Old 05-19-2020, 10:14 AM

Annie Glenn has died. She was 100. (wife of John Glenn, astronaut, US Marine)

I just caught this on the news. Annie Glenn, widow of former astronaut and U.S. Senator John Glenn, dies at 100

I remember that scene from The Right Stuff when she, stuttering, tells her husband on the phone that the President, LBJ, insisted on visiting her, and John Glenn emphatically says to her that if she doesnít want him to visit then he will back her up 100% and heíll tell the NASA reps pressuring her to go take a hike.

And I remember saying to myself thatís the kind of husband I want to be.

Rest In Peace, Anna Margaret Castor Glenn.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Here is that scene from The Right Stuffhttps://youtu.be/YnjctxFyFLU.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Dangit. I really liked and respected her. Godspeed Mrs. Glenn.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM

actress who played Mrs. Glenn in that scene only did a few movies. She's the mother of Emily and Zooey Deschanel. LBJ was VP during that scene.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 05-19-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM

I remember that scene (which was also in the book by Tom Wolfe) and while yes, Husband John backed her all the way, it was Annie that first (and last) said no. Tough lady. It's our loss.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the link. I didn't know anything about her.

She had to be a very special lady.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 PM

God bless her, and her husband, they don't make em like that anymore.

Last edited by pool; 05-19-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 PM

In February I visited John Glenn’s grave at ANC, Arlington National Cemetery and took this video of his headstone >> https://imgur.com/gallery/MMTDlFJ.

The back of the headstone is blank, as it shows. Soon enough it’ll have Annie Glenn on it.

Like it does for Gus Grissom’s wife, Betty Lavonne, on the back of Gus’s headstone >> https://imgur.com/gallery/9982OP7

BTW, ANC has a very nice app where you look up gravesites of interest, and it’ll map them out and show your location relative to them. It helps you find them quickly.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 PM

Nice obit here, no paywall because it's part of their COVID coverage:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/19/u...sultPosition=1

"In 1982, a reporter for The Globe asked Mr. Glenn, who was then considering a presidential run, whether marrying someone with such a severe stutter had given him pause.

“That never really made any difference,” he said. “I don’t know, maybe it was just that we grew up together with it, and I knew the person she was and loved the person she was, and that was that.”
Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
actress who played Mrs. Glenn in that scene only did a few movies. She's the mother of Emily and Zooey Deschanel. LBJ was VP during that scene.
The Director of Photography for that scene was Caleb Deschanel, father of Emily and Zooey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Like it does for Gus Grissomís wife, Betty Lavonne, on the back of Gusís headstone >> https://imgur.com/gallery/9982OP7

BTW, ANC has a very nice app where you look up gravesites of interest, and itíll map them out and show your location relative to them. It helps you find them quickly.
I went to Arlington about 20 years ago to look for Grissom's and Chaffee's graves. I had to ask at the visitor center and they told me which section to look in. It took a little while, and there was something peaceful and contemplative about not knowing exactly where to go and having to search a bit.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I never saw the movie, and didn't realize she had speech difficulties. But that one scene in the movie makes me want to go out and get it to watch the whole thing. I wish all spouses supported their SO's like that. Johnson, if he was protrayed accurately, was an asshole.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 PM

She did amazing things for others with speech difficulties. Thank you, Mrs. Glenn. Rest in peace.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I went to Arlington about 20 years ago to look for Grissom's and Chaffee's graves. I had to ask at the visitor center and they told me which section to look in. It took a little while, and there was something peaceful and contemplative about not knowing exactly where to go and having to search a bit.
I also searched for the Iwo Jima flag raisers, all who are buried there, and a few others. It was a nice, contemplative Ďwalk through historyí way to spend a half day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
She did amazing things for others with speech difficulties. Thank you, Mrs. Glenn. Rest in peace.
Yes she did. Thank you, Mrs. Glenn.

Last edited by Bullitt; 05-21-2020 at 07:46 AM.