Old 08-20-2018, 06:10 PM

I couldn’t get through the second episode, it just feels like a Futurama retread.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Uh yeah, the ending was a big WTF?

SPOILER:
Elfo dies!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:25 PM

They missed a good joke though near the end.

SPOILER:
When she said she'd wish she could see Elfo one more time, they should've had his corpse float by.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Kind of weak overall, but I thought it ended strong.

There's also a crazy easter egg in the last episode, when Luci is rewinding the crystal ball.

SPOILER:
There's a brief image of the Futarama gang from the episode where they were traveling through time in the Professor's forward-only time machine. That means Disenchanted is somewhere in Futurama's far future (or possibly past, but that seems less likely)!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:05 AM

There's a brief post-credits scene at the end of ep 10.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

This show improved a lot as it went and I think that is totally reasonable. I will definitely watch the second half of the season when it hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
There's a brief post-credits scene at the end of ep 10.
Yep, looks to be important.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:53 PM

Interesting. Easy to miss because it is squeezed between the American credits and the furren credits.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Kind of weak overall, but I thought it ended strong.

There's also a crazy easter egg in the last episode, when Luci is rewinding the crystal ball.
Re: your spoiler:
SPOILER:
Our future and their past is possible. When Fry went into the cryo chamber in 1999, and the world sped up in the window behind him, as I recall at one point New York was blasted to bits by flying saucers. Then trees grew, and a castle popped up. The castle was then blasted by the saucers, and New New York was built in the aftermath. So, maybe it's in that middle period?

Anyway, I liked Disenchantment, though not as much as Futurama, and I'm looking forward to next "part". I love the background jokes, and the obvious names of the elves never fail to crack me up. "Elves never leave!" "What about Leaveo?" "Never speak to me of Leaveo!" And, "If you look up 'elf' in the dictionary, there's a picture of my cousin Examplo!" And the shocked expressions of Shocko.

Last edited by Max Torque; 08-22-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Anyway, I liked Disenchantment, though not as much as Futurama, and I'm looking forward to next "part". I love the background jokes, and the obvious names of the elves never fail to crack me up. "Elves never leave!" "What about Leaveo?" "Never speak to me of Leaveo!" And, "If you look up 'elf' in the dictionary, there's a picture of my cousin Examplo!" And the shocked expressions of Shocko.
I liked that too. They're like a twisted parody of the Smurfs.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:46 PM

It was a cheap joke, but Shocko going "whaaaaaa?" got a laugh out of me every single time.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Well, I gave it until episode 3. Not even remotely funny enough to continue.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM

It's not as good as Futurama, and honestly if it wasn't on Netflix, I'd probably have forgotten to watch about it halfway through. Regardless, It's OK and I don't regret watching.

One thing I thought was clever- when Bean is wrestling with her moral dilemma in episode 9, Luci tells her to follow her heart. Sounds good, but remember what Luci is- she's by nature incapable of giving good advice...
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

By the way....Luci (which I assume is short for "Lucifer") just has one eye, right? I mean, we never see two, and when he first appears, there's just one eye looking out of the curse-box. He is in side view rather than three-quarter view like all the other characters, but there's never an indication that he has a second eye. Just one, right?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Yeah, she seems to be two-dimensional, or some variant. she's always seen in silhouette because she is one. In fact, she sometimes interacts directly with shadows.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:19 PM

I started watching it again (starting with ep 3 because the first 2 were crap) because I was bored and have no imagination or decision making skills. I think my new favorite minor character is Jester. His voice cracks me up. Oh no!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
By the way....Luci (which I assume is short for "Lucifer") just has one eye, right? I mean, we never see two, and when he first appears, there's just one eye looking out of the curse-box. He is in side view rather than three-quarter view like all the other characters, but there's never an indication that he has a second eye. Just one, right?
I believe at one point he tells Bean to "look into my eye," so yep.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Didn't make it through even the first episode. Boring.
Even with the obligatory fan service in Ep. 1?

I just finished and am waiting with anticipation for the next 10. I like it better than most comedy series out there, but that's a low bar. Luci is my favorite character.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:22 PM

The series did get stronger as it went on. Eps 8-10 were very good.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 AM

Just finished and it really did take until those last few for it to really take off.

Do we really need to spoiler at this point? Since others are I will ... Guessing where it goes from here -
SPOILER:
I think we can assume that the kingdom's citizens don't all stay stoned forever and that Elfo gets revived. Elfo's body was I think picked up by Tess. Who saw and knows the truth(s). And Bean's drug vision was more one of the future as Tess and Elfo do end up in love.

What will Bean's powers-to-be be?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Why does Groening use the same look for the characters in everything he does? It's not as if he's drawing them and is limited by his own artistic abilities. He has a team of artists who could draw anything, but he always has them draw the same things. It prevents me from seeing it as anything other than The Simpsons in a different setting.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
Why does Groening use the same look for the characters in everything he does? It's not as if he's drawing them and is limited by his own artistic abilities. He has a team of artists who could draw anything, but he always has them draw the same things. It prevents me from seeing it as anything other than The Simpsons in a different setting.
He has built great brand awareness with the Simpsons and Futurama, and there is value in carrying that brand into other series. One look at this and you can tell it's Matt Groening, not some generic cartoon.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Until I'm told otherwise, I guess I'll spoilerbox:
SPOILER:
I'm not sure how everyone will get revived, but surely they will. Possibly even the people of Cremorrah. It appears that Dagmar is from Maru, or is at least allied with them in some way, because the potion that she used to stone everyone in Dreamland looks to be the same thing that was used against Cremorrah. Derek is still alive and unstoned somewhere, so I'm sure season 2 will have Zog getting together with him as they attempt to put Dreamland back together, in an "oh yeah, you're still here" kind of way.

One question I still have is, who was Big Joe working for? It isn't Maru (they sent the assassin to protect the vial), but there's nobody left in Cremorrah, and you'd think he'd know where Cremorrah was if he was allied with them. So, it's someone or something else.

Another question from an earlier episode: I think it was in episode 4, when Elfo is stomping down to where Odval and Sorcerio are having their diplomatic orgy thing, there's a bit where someone scampers quickly by in the background. It's too dark for me to see who it is. Anyone?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I liked it, and liked it more upon watching it again. I often to have a show on I am not concentrating on while I am doing something else.

There is just an amazing amount of work that goes into a cartoon, so they can sneak in a lot of fun little details. Did everyone see the "lisa" elf? Not sure if that was mentioned and do not want to read from the start.

There is a scene where Bean is an executioner where you can see about 150 people in the background. They are all clear and fully drawn if you pause. There are a lot of twins, triplets and quadruplets in Dreamland. Again what a lot of work for a second or so.

Here is a question for the wisdom of the dope. One of the castle towers has an elaborate wooden cage built around it. Why? It is a very deliberate feature, but is never mentioned.

Last edited by Mikemike2; 08-27-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:

One thing I explicitly noticed on Disenchantment--the characters have 5 fingers.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, not all of them; I noticed the other day that Chazz, and I presume the other Dankmire characters, only has three: two fingers and a thumb.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:34 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
You mean like Disney, Warner Brothers, Seth MacFarlane, and others? (Granted that some Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons are stylistically different, but most share a similar look.) As has been said, it's branding. You immediately know it's Groening, and if you liked his other series you may be inclined to watch on that basis alone.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Well, not all of them; I noticed the other day that Chazz, and I presume the other Dankmire characters, only has three: two fingers and a thumb.
And the elves have four.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
There is a scene where Bean is an executioner where you can see about 150 people in the background. They are all clear and fully drawn if you pause. There are a lot of twins, triplets and quadruplets in Dreamland. Again what a lot of work for a second or so.
That would have been a lot of work 30 years ago, nowadays not so much.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-27-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 PM

I watched it over the course of a week. It was no better than ok at its high points. I watched all 10 episodes trying to give things a chance to improve, but they didn't. I don't know if I will bother with any new episodes.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
As has been said, it's branding.
Not just branding - it's his style. Unless there's some significant reason to change it, major changes shouldn't be expected. Incremental differences as they improve or get access to new media, yes, but significant differences, no. Honestly, the difference between Simpsons and Futurama's colouring is a shockingly large change, to my eye.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Here is a question for the wisdom of the dope. One of the castle towers has an elaborate wooden cage built around it. Why? It is a very deliberate feature, but is never mentioned.
I don't know why, but that's the wizard's tower.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 AM

Could be the magical equivalent of a Faraday Cage.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 AM

It's a pretty classic fantasy design. I've seen it before.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Looking at a still, I see there is something like a lightning rod on top. So the cage is probably metal, and I'm guessing some sort of device to power the wizard's experiments. A lot of detail for a device that has not even be used yet after one season.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
It's a pretty classic fantasy design. I've seen it before.
I don't know that I've seen that particular design used before, but I agree that a wizard's tower, if part of a larger castle, is classically distinct in appearance so that you know Here Lives A Wizard.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
A lot of detail for a device that has not even be used yet after one season.
We're talking about the same creator who placed the shadow of Nibbler in the pilot of Futurama for a payoff in the 3rd season, right?

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-29-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
We're talking about the same creator who placed the shadow of Nibbler in the pilot of Futurama for a payoff in the 3rd season, right?
And did a call back to the draw full of wires of various sizes several seasons later.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Not just branding - it's his style. Unless there's some significant reason to change it, major changes shouldn't be expected.
It's been working for him for over forty years (Life in Hell started in 1977) so I doubt he's going to change it now.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
And did a call back to the draw full of wires of various sizes several seasons later.
Was Groening the one responsible for all that or was it the writers? Groening is no more responsible for everything on the shows he creates than Seth Mcfarlane is for his shows.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Another question from an earlier episode: I think it was in episode 4, when Elfo is stomping down to where Odval and Sorcerio are having their diplomatic orgy thing, there's a bit where someone scampers quickly by in the background. It's too dark for me to see who it is. Anyone?
Here's a theory.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Was Groening the one responsible for all that or was it the writers? Groening is no more responsible for everything on the shows he creates than Seth Mcfarlane is for his shows.
Well if not Groening than some of the writing staff. There are some common names between Disenchanted and Futurama.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that did not go the way I thought (actually I'm not sure what I thought, but it was a surprise)
I did not like as much as Futurama, but I do not regret watching (esp since it didn't cost me more than not watching), and will watch the next season.

Whose arm besides Tess' do we see in the post credit scene? (Bean's?)

Brian
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
One suspects the broad arc and the details that will be important to that arc (as well as the key aspects of the characters' personalities and growth) come from the head writer if not Groening himself. The many other details that are not important for the arc and that support it, the everything else, that is lower level staff.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
One thing I explicitly noticed on Disenchantment--the characters have 5 fingers.
i noticed this too!
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM

Watched the first season spread out over the long holiday weekend. After the first few episodes, I thought the show might just be a generic sendup of fantasy genre tropes, but they added world-building and backstory and it looks like there's some depth there after the revelations of the last few episodes.

The show's okay, but it's no Futurama. I can't really get behind the main character of Bean, the Teenage Alcoholic. Also, while I consider Matt Groening one of the most important television creators of the past thirty years, his influence has so saturated the pop culture landscape that Disenchanted has a "been there, done that" feel.

Last edited by bmoak; 09-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:35 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

The Mrs. and I checked out the first two episodes this past weekend, and I can't say we were inspired to take it further than that. There were some funny moments, but not enough of them to sustain our interest. I wonder how much involvement Groening had with the whole project.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Wow, that did not go the way I thought (actually I'm not sure what I thought, but it was a surprise)
I did not like as much as Futurama, but I do not regret watching (esp since it didn't cost me more than not watching), and will watch the next season.

Whose arm besides Tess' do we see in the post credit scene? (Bean's?)

Brian
I don't think Tess was involved. If you look around the net, you can find some freeze-frames of the closing scene of Elfo being pulled from the water. The person on the right of the screen appears to have scales below the waist, which suggests that it's a mermaid. No idea who the other person is; I was thinking it might be Mop Girl, who appears so frequently that I thought there had to be some reason for it, but it doesn't appear to be her. Both people who pull Elfo from the water have five fingers.

Something else I noticed last night, rewatching episode 5: when Hansel and Gretel bring Elfo inside, there's a brief shot of Gretel stirring her tea that has to be a reference to the movie Get Out.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

And I forgot something else I was going to post: I don't know if this is significant, but the magical "zap" that Bean gets from the crystal ball thing in episode 10 looks the same as the "zap" from the enchantress in Maru when she made Luci hide in Bean's mouth in episode 3. So, that's another possible link between Bean, Dagmar, and Maru.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
The Mrs. and I checked out the first two episodes this past weekend, and I can't say we were inspired to take it further than that. There were some funny moments, but not enough of them to sustain our interest. I wonder how much involvement Groening had with the whole project.
It really doesn't pick up until episode 7, so if bored at some point get 3-6 out of the way and then hopefully enjoy 7-10.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 AM

Disenchantment is back today.