Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Sure, but those dishes definitely originated in those countries. French fries, on the other hand, are more ambiguous. Sure, they were popularized in America through the French, but it's possible that Belgians invented the dish first, according to records.

But, even if they did create them, I'd argue that the fast food fry is not really the same dish as the original French fried potato. I consider it an American invention. As does a lot of the world, who call them "American fries" to distinguish them from other kinds.
“American fries” is wrong, and an ignorant statement by those unfamiliar with American food. America has many varieties of fried potatoes. Only one kind is French cut.

Whether or not the dish originated in France or Belgium is debated. But either way, the potatoes are French cut, hence the name.

ETA: I’d favor calling them “julienne fries” but that’s harder for people to say, spell and remember.

Last edited by Atamasama; 06-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

My grandfather fought with the Stroopwafel during WWII.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
My grandfather fought with the Stroopwafel during WWII.
To me it sounds like a flotilla of edible zeppelins.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Whether or not the dish originated in France or Belgium is debated. But either way, the potatoes are French cut, hence the name.
That is most likely not why they are called French fries. I've mentioned this before, as there seems to be a misapprehension that the etymology of the phrase comes from the type of cut.

See thread here.

Quote:
Frites spread to America where they were called French fried potatoes. You asked how they got their name--pretty obvious, I'd say: they came from France, and they were fried potatoes, so they were called "French fried potatoes." The name was shortened to "french fries" in the 1930s.

By the way, the verb "to french" in cooking has come to mean to cut in long, slender strips, and some people insist that "french fries" come from that term. However, the French fried potato was known since the middle 1800s, while the OED cites the first use of the verb "to french" around 1895, so it appears pretty convincing that "french fried potatoes" came before the verb "frenching." The origin of the name is thus the country of origin French and not the cooking term french.
Every reputable etymology source I've read suggests that they are not named after the cut, but rather the (supposed) country of origin.

ETA: Actually, let me also cite Etymonline:

Quote:
1903, American English, earlier French fried potatoes (by 1856); see French (adj.) + fry (v.). Literally "potatoes fried in the French style." The name is from the method of making them by immersion in fat, which was then considered a peculiarity of French cooking.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-07-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Dbl. Post., sorry
Not a double post, you supersized it!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I see the name, and I instantly think "Schutzstaffel McFlurry." What kind of dessert would that be?
One that is racially pure and perfectly reflects the values of our beloved Fuhrer and Fatherland. Seig heil! (sometimes I scare myself).
Old 06-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
But next. Tomato Mozzarella Chicken Sandwich. Canada. Yes, Canada. Now, I’ve been to Canada. Many excellent food-items have at least a de-minimis Canadian feel or connection. If you wanted to stereotype, you could make a Canadian Tyre sandwich. Or a Maple Glazed Donut Quarter Pounder. Fucking Mozarella?
What's your problem, mac? It's made with the finest Canadian vine tomatoes from the Niagara Peninsula, kissed by the mist from Niagara Falls, mozzarella handmade by Amish in St. Jacobs which at some point involves beating it with a stick in a wooden maple tub, and a chicken that was certified Canadian-born from a Canadian egg, and which before its untimely demise had been looking forward to about as good a life as a flightless fowl could have. What could be more Canadian than that?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That is most likely not why they are called French fries. I've mentioned this before, as there seems to be a misapprehension that the etymology of the phrase comes from the type of cut.

See thread here.

Every reputable etymology source I've read suggests that they are not named after the cut, but rather the (supposed) country of origin.

ETA: Actually, let me also cite Etymonline:
Hmm, the Stack Exchange thread uses the same sources I used. Granted, I was referencing “French fried potatoes” which predates the later term “French fries”. But even that thread acknowledges that the potatoes are cooked in the “French style” which doesn’t necessarily mean that the name necessitates a French origin for the dish. I may have been incorrect about the French cut, though it seems far too coincidental to me that julienne potatoes are called French fries and all other cuts have different names.

In any case, arguing about something apocryphal is somewhat useless. Insisting that they shouldn’t be called French because maybe they aren’t is absurd. Calling them “American” is no less accurate.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
However, I'm afraid that by mentioning the name...you may have accidentally given away the identity of the restaurant. As you say, that's just mean.
Wow, I guess my eyes skipped over the first part of that paragraph...

Quote:
Ok, the stroopwafel is quintessentially Dutch. I’ll give them that. Of course, no right-thinking, never-drink-the-water, bicycle-riding speed-skating enthusiast would ever violate a stroopwafel in this way. Civilized people, heck - humans - know to put the thing over their cup of tea or coffee, let it slightly soften, and bite chunks out of it to make funny shapes. Blending it with whatever that flurry stuff is, is anathema. But, at least, the name is (partly) Dutch, as is the (shudder) inspiration.
...because I was thinking "Jeez! Don't tell me you're sticking two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions between those whisper-thin caramel/wafer disks! That's gonna flop out all over your lap!"

But just serving it with ice cream? I recall that Swensens Ice Cream Parlors used to put a tiny one on the side of my SideCar sundae -- it was the sidecar on the sundae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
Teratoma burgers = White Castle's sliders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I'm sorry, waiter, I asked for two more burgers.
Well, first off, buddy, my name isn't Tera*...

-----------

I must say I concur that the rant was well-written and humorous, if slightly misplaced.

--G!

* It's Ralph, but that's a whole 'nother joke...
Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmm, the Stack Exchange thread uses the same sources I used. Granted, I was referencing “French fried potatoes” which predates the later term “French fries”. But even that thread acknowledges that the potatoes are cooked in the “French style” which doesn’t necessarily mean that the name necessitates a French origin for the dish. I may have been incorrect about the French cut, though it seems far too coincidental to me that julienne potatoes are called French fries and all other cuts have different names.

In any case, arguing about something apocryphal is somewhat useless. Insisting that they shouldn’t be called French because maybe they aren’t is absurd. Calling them “American” is no less accurate.
I don't see the issue with calling them "American fries." The way American fast food fries are cut, they do seem different than anywhere else. Yes, there are many types of "American fries," but, internationally, the first one I would expect people to think of is the kind you get from American fast food establishments like McDonald's or BK or Wendy's. So what's wrong with calling them "American fries"? They're different than chips, they're different than pommes frites, and if I saw "American fries" on a menu in Germany, I would know exactly what they're talking about.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Having no problem with helping derailing my own thread, since by rights it should’ve died at post 3:
True fries are Belgian, more specifically Flemish. I know this because that’s what they were called when/were I grew up. One of the theories of the application of “French” to fries is that US servicemen were served fries with everything in Belgium ( everything is served with fries in Belgium - if they had had the Irish potato blight, Holland would border France like in the good-old day’s, but I digress from digressing), by French speaking Walloons. Hence: French fries. Of course true Belgian fries are twice-fried and come with mayonnaise-based sauces, so maybe not calling them Belgian or Flemish is some sort of truth in advertising.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Not a double post, you supersized it!
She's good at that.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Having no problem with helping derailing my own thread, since by rights it should’ve died at post 3:
True fries are Belgian, more specifically Flemish. I know this because that’s what they were called when/were I grew up. One of the theories of the application of “French” to fries is that US servicemen were served fries with everything in Belgium ...
I'm fine with fries, French or otherwise. I'm fine with Belgians. The problem with referring to fries as "Flemish" is the implication (due to an inspiration by Dave Barry) that they were made with flem -- or, more properly, with phlegm:

Phlegm /ˈflɛm/ (Greek: φλέγμα "inflammation, humour caused by heat") is a liquid secreted by the mucous membranes of mammals. Its definition is limited to the mucus produced by the respiratory system, excluding that from the nasal passages, and particularly that which is expelled by coughing (sputum).
Old 06-08-2019, 12:18 AM

Please guide me on this...

The OP is some sort of joke, right?
No-one in this world is *actually* as stupid as Isosleepy pretends to be, right?
Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 AM

I thought this was going to be about Hardee’s and their new ads touting the utter lack of any veggies—even tomato, lettuce, or onion—on some of their sandwiches. Which may actually be very smart, capitalistically speaking, but is certainly appalling and sad.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
One that is racially pure and perfectly reflects the values of our beloved Fuhrer and Fatherland. Seig heil! (sometimes I scare myself).
So. Plain vanilla mcflurry?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
Please guide me on this...

The OP is some sort of joke, right?
No-one in this world is *actually* as stupid as Isosleepy pretends to be, right?
Well, you should at least be ready to entertain the possibility that not everyone is as obviously brilliant as you. But to answer your question, my posts pretty accurately reflect my level of stupidity. What you take from them, of course, might reflect yours.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Well played.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Bitch,
Old 06-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
To me it sounds like a flotilla of edible zeppelins.
Mmmmmmmm. Edible Zeppelins.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

We come from the land of the Icy McFlurry
and the midnight pie and the hot fries hurry
Old 06-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

I just want to thank the OP for his mis-aimed rant, because it gave me the opportunity to try a Tomato Mozzarella Chicken Sandwich for the low, low price of one Canadian penny. It wasn't bad, although the sauce was a little spicy for me.

My friend had the Stroopwafel McFlurry, which looked delicious. I plan to go back next week to try it.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I was gonna do that on Thursday but we ransacked the house and big box o' furrin' coins had disappeared somewhere. The next morning I walk into the volunteer office at the museum I volunteer for and right on top of the file cabinet was a UK penny. We have three hand cranked Mutoscopes that take quarters and the woman who empties them keeps finding stray coins.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Mmmmmmmm. Edible Zeppelins.
Lithuania is famous for its edible zeppelins! Well, famous among those who know Lithuanian cooking, at least.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I thought it was a very lovely rant, like the kind we had in the good old days. I particularly liked these lines:
However, I'm afraid that by mentioning the name of the Stroopwafel McFlurry, you may have accidentally given away the identity of the restaurant. As you say, that's just mean.

Personally, I've always found our local Stroopwafel perfectly cromulent, and don't understand the OP's hostility to all things Stroopwafelian.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lithuania is famous for its edible zeppelins! Well, famous among those who know Lithuanian cooking, at least.
I literally drooled looking at that picture and it's not even breakfast yet.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe the geniuses at Hamburger University...
My brother drove the van for Hambuger U. Yes, kids, it exists for at least one burger chain.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Personally, I've always found our local Stroopwafel perfectly cromulent, and don't understand the OP's hostility to all things Stroopwafelian.
Your reading comprehension is suboptimal. I love the stroopwafel, and abhor the notion of blending it with almost-but-really-not-at-all ice cream. In the OP, I even lay out the time tested proper way to consume this confectionary slice of heaven. Stroopwafels are proof of man’s ability to achieve true greatness, in packages that are no bigger than my hand, and literally wafer-thin. Man has come up with other small yet mighty expressions of genius: the ic or chip comes to mind. But unlike computer chips, the stroopwafel never was subject to a Moore’s law, being perfect since time immemorial, or at least 1908.

Last edited by Isosleepy; 06-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
FINALLY, someone who knows how to cook! "Then grate some onion." Eyeball Cookery! "Yeah, about yea should do it."
Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
I lived in Australia for nearly 20 years, ate at McDs regularly and have never heard of cheesy bacon fries. I’ll happily admit to being oblivious to the latest food trends, but I struggle to believe that it was an Australian “favourite” if they were even sold there.
From the Californian part of Australia: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bacon-cheese-fries/
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I literally drooled looking at that picture and it's not even breakfast yet.
If you like potatoes, bacon, sour cream, and onions, hie thee to a Lithuanian restaurant and all your culinary dreams will be granted.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I looked up 'lithuanian restaurant' on Yelp immediately after my post and every one is on the other side of town, thirty miles away, for some reason.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Oh, I looked up 'lithuanian restaurant' on Yelp immediately after my post and every one is on the other side of town, thirty miles away, for some reason.
Could be worse. You could still be in Carson City. Pretty sure you're gonna have to go farther than 30 miles.