Old 05-01-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Karen Pence claims VP didn't know about the mask policy

Not only is she calling the Mayo Clinic a liar, but she's also contradicting her husband. The excuse he gave was bad enough, but here she is compounding the badness by making him out to be some clueless schmuck who was somehow oblivious to all the people wearing masks--including his own team. I know she's just standing by her man, but maybe she should sit her ass down somewhere and STFU. She's not helping him at all.
Yeah, that's even worse. I mean, If I step into a room and everyone there's wearing masks, my first thought will be that maybe I should be wearing a mask, too. Pence, though, is so disconnected from other human beings (or maybe just from "commoners") that it supposedly never even occurred to him.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:09 AM

Shame on the Mayo Clinic. They know better.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:33 AM

Now let's see if his boss can back up his words. Trump will be visiting Arizona next week and says he has "no problem" with wearing a face mask.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
My thought when I saw him and his arrogant response was the idiot probably thinks that God will protect him, so no need for the gear.
Well, dude does have a very special relationship with Jesus.

Gawd, I never thought I say this, but he is WORSE than Dan Quayle.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Toadying minion was finally shamed into wearing one.
Ouch. I kinda understand now why he didn't want to wear one.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Shame on the Mayo Clinic. They know better.
To my eternal irritation, there have been a number of opportunities for institutions to send a clear and direct message to this administration about their lack of respect of norms and rules. None have so far.

The excuse is always that they do not wish to "politicize" X or Y. But you fucking well politicized it by inviting the official to your lab/institute/school/whatever. So fuck off with that excuse of not wanting to politicize. Mayo Clinic would have sent the clearest message of all about the importance of following scientific/medical guidelines and they fucking pissed it away.

And while I've got a head of steam, Fauci (whom I've met and worked for at NIAID) needs to stop saying so-and-so "...is a bit optimistic...", or, "...it's a bit too soon...". Fucking say what you think, Tony. You won't get fired and nobody will think any less of you if you did.

For fuck sake, somebody just show a fucking spine when it matters!

Just FUCK.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Now let's see if his boss can back up his words. Trump will be visiting Arizona next week and says he has "no problem" with wearing a face mask.
Was he wearing a face mask when he said that?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Pence is simply a belated member of the Anti-Mask League.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:42 PM

Kinda sorta backtracking now, in a "town hall" sort of interview today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR
On Sunday, during a Fox News Channel town hall alongside President Trump, Pence reiterated that he is tested often and does not have COVID-19.

"I didn't think it was necessary, but I should have worn a mask at the Mayo Clinic," Pence added.
Better than nothing? Maybe. He did say it on Fox, so that's something.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 AM

This is why Pence is incrementally better than Trump. He is not a complete moron.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:30 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
This is why Pence is incrementally better than Trump. He is not a complete moron.
If that was the case, he would have worn a mask. And it wouldn't have taken him this long to realize he should have.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
But it's also why he's not as good of a politician. Now he's passed everyone off. Sensible people still think he's an idiot, and idiots now thing he's a wimp.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:24 AM

That's how you get yourself fired in the Don World. You can never ever under any circumstances admit that you were wrong about anything. Pence is toast.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If that was the case, he would have worn a mask. And it wouldn't have taken him this long to realize he should have.
He also wouldn't have made his wife lie for him.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Y'know, it occurs to me that we're all missing the point here. Pence really shouldn't have worn a mask at the Mayo Clinic.

What he should have done was stay away from the clinic entirely. Really, what does the visit accomplish that's worthwhile, at all? He got a chance to talk over plans with folks at the clinic? He could have done that over the phone. He wanted to raise his own visibility in preparation for the election? And why should a bunch of very busy people have to interrupt their very important work to accommodate that?
Old 05-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
This. It was dangerous messaging. There are a LOT of people out there that KNOW they don’t have COVID, mostly people that haven’t been sick and haven’t had direct contact with anyone for 4 weeks. Yet if any those people claimed they could forgo protections because they KNEW they weren’t sick, they’d be slapped down, as Pence should be.

I shouldn’t say this, but I have a version of this refrain from the musical A Chorus Line going through my head ..God, I hope he gets it, I hope he gets it......

I meant I hope he gets why what he did was wrong....
Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Now we have Trump not wearing a face mask while visiting a face mask factory. He probably couldn't find one.

What we have here is, I think, the same impulse that made the Monocle popular. as I argued a few years ago, the reason that rich and powerful men took to wearing monocles was because

a.) They needed vision correction, but
b.) they thought that wearing eyeglasses made them look WEAK.

Since contact lenses were in their infancy, and LASIK hadn't been invented yet, they took to wearing a single monocle, even though both eyes probably needed correction. If you were wearing a monocle, you weren't wearing those weak-eye guy spectacles, you were wearing a rich-and-powerful guy affectation. Moreover, it actually did correct your vision. There's an interesting eye-brain interaction where, if you correct the vision in your dominant eye, your brain sort of makes it seem as if vision in both eyes are corrected (there are lots of papers o this phenomenon). So you don't appear weak, but, paradoxically, strong.

Similarly, Trump and Pence simply cannot wear masks -- they'd look weak, instead of the powerful bulls they profess to be, striding defiantly into rooms where lesser mortals must cower in protective gear.

Unfortunately, unlike wearing a monocle, not wearing a mask doesn't even halfway solve the problem. They're still vulnerable. But they're also the nation's top executives -- they can afford the care of doctors, and can get ventilators if they need them.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

So why was the damn dirty lying sack of dung wearing goggles?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Now we have Trump not wearing a face mask while visiting a face mask factory.Unfortunately, unlike wearing a monocle, not wearing a mask doesn't even halfway solve the problem. They're still vulnerable. But they're also the nation's top executives -- they can afford the care of doctors, and can get ventilators if they need them.
I don't think Trump would survive a ventilator.

Pence I'm iffy on. He's in a target age group, but I haven't heard that he has any medical issues.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Of course he wouldn't. Depending on what study you read, anywhere from 25% to 97% of COVID19 patients put on a ventilator die. Cite.

Plus, I'm guessing someone would "accidentally" unplug the thing.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Of course he wouldn't. Depending on what study you read, anywhere from 25% to 97% of COVID19 patients put on a ventilator die. Cite.

Plus, I'm guessing someone would "accidentally" unplug the thing.
His room would need vacuuming occasionally.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
His room would need vacuuming occasionally.
I'm seeing Melanoma needing to charge her phone during a visit.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

Pence I'm iffy on. He's in a target age group, but I haven't heard that he has any medical issues.
He's insane. Acute paranoia manifesting itself as the conviction that his every move is being watched and judged by an invisible man in the sky.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 AM

I love that they cranked G&R "Live and Let Die" during his walkthrough. And it appeared that it was really cranked.