Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 PM

The board has definitely become a lot more polarized than it used to be, sometimes it does feel like a political echo chamber. The Pit seems like it used to be more of a "you know what really grinds my gears" type of thing and would be a silly complaint about that guy that sold you the popcorn at the movie theater with too little butter. Now its usually over the top vitriol and usually if not directly political, aimed at a fellow poster's politics.

The other weird thing I notice is it seems like the same questions just get asked over and over again, and the same threads appear to be the only ones active for months at a time or something.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Or "My post is my cite" Aldebaran.
"Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time, a long time"
Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I remember going to Dope-aween at your place the one year. (2004, I think?) At least, I think it was your place.
2003, I think. That's the one where Opal had problems keeping her pants on. Some sort of game she was playing, God help me.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
The board has definitely become a lot more polarized than it used to be...
Yes indeed.
Quote:
The Pit seems like it used to be more of a "you know what really grinds my gears" type of thing and would be a silly complaint about that guy that sold you the popcorn at the movie theater with too little butter. Now its usually over the top vitriol and usually if not directly political, aimed at a fellow poster's politics.
And this. ISTM that the Pit used to be, for lack of a better word, more light-hearted. More like "playing the dozens" than actually serious attacks on another poster. Entertainingly over-the-top insults are one thing. Six pages of repeating "you racist troll" is another.

I would attribute part of it to the rule change where we can call each other trolls in the Pit. We can't say "fuck you" in the Pit, because (among other reasons) it is too mindless and easy. ISTM that calling another poster a troll has some of the same effect. Entertaining invective is better than just a insult or a "fuck you". If banning "fuck you" pushes the Dope into an entertaining direction, maybe banning "you're a troll, you troll troll troll" might do the same.

Although, as RTFirefly mentions, none of us are getting any younger. And old people are crotchety. And often insular as well.

Now get off my message board lawn.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The only thing I'm going to disagree with here is the 'faulty reasoning' thing. That sort of thing SHOULD be pointed out. If you don't understand that part of your process for arriving at a conclusion is based on faulty reasoning or false information, you're going to remain ignorant unless someone points it out.
+1

I would like to add that this Board has probably weathered the worst in terms of being adversely impacted by other technologies. I think there will always be people who actually want to debate things and share knowledge. Facebook is not a debate site. It is a place where people post pictures and text that basically say, "Look what I got/did/am going to do!" They expect "likes" and verbal praise and complimentary emojis. What they do NOT want is disagreement of any kind. I found that out the hard way, believe me.

In terms of resurrecting old topics, have the naysayers ever stopped to consider that circumstances may have changed over the intervening time period? For example, I create a post and someone immediately says, "Aha, we discussed that in length in a 2015 post." Well, a lot can happen in three years.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Fewer yaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7hVjZHp6YQ
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
In terms of resurrecting old topics, have the naysayers ever stopped to consider that circumstances may have changed over the intervening time period? For example, I create a post and someone immediately says, "Aha, we discussed that in length in a 2015 post." Well, a lot can happen in three years.
Sometimes that is true, but sometimes (as in the case of all the 911 threads) nothing new is ever presented, and yet we are expected to start all over again with arguments and cites. In cases like that, I think a simple "Here are a few links to where we already discussed all this. If you have anything new to add, please let us know" is the proper response.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Oh, I almost forgot: I also remember that for years there was a significant contingent of women who constantly discussed period issues on the board. I don't mean that it was an occasional topic, I mean that for a while there would always be at least two TMI threads running where there would be extended graphic discussion of the consistency of menstrual blood and various discharges.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

There was a time when people thought a poster's post count was an important stat, rather than their join date. Sure, us '99ers were soon recognized as special, but the quiet ones, like me, far less so.

I remember when we all marveled at the amount of work it must have taken handy to get his number up to 10,000 while hardly ever adding much of anything to the discussions..
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 PM

the politics thing isn't new I remember when bush junior and more than a few people were moving to either Canada or france I don't think anyone did ... ......... and I remember the thread that caused the no "you and him fight " is was esprix and someone else .... the thread ran 10 pages and neither adversary really posted anything to it it just turned into a huge joke thread ...... .........

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-17-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Moderation has tightened and become more codified over the years. Hell, over the past 12 months probably.

When I joined, there was a pro-mod consensus among the vocal. Complaints in the pit would generally be lodged by newbies, with much hilarity. Moderator sponsored smack-downs were epic.

At some point, the weight of vocal opinion shifted against the mod staff, for reasons that I personally ascribe to butthurt. Later, criticisms of moderation shifted from the Pit to ATMB. Butthurt hit a crescendo, then tapered off over the years. And here we are.

Board activity has declined a lot over the past 2 years. I have mixed feelings about that.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
At some point, the weight of vocal opinion shifted against the mod staff, for reasons that I personally ascribe to butthurt. Later, criticisms of moderation shifted from the Pit to ATMB. Butthurt hit a crescendo, then tapered off over the years. And here we are.
To be fair, the quality of the board's moderation dropped significantly three or so years ago.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Let's not forget there's a generational change. Grabbing my extra wide sawdust broom, there's a younger generation afoot with such a self-absorbed and short attention span, in-depth debate, argument, even silliness, is lost with them.
This makes me wonder how the age demographics have changed over the years. Back when I first joined, the World Wide Web was relatively new (or at least a toddler); but now that it's been more than a decade and a half, and the Internet has evolved. . . have the age statistics changed?

I miss the change in "post formatting." Back in the day if you were responding to a Doper, you bolded their name. If you wanted to quote them, you didn't just 'carpet quote' the whole thing. . . you took the time to address the sentences or paragraph one at a time--not a full rambling page in one quotation block. I think that made it more personal and legible. Nowadays, I understand that people are just so used to smartphones that they just go with what's easiest (smartphones weren't around as much in '01).

Tripler
But what the hell do I know? I double space after my sentence-ending periods.

Last edited by Tripler; 05-17-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
But what the hell do I know? I double space after my sentence-ending periods.

What Tripler said. And Oxford commas, too.