Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 18,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
You're never going to get anywhere with this factual crap.
Yes, practically everyone on this board is aware of it, yet Republican presidential candidates keep getting elected. I can't understand it.
“I can’t understand how Nixon got re-elected. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”

— Pauline Kael, film reviewer, The New Yorker, 1972
__________________
Uke
  #52  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Actually, Linty, it's your fucking fault. You and all the bitchy-whiny entitled assholes who ceaselessly yammer about how much the Democrats suck and how they don't fight for the right things and how they're just as beholden to the power structure as the Republicans and bullshit bullshit, plus bullshit and did I mention bullshit?

It's all of that magnification of Democratic faults paired with the perverse overestimation of Democratic agency to make change in the minority and an accompanying blithe and seemingly intentional ignorance of how our government actually fucking works that keeps a substantial plurality of possible allies for progressive action discouraged with the only party even interested in promoting such action. That plus the hand waving of Republican intransigence and the assignment of blame to "both parties" and it's a nice formula for depressing voter turnout.

Fuck the fucking fucknuggets doing this shit. Try shutting the fuck up for a minute.
Damn, I take back what I said about this board. Any board where Harvey Keitel has 5,000+ posts is far from dying.

And I'm not going to shut up, OK? Why should I shut up? Am I telling you something you don't want to hear? I'm going to speak my mind. And then I'm going to speak it again. And then I'm going to speak it again and again and again and again until you get it through your head that we are in the situation we are in now, because the Democrats are broken. Kaputt. Abgefuckt. And it's not going to get better until we get better.

I know perfectly well how the government works, thank you. I've actually seen it work. We elected Obama. Twice. Don't go typing in fuck-speak and sweating all over your keyboard and tell me it can't be done. I've watched it done.

As far as depressing voter turnout, well do you think I'M bad, Harve? Then don't watch the news for the next six months, because as bad as I am, I'm ultimately on your side. I'm nowhere NEAR as bad as the Republicans are going to be. If a guy like me can get to a guy like you, maybe there's a reason that doesn't involve the malice of Republicans.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #53  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:51 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
No one we're going to get at this late date, and it beats the hell out of me. But as that 900-page Trump rant in the Pit shows, you don't have to have a solution to have a complaint, right? Maybe it's my turn to scream into the void.
I get that this is the pit, but I've seen you make posts in posts outside the pit.

I agree that Biden's not a sexy opponent for a variety of reasons, but what's fascinating is that he won the primaries by spending a lot less money than Bernie Sanders. Shit he didn't even campaign in Massachussetts - talk about getting bang for the buck.

But anyway, who's fault is it that Joe Biden is the nominee right now?
  #54  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:38 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
I know people who should know better who don't blame republicans for being bad. They are on a high horse about how bad the dems are too and want to lecture you on the fact that they will not vote for Clinton ever, or Biden ever or who ever.

They are the lost. THey dont' feel like they have any real meaning in their lives except to "object" to those around them for narcisistic fuel. Someone just told me that Trump is no worse than Obama and that he does not watch trump on tv cause he doesn't have to, he has other "sources"

He's not even watching the pandemic response and he is equating O and T. And he says he's to the left of me!
  #55  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:40 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
who's fault is it that Joe Biden is the nominee right now?
You don't see yourself in that mix?
  #56  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:05 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
You don't see yourself in that mix?
Sure, but I voted for Biden. I'm cool with it.

I didn't see better options out there that were realistic.
  #57  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:41 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Sure, but I voted for Biden. I'm cool with it.

I didn't see better options out there that were realistic.
How many times have you gone back and revisited the word "realistic" in the last 4 years? I do it every day.
  #58  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM
k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post

At what point do people realize that Republicans are bad at governing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
That old saying, ‘those who despise government, govern despicably’, rings true sometimes.
Democrats believe that the government can solve many of our problems, and ask you to vote for them to prove it.

Republicans believe that the government is the source of all of our problems, and ask you to vote for them to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
In fact if Trump had done the right thing and prolonged stay at home orders the economy would suffer the more for it. He still should have, but the recession was inevitable.
Starting the stay at home earlier would have been far better, both from the medical and the economic standpoint.

If we had just done the low level of social distancing, avoiding large gatherings, staying apart, reducing capacity at restaurants and bars, we may have never needed to go to the great lengths that we have had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
No one we're going to get at this late date, and it beats the hell out of me. But as that 900-page Trump rant in the Pit shows, you don't have to have a solution to have a complaint, right? Maybe it's my turn to scream into the void.
My solution is to support the Democratic Party, both in giving them my vote this fall, and encouraging others to do so as well.

Your solution seems to be to throw a tantrum if you don't get everything exactly as you wanted.

My solution may fail, but yours doesn't even try.
  #59  
Old 05-15-2020, 12:59 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Democrats believe that the government can solve many of our problems, and ask you to vote for them to prove it.
Then when we put them in the White House and give them majorities in both houses of Congress, they handcuff themselves by leaving the filibuster in place, drastically limiting how much they can do to solve those problems.

Then they wonder why many of their voters stay home when the midterms roll around, and the GOP retakes Congress as a result.

1994, 2010, and all too probably 2022.
  #60  
Old 05-15-2020, 01:41 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
How many times have you gone back and revisited the word "realistic" in the last 4 years? I do it every day.
I appreciate the Socratic method as much as anyone, but do you have a point to make or are we just askin questions?
  #61  
Old 05-15-2020, 01:49 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
How many times have you gone back and revisited the word "realistic" in the last 4 years? I do it every day.
I appreciate the Socratic method as much as anyone, but do you have a point to make or are we just askin questions?
  #62  
Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM
k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Then when we put them in the White House and give them majorities in both houses of Congress, they handcuff themselves by leaving the filibuster in place, drastically limiting how much they can do to solve those problems.

Then they wonder why many of their voters stay home when the midterms roll around, and the GOP retakes Congress as a result.

1994, 2010, and all too probably 2022.
Yes, the democrats tried to hold onto the norms and "unwritten" rules that had served our country in the past, well after they should have acknowledged that the republicans had scrapped any sense of desire to govern, rather than rule.
  #63  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:10 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
My solution is to support the Democratic Party, both in giving them my vote this fall, and encouraging others to do so as well.

Your solution seems to be to throw a tantrum if you don't get everything exactly as you wanted.

My solution may fail, but yours doesn't even try.
What makes you think I'm not going to vote in 2020? I'll hold my nose and vote for Biden unless something REALLY bad comes to light. Just don't ask me to suffer in silence.

And if the people you're encouraging to vote Dem this year say no, you might want to listen to their reasons.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash
  #64  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:41 PM
k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
What makes you think I'm not going to vote in 2020? I'll hold my nose and vote for Biden unless something REALLY bad comes to light. Just don't ask me to suffer in silence.

And if the people you're encouraging to vote Dem this year say no, you might want to listen to their reasons.
What makes me think you will not vote for Biden in 2020? Mostly your complaining and insulting of Biden. And, even if you do hold your nose and vote for him, the fact that you have announced to the world that you had to hold your nose discourages others from voting for him.

I don't have to listen to their reasons, as I understand them. I supported Bernie heavily in 2016, and had a bit of a preference for him over Biden this time. (Though actually I was a big fan of Yang, even though I knew he had no chance.

However, once Bernie was no longer a viable candidate, I did not complain and whine about not getting my way. I supported the person who was best in a position to advance my goals.

At this point, complaining about not being able to vote for Bernie only helps Trump. You may not mean to be helping Trump, but that is the effect of your actions when you disparage everything about the democrats for not running your preferred candidate.

And I've listened to the reasons, and they all boil down to if they want to have their way, no matter how many are opposed to it. They'd rather have Trump than not get their way. After I listen to their reasons, will they listen to mine? I think not, in fact, I know not, as that was how it played out in 2016.

It's stubbornness, that's all it is. And stubbornness does not work in a democracy. We have to make compromises, as no two people have the same exact goals, and no two people have the same exact revulsions. We have to work together to achieve our shared goals, and to compromise on our differences. If you refuse to compromise, then you refuse the most basic tenet of self governing.

The reason that the republican party is such a mess is because they catered to their fringe, they moved to the right to accommodate those who would not compromise. I don't want to see the democrats do the same, as there needs to be at least one adult in the room when it comes to governing.
  #65  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Let's look at the track record of Republican presidents:
Here is a simple summation for you.

'Nuff said.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #66  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:46 PM
k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,809
ETA: man, these 502 timeouts are probably intentional to pad the post count, aren't they?

Last edited by k9bfriender; 05-15-2020 at 02:48 PM.
  #67  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:51 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
Damn, I take back what I said about this board. Any board where Harvey Keitel has 5,000+ posts is far from dying.
I'm picturing your dialogue delivered by Leo Getz (Joe Pesci's character in Lethal Weapon 2).

Quote:
Am I telling you something you don't want to hear? I'm going to speak my mind. And then I'm going to speak it again. And then I'm going to speak it again and again and again and again until you get it through your head that we are in the situation we are in now, because the Democrats are broken. Kaputt. Abgefuckt. And it's not going to get better until we get better.
"We" get better when we participate in democracy. We do that by voting in every election, by researching the available candidates, by communicating in real ways (phone calls, townhall attendance, etc.) instead of online petitions and social media pontificating, and by educating other citizens in helpful ways about those candidates, our government and all the resources for interacting with that government. You, motherfucker, are loud, wrong, and in the goddam way.

Quote:
I know perfectly well how the government works, thank you. I've actually seen it work. We elected Obama. Twice. Don't go typing in fuck-speak and sweating all over your keyboard and tell me it can't be done. I've watched it done.
Oh, fuck off. You're the genius saying it can't be done with the people we have in office and running for office. Pining for Obama -or any specific 'savior'- won't get it done. Here's an Obama quote for you: "We are the ones we've been waiting for." I'm sure you remember that quote (he actually borrowed the line from the poet June Jordan by way of Alice Walker). I'm just not sure you understood exactly what he meant by it.

You want your particular demographic to be listened to and your views or preferences to be represented in government? Then convince everyone you know to be a reliable voter, instead of showing how cynically savvy you are by enthusiastically pointing out Democratic suckitude wherever you find it.

Quote:
As far as depressing voter turnout, well do you think I'M bad, Harve? Then don't watch the news for the next six months, because as bad as I am, I'm ultimately on your side. I'm nowhere NEAR as bad as the Republicans are going to be. If a guy like me can get to a guy like you, maybe there's a reason that doesn't involve the malice of Republicans.
So your argument is "Hey, don't be mad at me; sure I'm doing the Republicans' job for them, but I'm not as good at it as they are!" Fucking brilliant rejoinder there, Joey Fishes.
  #68  
Old 05-15-2020, 05:52 PM
Sdowiat is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 61

If Democrats would ditch radical leftist stuff....


One of the main reasons Dems can't keep power is because they are so prone to pander and placate the fringe radical leftist and get lots of the mainstream afraid that they would really focus on that stuff... and this time they are pandering to leftist harder than ever.

Yes... they would lose some hard left voters, but I'm betting that they would gain a lot of the middle if they:

Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.

Do stress more love for the country and the need to keep a strong military. Democrats USED to do that!

Pick some spending ( other than the wall & military) that they are against. Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.

Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions including those that follow the Quran.

Quit hating on all the rich folks. Most of them worked hard for their money and deserve every penny. And if they are going to keep demonizing them then at least be consistent and do it to celebrities too.

Quit being against big business just because they are big. They provide jobs and services that collectively far outweigh the bad.

Recognize that at least sometimes the white guy IS the GOOD guy. Support people based on their character more and based on what color or nationality they are less.

These are the kinds of things that would make moderate voter / middle of the road folks more attracted to the Democrat party and could pull them away from Republicans.... But they will never do any of them.
  #69  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:15 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
One of the main reasons Dems can't keep power is because they are so prone to pander and placate the fringe radical leftist and get lots of the mainstream afraid that they would really focus on that stuff... and this time they are pandering to leftist harder than ever.

Yes... they would lose some hard left voters, but I'm betting that they would gain a lot of the middle if they:

Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.

Do stress more love for the country and the need to keep a strong military. Democrats USED to do that!

Pick some spending ( other than the wall & military) that they are against. Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.

Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions including those that follow the Quran.

Quit hating on all the rich folks. Most of them worked hard for their money and deserve every penny. And if they are going to keep demonizing them then at least be consistent and do it to celebrities too.

Quit being against big business just because they are big. They provide jobs and services that collectively far outweigh the bad.

Recognize that at least sometimes the white guy IS the GOOD guy. Support people based on their character more and based on what color or nationality they are less.

These are the kinds of things that would make moderate voter / middle of the road folks more attracted to the Democrat party and could pull them away from Republicans.... But they will never do any of them.
Most US voters support democratic socialist policies. Republcans win by cheating, and propaganda, using straw men to manipulate low information voters.
  #70  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:24 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.
Stop standing up for marginalized minorities when conservatives arbitrarily start attackig them to drive up their poll numbers? Two things about that. 1) No. 2) Go fuck yourself.

Hey, here's an idea: maybe if the Republican stopped catering to shit-eyed bigots, they wouldn't need to cheat to win elections! "But if they stopped catering to shit-eyed bigots," wails Sdowiat, "Where will I go?"

And the answer is, ideally, "away."
  #71  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 10,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
...
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff... .
Right wing douche-fucking-nozzles were and are the only dumb mother fuckers worried about this.
  #72  
Old 05-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scenic Uncanny Valley
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Fucking brilliant rejoinder there, Joey Fishes.
OK, first of all, a little advice: No one actually says "Joey Fishes," OK? It's lame. The only ones who do are fat obnoxious incel mob-wannabes who want to sound like they could fit in with Italian dudes at strip clubs, or whatever they think Italian dudes and strip clubs are supposed to look like. I mean, there they'll be on the Internet screaming and crying because someone disagrees with them about politics, and they keep getting more and more worked-up, and first they tell they guy to shut up, and the guy laughs at him, and then they tell the guy to fuck off, and the guy just laughs at him some more, and then they just get all hyper and pissed-off at the Internet, just sweating away in their sleeveless T-shirts (which they really shouldn't wear, I mean seriously), screaming more and more on a Saturday night until they're typing in caps and italics until people who had been agreeing with them a few posts ago finally say, "Yeah, dude, he's not with us," and they finally sign off in a snit and stress-eat an entire carton of ice cream that they got at Costco that morning, 'cause the other three cartons they got the week before are gone, man, and go watch Goodfellas or whatever for the third time that week and scream their solidarity with the gangsters doing dumbass gangster stuff until the angina catches up with them and they have to pop a double dose of their blood pressure medication and go to bed--alone--and wake up at 9:30 on a Saturday morning with a tension headache.

I'm only telling you this in case you have friends like this, and you can warn them if they start to act like that. You're welcome!

Quote:
You, motherfucker, are loud, wrong, and in the goddam way.
It's who I am, Harv. It's what I do.
__________________
It's money or time, so make up your mind.
--Grandmaster Flash

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 05-15-2020 at 07:42 PM.
  #73  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 PM
road_lobo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
One of the main reasons Dems can't keep power is because they are so prone to pander and placate the fringe radical leftist and get lots of the mainstream afraid that they would really focus on that stuff... and this time they are pandering to leftist harder than ever.

Yes... they would lose some hard left voters, but I'm betting that they would gain a lot of the middle if they:

Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.

Do stress more love for the country and the need to keep a strong military. Democrats USED to do that!

Pick some spending ( other than the wall & military) that they are against. Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.

Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions including those that follow the Quran.

Quit hating on all the rich folks. Most of them worked hard for their money and deserve every penny. And if they are going to keep demonizing them then at least be consistent and do it to celebrities too.

Quit being against big business just because they are big. They provide jobs and services that collectively far outweigh the bad.

Recognize that at least sometimes the white guy IS the GOOD guy. Support people based on their character more and based on what color or nationality they are less.

These are the kinds of things that would make moderate voter / middle of the road folks more attracted to the Democrat party and could pull them away from Republicans.... But they will never do any of them.
You call these jokes? Your punchlines suck.
  #74  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:06 PM
River Hippie's Avatar
River Hippie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N.E. Indiana, USA
Posts: 6,013
Because of the way Republicans treated Obama and because of the way Trump has governed thus far and because of the way Republicans have defended Trump at all costs, I am a straight ticket Dem voter for life. Maybe... if some third party realistically stood a chance of defeating Republicans I would consider them but Republicans have revealed themselves to be so corrupt and toxic that I will never again consider casting a vote for anyone willing to affix that R to their name. I have been a Democrat all along but I have voted for Republicans in the past. Never again. Never.
  #75  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:19 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Because of the way Republicans treated Obama and because of the way Trump has governed thus far and because of the way Republicans have defended Trump at all costs, I am a straight ticket Dem voter for life. Maybe... if some third party realistically stood a chance of defeating Republicans I would consider them but Republicans have revealed themselves to be so corrupt and toxic that I will never again consider casting a vote for anyone willing to affix that R to their name. I have been a Democrat all along but I have voted for Republicans in the past. Never again. Never.
My sentiments exactly, except I was a lifelong independent who generally voted with Democrats with an occasional Republican thrown in. For the first time in my life, I am a registered Democrat as of late April 2020.

As you put it so well, never again. Never.
  #76  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.

You damn liar. That absolutely is not the position of the Democratic Party. You're obviously going on a politically-based rant on this issue, but the science is that there are actual legitimate medical reasons to have an abortion. Of course your side is not anti-abortion as evidenced by their acceptance of abortion in the cases of incest or rape. What? That fetus is not a real fetus? Also, they lie so much about their rationalie/justification for their so-called anti-abortion stance. What they say it says is not what scripture (of course only the scripture for their "pet religion", you hypocrite) says.

Quote:
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.

You damn liar. It is not the Democrats who are so worried about "bathroom stuff". It is the conservatives, especially the self-named Alt-Right, who insist on adhering to an outdated, and not scientifically correct, binary gender idenfitication. The simple solution anyway for "bathroom stuff" as you cal lit is to adopt the method Ally MacBeal's office did: No urinals, everyone's in a stall all by themself and nobody is peering at anyone's "biological bathroom equipment".

Quote:
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.

You damn liar. Nobody is focued on what color everyone is. What people who are fighting for equal rights, sixty-six fucking years after the Civil Rights Movement in the United Began, is to be treated like an actual human being regardless of color, etc. The people who are so focused on color are not the Democrats; it's the bigots who tend to be conservative.

Quote:
Do stress more love for the country and the need to keep a strong military. Democrats USED to do that!

You damn liar. There is absolutely no proof that the Democrats do not love the country. The current president is not a Democrat and he always puts his own personal interests before that of the country. He also has lied to and defunded the military to an extent that readiness is seriously compromised on more than one front. Some Democratic office-holders have served in the military and some have been actual war heros. Your hero in the White House has abused war heros of both of the major parties.

Quote:
Pick some spending ( other than the wall & military) that they are against. Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.

You damn liar. The Democrats are not against the military. Your useless hero (and you're a damn liar if you say he's not your hero) in the White House now illegally defunded military programs to use on his "I Love Me" wall. Next, there are no "give away programs for those who don't want to work". Those who receive social assistance must be qualified for it and there is a limit on how long people may receive those. The incredibly vast majority (if not all) of those who are on social assistance would do better with a job and they certainly are not on the rolls because they don't want to work.

Quote:
Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions including those that follow the Quran.

You damn liar. Democrats hold that everyone, including Christians, have a right to freedom of religion. The Alt-Right is pretending that their pet stunts are rights which are being unjustly denied. Nope, that dog don't hunt. At least one important freedom of religion case was brought by plaintiffs who happen to be Christians. Democrats support the constitution of the United States. Just because your privileges have been cutailed does not mean your rights have been. In this case, it's actually the opposite: the curtailment of your privileges is actually protecting your rights along with the rights of everyone.

Quote:
Quit hating on all the rich folks. Most of them worked hard for their money and deserve every penny. And if they are going to keep demonizing them then at least be consistent and do it to celebrities too.

You damn liar. Even poor people work hard for their money. It's not the money that causes people to hate certain Republicans; it's their actions. Also, there are plenty of rich Democrats who, in case this escaped your notice, also earned every penny.

Quote:
Quit being against big business just because they are big. They provide jobs and services that collectively far outweigh the bad.

You damn liar. There are Democrats, Liberals, and other people on the left side of the political spectrum who own or are on the boards of big companies. It's not the size of the business that makes the left against them; it's what certain businesses have been doing. Some big businesses are good, some are bad. Again, that is not a function of size, but of behavior.

Quote:
Recognize that at least sometimes the white guy IS the GOOD guy. Support people based on their character more and based on what color or nationality they are less.

You damn liar. The Democrats are not the ones focused on race. And you want to talk about nationality? Hah! The way you say it shows how much of the problem you personally are. It's national origin, not nationality. As a white male, I don't get treated with the casual racism, for example, your hero in the White House displays towards Asian-Americans.

And, you damn racist scum, you're probably so stupid you can't figure out why I started every paragraph above the way I did. Here's a hint, you hypocrie--you're a hypcocrite because you certainly did, just like I along with other white person I know in America, benefited from those so-called socialist programs like free education, yet people of color are now being and very often in the past been denied those benefits--think about the number of syllables in "You damn liar". You damn lying racist.

Last edited by Monty; 05-15-2020 at 09:48 PM.
  #77  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 33,403

Tired of Republicans


Theme song for the thread.
  #78  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:12 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
One of the main reasons Dems can't keep power is because they are so prone to pander and placate the fringe radical leftist and get lots of the mainstream afraid that they would really focus on that stuff... and this time they are pandering to leftist harder than ever.

Yes... they would lose some hard left voters, but I'm betting that they would gain a lot of the middle if they:

Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff. Everyone has always understood who what supposed to go where.
Quit focusing so much on what color everyone is.

Do stress more love for the country and the need to keep a strong military. Democrats USED to do that!

Pick some spending ( other than the wall & military) that they are against. Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.

Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions including those that follow the Quran.

Quit hating on all the rich folks. Most of them worked hard for their money and deserve every penny. And if they are going to keep demonizing them then at least be consistent and do it to celebrities too.

Quit being against big business just because they are big. They provide jobs and services that collectively far outweigh the bad.

Recognize that at least sometimes the white guy IS the GOOD guy. Support people based on their character more and based on what color or nationality they are less.

These are the kinds of things that would make moderate voter / middle of the road folks more attracted to the Democrat party and could pull them away from Republicans.... But they will never do any of them.
Shut up.
  #79  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:38 PM
Try2B Comprehensive's Avatar
Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,854
Biden wasn't my first choice. I don't object to him, it is just that age seems to be catching up to him.

By the end of the primary I guess I had come around to Klobuchar, but I suppose I didn't seize enough lapels about her. So it is Biden instead.

I have gotten to the bottom of the major drawbacks with Biden already, while the list is bottomless with Trump. A case for Trump just can't be made by attacking Biden- even if it is true, Trump in every case is the worse person. Good luck with the negative campaign, rednecks!

You gotta understand my position going into this thing. The GOP rejects the science on climate change, and are therefore disqualified from consideration. It is as if they are not even in the ballot. I remain an independent, though a D registered one for primary voting purposes.

If the Rs were running HW Bush, I might vote for him. War hero, public servant, head of the CIA, Veep for 8 years- he could be dorky but it was hard to question his competence. But what the hell happened to the Rs? Now it is rampant cronyism and a culture of boot licking yes men. Shoot the messenger is the rule of the day. Competence itself is questioned, and many qualified people have been removed for having the honor and integrity to tell the truth. Think about that. Compare that to Lincoln's cabinet.

Still, I can give this administration a D+ for their virus response. There undeniably Was a response. They tanked the economy for one, why aren't you happy? Congress passed trillions in relief- I bet as the details dawn on me it will look worse and worse, but individuals and businesses did get money. A market crash was at least delayed, giving boomers a last chance to cash out. Lots of moronic moves too, but it isn't like there was no response.

Really I am tired too, of the lying, the denial of fact and evidence, the lying, the ignorance, the lying, the corruption and self dealing and the lying. Tired of the dying, too.
__________________
Above it isn't bright, below it isn't dark.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 05-15-2020 at 11:43 PM.
  #80  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:55 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 33,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
At what point do people realize that Republicans are bad at governing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
A whole lot of people already know this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Yes, practically everyone on this board is aware of it, yet Republican presidential candidates keep getting elected. I can't understand it.
I know, right?

And after I keep forbidding it.
  #81  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:52 AM
CastletonSnob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 318
I think we were heading towards a recession even without the pandemic, because of Trump's tax cuts and tariffs. The coronavirus will just send us towards a possible depression.

Imagine what Democrats could accomplish if they didn't have to spend their first term fixing the economy.
  #82  
Old 05-16-2020, 12:09 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Biden wasn't my first choice. I don't object to him, it is just that age seems to be catching up to him.
In different times, I'd want a candidate with some youth and vigor, and a fresh vision for the country - whatever that means.

But this is a no-brainer. Trump is an existential threat to the country. There's no reason to vote for anyone other than Biden. Period.
  #83  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:03 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the Land of Smiles
Posts: 21,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
...
Quit being so rabid for abortion up until the instant of birth.
Quit worrying so much about bathroom stuff....
Including so many Give away programs to people who don't want to work.
Be a lot quicker to realize and point out that CHRISTIANS have just a much rights to freedom of religion as all there other pet religions ...
Quit hating on all the rich folks.
...
Is this what Democrats look like from inside the FoxNews bubble?

Try changing the channel now and then. A brain is a terrible thing to waste.
  #84  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:08 PM
k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Is this what Democrats look like from inside the FoxNews bubble?

Try changing the channel now and then. A brain is a terrible thing to waste.
He'll just change it to OAN or the War Room.
  #85  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:39 PM
CastletonSnob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 318
"Quit hating on rich people".

You mean the rich people who exploit loopholes to get out of paying their taxes?
  #86  
Old 05-16-2020, 02:54 PM
Try2B Comprehensive's Avatar
Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
In different times, I'd want a candidate with some youth and vigor, and a fresh vision for the country - whatever that means.

But this is a no-brainer. Trump is an existential threat to the country. There's no reason to vote for anyone other than Biden. Period.
I don't know how you could read my post and think I was on the fence. I am simply not into make-believe and don't want to go into this with blinders. Not to put too fine a point on it, but lately I consider myself morally superior to most conservatives because the virtue of intellectual honesty is available to me, but apparently anathema to conservatives.

I don't like to leave things out. Partisanship makes people blind IMHO because they constantly have to twist their narrative to either make their party look good or the other guys look bad. The result is always a move away from the truth.

Look what slack-jawed morons most conservatives have allowed themselves to become by hitching themselves to blind partisanship. They are prepared to look at an avoidable mass-casualty event and subsequent depression, shrug and say it calls for a Mulligan. Rednecks have become so proud they think they can second-guess climate scientists, economists, doctors, physicists and so on, without being able to even muster up a scientific rebuttal at all, but just partisan nonsense.

I'm not going to be like that.
__________________
Above it isn't bright, below it isn't dark.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 05-16-2020 at 02:58 PM.
  #87  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:18 PM
drivekiller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
More like getting our asses kicked in November by guys (and not a few women) who seem to know the game a lot better than we do. ...
Most rosy-eyed view of the pandemic's effect on politics ever.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017