Old 09-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
...Gray Ghost, in just this very episode, Minrah reminded us all that we don't have any idea what her pre-cleric level was. Remember, O-Chul's paladin level is even less than Minrah's cleric level... but even before he became a paladin, he was already tough enough to be the sole survivor of an entire pitched battle.
Time flies...

OK, what do you think her level is, and how does it compare with the Order's average level? (Although, if she were optimized even halfway well, she'd be able to punch well above her weight, as bad as the Order usually is when they try combat.)

I have no idea what it is exactly. But I'm pretty sure based on how she fought and Roy's reaction, that she's well behind the Order in skill. Scanning the Class and Level Geekery thread, the consensus is they don't know (what else is new) but that a reasonable guess is somewhere in the 5/5, 5/6 range. I'd buy something with more fighter levels than cleric.

Reading the first page of C&L Geekery, maybe she does have the same number of levels as O-Chul, if he's something like a Fighter 8+/Paladin 3-4+? The difference is that I'd have no problem at all visualizing O-Chul hanging with the Order, and yet I sort of do thinking of Minrah doing the same.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Edit: I meant to link to the start of the whole conversation and not call out dtilque's post explicitly.
Doesn't bother me, I stand by that post. Anyway, here's a link to the page the discussion is on. If you search the page for my name, that'll be the post.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 PM

I'll say it again. I'm always amazed in these callbacks to not-even-that-old of a thread, at the number of people who've been banned in the interim.

Interesting discussion. The only word of God I remember reading about the thing was a few years ago, that Burlew was initially surprised at comments he didn't have enough female characters, realized people were right, and then complained that everytime he drew one that he considered detailed and fully actualized, (e.g. Miko, Celia), people bitched at him and hated the character.

I love jophiel's comment in that thread that Burlew could double the number of female characters in the Order with the right bath scene...

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-17-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I love jophiel's comment in that thread that Burlew could double the number of female characters in the Order with the right bath scene...
Let's not go there.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I hate every panel of that guest strip.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I hate every panel of that guest strip.
The joke isnt horrible, but the rest- well, we agree. ecch.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
everytime he drew one that he considered detailed and fully actualized, (e.g. Miko, Celia), people bitched at him and hated the character.
Those feel like weird examples since Miko never felt like you were supposed to like her. Her whole gig was that she was unlikeable. I'll give credit that she subverted the Lawful Stupid trope a bit (using the 'honorable fight' bit as an excuse to collect everyone for a fireball from V) but she still felt like a one-note character.

Celia is just kind of weird because her schtick is being an Outsider and sometimes that was represented with things like being in business suits or working for an employment agency and being a paralegal. It's fine, just like it was fine when the deva judging Roy's soul had a glass desk with a computer, but it was still a barrier to thinking of her as a "real" person in the OOTS milieu versus a flying gimmick.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM

I have to give Burlew mad props for the last panel of 1178. I laughed myself silly.

When one of the dwarves congratulates Elan for being a certified bardic genius, he humbly replies "I do what I can in an environment hostile to the performing arts." Belkar glares at him like he's thinking "Oh shut up, you pretentious ass."
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I also like the fact that Janna's skills seem to have improved.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also like the fact that Janna's skills seem to have improved.
It's been like 25 or 30 years since Durkon was consecrated. I would hope she would improve in that time.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

1181 Hold Up a Minute
Old 09-24-2019, 04:42 AM

That's adorable.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
That's adorable.
Indeed it is. Nice to have a little quiet happy domesticity after all that death and destruction.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 AM

And the word of the day is: rapprochement.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Cop out, but I don't know how else Burlew could have resolved the situation without irrevocably alienating a good chunk of his fan base. At least this gets Hilgya and Kudzu out of the rest of the story, barring some twist like the last vampire draining Hilgya and kidnapping the kid. LOL at the idea of Hilgya agreeing to possibly be bound by some agreement between them, or subjecting herself to the authority of whoever the Grand Arbiter is.

I'm glad Durkon is getting to play with his child.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
LOL at the idea of Hilgya agreeing to possibly be bound by some agreement between them, or subjecting herself to the authority of whoever the Grand Arbiter is.
I assumed "I know" was recognizing that Durkon wasn't just going to let this be or stay out of Kudzu's life. And, unlike most people Hilgya encounters, Durkon actually has the power to push the issue and find her where ever she tries to go.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, as Elan would observe, dramatic convention would practically require it.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

This isn't resolved. But it puts off the resolution indefinitely, in a plausible way, such that we may never actually even see the resolution on-panel.

We (the readers, Durkon, and Hilgya) know that, for the duration of the crisis, Kudzu will be well-protected. And we (same "we") know that, once the crisis is resolved, Durkon will seek out Hilgya, and pursue a more permanent resolution. We don't know if he will succeed, or what that resolution will be, but that's a different story from the one we're reading.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Neat. Guess Minrah is taking the slot that Burlew intended Bandanna to fill. I imagine she'll have titanic plot armor, as a, what 6/5 Cleric/Fighter or something like that, adventuring in a party with characters having a bunch of levels in the mid to high teens?

I suspect Minrah is going to be very important at convincing RedCloak or the Dark One to play ball. Or RedCloak's niece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Yay - another team member!

I was pondering the other day, now that we're wrapping up the biggest part of Durkon's arc, who's next in the firing line. The fact that we're adding a new member at the same time that Belkar's demise is virtually overdue suggests that we will be -1 very shortly (or very shortly in comic time - in real time it'll probably be 2022).

Answer to both these speculations. The Giant has sent a tweet.
Minrah is her own character with her own role. She's not anyone's replacement, any more than Blackwing replaced V.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

We've already established that Belkar can't just be replaced by another halfling ranger. He certainly can't be replaced by a dwarven fighter/cleric.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Answer to both these speculations. The Giant has sent a tweet.
Minrah is her own character with her own role. She's not anyone's replacement, any more than Blackwing replaced V.
Uh-huh, sure Burlew. Whatever his reasons for writing her, I'm glad he did, and I'm eager to see what further role she'll play in the narrative. .

I will laugh my ass off if part of that role is to hamfistedly pander to other trendy social concerns, like for example, say Minrah's little secret she doesn't want to say in front of Durkon is that she's transgender.

About replacing Belkar, I think it was Chronos who wrote here that Burlew's likely to subvert a prophecy like Belkar's death by fulfilling it exactly with no loophole, but only killing him off at the very end of the story. I agree wholeheartedly.

Jophiel, I'd think a high-ranking priestess of Loki could hide better than Durkon could search. Or perhaps she anticipates that Dwarven family court works like family court in the US, and thinks she can manipulate events in her favour even if the Grand Arbiter looks at their situation. I agree it benefits her best right now to agree to some sort of visitation, provided Durkon returns. She's surrounded by all of his friends and family, for one thing.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Jophiel, I'd think a high-ranking priestess of Loki could hide better than Durkon could search.
Eh, maybe although I'm not convinced. It sort of doesn't matter though because Durkon is powerful enough that evading him will still be a full time job and Durkon isn't going to give it half effort. So she can either work it out when the time comes or spend the rest of her dwarfy days hassling with it. Plus, she seems to recognize that Kudzu having some daddy time isn't the worst thing for him.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

More precisely, I thought that Belkar's death would either be at the end of the story or during Durkon's arc. But now, well, that pretty much just means at the end of the story.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 PM

I think Belkar will die at the big climax of the story and will be EPIC. He will not let himself die in any way less than what is fitting for a sexy, shoeless, God Of War.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Awww. What a sweet strip.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Not "sweet", exactly. Those two still have very strong negative emotions towards each other. "Poignant" would perhaps be more accurate.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:05 AM

I would agree that Burlew is messing with us with regard to the prophecy, except that I'm still wondering about the timeline. It's been two whole books since we were given a seven-week timeframe for the prophecy to come true. And while most of the onscreen action has taken place in short bursts, there's been a lot of travelling in between. We've had the whole thing with Tarquin (and the trip to that city), the pyramid search in the desert and subsequent battle, the voyage to the gnome city, the voyage to the Godsmoot, and then the voyage to where they are now. It's gotta be close to the deadline by now.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
We've had the whole thing with Tarquin (and the trip to that city), the pyramid search in the desert and subsequent battle, the voyage to the gnome city, the voyage to the Godsmoot, and then the voyage to where they are now. It's gotta be close to the deadline by now.
That's about three weeks of Strip Time tops. I'm betting on Belkar going out in a little ball of glory saving someone who is key to stopping Xykon minutes before the end of the strip.

Sometime in 2025 or so.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I would agree that Burlew is messing with us with regard to the prophecy, except that I'm still wondering about the timeline. It's been two whole books since we were given a seven-week timeframe for the prophecy to come true. And while most of the onscreen action has taken place in short bursts, there's been a lot of travelling in between. We've had the whole thing with Tarquin (and the trip to that city), the pyramid search in the desert and subsequent battle, the voyage to the gnome city, the voyage to the Godsmoot, and then the voyage to where they are now. It's gotta be close to the deadline by now.
I asked that at the GITP forums, thinking that Stickworld's calendar was similar to ours, the Winter Solstice is only 8-9 days from the New Year, and the Godsmoot was held on the Solstice. Ergo, Belkar does 8-9 days max after the Godsmoot, and we've already used up 1 day. I got told the Oracle's prediction worked off the Southern Pantheon's calendar, while the Godsmoot was operating on the Northern Pantheon's Solstice, so who knows? I wasn't satisfied with the explanation, but it looks like Burlew has some wiggle room.

I agree it feels like it should happen really soon, and like silenus wrote, it'll probably take until 2025 (my suspicion is it might be longer than that) for him to get to Belkar's death scene.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-26-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Southern new year is a few months after Northern new year. If Belkar has only 3 weeks at most, then we can deduce the Northern new year has already passed weeks or a couple of months ago.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I asked that at the GITP forums, thinking that Stickworld's calendar was similar to ours, the Winter Solstice is only 8-9 days from the New Year, and the Godsmoot was held on the Solstice. Ergo, Belkar does 8-9 days max after the Godsmoot, and we've already used up 1 day. I got told the Oracle's prediction worked off the Southern Pantheon's calendar, while the Godsmoot was operating on the Northern Pantheon's Solstice, so who knows?
The Solstice, being an astronomical event, will happen at the same time in both hemispheres. Or at least it should, but I suppose with magic it could be different. It seems that neither New Year in Stickworld are based on the Solstice, since that apparently falls in between the two. In our world neither the Western nor the Chinese New Year are on the Solstice, either, so that's the same in a left-handed way.