Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 AM

Gotta say, I知 loving sports with empty arenas

I watched the UFC event last weekend, and will again tonight. I loved being able to hear every hit, and understanding the verbal interactions between the corners, fighters, etc.

Now I知 watching the Dortmund-Schalke match and it痴 great to hear the game. In the European soccer leagues, I知 sure there are often at least a handful of languages being used. Quite frankly, I知 annoyed at the tv announcers who are constantly interrupting my enjoyment of this. It would be great to have some announcer-free games while we池e in this Covid period. I guess time will tell, but maybe crowd noise will become the 斗augh track of sports.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Way back in the 80s there was an NFL game with no announcers as an experiment. I think it was Jets-Dolphins in Miami. It was only 1 game and I don't think they really intended to do any more games . It was ok to me .
Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Announcerless_game

1980 - Jets vs Dolphins
Old 05-16-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Way back in the 80s there was an NFL game with no announcers as an experiment. I think it was Jets-Dolphins in Miami. It was only 1 game and I don't think they really intended to do any more games . It was ok to me .
Yes, I watched that game. I think what makes this different is the lack of normal crown noise. This allows for much clearer listening of the natural sounds of the game, plus the verbal exchanges. And now, with tv rules more relaxed on profanity as well as superior microphone technology, we could literally hear everything if we wanted. And there are probably some good marketing opportunities too. If you were a Dortmund fan, for example, wouldn稚 it be great if you could focus on your favorite players and hear what they are saying or hearing? Similarly, when baseball and American football start up, I壇 love to hear the on-field action for these as well.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

The NHL.TV streaming service has offered just the arena footage with no commentary, not sure if they do it for every game but it’s certainly not rare. It’s definitely interesting.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:01 AM

Sky Sports does something similar for Formula 1 on their streaming service in Europe (though I don't think it's available in the US), they call it "natural sounds".

I Found the announcerless NFL game on Youtube. It's interesting that the Wiki article says that they used more on-screen graphics than usual, but it's still very sparse by modern standards. Not even basic scoreboard info. What's the down and distance? How much time is on the clock? You never know.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar; 05-16-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
Sky Sports does something similar for Formula 1 on their streaming service in Europe (though I don't think it's available in the US), they call it "natural sounds".

I Found the announcerless NFL game on Youtube. It's interesting that the Wiki article says that they used more on-screen graphics than usual, but it's still very sparse by modern standards. Not even basic scoreboard info. What's the down and distance? How much time is on the clock? You never know.
I think the natural sounds stream is available on the F1 app in the USA, not sure if I had to pay for it or not
Old 05-16-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

You could probably get this effect even with crowds, just by using directional microphones and multiple sound feeds. That might be a good opportunity, after things return to normal, to let individual viewers check off boxes for whether they want to hear on-field sounds, sidelines, announcers, and/or fans.

Might not be able to turn off the announcers, since there are ad dollars involved there. Or maybe just have the no-announcers track still include the occasional "Welcome back to the Chevrolet Bowl, at Rocket Mortgage stadium", or whatever.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:56 PM

Meh, I've caught a few Bundesliga games this weekend, and, as you can imagine - eerie, individual voices. Echoing.
Finishing off their season - normally, this would have been the final frame of the fixture. FFS! Freaky.
Amazing how programmed I've been to expect the great WHOOP of 80,000 fans erupting as soon as the ball stretches the mesh, but instead, now - celebrationus interruptus - as the only sound is now the ball hitting that mesh, along with scattered, little whoops. I shouldn't be dispirted by this, but yeah, colour me gullible, whatever: in spite of the usual skillset* on display, the lack of spectators makes it feel like a practice.

Dortmund pretty looked good last night. Their stadium, though, the Westfalenstadion (one of the top ten footy stadia on the planet, IMO) was jarringly desolate - Where's my Yellow Wall?! Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quite jazzy "deception" dance Lewandowski took before his penalty goal this afternoon with Bayern against Union Berlin

* Er, well, some covid break rustiness was in play.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:21 PM

Missed edit - damn - missed Bundesliga thread further down.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
I watched the UFC event last weekend, and will again tonight. I loved being able to hear every hit, and understanding the verbal interactions between the corners, fighters, etc.
Interesting enough I find it makes WWE harder to watch because without the crowds reacting to the matches it just exposes the "fakeness" (for the lack of a better word) of professional wrestling.

Last edited by dorvann; 05-19-2020 at 06:18 PM.