Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Favorite pizza toppings are opinions.
Racism and sexism are trollery.
Only when it’s actually racist or sexist, which is pretty uncommon, and even then, that doesn’t make someone a “troll”. Just because you don’t like what certain people think doesn’t mean they are a “troll”.

And you guys have played out the racism and sexism allegations to the point that the terms are almost meaningless.

Have a problem with what a female says or does? Sexist.

Have a problem with something a person of color says or does? Racist.
  #52  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,660
Oh my god can you please not feed the troll in a thread about why we shouldn't feed trolls
  #53  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 AM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Only when it’s actually racist or sexist, which is pretty uncommon, and even then, that doesn’t make someone a “troll”. Just because you don’t like what certain people think doesn’t mean they are a “troll”.

And you guys have played out the racism and sexism allegations to the point that the terms are almost meaningless.

Have a problem with what a female says or does? Sexist.

Have a problem with something a person of color says or does? Racist.
Say something sexist or racist?: Bigot.

It never ends.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #54  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:55 AM
tricoteuse is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Oh my god can you please not feed the troll in a thread about why we shouldn't feed trolls
I would rather talk about pizza.

As a middle-aged woman and mother of two I should say that my favorite toppings are all veggy with lowfat cheese and cauliflower crust, but the hell with that. I want pepperoni and extra cheese and an order of breadsticks all for me.

Last edited by tricoteuse; 09-20-2019 at 08:57 AM.
  #55  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:12 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,159
Pepperoni kicks ass.
  #56  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Have a problem with what a female says or does? Sexist.
Gosh, I always value the opinions of men who call women "females", especially when it comes to what is and isn't sexist.

Oh, wait, no, that's not right. The opposite thing. I don't pay the misogynist fucks any heed at all.
  #57  
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Gosh, I always value the opinions of men who call women "females", especially when it comes to what is and isn't sexist.

Oh, wait, no, that's not right. The opposite thing. I don't pay the misogynist fucks any heed at all.
Exhibit A ^
  #58  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Oh my god can you please not feed the troll in a thread about why we shouldn't feed trolls
Chillax my dude.
  #59  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Trancephalic's Avatar
Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,011
Pizzas are just open-faced calzones
  #60  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Chillax my dude.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #61  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Pizzas are just open-faced calzones
Calzones are a weird thing. When you look at them, they just look like bread. Let's say you ordered one without mushrooms. How would you know if they got it right without taking a bite? Man, that's really rolling the dice.
  #62  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Calzones are a weird thing. When you look at them, they just look like bread. Let's say you ordered one without mushrooms. How would you know if they got it right without taking a bite? Man, that's really rolling the dice.
Which only adds insult to injury because now you have 2nd degree burns in your mouth.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #63  
Old 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Oh my god can you please not feed the troll in a thread about why we shouldn't feed trolls
Yo dawg I herd u liek trolls so we fed the trolls in the thread about feeding trolls so you can correct someone on the internet for correcting someone on the internet.
  #64  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM
tricoteuse is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Calzones are a weird thing. When you look at them, they just look like bread. Let's say you ordered one without mushrooms. How would you know if they got it right without taking a bite? Man, that's really rolling the dice.
That's when you cut it open and pick through with a fork, looking for any scrap of mushroom or onion or the evil green pepper. Then you pick out all the pepperoni and sausage and eat them and leave the cheese and crust and complain about how there was nothing good in that calzone.

Wait sorry, that was my ex husband who did that.

But then I got to eat the cheese and crust so that was OK.
  #65  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
That's when you cut it open and pick through with a fork, looking for any scrap of mushroom or onion or the evil green pepper. Then you pick out all the pepperoni and sausage and eat them and leave the cheese and crust and complain about how there was nothing good in that calzone.

Wait sorry, that was my ex husband who did that.

But then I got to eat the cheese and crust so that was OK.
Wait, he made you eat his table scraps? What an a-hole! No wonder you left him.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #66  
Old 09-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,376
I’m still waiting for Marvel to make a comic book about the spouses of mutant superheroines who stay at home mowing the lawn and painting the fence while their women go fight Magneto and the Sentinels.

Call it the X-Husbands. They go golfing in Saturdays.
  #67  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:50 PM
tricoteuse is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Wait, he made you eat his table scraps? What an a-hole! No wonder you left him.
Oh no! I ate his table scraps because I love cheese and pizza crust and it was on top of whatever I ordered for myself to eat. Usually wings which my kids and I got to eat all of because he doesn't like chicken with bones. My ex is a good guy, we got divorced because we got married young and by the time our kids were teens we realized we wanted to do very different things with our lives, but he is definitely a picky eater.
  #68  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 AM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
Oh no! I ate his table scraps because I love cheese and pizza crust and it was on top of whatever I ordered for myself to eat. Usually wings which my kids and I got to eat all of because he doesn't like chicken with bones. My ex is a good guy, we got divorced because we got married young and by the time our kids were teens we realized we wanted to do very different things with our lives, but he is definitely a picky eater.
I was messing with you. Glad it ended reasonably amicably.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 09-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.
  #69  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Calzones are a weird thing. When you look at them, they just look like bread. Let's say you ordered one without mushrooms. How would you know if they got it right without taking a bite? Man, that's really rolling the dice.
Mama Mia always said, life is like a box of calzones.
  #70  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Oredigger77 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Back at 5,280
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Gosh, I always value the opinions of men who call women "females", especially when it comes to what is and isn't sexist.

Oh, wait, no, that's not right. The opposite thing. I don't pay the misogynist fucks any heed at all.
Wait, I'm confused. Calling women females is misogynistic? Is this due to the gender/sex difference and they are supposed to refer to different things? Or are you saying female is generally derogatory? I supposed it may just be female has become MRA code for something like 88 did with the nazis. What's the background here?
  #71  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Calling women females is misogynistic? Is this due to the gender/sex difference and they are supposed to refer to different things? Or are you saying female is generally derogatory? I supposed it may just be female has become MRA code for something like 88 did with the nazis. What's the background here?
The answer to this should be interesting.
  #72  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Calling women females is misogynistic?
It's context-dependent, but absent any, yes, it is.
Quote:

Is this due to the gender/sex difference
No, it's due to the adjective/noun difference.
Quote:
Or are you saying female is generally derogatory?
Yes, I am.

Several reasons why:
1. Because the words "female" and "woman" mean different things.
2. Because reducing a woman to her reproductive abilities is dehumanizing and exclusionary.
3. Because nobody casually refers to men as "males."
4. Because it is most often used to imply inferiority or contempt.
5. Because it's grammatically weird.
6. And most importantly, because the word you're looking for already exists.

Oh, and one more reason - years of personal experience that misogynist assholes are the ones to most likely call women females.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
  #73  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,376
It’s for the same reason that you’re an asshole if you call men “males”. It’s almost always used in a context that is negative toward men.
  #74  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Yep, fascinating. Buzzfeed & everything. The whole package.
  #75  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:45 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Lack of substantive reply duly noted.
  #76  
Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Oredigger77 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Back at 5,280
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It's context-dependent, but absent any, yes, it is.
No, it's due to the adjective/noun difference.

Yes, I am.

Several reasons why:
1. Because the words "female" and "woman" mean different things.
2. Because reducing a woman to her reproductive abilities is dehumanizing and exclusionary.
3. Because nobody casually refers to men as "males."
4. Because it is most often used to imply inferiority or contempt.
5. Because it's grammatically weird.
6. And most importantly, because the word you're looking for already exists.

Oh, and one more reason - years of personal experience that misogynist assholes are the ones to most likely call women females.
First I want to qualify that I am trying to learn here its just the female thing goes against my general use of the language so I'm confused and want to make sure I don't screw something up.

In my head there is no difference in definition between woman and female and from a quick google search woman means: an adult human female while female can be of any age or species so it seems I'mright unless you're saying using female implies a lack of humanity.

I guess I would never say "the female went to the store" though I might say "the woman went to the store". I would say "their hiring policies are biased against females" though. I'm pretty sure that female is a noun in both usages though I wouldn't swear to it. Can you explain more about the noun/adjective thing?

Is male sexist as well? It seems it carries the same connotation? When the news says "an adult male in his late 20s robbed the store" was that sexist or are you saying this is the adjective usage that is ok. So, "their physical standards are biased toward males" would be sexist? I think both of those examples show that people constantly refer to men as males.

I think your 2 and 4 are saying the same thing and I think 1 and 6 are duplicates as well. Honestly, this feels like a this is sexist because the definition refers to anatomy while woman refers to anatomy indirectly so the veil makes you feel better so it is much like the differences between gender and sex which makes some people feel bad but confuses me too.
  #77  
Old 09-21-2019, 02:30 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It's context-dependent, but absent any, yes, it is.
No, it's due to the adjective/noun difference.

Yes, I am.

Several reasons why:
1. Because the words "female" and "woman" mean different things.
2. Because reducing a woman to her reproductive abilities is dehumanizing and exclusionary.
3. Because nobody casually refers to men as "males."
4. Because it is most often used to imply inferiority or contempt.
5. Because it's grammatically weird.
6. And most importantly, because the word you're looking for already exists.

Oh, and one more reason - years of personal experience that misogynist assholes are the ones to most likely call women females.
Example 47373.131 why modern liberalism has jumped the shark. Hopefully, the ascent of China can refocus people’s attention to things and concepts that have non-negative utility.
  #78  
Old 09-21-2019, 04:49 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
using female implies a lack of humanity.
That's definitely part of it.
Quote:
I guess I would never say "the female went to the store"
Precisely. Work out why that is, and you'll be closer to understanding.
Quote:
Is male sexist as well?
Often.
Quote:
When the news says "an adult male in his late 20s robbed the store" was that sexist
Remember when I said "absent any context"? "In police reporting and related news reporting" is a specific context where use of male/female instead of man/woman is more acceptable. IMO, unnecessary, but that's jargon for you.
Quote:
I think your 2 and 4 are saying the same thing
No, they're not.
Quote:
and I think 1 and 6 are duplicates as well.
No, they're not.
Quote:
Honestly, this feels like a this is sexist because the definition refers to anatomy while woman refers to anatomy indirectly
No, that's not why. It'd still be misogynist to refer to women as females even if we were a strictly binary species.
  #79  
Old 09-21-2019, 04:50 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Hopefully, the ascent of China can refocus people’s attention to things and concepts that have non-negative utility.
What the fuck are you even babbling on about, you idiotic worm?
  #80  
Old 09-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
1. Because the words "female" and "woman" mean different things.
In what way?
  #81  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:07 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
In what way?
Is a five year old with a vagina a woman?

English, why am it are be so confusing?

CMC fnord!
  #82  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:35 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,578
If you think saying female is misogynistic then you're a real bitch.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #83  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Is a five year old with a vagina a woman?

English, why am it are be so confusing?

CMC fnord!
Yeah but no one is talking about a 5 year old, so.
  #84  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
If you think saying female is misogynistic then you're a real bitch.
I do believe that that is the argument being presented here, and I would be inclined to agree with your analysis.
  #85  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 29,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
In what way?
Do you really need this part explained?

I don't even agree with MrDibble, but now you're being stupid.

Female can be and species, woman is strictly humans outside of fiction.
  #86  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,368
"Female" is a synecdoche and yes, it's rude. If you insist on using it, women will assume you're a total douchecanoe and proceed accordingly.
  #87  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:11 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
What the fuck are you even babbling on about, you idiotic worm?
Calling people worms and whining about female. Oh the irony.
  #88  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Calling people worms and whining about female. Oh the irony.
Should he have said "invertebrates"?
  #89  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:21 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Do you really need this part explained?

I don't even agree with MrDibble, but now you're being stupid.

Female can be and species, woman is strictly humans outside of fiction.
Yeah but none of that was presented in my original “females” post. This whole thing started from one poster taking mad offense to my using the term “female” and everyone presented arguments as to why that is offensive based on usage that I clearly didn’t even use.
  #90  
Old 09-22-2019, 06:10 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Calling people worms and whining about female. Oh the irony.
You clearly don't know what irony is, you dumb motherfucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Yeah but none of that was presented in my original “females” post.
Oh, you were talking about female pangolins, then?

You were using females in exactly that way. You know, like a misogynist does.

Now, whether you're actually a misogynist, or just play one here for the lulz, is irrelevant to me. I'm just counting the days (and it no doubt is days) until the PTB put you out of our misery.
  #91  
Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
You clearly don't know what irony is, you dumb motherfucker.


Oh, you were talking about female pangolins, then?

You were using females in exactly that way. You know, like a misogynist does.

Now, whether you're actually a misogynist, or just play one here for the lulz, is irrelevant to me. I'm just counting the days (and it no doubt is days) until the PTB put you out of our misery.
Tha fuk? All I said was god damn “female” and your stupid ass loses your shit talking about pangolins & hoping I get banned or something.

You damn fool it was clear I was talking about an adult female human being not animals or children or whatever other strawman you can dream up.

You need to calm down.
  #92  
Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 32,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
You need to calm down.
And with that, you lose.
  #93  
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Tha fuk? All I said was god damn “female” and your stupid ass loses your shit
Ha ha. You have yet to see me lose my shit, asshole. But you can still take your pathetic attempt at tone policing and shove it up your prolapsed anus, if you can find space next to your neck.
Quote:
talking about pangolins & hoping I get banned or something.
Now now, be fair.

We've all been hoping you'd be banned way before you showed your misogyny.

Except octopus, apparently, but he's a microcephalic shitworm, so we don't expect any better from him.
Quote:
You damn fool it was clear I was talking about an adult female human
The word you want, yet seem incapable of saying, is "woman", motherfucker.
Quote:
You need to calm down.
You need to fuck off.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-22-2019 at 07:14 AM.
  #94  
Old 09-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Ha ha. You have yet to see me lose my shit, asshole. But you can still take your pathetic attempt at tone policing and shove it up your prolapsed anus, if you can find space next to your neck.

Now now, be fair.

We've all been hoping you'd be banned way before you showed your misogyny.

Except octopus, apparently, but he's a microcephalic shitworm, so we don't expect any better from him.

The word you want, yet seem incapable of saying, is "woman", motherfucker.
You need to fuck off.
Liberalism folks ^
  #95  
Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Not that I'm a liberal, of course.

You don't have to be a liberal to not be a sexist shitstain. And on the other hand, you don't have to be polite to be a liberal. Especially not to misogynist trolls.
  #96  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
All I said was “female” and look at the state of yourself.

Oh and you’re a raging liberal, of course. Evidence is the state of your meltdown over a simple word, harmlessly used.
  #97  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:26 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
"They're only trolling you because they like you!"

— My parents, if the Web were invented twenty years earlier
:lol: Yes, that's what my mother told me when the antisemite in class used to torment me.


Re calling women "females". Yeah, it's not a great idea. It's usually mildly offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
It’s for the same reason that you’re an asshole if you call men “males”. It’s almost always used in a context that is negative toward men.
This is the real reason. Because when you care more about a person's sex than about their humanity, you are probably thinking negative or objectifying thoughts about them. It's not 100% true, and I won't write off a guy just because he talks about "females" when he meant "women" or "gals", but my level of suspicion goes up a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
First I want to qualify that I am trying to learn here its just the female thing goes against my general use of the language so I'm confused and want to make sure I don't screw something up.

In my head there is no difference in definition between woman and female and from a quick google search woman means: an adult human female while female can be of any age or species so it seems I'm right unless you're saying using female implies a lack of humanity.

I guess I would never say "the female went to the store" though I might say "the woman went to the store". I would say "their hiring policies are biased against females" though. I'm pretty sure that female is a noun in both usages though I wouldn't swear to it. Can you explain more about the noun/adjective thing?

Is male sexist as well? It seems it carries the same connotation? When the news says "an adult male in his late 20s robbed the store" was that sexist or are you saying this is the adjective usage that is ok. So, "their physical standards are biased toward males" would be sexist? I think both of those examples show that people constantly refer to men as males....
Yeah, you wouldn't say "the female went to the store" because in that context, you are thinking of her primarily as a person with agency. In the second, you are talking about objects the employer is acting upon. And you probably wouldn't say "their physical standards are biased against males", in part because that would almost never be true, and in part because you'd be more likely to say "these standards are unfair to men". Because you wouldn't be thinking in the third person about some anonymous object being potentially hurt, you would be envisioning actual men and you'd feel the unfairness directly.

Yeah, that's not true in every instance. But it's likely.

The police ARE objectifying the perp. Because of the context, most of us are okay with that.

On the flip side, it alway annoys me when people use "woman" or "lady" as an adjective when they mean "female". As in, "the lady truckdriver". Here, you are implying that it's so bizarre that she's driving a truck that you aren't comfortable with the usual noun, you have to combine it with "lady". If you need to specify the sex of a teacher or a nurse, you'd never say "the lady teacher", you'd say "the female teacher". Because you aren't trying to avoid using the word "teacher" for a women.

Thanks for reading, Oredigger.
  #98  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
On the flip side, it alway annoys me when people use "woman" or "lady" as an adjective when they mean "female". As in, "the lady truckdriver". Here, you are implying that it's so bizarre that she's driving a truck that you aren't comfortable with the usual noun, you have to combine it with "lady". If you need to specify the sex of a teacher or a nurse, you'd never say "the lady teacher", you'd say "the female teacher". Because you aren't trying to avoid using the word "teacher" for a women.
Misuses of both "female" and "woman" grate on me, and there was a trend a few years ago to use "woman" as an adjective as a hypercorrection against using "female" as a noun. "Woman" as an adjective sounds too close to the grammatically grating use of "Jew" or "Democrat" as an adjective which is usually used by those who don't like those aspects of the people they are talking about, sometimes making it a near-slur. So for instance "women lawmakers" sounds a little bit like "negro lawmakers" in that it sounds like something an uneducated and casually but lightly prejudiced person would say, even if the speaker is actually talking about diversity and equality.
  #99  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
All I said was “female” and look at the state of yourself.
I'm looking. Don't see anything different from any other pit thread I'm active in.

You're not stupid enough of a troll to think some motherfucking swears mean I'm upset, surely?
Quote:
Oh and you’re a raging liberal, of course
Naah, nice try.
Quote:
. Evidence is the state of your meltdown over a simple word, harmlessly used.
Sure, mate, whatever you have to tell your woman-hating self to get by....
  #100  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
On the flip side, it alway annoys me when people use "woman" or "lady" as an adjective when they mean "female".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Misuses of both "female" and "woman" grate on me, and there was a trend a few years ago to use "woman" as an adjective as a hypercorrection against using "female" as a noun.
Am totally on board with the dislike of using "woman" (or "lady") that way.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017