Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,951
Thanks; you had some good suggestions.
  #52  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,813
I completely disagree with the op. I like to link to sources that I believe are reliable, and that report clearly. That means I may link to sites that are good enough that I'm willing to pay for them. That doesn't mean I think you need to pay, and I do try to quote enough that you can tell what the gist is without paying yourself. But if you don't trust me to truthfully summarize a site that is publicly available (for pay, but to lots of people) then tough shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
At times I've wondered how much disinformation gets spread to the public on account of the fact that if you look up a story, the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the LA Times are all paywalled, but the Washington Times, Breitbart, and Daily Caller aren't.
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Really? Because I have an entirely electronic subscription to the New York Times, with nothing being dropped on my porch.
Yeah, I have electronic subscriptions to the NYT, the WaPo, the Guardian, the New Yorker, and some free sources, including Reuters, NPR, and Al Jazeera. I get a paper copy as well as electronic if the Wall Street Journal, because i like to read it on the train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Here's a question for all those reading this; what are some good non-paywalled sources? The first two that come to mind are The Guardian (although they have a bit at the end of the articles pleading for a contribution) and Wikipedia.

Can you think of any other sources?
I like NPR. WaPo may as well be free because it's easy to read without paying. Ditto the New Yorker, which has published some surprisingly good journalism recently.

I will say, though, that there's no chance I will watch a you tube video unless you give me a damn good reason. If your source is you tube, you'd better summarize it well. I also find Twitter links annoying, and think posters should summarize the point of the link.
  #53  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,263
leaving aside news cites ...

Paywalls are often unavoidable for citing full scientific papers. Not as much of that stuff as we'd like is open access.
  #54  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Really? Because I have an entirely electronic subscription to the New York Times, with nothing being dropped on my porch.
I meant figuratively. The only way to subscribe is to subscribe to the entire publication, which was a necessity when the way you got it was that the whole thing was printed and dropped on your porch. There's often no middle ground between no support whatsoever and buying the entire thing.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 09-20-2019 at 03:07 AM.
  #55  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,179
I rarely get around the paywall/signup problem by quoting the important passage in the article. If someone wants to believe I'm making up the whole thing, that's their problem. Sometimes a juicy tidbit (medical or political) has only one source with limited access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
On a similar note, don't post fucken links to YouTube without some sort of commentary. I am NOT going to sit through x minutes of video to get you point, especially when I'm working.
I agree, this is double-plus ungood.

It's especially bad when the video linked to is over two hours long and the relevant part lasts a minute. There's actually a simple way to link to the part of the video that (supposedly) supports your argument - use it!

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-20-2019 at 09:44 AM.
  #56  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,047
Really? So... how do you link to a part of a video rather than a whole?
  #57  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:45 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Really? So... how do you link to a part of a video rather than a whole?
https://youtubetime.com/

Highlander first fight
  #58  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM
mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Really? So... how do you link to a part of a video rather than a whole?
With YouTube videos, you can start at a particular time within the video.

Play the video on your computer, and at the time you want to start, right-click on the video and select "Copy video URL at current time" from the context menu.

Here's a link to a 10-hour YouTube video. If you click the link, you'll begin the video at 6:10:03.

https://youtu.be/AgpWX18dby4?t=22203

Basically, you take the regular YouTube link for the video, and add the following:

?t=[number of seconds]

So, ?t=60 will start the video one minute in. And ?t=22203 will start the video 6 hours, 10 minutes, and 3 seconds in.

Last edited by mhendo; 09-20-2019 at 05:52 PM.
  #59  
Old 09-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,047
Thanks!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017