Thanksgiving----it's Festivus.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...vances-1228361
I was actually explaining that Seinfeld episode to my dad yesterday to describe Trump and his Airing of Grievances.

Poor Donald. It's so unfair that the real world outside your dementia-addled narcissistic bubble doesn't suck up to you like you do to Putin. Job never suffered so much. Everybody says so. So unfair!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I was actually explaining that Seinfeld episode to my dad yesterday to describe Trump and his Airing of Grievances.

Poor Donald. It's so unfair that the real world outside your dementia-addled narcissistic bubble doesn't suck up to you like you do to Putin. Job never suffered so much. Everybody says so. So unfair!
I guess the Festivus reference is bound to occur to those who've seen Seinfeld, but the news people were really hitting it hard, today.

(How did your dad react?)

Anyway, Trump has certainly been a boon to writers on the psychology of narcissism. No matter what facet of the condition one is trying to describe, there's a ready-made example of Trump acting it out!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I guess the Festivus reference is bound to occur to those who've seen Seinfeld, but the news people were really hitting it hard, today.

(How did your dad react?)

Anyway, Trump has certainly been a boon to writers on the psychology of narcissism. No matter what facet of the condition one is trying to describe, there's a ready-made example of Trump acting it out!
Yep. Take your pick:
Quote:
The DSM-5 indicates that persons with NPD usually display some or all of the following symptoms, typically without the commensurate qualities or accomplishments:[6][9]
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing continual admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
  • Intensely envious of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder
Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 PM
SDSAB

Fits him like a glove.

I did online youth-protection training for the Boy Scouts recently, and the list of warning signs for bullying was also remarkably on the mark for Twitler.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Trump administration wants Supreme Court to take up transgender military ban now

Trump wants to skip over all those courts he's never heard of and take his ban on transgendered people serving in the armed forces directly to the Supreme Court.

The administration's explanation for this is that Obama's order allowing transgendered people to serve is creating such immediate problems in the armed forces that the issue can't wait.

No explanation is given why the Trump administration has waited two years before taking this step to address the emergency.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Trump administration wants Supreme Court to take up transgender military ban now

Trump wants to skip over all those courts he's never heard of and take his ban on transgendered people serving in the armed forces directly to the Supreme Court.

The administration's explanation for this is that Obama's order allowing transgendered people to serve is creating such immediate problems in the armed forces that the issue can't wait.

No explanation is given why the Trump administration has waited two years before taking this step to address the emergency.
It's taken all this time to catch up to Obama's golfing numbers. Trump can take a breather now and deal with less important matters.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM-5

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Needing continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
Unwilling to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
Intensely envious of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Pompous and arrogant demeanor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder
So, Donny Two-scoops has not only achieved NPD bingo, it's blackout bingo.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
You seem to be completely hung up on a trivial 'You said it. No I did not' argument. Meanwhile, you've been asked a couple of times to provide solid evidence to back up your claim regarding the caravan being funded by George Soros. Perhaps you can do that rather than pursue this pointless debate?
Here is the claim I made regarding Soros, from Post #5067:

Quote:
There's been no evidence of that. But there is evidence that the caravan is being helped by 1) the Mexican government, 2) an organization called Pueblos sin Fronteras The people you see wearing vests organizing things, and 3) Beto O'Rourke's failed campaign.

Given that the last two receive(d) money from Soros, I think it's safe to say that he is funding the caravan efforts other ways, as well.
That's a very gentle claim, and one I still stand by. I do think it is "safe to say" that money from Soros has helped fund the caravan. Did I claim he wrote a check to distantly for the purposes of helping the caravan? No. Do I believe ehe did that? No. I do think that his goals about immigration and the objective of the caravan are completely in alignment. And given that he funds the causes he believes in, that it would be odd if his dollars were not going to help the caravan. Here's some info that helps support that. To save you the time, I'm not claiming it is "proof" of anything and you are, of course, free to ignore it in part or totality. But if I had to bet if funding from Soros made it's way to help the caravan, I'd take that bet. Would you take the bet not he other side? If so, why do you think it more likely than not that his dollars would not have gone to help those in the caravan?

As a side note, I do not blame Soros for funding anything he might believe in. If I have a problem with his funding here (assuming he did) it is only to the extent that he he is trying to subvert the sovereignty of the U.S. by assisting a swarm of individuals that anything sentient being knows will, and does, contain gang members and those not eligible for asylum.

That's all I really have to say about Soros, but I'd be curious to hear your answer to me question.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Here's a good explanation of the alignment of Soros's desires and the caravan.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
As a side note, I do not blame Soros for funding anything he might believe in. If I have a problem with his funding here (assuming he did) it is only to the extent that he he is trying to subvert the sovereignty of the U.S. by assisting a swarm of individuals that anything sentient being knows will, and does, contain gang members and those not eligible for asylum.
The more I hear things like that the more then I think that Trump and his followers do admit that he is a failure on identifying those. Of curse the reason why to concentrate on possible gang members is to deny any chances to asylum seekers that deserve it to get in.

Quote:
That's all I really have to say about Soros, but I'd be curious to hear your answer to me question.
As I looked at the explanation from Snopes about the Beto campaign, calling what you showed "evidence" is a travesty. As it is the one that seeks to criminalize Soros just by association coming from World Nut News Daily and others. That message of hate failed to convince most voters for the house of representatives in the past election.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 11-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The bastard!
Quote:
Soros pledged Sept. 20, 2016, to invest up to $500 million in programs and companies benefiting migrants and refugees ‘fleeing life-threatening situations,’” WND recounted.

Last edited by Procrustus; 11-24-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't click your link (Soros gives to charity, Dog bites man — come back when you have Man bites dog, or Trump gives to charity). But, not recognizing your "news source," I did Google it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediabiasfactcheck.com review of onenewsnow
Right-wing, tending to Extreme

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: OneNewsNow is a news and opinion website with a very strong Christian Right bias. OneNewsNow publishes unscientific news stories and does not source to legitimate sources. They do post some serious news that is not related to politics, that is fairly balanced. (12/15/2016)
With thousands of different sources on the 'Web, I'm always curious how they're chosen. Is this a go-to source for you? Linked from another news source? Result of Google search? None of my business?

(For that matter, how reliable is mediabiasfactcheck.com ? I was led there by Google. Googling it in turn leads to generally favorable reviews except from right-wing outlets — hardly surprising of course since right-wing facts often fail under scrutiny from fact checkers.)
Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:

That's a very gentle claim, and one I still stand by. I do think it is "safe to say" that money from Soros has helped fund the caravan. Did I claim he wrote a check to distantly for the purposes of helping the caravan? No. Do I believe ehe did that? No. I do think that his goals about immigration and the objective of the caravan are completely in alignment. And given that he funds the causes he believes in, that it would be odd if his dollars were not going to help the caravan. Here's some info that helps support that. To save you the time, I'm not claiming it is "proof" of anything and you are, of course, free to ignore it in part or totality. But if I had to bet if funding from Soros made it's way to help the caravan, I'd take that bet. Would you take the bet not he other side? If so, why do you think it more likely than not that his dollars would not have gone to help those in the caravan?

Without belaboring the point, I would say that you've walked back the claim just a bit, but it's not worth arguing about. And, no, I would not take the bet that none of his dollars have made their way to the relief organizations assisting the caravan. But to say that 'giving money to a relief organization is funding the caravan' is more than a bit of a stretch, IMHO.

The Catholic Legal Immigration Network is among the groups noted by your cite that is also assisting the caravan. This Network, which has 330 programs across the country, certainly has received funding from a fair number of American Catholics. Are those good folks also trying to subvert the sovereignty of the United State? For that matter, is anybody who donates to a relief organization that gives aid to the people in the caravan trying to subvert the sovereignty of the United States?
Old 11-24-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

You're really, really bad at finding cites to back up your claims.

"Our goal is to present the day's news from a biblical perspective. We not only feature the latest breaking stories from across the United States and around the world, but also news of the challenges facing Christians in today's society."
Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
It's taken all this time to catch up to Obama's golfing numbers. Trump can take a breather now and deal with less important matters.
Give Trump credit. He passed all eight years of Obama's golfing numbers in his first year in office.

I feel it's no coincidence that Trump wants to bypass the rest of the federal court system right after he got Kavanaugh on the court. Trump probably now feels the Supreme Court will give him the amount of rubber stamping he wants.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Give Trump credit. He passed all eight years of Obama's golfing numbers in his first year in office....
Also, he was always at least twenty over Obama's best golf score!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
(bolding mine)Roberts get minus 5 DKP :wink: for not immediately pointing out that judges are charged with the safety of our country, which depends on an independent judiciary.
The problem is that everyone knows Trump is right. (No matter how much I hate to say it.) Judges are appointed specifically because they are expected to be partisan shills, and the public votes for representatives who will appoint partisan judges. The persistent abortion debate and the Kavanaugh hearing should be proof enough of that.

The linked article includes a quote, “that it may be more difficult to convince the public of justices' impartiality from politics.” Truer words were never spoken.