Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 PM

William Clark was born in 1839. He was famous for his ownership of Copper mines among other things. When he was 65, he had a daughter, Huguette Clark. She lived until 2011.

From his birth to her death was 172 years.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 PM

If my parents were still alive, they'd be 106 years old this year.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:05 PM

A relative of mine is 96 years old. He lives on a farm. He was born on the same farm. He routinely eats in the exact same room in which his mother gave birth to him. One of the doors of the wood crib has the words "Keep Closed" written on it in chalk. It was written nearly 90 years ago, to remind him, as a child, to keep the door closed. He says that the farm is the center of the universe. Anything that happens anywhere else is of no value.

I think history museums are meant to give a person that same sort of perspective - the enormity of time - come have a look at Lincoln's hat or some Egyptian vase. For me, nothing conveys the years like that "Keep Closed" sign.

"But... the other side didn't say nothing. And, that's the side for you & me." - W. Guthrie
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I once saw a young guy wear a cap with Oklahoma City on it. I told him I liked the tribute. considering what happened there. He asked, in all seriousness "What happened there?"

What do they teach in history class these days?
I know you meant the question as a joke, but when I took US History in high school in the early 90s we only got as far the Korean War in the textbook by the end of the year.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:27 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I know you meant the question as a joke, but when I took US History in high school in the early 90s we only got as far the Korean War in the textbook by the end of the year.
My 10th grade US history class (1983-84) never made it to the 20th century.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Hmmm. My early 1980s history classes stopped at the beginning of the Korean War too. When I went to college I told myself that I was going to take a history class that went over Vietnam. They were all full.. Go figure.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Arguing over the another thread about McDonald's starting the fast food breakfast craze. Yes, there was a time when all your could get at McD's was lunch or dinner. But if you know that, you are old.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:42 PM

I was just in the bank and the teller counter there's a machine where you "log in" to your account with your bank card. The digital print says "please swipe card". I told the early 20ish teller that I remembered back in the day if you swiped something at the bank they'd call the cops and today you're asked to do it. She gave me a blank stare as she obviously had no clue what I was talking about. The mid-late 50s teller next to her thought it was quite funny!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Arguing over the another thread about McDonald's starting the fast food breakfast craze. Yes, there was a time when all your could get at McD's was lunch or dinner. But if you know that, you are old.
I remember when McDonald's didn't exist.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:04 PM

OR when McD's signs had the number of how many hamburgers it sold. In the double digits is as far back as I can recall. Took a while to get to triple digits. But not that long to get to "Billions served".
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Today, my technically challenged spouse asked me to write down "how-to" instructions for the various things that she finds challenging, like the TV/DVR/ROKU, the coffee maker, and the RV systems. Makes me feel like either I'm on death's door, or she's planning to off me.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
OR when McD's signs had the number of how many hamburgers it sold. In the double digits is as far back as I can recall. Took a while to get to triple digits. But not that long to get to "Billions served".
Heh. I remember "1 million".
Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm not that old* but I remember 2 million.

*Or maybe I'm so old I saw 1 but have forgotten it.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Has anyone mentions cigarette commercials on TV? I remember those.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Has anyone mentions cigarette commercials on TV? I remember those.
With recommendations from DOCTORS!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
With recommendations from DOCTORS!
Or more likely, actors dressed as doctors (pro tip: Marcus Welby M.D. may not actually have gone to medical school).

I had an experience today that indicates either that I'm ancient or that my colleagues are not film buffs.

I had occasion* to bring up Dolores Del Rio, who was a famous Mexican actress back in the day (well before my time, though she did appear in a Marcus Welby** episode circa 1970). I got blank looks from both people to whom I mentioned her name.

*you may wonder what kind of occasion, but I cannot tell you.
**I am totally not explaining who Marcus Welby was.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 08-14-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Today, my technically challenged spouse asked me to write down "how-to" instructions for the various things that she finds challenging, like the TV/DVR/ROKU, the coffee maker, and the RV systems. Makes me feel like either I'm on death's door, or she's planning to off me
I don't know your current situation, but maybe leave off a couple of steps to make sure she keeps you around...
On an old tech note, I remember helping my parents to reset the time on the VCR when the power went out.
I also remember when I would type my own papers back in college despite the fact that we had an ancient computer lab with terminals you could use. I was always afraid the mainframe would eat my homework.
I ended up using a suitemate's manual typewriter.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

I got the latest issue of AARP's magazine yesterday.

Carlos Santana is on the cover.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I play an MMORPG, in which I'm a member of several in-game guilds (groups of players). Many times, the conversations in the "guild chat" channel have nothing to do with the game, and are about things like music and movies.

Also, I am pretty certain that I'm one of the oldest, if not *the* oldest, members of these guilds.

Anyway, the other day, we were talking about going to concerts. I mentioned that I'd suffered some serious hearing loss due to a concert I'd once attended, where I was only about 20 feet away from the amps.

One of my guild-mates asked, "What concert?" I replied, "It was a Motorhead concert, when I was in college. Back in the '80s, we didn't know any better, and no one wore earplugs."

She said: "You were in college in the '80s???? My mom was still in high school in the '80s!"
Old 08-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I got the latest issue of AARP's magazine yesterday.

Carlos Santana is on the cover.
Try Bruce Springsteen on the cover.

Ten years ago.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Other reminders I am old:

Woodstock turned 50 today.

I remember when Texas was a solidly Democratic state.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 AM

I'm 70. I now look back on being 64 with nostalgia. My body hurt much less than it does now.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post
I'm 70. I now look back on being 64 with nostalgia. My body hurt much less than it does now.
I'm 73. My body hurt much less at 70.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

If anyone had told me when I was 14 that I'd be around to see he 50th anniversary of Woodstock, I'f have screamed "ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?"
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 PM

I had been contemplating how I knew I was old when I finally looked at this thread.

Here's my offering:

When I interviewed at the school I now work for, I was asked if I could teach coding.
My dad taught me BASIC in 1981 so I would always be able to use a computer.

For the ladies: when you go to the doctor and no one asks if you could possibly be pregnant.

Mr. CelticKnot says that when he was a teenager, rock stars were guys with a guitar and facial hair. Now he's a guy with facial hair and a guitar, and the rock stars are all teenagers.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I've always thought the time difference between the 1880s and, say, 1919 vast. But it occurred to me today that the 1980s still feel like yesterday to me. It does not feel like nearly as much time has passed since the 1980s as did from the 1880s to 1919. I was already in my 20s when it turned 1980. The 1970s do feel like a million years ago, but not the 1980s.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
I was just in the bank and the teller counter there's a machine where you "log in" to your account with your bank card. The digital print says "please swipe card". I told the early 20ish teller that I remembered back in the day if you swiped something at the bank they'd call the cops and today you're asked to do it. She gave me a blank stare as she obviously had no clue what I was talking about. The mid-late 50s teller next to her thought it was quite funny!
I laughed!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:27 AM

70 yrs old, I had to drywall the ceiling in my living room last week which included tearing out the old ceiling. So sore right now I can barely walk or raise my arms. I am thinking that may be the last major repair job I do. I no longer get all that excited about having a girlfriend and the thought of living alone is becoming more and more appealing.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Earlier this year I was at my dentist to get a tooth filled. Some minutes after getting novocaine shots he asked me if I was ready. I said I was, so he said just relax and it'll go fine. I said: no worries here...unless I hear you ask me "Is it safe?", at which point we both shared a hearty laugh. His assistant, a woman, much younger than us, had no idea what was so funny.

Could be even her parents weren't even born when 'Marathon Man' came out in 1976.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:19 AM

I never watch awards shows, but I love to look at the red carpet slideshow the next day. You know you're old when you look at the slideshow of fashions worn at the Emmys (for example) and 1) you don't know who any of the people are, and 2) you think the outfits are HIDEOUS. Especially the men's clothes.

A similar thing happens in the checkout lane at the grocery store, when you look at the cover of People magazine (a publication you used to LOVE, but it was too expensive to subscribe to, so you read it at the doctor's office) and you don't know who ANY of the people are. Except maybe Prince William and Kate. "Sandy and Buffy are FINALLY pregnant!!" The secret behind the Jeffy-Briony breakup!" Right. Gotta buy that issue fer shure.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

When you no longer care how stylish a wristwatch looks, you just want one that you can read the time.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
You get the joke when a poster refers to manhattan as "the fucking hall monitor."
Did you mean Giuliani? (I'm half hoping not, and I'm just young enough not to get it. )

Quote:
There have been 4 presidents younger than me.
It's not quite here yet, but I can see a time when I'll be insisting upon candidates younger than I am.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

My niece, who was an infant when my wife and I got married, just had her first baby this weekend.

My oldest granddaughter just turned 21.

I recently had my 24th anniversary with my current employer. I got to thinking the other day that probably half the people working there now weren't even born yet when I was hired.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I just realized today that for some reason I'd set my monitor to "Larger Text" instead of the default, which is the standard Retina display on an iMac. I've been considering reading glasses; I may start thinking about computer glasses, because I really do appreciate the normal amount of space on a standard display rather than the scaled display.

Also, damn, scaled displays are frickin' awesome these days. I don't mean the normal 1:2 Retina scale, but whatever scale my setting uses. Very different compared to my circa 2000 PowerBook.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I'm not that old* but I remember 2 million.

*Or maybe I'm so old I saw 1 but have forgotten it.

I cant seem to track it down, but Phil Ochs had a song with lyrics that said something like, "I'm gonna go to McDonalds, order a million hamburgers, and watch them change the sign."
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 PM

I've worn normal distance/close-up bifocals for years. I now have to wear close-up/really close-up bifocals as well. My ophthalmologist recommended trifocals, but the middle band would be used for the computer, and it wouldn't be deep enough.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:28 AM

Well, not exactly me but still, indirectly...

The phone rang yesterday at 9:20 pm and my first thought was : "I hope my parents are OK". It's the very first time that the possibility of them having a serious health issue has crossed my mind, up until then, I had always thought of my grand-mother when this happened.

The thing is my dad will be 73 in a couple of months. He's still pretty fit but I've noticed some subtle cognitive decline. For instance, he's a very experienced, careful driver. If I've ever felt absolutely safe in a car, it was with him behind the wheel. Yet, in the past year and a half, I've found myself thinking "Ooops, what the hell is he doing ?" twice. It's unsettling.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement

Last edited by Les Espaces Du Sommeil; 09-24-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:51 AM

I was rear ended a while ago. While telling the story, someone asked me about the other driver. Part of my description of her was that she was an old lady.

A few minutes later I recalled that, as we exchanged personal info post-crash, I noted to myself when seeing her driver's license that she was a year younger than me.

mmm
Old 09-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Ringo Starr is a GREAT-grandfather. His granddaughter Tatia had a baby boy.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 09-24-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 PM

Last night as I walked by some kid at a bus stop, he said "Hey, Grandma."
Old 09-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I was rear ended a while ago. While telling the story, someone asked me about the other driver. Part of my description of her was that she was an old lady.

A few minutes later I recalled that, as we exchanged personal info post-crash, I noted to myself when seeing her driver's license that she was a year younger than me.

mmm
"Old" has consistently been "ten years older than me" for some fifty years, now.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post
Quote:
I'm 73. My body hurt much less at 70.
When I was in my 20's, I called into work sick if I felt as bad as I now do every day.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 AM

When you used to have a rotary phone. When cashiers rang up your sale on a register and no scanning. sigh.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
When I was in my 20's, I called into work sick if I felt as bad as I now do every day.
Oh God-- that made me laugh right out loud! (71 here)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Yesterday when I ate lunch, I got the senior discount... without asking for it, or even asking if I wanted it.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I remember eating at the original McDonalds in San Bernardino, CA. Before they put the numbers on the sign.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:25 PM

There are two phrases I find myself saying more and more: "It used to seem so much bigger" and "It doesn't seem nearly that long ago." The latter especially. It's interesting to see it start happening with younger people. I was on a road trip with a group of folks, all just a little over 30. The topic of a suburban school district that our city schools annexed a while ago came up, and I looked up the date. None of them believed that it had been over ten years; they flat out thought I was lying.

A FWB offhandedly mentioned that she got a mailer from AARP the other day. This amused her. "How old do they think I am?" she asked with just a hint of outrage. I pointed out that we would both be 50 in just a few months. You could see the reality hit her.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 09-25-2019, 05:39 PM

I have to cringe inwardly when I hear someone mention the 90s, followed by "I know my age is showing" or "I know I'm dating myself."
Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 PM

I've been working at my current place of employment longer than several of my co-workers have been alive.

I've posted this before. A co-worker mentioned his age in conversation. I said to him, "when you were born I had already been working here 3 years".

He looked at me as if I'd just stated I had fought in the Civil War.

mmm
Old 09-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
She said: "You were in college in the '80s???? My mom was still in high school in the '80s!"
When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And even that song is now a decade and a half old.