Old 08-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
One, refreshingly, not from the US:If only French law had permitted the waiter the means to defend himself ...
But we have no reason assume a nationality for the gunman.

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Wichita police arrest 14-year-old for pointing gun at girls outside school

Quote:
Davidson says the teen was among a group of five boys and six girls that got into an argument around 4 p.m. Thursday outside Woodman Elementary after leaving nearby Truesdell Middle School. A school employee called police after witnessing the teen pull out the gun and point it at the girls during the dispute. The school was temporarily on "lock out" while police rushed to the school to apprehend the teen.
Because that's the best way to win an argument.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
But we have no reason assume a nationality for the gunman.

You forgot to mention ethinicity along with the gun nut's and anti-liberal's nonsensical quoting of a statistic featuring the number 13.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
One, refreshingly, not from the US:If only French law had permitted the waiter the means to defend himself ...
We saw what happens when you bring a biting tongue and dismissive tone to a gunfight.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:10 AM

"Is it a toy?"

Woman sees a gun on her cousin's hip, and pulls it out, asking it if is a toy or real, and confirms herself by shooting her husband in the head, fatally wounding him.

She is being charged with a misdemeanor. And of course, the cousin is not held to any account whatsoever, it didn't say in the article, but I assume he gets his gun back, which actually puts this into "Positive Gun News" territory.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
which actually puts this into "Positive Gun News" territory.
I don't know. You better run that by the holy arbitrators of what is or isn't "Positive Gun News"
Old 08-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
"Is it a toy?"

Woman sees a gun on her cousin's hip, and pulls it out, asking it if is a toy or real, and confirms herself by shooting her husband in the head, fatally wounding him.

She is being charged with a misdemeanor. And of course, the cousin is not held to any account whatsoever, it didn't say in the article, but I assume he gets his gun back, which actually puts this into "Positive Gun News" territory.
I dunno. This strikes me more as 'I see an opportunity to kill my husband and escape a murder charge by pretending to be a moron.'

And she should have went with 'I thought it was a toy' rather than 'I wanted to see if was real or a toy'.

-God
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't know. You better run that by the holy arbitrators of what is or isn't "Positive Gun News"
I'm not sure that they even know anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I dunno. This strikes me more as 'I see an opportunity to kill my husband and escape a murder charge by pretending to be a moron.'

And she should have went with 'I thought it was a toy' rather than 'I wanted to see if was real or a toy'.
And that was my first thought too. I don't know whether it was really an accident or not, but that does set an interesting precedent that you can openly kill someone and only get charged with a first degree misdemeanor if you use a gun.

Hard to claim it was an accident when it is a knife.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Not if you employ the same logic. You can only know if it's a real knife if you stab someone.

-God
Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Knives don't kill people. People kill people.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am having trouble parsing "a handgun holstered in the waistband of a cousin." You can't holdster a gun in a waistband. Was the gun in a waistband, or in a holster? Not really the point of the post but if the cousin had the gun tucked into his waistband, it looks like idiocy runs in the family.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I've undoubtedly shared this before, but one of my fond D&D memories from college is when a couple of party members were having a spat (treasure division and who should get the magic item IIRC), and one rolled a critical hit with her sling against the other.

"It was an accident" she said. "I was cleaning my sling, and it went off."
Old 08-27-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
… I assume he gets his gun back, which actually puts this into "Positive Gun News" territory.
Not right away. If she is being charged with a bad mistake, the gun will be evidence, so the police will put it into their gunjail, probably in solitary, the poor thing.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I am having trouble parsing "a handgun holstered in the waistband of a cousin." You can't holdster a gun in a waistband. Was the gun in a waistband, or in a holster? Not really the point of the post but if the cousin had the gun tucked into his waistband, it looks like idiocy runs in the family.
Well, there are waistband gun holsters. Like the Kydex ones that clip onto your waistband and sit inside your pants.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Under Oregon's red flag law, the FBI took a guy's guns away and put him in twenty days involuntary mental health evaluation after he threatened to shoot up antifa protesters.
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...guns-away.html
Old 09-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Under Oregon's red flag law, the FBI took a guy's guns away and put him in twenty days involuntary mental health evaluation after he threatened to shoot up antifa protesters.
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...guns-away.html
Feels like this should be in the Positive Gun News thread - those guys are in favor of crazy folks not having guns, right?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Not right away. If she is being charged with a bad mistake, the gun will be evidence, so the police will put it into their gunjail, probably in solitary, the poor thing.
This reminds me of an argument I saw about the red flag laws. It was that if you take the guns, they have to be locked up somewhere and you would have to hire someone (a big hardship, of course) to take care of them so they wouldn't rust. A gun could *gasp* die! Won't someone think of the guns?
Old 09-03-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Here's what a well-regulated militia is for:
Quote:
An armed group of people rushed the door of a Popeyes Chicken restaurant in southeast Houston Monday night demanding chicken sandwiches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Feels like this should be in the Positive Gun News thread - those guys are in favor of crazy folks not having guns, right?
Definitely something odd going on over there - they're presenting cases of the mentally ill being denied guns, despite their claimed constitutional rights, as positive now, in actual agreement with us. Maybe we really are seeing a rare case of ignorance being successfully fought?

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 09-03-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:15 AM

I'm confused - how would waving a gun at a Popeye's employee magically make more chicken sandwiches appear? Do they think the staff - whose job is literally to sell chicken sandwiches - are secretly hoarding chicken sandwiches because of reasons?

I know - crazy people with guns. Can't live with them, can't take their guns away.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Perhaps one day "owning more than one gun" will be judged "mentally incompetent" and that person's guns will be taken away?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm confused - how would waving a gun at a Popeye's employee magically make more chicken sandwiches appear? Do they think the staff - whose job is literally to sell chicken sandwiches - are secretly hoarding chicken sandwiches because of reasons?

I bet they think the employees were hiding the chicken sandwiches in the basement.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I bet they think the employees were hiding the chicken sandwiches in the basement.
Where they keep the children they're sexually abusing
Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

A mother teaching her teenage son to drive was reportedly shot dead during a road rage incident in Wisconsin.
Quote:
"This stemmed from a minor accident that occurred. The passenger of the vehicle that was hit got out and confronted the driver of the striking vehicle," police said.

"Words were exchanged and the driving of the striking vehicle pulled out a firearm and shot the passenger, who is a 46-year-old female.

"The suspect fled the scene and witnesses drove the victim to a local hospital.

"Life-saving measures were done upon her arrival, however, she passed away. A suspect has been arrested in connection to this incident."
Old 09-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Popeyes customer pulls a gun after being told there were no more chicken sandwiches
Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM

ARGUMENT BETWEEN WEST VIRIGINIA PASTORS' WIVES ENDS WITH GUNFIRE IN CHURCH PARKING LOT

Quote:
A pastor's wife in West Virginia has been charged with reckless endangerment after allegedly firing a gun in a church parking lot.

Melinda Frye Toney, 44, is accused of pulling out a pistol that accidentally discharged during an argument with another pastor's wife at New Life Apostolic Church in Oak Hill on May 11.

Toney is the wife of New Life pastor Earl Toney while the other woman, Lori Haywood, is married to New Life's youth pastor, David Haywood.
I guess in West Virginia it's Do Unto Others Before They Do It To You.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Pulls out a gun during an argument. Check.
Gun "accidentally" discharges. Bull-fucking-shit.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
ARGUMENT BETWEEN WEST VIRIGINIA PASTORS' WIVES ENDS WITH GUNFIRE IN CHURCH PARKING LOT

I guess in West Virginia it's Do Unto Others Before They Do It To You.

Yeah. It's right there in the Book of Colt, Chapter 4, Verse 5.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Did this one make the list yet?

"FLORIDA MAN WITH CONCEALED GUN IN HIS WAISTBAND SHOT HIMSELF WHEN HE TOOK IT OUT"
https://www.newsweek.com/florida-man...imself-1432308

According to the article, our Florida man, Arnel Villarreal, was a visitor to the Summerlin Academy campus in Barstow, Florida and was waiting in his car in the visitor parking lot of the school for a family member who was on campus.

Summerlin Academy (sometimes identified as Summerlin Institute) https://polkschoolsfl.com/wp-content...linAcademy.pdf
is a "Polk County Public School of Choice Where Rigorous Academics are Taught in a Military-Structured Environment".

Villarreal (39) has a CCL in Florida which requires one to be a citizen, be 21, have no physical condition which stops them from safely handling a firearm, have no "prohibited" legal convictions, to not be a chronic or habitual user of alcohol or other substances, and to show competency by taking a safety training course.

I'm unsure of what Florida's 'guns on school property' stand is and don't feel like looking it up.

So Villareal shot himself in the thigh while taking his gun from his waistband to store in his car.

While this is just a "common", "accidental discharge", it's very disconcerting that a presumably normal guy in a normal situation with a probable military interest and mandatory training would make such a simple error.

It's just stupid, so it qualifies to be here.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 AM

https://abc13.com/ex-marine-given-hi...-case/5519463/

"Ex-Marine charged over weapons found in his truck: police
A former Marine is in jail after being accused of having an illegal silencer on a semi-automatic weapon, tactical gear and papers about school shootings and death.

Rick Montealvo, 28, is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, a felony. Houston police officers stopped him in north Houston early Thursday morning for not having a license plate on his truck."

Found in the truck was and AR-15, a "suppressor" (silencer) with its serial number obscured and that was also "unregistered", and "sniper canopy, camouflage tactical gear, military screen used for hiding from aircraft, and troubling literature about death and school shootings that read, "I'm the white boy who shoots up schools."

It's unclear to me if the the gear described as "canopy", "camouflage tactical gear" and "military screen" is one item, two items, or several items.

Mr Montealvo has an "extensive documented history of mental illness" and also has "issues and is supposed to be on medication" according to a relative.

Mr Montealvo says he needs this stuff because he works in "private security".

The public defender asked for a $2,000 bond.
The state asked for more due to Mr Montealvo's 'troubling history'.
Bond was set at $200,000.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
https://abc13.com/ex-marine-given-hi...-case/5519463/

"Ex-Marine charged over weapons found in his truck: police
A former Marine is in jail after being accused of having an illegal silencer on a semi-automatic weapon, tactical gear and papers about school shootings and death.

Rick Montealvo, 28, is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, a felony. Houston police officers stopped him in north Houston early Thursday morning for not having a license plate on his truck."

Found in the truck was and AR-15, a "suppressor" (silencer) with its serial number obscured and that was also "unregistered", and "sniper canopy, camouflage tactical gear, military screen used for hiding from aircraft, and troubling literature about death and school shootings that read, "I'm the white boy who shoots up schools."

It's unclear to me if the the gear described as "canopy", "camouflage tactical gear" and "military screen" is one item, two items, or several items.

Mr Montealvo has an "extensive documented history of mental illness" and also has "issues and is supposed to be on medication" according to a relative.

Mr Montealvo says he needs this stuff because he works in "private security".

The public defender asked for a $2,000 bond.
The state asked for more due to Mr Montealvo's 'troubling history'.
Bond was set at $200,000.
Why is this "stupid"? There are a lot of red flags there - it's good news that he was stopped.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

It would be even better news if he never had access to tools of mass murder, and didn't have to be stopped just barely in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
So Villareal shot himself in the thigh while taking his gun from his waistband to store in his car.

While this is just a "common", "accidental discharge", it's very disconcerting that a presumably normal guy in a normal situation with a probable military interest and mandatory training would make such a simple error.
That's exactly the kind of Good Guy we're constantly being told would make a great school guardian.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 09-06-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Why is this "stupid"? There are a lot of red flags there - it's good news that he was stopped.
I'd invite you to post that incident to the Positive gun news thread, but you'd probably be accused of trolling.

I mean, they took away guns from a veteran, that's not good for gun owners.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I'd invite you to post that incident to the Positive gun news thread, but you'd probably be accused of trolling.

I mean, they took away guns from a veteran, that's not good for gun owners.
><le sigh>

There are many, many incidents of people using guns stupidly. There are also many, many incidents of people using guns correctly and/or legitimately. There are also many, many incidents involving guns that don't obviously fall into the remit of either thread. A crazy person had a gun and was potentially planning to do something bad with it. He was caught, disarmed and detained before he did anything. There are elements of good and bad in that story, but nothing either overtly stupid nor overtly positive. Why muddy the waters just for the sake of snark?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM

More news from Texas, where they obviously need no gun regulations:

Man accidentally shoots himself in groin at gun club in Guadalupe County

Quote:
A Guadalupe County man who accidentally shot himself in the testicle while unsuccessfully trying to holster his weapon is recovering in a San Antonio hospital.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
More news from Texas, where they obviously need no gun regulations:

Man accidentally shoots himself in groin at gun club in Guadalupe County

To be fair, what regulation could possibly be enforced to make someone NOT point a loaded piece at his own junk when hostering?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
To be fair, what regulation could possibly be enforced to make someone NOT point a loaded piece at his own junk when hostering?
Well, good point. I was referring to the fact that Texas enacted 8 new gun regs 9/1/19.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:57 PM

There did not seem to be a thread on this. I wanted to put the link in the Positive Gun News thread, but I suspect I would be accused of trolling.
San Francisco Supervisor Catherine Stefani created a stir this week, winning unanimous passage of a resolution to label the NRA a “domestic terrorist organization,” citing the gun lobby’s violent rhetoric and promotion of loose gun laws.
It was not a difficult lift at all here in San Francisco. As we (say) here: As San Francisco goes so goes California and the rest of the nation. The NRA describes what I’m doing as a reckless “assault.” What I say is that the NRA’s reckless assault on America is about to come to an end. They are more fringe and more toxic than ever and the American people have had enough.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
There did not seem to be a thread on this. I wanted to put the link in the Positive Gun News thread, but I suspect I would be accused of trolling.
San Francisco Supervisor Catherine Stefani created a stir this week, winning unanimous passage of a resolution to label the NRA a “domestic terrorist organization,” citing the gun lobby’s violent rhetoric and promotion of loose gun laws.
It was not a difficult lift at all here in San Francisco. As we (say) here: As San Francisco goes so goes California and the rest of the nation. The NRA describes what I’m doing as a reckless “assault.” What I say is that the NRA’s reckless assault on America is about to come to an end. They are more fringe and more toxic than ever and the American people have had enough.
It's only Positive Gun News if a criminal gets killed. Unless a cop shoots a criminal, in which case it's NOT Positive gun news for some reason.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Let's see...private property...owner requests people not open carry there..so what do you do? You say "fuck you" to them and carry your penile replacement around proudly because...well, because what you want trumps literally every other concern on the planet evidently.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well, I definitely think that this qualifies as stupid gun news.

I love San Francisco. My wife's originally from there, and we visit at least a couple of times a year. But lots of people in that city are fantastic at meaningless, pointless posturing, and this is a perfect example. They have a massive homeless crisis, housing affordability is a nightmare, and they're more interested in a gesture that does almost nothing but express outrage. About the only concrete part of this resolution is a section that aims to deny city contracts to organizations with ties to the NRA, and that will almost certainly be found to violate the Constitution.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Well, I definitely think that this qualifies as stupid gun news.

I love San Francisco. My wife's originally from there, and we visit at least a couple of times a year. But lots of people in that city are fantastic at meaningless, pointless posturing, and this is a perfect example. They have a massive homeless crisis, housing affordability is a nightmare, and they're more interested in a gesture that does almost nothing but express outrage. About the only concrete part of this resolution is a section that aims to deny city contracts to organizations with ties to the NRA, and that will almost certainly be found to violate the Constitution.
It's already a pain in the ass for a vendor to be 'approved' by the City, what with the stupid hoops through which a company is supposed to jump to be allowed to exchange things for money with CCSF. This makes a lot of purchases more costly than is another entity made the purchase.

And it is ultimately meaningless. If someone is the sole source for repair parts or tech support, and that source does not care to provide same-sex benefits to all worldwide employees, then we use resellers. Who perform one function- after being approved by the City, they may now buy whatever we need from whoever has it, then resell it to the City- at greatly increased markup.

So, yes, stupid posturing is all this is. And the City will be paying legal fees to defend this posturing. SMH.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
When officers arrived the woman told them she was driving northbound on I-435 near Worlds of Fun and honked at a vehicle driving slowly in front of her while the driver texted.

The driver then then cut her off and began driving 45 miles an hour before the driver pulled out a gun and shot once, she told police.

The victim, who also had a gun, then fired several shots back at the vehicle before pulling off the road and calling police, according to Kansas City police.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
Which one is the good guy in this one?

Maybe I should post it over in Positive Gun News, since I guess the woman gets credit for a DGU, even though the gun wasn't killed/stopped?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 PM

I guess the good gun news is that no guns were injured in this fight between two motor vehicles.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 AM

If we were allowed to have guns mounted to our cars, think of how many road rage incidents would be avoided? A society with armed cars is a polite society!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I guess the good gun news is that no guns were injured in this fight between two motor vehicles.
Is it time for a "Stupid Cars and Swimming Pools News of the Day" thread?
Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Colt has announced they will stop manufacturing AR-15s due to falling sales
https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...-of-ar-15s/amp
Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Wait ... isn't that Positive Gun News?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Wait ... isn't that Positive Gun News?
I couldn't find that thread.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:14 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Dallas man accused of fatally shooting burglar and going back to bed before calling 911
James Michael Meyer, 72, is charged with murder in the Thursday morning incident, which took place in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue in Old East Dallas.
Quote:
A Dallas man is accused of fatally shooting a burglar outside his Old East Dallas home Thursday and going back to bed before calling police nearly two hours later.

James Michael Meyer, 72, has been charged with murder. He was in the Dallas County Jail in lieu of $150,000 bail Friday evening.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, officers were dispatched at 7:04 a.m. on a home invasion call in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue, near Interstate 30 and Grand Avenue, where they found the body of an unknown male face down in a park behind the home.

Dallas-Fire Rescue workers noted that blood on the body was dry and eventually determined that the person had been dead for some time.

Meyer told police that he had been awakened about 5 a.m. by noise outside and saw someone trying to break into his storage shed with a pickax when he looked through the window, the affidavit said.

Meyer said he grabbed his handgun and chambered a round, then came out of his home yelling at the person to stop what he was doing and not come any closer or else he'd shoot.

Instead, he told police, the person took several steps toward him, so he fired his gun, according to the affidavit.

At that point, the burglar dropped the pickax and ran toward the park.

Meyer said he fired an additional shot "into the night" in the direction of the park, even though "from the suspect's accounts, the threat of serious bodily injury against him was over when the complainant dropped the pickax and ran off," the affidavit said.

Meyer said he didn't know whether he had struck the person, so he went back to bed.

As the sun began to rise, Meyer again looked outside and saw "a black bag" in the park. Upon closer inspection, he found the individual lying face down in the park.

Meyer's wife called an attorney for advice before Meyer called 911, the affidavit said.

According to the affidavit, he refused to answer the dispatcher's questions, saying repeatedly that he was the victim of a crime and that medical assistance was needed.

When investigators couldn't find any spent shell casings, Meyer told them he had thrown them in the trash.

Neighbors told investigators that they'd heard three gunshots about 5:15 a.m., contradicting Meyer's account of the number of shots fired.
Shoot at somebody ... then go back to bed for a couple hours before calling the cops? What the living f*ck?!?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
Dallas man accused of fatally shooting burglar and going back to bed before calling 911
James Michael Meyer, 72, is charged with murder in the Thursday morning incident, which took place in the 5400 block of Philip Avenue in Old East Dallas.

Shoot at somebody ... then go back to bed for a couple hours before calling the cops? What the living f*ck?!?
In that neighborhood, I can see it. Not the best neighborhood in Dallas. Probably thought he missed him completely. Old guy may have had warrants, be a felon in possession, or other reasons he didn't want to get Johnny Law involved. The whole thing may not have been a case of burglar v. homeowner at all.

Dumb thing to do, but hardly unusual in a lot of places. Thing is, if he was going to leave things as a minor mystery for law enforcement to solve, calling the cops on himself 4 hours later is not the way to go about it.

Further, how does Dallas PD know that the holes in the alleged burglar came from the homeowner's weapon? Ballistics? Big blood trail from old guy's shed to the place where the body was discovered?