Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Yes, lets run a half marathon through desert conditions (and there won't be water stations) and then you find the trained soldiers who have been sitting in the shade with their loaded weapons in front of the locked doors. And this is assuming they don't bother to send some fighter jets along the way to make it a bit more of a challenge. Sounds like a great idea to me.
I suspect their collective thought is that the government will decline to use lethal force on all these smartphone wielding, unarmed intruders. I would hope that there are still some levels of government that don't look forward to reading the headlines "US military kills hundred of unarmed civilians". All they need to do is call the guard's bluff, overwhelm them with sheer numbers and take control.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I would hope that there are still some levels of government that don't look forward to reading the headlines "US military kills hundred of unarmed civilians".

I, myself, would be outraged! Outraged that there wouldn't be enough Darwin Awards to go around!
This wouldn't fall under the category of some government atrocity, it would be a case of "bull messed with, horns received."
Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

I hope that the DOD gets more creative than just "buzz the kids with fighter jets". C'mon, guys. You don't have much to do out there in the desert, you have time to dress up an MH-X Stealth Blackhawk copter... so it looks like an alien ship.

Or at least buy a couple Stealth Quadcopter Drones off Amazon and make them look like flying saucers.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I hope that the DOD gets more creative than just "buzz the kids with fighter jets". C'mon, guys. You don't have much to do out there in the desert, you have time to dress up an MH-X Stealth Blackhawk copter... so it looks like an alien ship.

Or at least buy a couple Stealth Quadcopter Drones off Amazon and make them look like flying saucers.
There's no point in this. Most people would just laugh it off without even acknowledging the creativity. These interlopers aren't "most people" though. Many would just see it as evidence to reinforce their belief and they would make an even bigger problem down the road. I wouldn't do the modern jet flyover either. It would just give too many of them a thrill.

Can you load lachrymatory agents / tear gas / pepper spray into a crop duster?

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 07-14-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:20 PM

I want to see Area 51 put out a mothership from Independence Day and hover it over the sightseers.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I know that the signs say it, and it's a common trope that they'll do it, but does anyone know if any of the security for special weapons/material storage areas or national security areas like Area 51, have ever shot and killed trespassers?
Word is that the Area 51 guards are going to deploy a giant net.

All of the captured intruders will be herded into corrals and sold at federal auction.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 AM

Now over 600,000, and military has issued warnings:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/storm-are...091226168.html
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that the signs say it, and it's a common trope that they'll do it, but does anyone know if any of the security for special weapons/material storage areas or national security areas like Area 51, have ever shot and killed trespassers?
Mentioned it on the Dope before, sometime in the early 90s, perhaps as early as 1989 I was mired several cars back from the main gate NOB Norfolk VA when a protester decided to stop standing around yelling and ran the gate, when a bunch of Marines out doing PT dogpiled the moron ... no shots fired, the gate guards were laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
This reminds me of when I asked my friend who was an officer on a nuclear submarine how fast it could go. He responded "I couldn't tell you." I said... you're an officer on the submarine and you don't know how fast it can go? to which he responded... "I didn't say I don't know."
I always had fun on Dependent cruises, I gave up doing the fake qual card thing after the third or fourth cruise I did. It wasn't fun taunting the poor junior officers after a while. Pity that the combination of playing 688 and reading Janes for fun makes a female who has the tiniest amount of comprehension of militaria distressing for the poor junior officers. <shrug> It was much funner just hanging out in the machinery spaces with the husband and our buddies anyway.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I know about the guy who drove onto past the gates at Mercury, onto the Nevada National Security Site, left his vehicle with a metallic object in his hand, and got ventilated for his trouble, but IMHO, that would've happened on any felony traffic stop in Nye County. I mean cases like where people "break red" on an Air Force Base or No Lone Zone, and the security forces actually shoot at them.
While looking for a movie theatre, a Russian colleague and I unknowingly drove onto a United States Air Force base. Our first clue was when a uniformed guard ran onto the road and demanded we pull over and roll down the window. I so wanted to tell my friend, who was driving, to ask him where the "nuclear wessels" are, but thought the better of it when we saw the guard's machine gun.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Now it's reached 1.3 million.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/military-...151809468.html

Someone mentioned the distance of over 10 miles from perimeter fencing to actual base facilities - what if the raiders breached the fence, but then continued by vehicle instead of by foot, driving their cars that distance of 10-20 miles? (hypothetical, of course, since again, no more than a dozen are likely to actually show up)
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM

When I worked for the government, I spent a week working out of Rachel, Nevada while doing geologic studies for the BLM's Caliente Resource Area. One day, just for fun, we drove up a back road to the boundary of Area 51 and stopped to look around. Within a minute, a Humvee appeared on the other side of the fence and two heavily armed soldiers stepped out. At that point we decided it was time to get back to work, so we waved at them, turned around, and got the hell out of there.

Base on that limited experience, I'm pretty sure no storming of the barricades will be going on there anytime soon.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Unlike the police, the military isn't usually dealing with friendlies. Unless they are planning on pulling out their super secret Area 51 ray guns, I would expect that they either have very limited or no stock of less-than-lethal weapons. If someone is dumb enough to try and rush the guards they are going to have a bad day.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Former (contractor) USAF SP here. My experience was in the 1980s; things and directives may have changed, but I doubt it.

There are regular resources, and there are Priority assets, of which there are subcategories. The Priority assets get the deadly force treatment. Generally (can vary greatly depending on base mission), the Priority assets are within the interior of a base, so simply breaching the exterior fencing of a base (like crashing a gate) might or might not get a lethal response; there's a big difference between a lost tourist and someone who tried to run over a guard.

All M-16s we carried were loaded, though not necessarily with a round chambered. The policies on that will vary by unit, assignment, base, and possibly by command.

THAT SAID, something like an organized "protest" will likely have a different engagement plan. There were protests at the gate where I worked, and the USAF more-or-less tried to work with the protest leadership so they could make their point without anyone on either side getting injured. But these were political protests, not CT idiots.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Unlike the police, the military isn't usually dealing with friendlies. Unless they are planning on pulling out their super secret Area 51 ray guns, I would expect that they either have very limited or no stock of less-than-lethal weapons. If someone is dumb enough to try and rush the guards they are going to have a bad day.
True, but in this instance, the military has been given about 2 months' advance notice that stuff is going to happen. They can assemble the interesting equipment and await the swarm.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
True, but in this instance, the military has been given about 2 months' advance notice that stuff is going to happen. They can assemble the interesting equipment and await the swarm.
Likewise, they can remove or secure any classified equipment and have a massive picnic ready for the visitors. Much better for public relations.

Are there really 300k + Americans that are so bored, so well-heeled, and so willing to risk imprisonment or worse, that they can truly commit to this thing? Couple hundred locals, MAYBE a couple thousand from elsewhere. This is bullshit.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn
They do know that the military guards that place, and they're authorized to shoot to kill intruders?
Nonsense. Nobody will be hurt - they set their phasers on Stun.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned the distance of over 10 miles from perimeter fencing to actual base facilities - what if the raiders breached the fence, but then continued by vehicle instead of by foot, driving their cars that distance of 10-20 miles? (hypothetical, of course, since again, no more than a dozen are likely to actually show up)
Pretty nasty terrain out there. Unless you had some pretty serious ATV's or dirtbikes, the road is pretty much the only way of motorized travel on the ground.

I've been in the general area on a motorcycle years ago. There was a peak you could access that you could see the base from in the distance. I understand that has been closed off since then.

It's a nasty place.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM

It is all for naught anyway... everyone knows the aliens are at Wright Pat or maybe Iron Mountain.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I just want to know about the probing.

Asking for a friend.
You know, that base probably has some medical personnel. If I were the commanding officer, there would be a strong temptation to order my underlings to perform probes on all of the protesters.

If anyone asked why, I could say, "Tradition!", then come up with some feeble medical excuse.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

"Well, Senator, we were afraid they might be drug mules."
Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 PM

I so hope that they use this on morons who show up...
Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, Marines will be deployed at some positions and will be issued with the red rubber balls from gym class for playing murder ball. If the swarmers cross the line, marines are weapons free (not gonna say balls free).
Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

This could be a real chance to clean out the gene pool some.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

A coworker of mine years ago had a story where he was on patrol at an Army base and he shot an intruder in the leg. It was during the Cold War and overseas, I think in Germany (wish I could remember more), so not really the same as the Area 51 story. There was a legitimate threat of espionage and sabotage at the time.

Here's an entertaining reddit thread about this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c..._area_51_raid/
Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

You all know this is just a joke right? No one is gonna show up, at most a tiny fraction of the people who signed up. Maybe 2 dozen, though I say zero. It's just bored youths sharing memes. I do feel bad for the air force people who have to take it seriously though.

In other news, Guy Fieri is apparently volunteering to feed the mob.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

What happened to "less than lethal"?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
There are regular resources, and there are Priority assets, of which there are subcategories. The Priority assets get the deadly force treatment. Generally (can vary greatly depending on base mission), the Priority assets are within the interior of a base, so simply breaching the exterior fencing of a base (like crashing a gate) might or might not get a lethal response; there's a big difference between a lost tourist and someone who tried to run over a guard.
It's fun working in a "10 minute response time" facility and walking out of said facility after the alarm has been tripped and you don't know it.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
You all know this is just a joke right? No one is gonna show up, at most a tiny fraction of the people who signed up. Maybe 2 dozen, though I say zero. It's just bored youths sharing memes. I do feel bad for the air force people who have to take it seriously though.
Agreed. These are the same type of people who were going to leave the country if Trump was elected.

Funny sidenote: My kiddo flew (nearly) over area 51 two days ago. When he told me about it, I asked if the Area 51 group was massing at the edges. He didn't know what I was talking about. Neither did my daughter. I wonder sometimes if all the cool kids have left Facebook, and only us old fogies are still there.

Last edited by pullin; 07-18-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 AM

i suspect that if a significant number turn up there will be some hospitalizations and possibly even some deaths - not from the guards, but because the sort of idiot who would actually turn up to this is also likely to be the sort of idiot who hasn't adequately prepared for wandering around the middle of a desert. Dehydration and heatstroke galore.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Funny sidenote: My kiddo flew (nearly) over area 51 two days ago. When he told me about it, I asked if the Area 51 group was massing at the edges. He didn't know what I was talking about. Neither did my daughter. I wonder sometimes if all the cool kids have left Facebook, and only us old fogies are still there.
My kids are 15 and 16. They laugh at me when I mention Facebook.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 PM

Even if a fraction show up, this might be good for local business and motels.

Last edited by Velocity; 07-18-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM

The burly guards in black government vehicles can make the interlopers leave their cars behind, then march them the ten-plus miles to the installation for processing. They won't even get 100 yards before most of them say, "Yanno what? I changed my mind..."

Those who persevere will be treated to the view of a boundary fence which surrounds most military installations. Then one by one, they can enter the guard house, produce identification, and state reason for visit.

"I came to see the aliens," isn't going to work.

"Entry denied."

And they get to WALK back to their cars.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Agreed. These are the same type of people who were going to leave the country if Trump was elected.

Honestly, they sound to me more like the people that put Trump in office. The "bring your rifle to the pizza place and get to the bottom of things" types.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

'Kyle' keeps popping up in memes. Is one of the organisers named Kyle? Is it a reference to Kyle from South Park? (If so, maybe 'Kenny' would be more appropriate.) What does 'Kyle' mean in the memes?

[NB: Having grown up in a military family, and having worked at an Air Force base and... Need-To-Know places, I think 'Area 51 is where they keep the Aliens' is rubbish. For that reason, I have not been following the story.]
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM
BANNED

I assume all flights anywhere near there are fully booked? Hotels as well, rental cars?

This is like Snakes on a Plane- millions watch the trailer, have fun with it, then the movie tanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
'Kyle' keeps popping up in memes. Is one of the organisers named Kyle? Is it a reference to Kyle from South Park? (If so, maybe 'Kenny' would be more appropriate.) What does 'Kyle' mean in the memes?

[NB: Having grown up in a military family, and having worked at an Air Force base and... Need-To-Know places, I think 'Area 51 is where they keep the Aliens' is rubbish. For that reason, I have not been following the story.]
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyle?full=1
Old 07-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Here's what Redditors are saying about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKreCTjuC8
Old 07-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Those who persevere will be treated to the view of a boundary fence which surrounds most military installations. Then one by one, they can enter the guard house, produce identification, and state reason for visit.

"I came to see the aliens," isn't going to work.

"Entry denied."
What about if a Jedi turns up?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Even if a fraction show up, this might be good for local business and motels.
It's odd that the original FB posts says the meetup is at the "Area 51 Alien Center tourist attraction", which is at Death Valley Junction, all the way on the other side of the base. There used to be an "Area 51 Research Center" in Rachel but it closed down years ago. Neither place is equipped in any way to host an influx of even a thousand visitors.

Last edited by blondebear; 07-18-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM

I wonder if the aliens have dollar bills?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 AM

Today's the day.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Update: Hero kid Naruto-runs behind a reporter on live TV outside Area 51.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Without looking at any reports, I'm going to predict that this is one of those "mass events" that will have more reporters at the scene than participants.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

So? What happened? We're they all abducted by aliens?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 PM

They got lost and ended up at Area 52.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
So? What happened? We're they all abducted by aliens?
What anyone sensible predicted: there were actually hundreds of thousands of people clicking an amusing event on facebook, not hundreds of thousands of people actually planning to storm a well defended military base in the middle of a desert. I was amused by how many people seemed to think there were actually a significant number of people planning to turn up and would spend effort writing missives about 'guys do you realize the military will defend the base' and 'what if you put all of this energy into a worthwhile protest'.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM

I did see an amusing video of someone doing a Naruto run in the background during a television news segment at the site. No, I'm not going to bother to look it up to link to, but kudos to the guy who did it.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:50 AM

No worries, Walken after Midnight did the heavy lifting for you.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Oh yeah. I blame the aliens for erasing my memory.

Also, there was this kid that did a Naruto run.