Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
It's called training because there are basically only two types of activity for the military: 1-combat, and 2-training. This isn't combat.
I'm not sure I agree, though. Combat readiness isn't either combat or training. These guys aren't combat pilots; they're air show pilots.

I was Army. When I was servicing ground controlled approach equipment on an operating airfield in Germany, I wasn't training; I was performing my job. The guys in the Hueys and Apaches were training, though. Except the guys in the Hueys testing my course and glidepath -- that's the job.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I've been to airshows that had flyovers of aircraft en-route to another air show. They don't do their full act but they'll make a series of passes that don't require pre-planning. I have no idea to what extent this is done but it makes sense to squeeze in what you can for any given trip.
Airshows are most frequently on weekends & usually not too proximal (otherwise they'd be cannibalizing the crowds). While it may have happened it's not very common to schedule a team to be at two airshows in the same day.
Sometimes, relatively new stealth aircraft fly into a show from a more secure location rather than be based at a base that was crawling with the public. I do remember one show that I worked at where they had a F-117 parked there but there was quite a buffer between the crowd fence & another, inner fence where the plane was. There was also a number of MPs with long guns, locked & loaded, in that buffer to ensure no on unauthorized got anywhere near that plane. Because I was working there, I talked to one of the MPs for a bit; he told me it was a no-shit detail, not a look good for the public one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
And as an aside, if there is an act like the Blue Angels that stays overnight then there is another layer of personnel that most people don't see. They are provided with a mobile group that oversees security. So if you're at such an airshow then you and the surround area are being monitored.
Again, only partially true. Yes, there is a team that goes with them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angels website
The Blue Angels' enlisted maintenance and support team is comprised of approximately 100 Sailors and Marines. Alternating crews of about 45 team members travel to each show site.
However, the personnel traveling with them are maintenance & support personnel. They don't have their own security team; that can be handled by local soldiers (or law enforcement/private security if overnighting at a public airport).

On another note, a RCAF Snowbird went down just after takeoff today, into a residential neighborhood in "Operation Inspiration", the Canadian version of saluting first responders & hospital workers. At least one person dead; sounds like the pilot (though he did eject)

Last edited by Spiderman; 05-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:16 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I'm not sure I agree, though. Combat readiness isn't either combat or training. These guys aren't combat pilots; they're air show pilots.

I was Army. When I was servicing ground controlled approach equipment on an operating airfield in Germany, I wasn't training; I was performing my job. The guys in the Hueys and Apaches were training, though. Except the guys in the Hueys testing my course and glidepath -- that's the job.

When you were doing your job there, you adhered to the training schedule. It was called that because the unit is in a training status (getting ready for combat). The air shows the pilots do, at least ostensibly, helps them maintain their qualifications for when they transfer.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Airshows are most frequently on weekends & usually not too proximal (otherwise they'd be cannibalizing the crowds). While it may have happened it's not very common to schedule a team to be at two airshows in the same day.
"proximal" is a relative term to a plane that can fly at 550 mph. Even their full show is only a fraction of an air show's schedule so they have the time to do some flyovers at other shows or events.

Quote:
Sometimes, relatively new stealth aircraft fly into a show from a more secure location rather than be based at a base that was crawling with the public. I do remember one show that I worked at where they had a F-117 parked there but there was quite a buffer between the crowd fence & another, inner fence where the plane was. There was also a number of MPs with long guns, locked & loaded, in that buffer to ensure no on unauthorized got anywhere near that plane. Because I was working there, I talked to one of the MPs for a bit; he told me it was a no-shit detail, not a look good for the public one.
I was at the first civilian air show that the F-117 was shown in the mid 80's. It was roped off during public display but I have a picture of it in front of the hanger they towed it to and it was well guarded even as it was towed.

Quote:
However, the personnel traveling with them are maintenance & support personnel. They don't have their own security team; that can be handled by local soldiers (or law enforcement/private security if overnighting at a public airport).
I don't know if I took pictures of the mobile unit or not but as I recall it was the FBI. It was a bit eerie to have a camera swivel over to your campsite while you're pointing at them in conversation.

Quote:
On another note, a RCAF Snowbird went down just after takeoff today, into a residential neighborhood in "Operation Inspiration", the Canadian version of saluting first responders & hospital workers. At least one person dead; sounds like the pilot (though he did eject)
That sucks, yes, it was one of the pilots Capt. Jennifer Casey.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Both occupants appeared to have ejected in the video I saw. The pilot, Capt. Richard MacDougall, survived although with serious injuries, but the Public Affairs Officer riding in the second seat, Capt. Jennifer Casey, did not survive. A sad ending of an extremely popular cross-country inspiration flight. I watched their 9 plane "diamond" formation fly over the nearby hospital complex a few days earlier.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:12 AM

So why was Canada also doing military flyovers (until recent events)?

Is this Trudeau's new plan to unveil Canada's new ultra-nationalist fascist regime?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
So why was Canada also doing military flyovers (until recent events)?

Is this Trudeau's new plan to unveil Canada's new ultra-nationalist fascist regime?
The Snowbirds are extremely popular in Canada, are seen as a proud national symbol, and fly performances for all major holidays and numerous airshows throughout the year. The latest cross-Canada tour was welcomed by Canadians as a national demonstration of appreciation, with flyovers of every major hospital across the country.