Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 PM

87 year old raped and tortured. Assailant released in my old neighbourhood.

A person, and I use that term loosely, who sexually assaulted and tortured an 87 year old woman has been released after completing a fourteen year sentence in a federal penitentiary and is now back in my old neighbourhood.

When I first moved there, a youth was stabbed to death in my back lane the night that I arrived. When I made enough coin to move out of that neighbourhood, the fellow across my back lane was eviscerated that evening. For me, calling the police was routine. Once when I was in the toombs under the courthouse checking on my clients, a fellow begged me to represent him on an aggravated assault charge (he beat her to the floor and tipped a refrigerator onto her -- she took a knife to him after getting out from under the fridge) despite my having been the upstairs neighbour who had called the police on him in the first place. I was a junior on an appeal for a psychopathic triple murderer from that neighbourhood. It's not for nothing that TBay often vies with Winnipeg as Canada's city with the highest murder rate.

As with many rough neighbourhoods, most people in my old neighbourhood are are good, kind people. There are many elderly people and many young families, with the dregs of society interlaced throughout the neighbourhood, preying on the good people and leading the youth astray.

The last thing my old neighbourhood needs is a brain addled, dog burning, great-grandmother torturing, violent sexual psychopath.

He initially was released after serving two-thirds of his sentence, but breached his parole repeatedly. Now that he has finished his full sentence the Court has made what is essentially a very tight restraining order for him to keep the peace.

I realize that he must go somewhere. Our judicial region is a very big place, so surely he could be parachuted to the part of it where Manitoba and Ontario meet on the Arctic Ocean where the polar bears can keep his behaviour in line if he tries to either violently sexually assault them like great-grandmothers or burn them alive like dogs.

Original Court decision: R. v. Esquega, 2009 CanLII 4522 (ON SC), <http://canlii.ca/t/22f0w>https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...?resultIndex=1

Sureties to Keep the Peace: Criminal Code of Canada s. 810. https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/st...Peace__3696094
Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM

Please stay safe. Maybe get a decent sized dog if you like them.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 PM

I feel for you. I really do. I too would be very upset if this happened in my neighborhood.

I just have never heard of what else we are to do with these people. Jail them forever? Execute them? Drop them on an island and let them figure it out?

Unless you kill them they have to go somewhere.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-19-2020, 07:42 PM

I'm sure he will end up back in prison, hopefully someone doesn't have to get hurt for that to happen.