Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Are drive-in movies open?

I know they're not as common as they used to be, but there are still some in business.

Have they been allowed to operate during the lockdown? The people watching the movie are all in their own car, which seems like adequate social distancing.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 AM

There are a few in Arkansas. The local news did a piece on them.
They're open and thriving. One is even getting 1st run new releases.
The concession stands are closed.
B.Y.O.snacks.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-13-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

The one I'm familiar with is open, but with some restrictions.
Quote:
Tickets will be pre-sold through our website. Our capacity will be at 50% and guest will be required to park in every other spot.

Concessions will be done through an app called FanFood, then will be picked up at our pick up window. ...

We will be showing a single feature, rather than a double feature to keep rest room use down. Our Playground will also be closed. Guests are required to stay in their vehicle's and park facing forward. No hatches will be allowed up.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:55 AM

We havent had a drive in movie theater in 30 years.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 AM

One is planning to open in Michigan this weekend. This is against Gov edicts.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:30 AM

There is one left in our area. It has about four screens, so if you find yourself bored with what you are watching, you can turn 90 degrees and watch another one. If you want to listen, just retune your radio to that screen's channel.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 AM

There is one open in my metropolitan area. Unfortunately it's on one edge and I'm on the opposite edge. A 150-mile round trip for a movie is not gonna happen.

The concession stand is currently closed, but plans to reopen soon, and:

"We will not be playing bonus features at this time to cut down on restroom usage"
Old 05-13-2020, 09:05 AM

Last month, the one near me was the only one reporting box office results for new films.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...-ocala-florida
Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 AM

Northeast Ohio has a couple, I always try to take in at least one drive-in movie per summer. Just ain't summer to me without it.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

As far as I know, there aren't any drive-ins still in operation in the Chicago area; the last one was in West Chicago (which is, despite the name, not anywhere near the city itself), but I think it's been closed for the past year or so (though I think they still hope to reopen).

The nearest one, I believe, is in McHenry, which is about 50 miles northwest of the city (arguably the "far northwestern suburbs"). They do appear to be open, and their web page lists a number of precaustions that they are taking (and are asking patrons to take).
Old 05-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

There's a chain of drive-ins out here, and their closest location to me is running double features of The Hunt and The Invisible Man or Jumanji: The Next Level and Bad Boys for Life today and tomorrow. On Friday, it's The Wretched and Saturday they'll be premiering Fantasy Island.

I saw Jumanji three months ago, and the rest sounds awful, even if they are relatively new.

Then on the weekends, the flea market, er, swap meet is running, but apparently in a very different form than usual. No rusty tools and clothing of dubious authenticity:
Due to the shelter in place order, we are open with strict rules on what our vendors are approved to sell. Our vendors are set up with ESSENTIAL products. If you are in need of fresh produce, pre-packaged foods, paper products, toiletries, and cleaning supplies, we are here to serve you.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Sacramento still has a drive-in. They have a notice on their website stating they are still open, operating under the following rules:
  • You must stay in your car except to visit the restroom. (I take that to mean the concession stand must be closed)
  • You must wear a face covering if you do leave your car to go to the restroom.
  • Vehicles must be parked at least 10 feet apart.
  • They allow a limited number of people in the restroom at a time, except for an adult with a child.
  • Customers who don't follow these rules will be asked to leave.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-13-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
One is planning to open in Michigan this weekend. This is against Gov edicts.
What's the deal with Michiganites? Not a political jab, I truly am befuddled. Have they always been like this?
Old 05-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Three in my metro.

One isn't opening until June (but they were always a summer only theater). The other two were pretty much year round but shut down due to gov. orders. Now that they're relaxed they're back open. Limits to about half capacity coming in, spaces between cars. One is requiring masks and spread out lines at concessions. One I think is making you text in your order.

One is premiering something by an indie OKC filmmaker that's gonna be on Prime Streaming. As a promo, Amazon is setting tickets at $0.50 per car. I'd be interested in going, but it's the farthest theater, and they've been selling out their lines of cars (and I have no interest in seeing The Flinstones as the first half of the double feature).

Hoping the Guthrie one books Twister, as it's where they filmed the drive in scene in Twister.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
What's the deal with Michiganites? Not a political jab, I truly am befuddled. Have they always been like this?
https://imgflip.com/i/41bap4
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM

There's one in Vienna that will be reopening on Friday, and a temporary one will be opening at the airport in Salzburg soon. All traditional cinemas remain closed here.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:43 PM

In Indiana they are. Not only that but one that has been closed for years just reopened due to increased demand.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

A local town government on Long Island is starting its own series of drive-in movie showings. (Hope the link works and isn't paywalled.)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I checked my local drive-ins.

None are open at the moment. One has not announced any opening date. One has announced it will open next weekend but hasn't announced what it will be showing. The other two are opening this weekend and are showing the same two movies; Trolls World Tour and The Invisible Man. Neither of which I want to see.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:47 PM

Our local drive-in doesn't open until the end of May normally, so no word yet as to any changes. They already had phone ahead ordering, so I'm guessing just increased parking distance.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Best Western Movie Manor in Monte Vista CO is still in business, but I'm not sure if the season has started yet. You can watch from your room, your patio, or from your car.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 PM

gotpasswords replied for my area (hey, is the new Jumanji any good?)

Quote:
They're Americans.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:49 PM

A diner in Queens set up an inflatable screen in their parking lot and brings food to cars.

Last edited by mack; 05-13-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 AM

Drive in cinemas in Germany have been all but dying out but now they are opening all over the place, with municipialities‘ enthusiastic cooperation in making fair grounds and parking decks available. Registry offices and churches hold weddings and divine services there, and the first concerts and raves have been held there.

Last edited by Mops; 05-14-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I asked my brother, who has lived in Michigan for the last 25 or 30 years. He blames it on the pressure they're all constantly under to explain the mitten thing to people.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 PM

I saw an news article this morning about a restaurant in my old neighborhood in Queens.

They have transformed their parking lot into a drive-in movie theatre with a 25 ft screen on weekends. You can book your spot online, I think they said twenty buck per car. They have partnered with a local radio station to carry the audio.

Everyone is required to stay in their car, that is being strictly enforced. You can order food in advance or through your phone from the restaurant and they will bring it to your car. I think it’s a cool idea and maybe more restaurants will pick up on the idea.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...theater-051220

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-14-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd
gotpasswords replied for my area (hey, is the new Jumanji any good?)
It's Jumanji, fer cryin out loud, with The Rock and Jack Black. Don't go expecting to find any Oscar-worthy performances or writing. It's a fun distraction for two hours, at least, assuming you liked the first Jumanji remake and/or knockoffs like Zathura.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
It's Jumanji, fer cryin out loud, with The Rock and Jack Black. Don't go expecting to find any Oscar-worthy performances or writing. It's a fun distraction for two hours, at least, assuming you liked the first Jumanji remake and/or knockoffs like Zathura.
Not necessarily. I'd say it's the weakest of the four movies in the series. Unlike the first three movies, it didn't introduce a new setting or a new group of characters. This was basically a repeat of the third movie.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Spafford, a band I have been seeing for a year or two, is doing a live concert at a drive-in. Everyone is supposed to stay next to their car during the show, but I worry that the temptation to approach the stage will be too great for some people.

https://www.jambase.com/article/spaf...ert-livestream