Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 PM

Pandemic shows us we need less sports not more. Thoughts?

Should America get a new sport? Invent a new sport, or do we need less sports in our lives?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-we-need-less/
Old 05-12-2020, 12:41 AM

My personal feeling is Iíve been so consumed with the Virus that in a way it has taken a lot of my energy to the point that I do not need sports as much as I thought. I was excited when the KBO debuted on ESPN: I watched a few innings, I was good.

I watched a couple UFC fights this weekend, I was good.

Iím looking forward to see what NASCAR gives us. I have a feeling Iíll be down for few dozen laps, and Iíll be good.

As a 4/4 Philly sports fan, check back with me when and if the Phillies, Eagles, Sixers and Flyers play again.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

The author certainly is a smug jackass. I hope he didn’t hurt himself straining his neck looking down at the unwashed.

Obviously, this isn’t a 9/11. We don’t have a week without sports and then they’re back.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The author certainly is a smug jackass. I hope he didnít hurt himself straining his neck looking down at the unwashed.
I don't have access to the Post without a subscription, but it does come off that way based on the premise of what we ''need''.

I'm managing OK without daily baseball scores and real news, but there's a void that isn't filled by gardening, Appreciating Great Art and Literature and obsessing about politics.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 AM

My life would be much better if Baseball was back. Especially in the time of Corona I could use a break every evening to watch the Dodgers play.

That being said all sports isn't equal so I'm jot watching UFC as a replacement or golf or nascar all of which bore me (not UFC, i just don't have cable or the urge to pay per view or watch old fights). I have ESPN+ as part of the Disney/hulu bundle and it is worthless. I was hoping to watch some KBO and they didn't have any of the games for streaming.

Once fall rolls around I don't know if I'll watch more or less football I've been drifting away for years but its a nice mindlessly entertaining 3 hours. I miss college football but its owned by ESPN and the conference networks and I don't miss it enough to drop that kind of cash.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Euro 2020 was supposed to start June 12. If God or a random wizard were to will the virus away, the explosion of passion and joy of tens of thousands of people celebrating football would be almost orgasmic. We need sport. Some of us anyway.

Last edited by madsircool; 05-12-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The column is incoherent. What's the thesis? Norm here says we need fewer sports. He doesn't actually ever clearly say WHY, though, and the column is more a Dave Barry style chain-of-conscoiusness, look-boss-here's-your-1100-words type deal than a coherent argument.

Here's something I think, something actually that just sprang into my head seven or eight years ago but the truth of which becomes more obvious to me all the time: Every second you spend criticizing other people's choices of entertainment is a stupid fucking waste of time. Criticizing people's favourite music? You're a moron, wasting your time. You sarcastically rip some guy for loving Fast and Furious movies? You're wasting your time. Sneer at pro wrestling fans? Waste of time. Think so-and-so should be reading the books you like instead of romance novels? Mind your own business, shithead. Shut up, shut up, shut up. I did that sort of thing once. I never will again, and I feel like an asshole for ever having done it.

Criticizing what other people do for diversion is dumb. It's for immature teenagers with more opinions than smarts. "Durrr people shouldn't watch sports" is one of the very dumbest versions of this. Let people have their fun.

Like, seriously, anyone who criticizes the fact I want baseball and basketball back can eat the peanuts out of my shit. I am a good person. I work hard and have contributed to society my whole life. I served my country in the armed forces. I take care of my kid and pay my taxes and obey the law. I ask for no thanks for any of that. I just want a paycheck and my rights as a citizen. I enjoy watching and listening to baseball and basketball games. It doesn't hurt anyone and I don't see how that is any less worthy a pursuit than any number of others.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 AM

No, we really need the diversion of sports right now. Something to take our mind away.

And that opening line: "A while ago — the exact year escapes me — I determined that someway, somewhere, in some manner or some fashion, most of us in America had somehow lost our minds" - indeed takes the cake for smuggest, smarmiest, better-than-the-99-percent-of-people article lead-in.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Apropos of nothing and a product of nothing but my own fevered imagination, I think the next great global sport hasn't been invented yet. But it will be soon.

Having voiced that irrelevant opinion, I'm really looking forward to six hours of Bundesliga futbol Saturday.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Here's something I think, something actually that just sprang into my head seven or eight years ago but the truth of which becomes more obvious to me all the time: Every second you spend criticizing other people's choices of entertainment is a stupid fucking waste of time. Criticizing people's favourite music? You're a moron, wasting your time. You sarcastically rip some guy for loving Fast and Furious movies? You're wasting your time. Sneer at pro wrestling fans? Waste of time. Think so-and-so should be reading the books you like instead of romance novels? Mind your own business, shithead. Shut up, shut up, shut up. I did that sort of thing once. I never will again, and I feel like an asshole for ever having done it.
This is right on. Enjoy your stuff, don't worry about what other like.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

People who rant about sports seem to believe that life is a zero sum game, that every second and dollar spent on sports could’ve gone to curing cancer or helping the homeless or writing a great novel. I think it’s because of seeing stuff like high schools building multimillion dollar stadiums at the expense of their textbook budget

Of course, by that logic, a whole range of human endeavor becomes harmful to civilization at large, including stuff that the authors probably enjoy themselves.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM

I'd watch Calvinball if it was televised.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:47 PM

I'd watch Calvinball if it was televised.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
And what if one finds criticizing other people's choice of entertainment to be entertaining?
Old 05-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
People who rant about sports seem to believe that life is a zero sum game, that every second and dollar spent on sports couldíve gone to curing cancer or helping the homeless or writing a great novel. I think itís because of seeing stuff like high schools building multimillion dollar stadiums at the expense of their textbook budget

Of course, by that logic, a whole range of human endeavor becomes harmful to civilization at large, including stuff that the authors probably enjoy themselves.
I don't know about all schools, but I do know that our school, the football team was self funded. Pretty much the only school money that went towards it was to pay the coaches to be teachers. I'm pretty sure that even the pay for them to be coaches came from ticket sales and alumni donations.

Had it been a tradeoff of textbooks for a new practice field, then I would be against that as well.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
As a 4/4 Philly sports fan, check back with me when and if the Phillies, Eagles, Sixers and Flyers play again.
Tell me about it. I just can't wait to see the look on your faces when we kick your ass straight outta PA.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 05-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, it’s not like if all ‘waste of time’ leisure activities disappeared, we’d all rush home from a brutal day at work, don our PPE and head to the basement chem lab and work the rest of the night finding a cure for cancer.

It’s weird that I’ll often read a group of words that looks like English and can’t figure it out, then I’ll realize it’s video game talk.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:11 AM

I think that the complete saturation of sport previously definitely devalued any individual event. Which isn't surprising.

This has proved that we can exist with less sport so maybe a bit of a correction will not be bad thing.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 AM

Sports should return. I could use some distractions right now.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM

I know more than a few people who have video games as a central pillar in their "self identity." For some reason they take an antagonistic attitude towards traditional sports. It makes no sense to me as the two things are largely unrelated but I have seen this several times now.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
My life would be much better if Baseball was back. Especially in the time of Corona I could use a break every evening to watch the Dodgers play.
Even if I was still stuck working at home half-time, a day game on the radio would be lovely right about now. Not even really listening to the game, just having it in the background.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The author certainly is a smug jackass. I hope he didnít hurt himself straining his neck looking down at the unwashed.

Obviously, this isnít a 9/11. We donít have a week without sports and then theyíre back.
Say wha? You realize Norman Chad is a sportswriter right and appears on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption from time to time? And this is a Sports Humor column that he writes for WaPo?

What is with you and the strange hot takes?
Old 05-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleFootDuck View Post
I know more than a few people who have video games as a central pillar in their "self identity." For some reason they take an antagonistic attitude towards traditional sports. It makes no sense to me as the two things are largely unrelated but I have seen this several times now.
I'm a longtime gamer (both video games and tabletop role-playing games), as well as being a sports fan, and I do sometimes see the "sports are stupid" attitude among my fellow gamers (though it's by no means universal).

My suspicion is that the attitude comes from two related factors:
1) Some gamers are (and always have been) non-athletes, weren't good at participating in sports when they were in school, and never became fans of sports.
2) Many of us who were non-athletic nerds in school were regularly teased and bullied by our classmates, many of whom were, themselves, jocks and sports fans.

The combination of the two probably left a very bad impression of sports, and the people who like sports, in their minds.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Even if I was still stuck working at home half-time, a day game on the radio would be lovely right about now. Not even really listening to the game, just having it in the background.
I'm sure I speak for my fellow cricket-loving dopers when I say that the loss of "Test Match Special" is a big, big loss. part of the soundtrack to my summer days and winter nights. Balm for the soul it is.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
People who rant about sports seem to believe that life is a zero sum game, that every second and dollar spent on sports couldíve gone to curing cancer or helping the homeless or writing a great novel. I think itís because of seeing stuff like high schools building multimillion dollar stadiums at the expense of their textbook budget

This take reminds me of a quote by Stan Lee of Marvel Fame that basically says "Don't be embarrassed to work in entertainment, people need entertainment or else they'll go crazy and it's just as valuable as any other walk of life."

I actually think about this quote a lot and think it rings very true, especially nowadays. Sports falls into this category too.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I'm sure I speak for my fellow cricket-loving dopers when I say that the loss of "Test Match Special" is a big, big loss. part of the soundtrack to my summer days and winter nights. Balm for the soul it is.
The fact that Shaheen Afridi was going to rip through your overrated Top-order this summer as Wasim Akram used to, means that for your its probably a good thing.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:32 PM

What really grates me as a sports fan is that this was going to be such a great year for sports.
Olympics, Euro2020, T20 Cricket World Cup, plus of course the Tennis and F1.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:36 PM

I don't know about "need" but I can see an effect of the casual watchers, who had gravitated towards sports as an easily accessible way to fill the time, might be getting out of the habit, by being forced to find other things, and may never come back.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
The fact that Shaheen Afridi was going to rip through your overrated Top-order this summer as Wasim Akram used to, means that for your its probably a good thing.
After the last year's cricket I'd steer clear of confident predictions of any kind.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
After the last year's cricket I'd steer clear of confident predictions of any kind.
True.
Rumours are that the Test series may be on with "rigorous safety measures"? It would be surreal to watch.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:46 AM

Esports are doing well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-TkXOk&ampcf=1
Old 05-15-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
What really grates me as a sports fan is that this was going to be such a great year for sports.
Olympics, Euro2020, T20 Cricket World Cup, plus of course the Tennis and F1.
And Liverpool winning the Premier League.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
And Liverpool winning the Premier League.
That was one small mercy in all of this.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Over the past decade or so, I've become increasingly detached from spectator sports for a variety of reasons. But in a world where even the fight (or lack thereof) against a worldwide pandemic has been politicized and polarized to a fare-thee-well, sports would be a hell of a pleasant escape from all that. The crack of the bat would be music to my ears right now.