Old 05-13-2020, 03:29 PM

Which sports personalities do you like and dislike?

Why do people dislike New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, former New York Giants and Jacksonville Jaguars head coach/general manager Tom Coughlin?

Why is NBA superstar LeBron James disliked? Former NBA star Dwyane Wade, beloved?
Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM

Which sports personalities do you like?

Bill Lee, Mark Fidrych, Luis Tiant, Howie Kendrick

Which sports personalities do you dislike?

New York Yankees.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Why do people dislike New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Because he is a cheater, and even then, if not, people just naturally abhor someone who is 100% cunning and finds every possible way to beat you. Don't get me wrong, there's something admirable about someone who wins so often and is so extremely dedicated to defeating opponents, but it makes one's skin crawl too. His persona just makes him too Star-Wars-villain-ish.

Quote:
former New York Giants and Jacksonville Jaguars head coach/general manager Tom Coughlin?
I've read he is a strict and stiff type of person, but he never really struck me as a dislikable type. But then again I was never a Jags or Giants fan.

Quote:
Why is NBA superstar LeBron James disliked?
Sometimes you just win too much, but also, he is perceived as having an ego to match or exceed his talent (which I think is unfair, he actually seems a decent guy.) Then also, when he joined the Heat, and when asked how many titles they would win together, said "Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six........."

Quote:
Former NBA star Dwyane Wade, beloved?
Absolutely not, as a Spurs (and somewhat Mavs) fan, he is Public Enemy No. 1.

Well, after Ray Allen and Derek Fisher and Draymond Green........
Old 05-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs
Why do people dislike New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
I can't speak for most people, but for me, it was the way he dumped the New York Jets to take the Patriots job. In the mid-1990s, the Jets hired Bill Parcells as head coach as a package deal with Belichick in the understanding that Parcells would take the position for a few years to groom Belichick as a head coach and then the Jets would have Belichick to take over the job. Parcells retired, Belichick was named head coach, and then he immediately resigned (classily, he scrawled "I resign as HC of the NYJ" on a napkin) to take the Patriots job that he still holds, leaving the Jets high and dry.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 05-14-2020, 02:08 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

I can't stand Manny Machado. The guy starts fights (sometimes over nothing), like the time that got in a beef with Josh Donaldson after he (Machado) tripped and fell on his ass after a perfectly normal tag, or the time he threw a bat with the apparent intention of hitting the pitcher.

One of my favorite players is Sean Doolittle. He was with the Oakland A's when the team announced they were having an LGBTQ pride night. When some fans objected to this, Doolittle and his girlfriend Eirann Dolan offered to buy the tickets of any fans that didn't want to attend pride night. They donated the tickets to LGBTQ youth organizations.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Not much of a sports fan, but I greatly dislike Tiger Woods. Acknowledge he is hugely talented, but has consistently proven himself to be an asshole in various aspects of his life.

I used to be a big Bulls fan. It is interesting watching The Last Dance, to see some of the NBA players I used to dislike. Not sure I could name 10 current NBAers...
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Why is NBA superstar LeBron James disliked? Former NBA star Dwyane Wade, beloved?
James is disliked because of "The Decision." That was the worst PR move an athlete has ever made that did not involve committing a crime. Even going bacvk to Cleveland later didn't alter the fact that it imprinted a terrible impression in a lot of fans' mind. "Taking my talents to South Beach" succeeded, in six words, in turning off a few million fans.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
One of my favorite players is Sean Doolittle. He was with the Oakland A's when the team announced they were having an LGBTQ pride night. When some fans objected to this, Doolittle and his girlfriend Eirann Dolan offered to buy the tickets of any fans that didn't want to attend pride night. They donated the tickets to LGBTQ youth organizations.
That sounds like my man Sean! Straight, but not narrow.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
James is disliked because of "The Decision." That was the worst PR move an athlete has ever made that did not involve committing a crime. Even going bacvk to Cleveland later didn't alter the fact that it imprinted a terrible impression in a lot of fans' mind. "Taking my talents to South Beach" succeeded, in six words, in turning off a few million fans.
True but I think that hate has waned over the past 10 years. He went back to Cleveland and did right by the city winning the title, and has done some good work in the community.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM

Sidney Crosby- dirty player and Philadelphians cant stand how Pittsburgh Yinzers rub his Stanley Cups in our faces

Russell Westbrook- acts like he's tough then his boys get between him and the other player and he still shoots off his mouth

Jerry Jones- why do the cameras have to go to him 50 times a game?

Cris Collingsworth- was so totally pro-Tom Brady during the Super Bowl v the Eagles. Repeatedly still whines to this day about the Zach Ertz touch down.

Skip Bayless- well, everyone hates Skip Bayless

Donovan McNabb- complete choke artist that continuously makes passive-aggressive comments about Carson Wentz

Colin Cowherd- always trolls Philadelphia sports fans
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 PM

I think Lebron gets too much hate. The whole "Decision" thing...he was a 20-something making his first major contract decision. The age of social media had just started. It went to his head a little. So what?
Old 05-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Dislike: Cam Newton, Jose Mourinho, Tim Tebow, Tim Thomas, Johnny Manziel, RG III, Manny Pacquiao, Nick Saban, Lebron James, Deion Sanders

Like: Braden Holtby, Steven Gerrard, Greg Louganis, Tony Gwynn (RIP), Larry Fitzgerald, Brooks Robinson, Bill Bradley, Sebastian Coe

I’m sure I’ll think of more, but here’s a start. Yes, it’s easier to think of those you dislike.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I think Lebron gets too much hate. The whole "Decision" thing...he was a 20-something making his first major contract decision. The age of social media had just started. It went to his head a little. So what?
I lived in Ohio when Lebron was in high school. Hated him then, will always hate him.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Dislike: Cam Newton, Jose Mourinho, Tim Tebow, Tim Thomas, Johnny Manziel, RG III, Manny Pacquiao, Nick Saban, Lebron James, Deion Sanders
Emphasis added...

You hate Prime? But...but...

I do agree with much of the rest of your list...
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
He is the worst. First, he's ALWAYS in the camera's eye- he's some sort of proto-Trump character who has always been looking for any and all publicity he can get. And unfortunately, the media gives it to him, especially in the DFW area. The TV sports news and newspaper sports pages probably lead with Cowboys stories about 300 days a year, unless one of the other teams either wins a championship or is in serious contention. Then it's about 250 days a year. I'm pretty convinced that most of this is Jerry Jones deliberately leaking information to the press, not actual newsworthy stuff.

Second, he's the worst meddler I've ever heard of in professional sports. He's owner, GM and tends to get up in the coaching decisions as well. On one hand, it's nice to see an owner who's invested in the team and who wants to win, not just make money, but it's somewhat exasperating to hear about all his meddling nonsense when you're essentially subjected to Cowboys news year-round.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
He is the worst. First, he's ALWAYS in the camera's eye- he's some sort of proto-Trump character who has always been looking for any and all publicity he can get. And unfortunately, the media gives it to him, especially in the DFW area. The TV sports news and newspaper sports pages probably lead with Cowboys stories about 300 days a year, unless one of the other teams either wins a championship or is in serious contention. Then it's about 250 days a year. I'm pretty convinced that most of this is Jerry Jones deliberately leaking information to the press, not actual newsworthy stuff.

Second, he's the worst meddler I've ever heard of in professional sports. He's owner, GM and tends to get up in the coaching decisions as well. On one hand, it's nice to see an owner who's invested in the team and who wants to win, not just make money, but it's somewhat exasperating to hear about all his meddling nonsense when you're essentially subjected to Cowboys news year-round.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Old 05-15-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post

So, Jerry Jones is just like George Steinbrenner. A meddling owner. Gets the media and tabloid spotlight.

Jones and Steinbrenners' coaches can't breathe well under the spotlight. Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Joe Torre won titles under Jones and Steinbrenner by doing what they had to do, but the meddling was too much at the end and all three left.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Second, he's the worst meddler I've ever heard of in professional sports.
I was working in a Boston-area ad agency when Rick Pitino was coach of the Celtics. The team was one of our clients, and Pitino actually meddled in the advertising!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Emphasis added...

You hate Prime? But...but...

I do agree with much of the rest of your list...
I went to FSU when he was there. The talent is amazing, just always rubbed me the wrong way
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I went to FSU when he was there. The talent is amazing, just always rubbed me the wrong way
So did I*. The call-your-shot return against Clemson was...one of the greater moments in FSU sports history. I've also met him twice in non-media-related situations. In person, he's a charming, funny guy. Just don't call him Neon.

* I knew you were a 'Nole when I posted.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
So did I*. The call-your-shot return against Clemson was...one of the greater moments in FSU sports history. I've also met him twice in non-media-related situations. In person, he's a charming, funny guy. Just don't call him Neon.

* I knew you were a 'Nole when I posted.
Ms. P was at FSU then as well. She didn't follow football, though. The only sports personality I really don't care for is Pete Rose. I didn't like him even before the gambling thing.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:17 PM

I dislike Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco, both stained baseball, but you have to say that both of them are legendary to listen to explain the steroid era of baseball.

The LaRussa Athletics 1988-1992 club is tainted.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:35 PM

Formula One is going to be WAY less fun when Kimi Raikkonen retires (which I sense is going to happen within the next couple of years.)

Last edited by Lamoral; 05-16-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Formula One is going to be WAY less fun when Kimi Raikkonen retires (which I sense is going to happen within the next couple of years.)
Damn straight! Have you read his book of poetry? Priceless Kimi.

Seb Vettel runs me wrong for some reason. I'm sure he's a super nice guy off track. But he's been super whiny about all his own fuck ups.

I love murray Walker, Martin Brundle, steve Matchet, David Hobbs (met him irl, super nice guy)

I hate whatever that annoying weasely fuckface's name was who did the pit interviews for NBC sports. I think he announces f2.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM

My favorite moment of last year's F1 season, by far, was Kimi and the groundhog. I mean what other driver would not just get on the radio to announce the presence of "that animal running around", but also wonder out loud what the animal is supposed to be called? Every time he gets on that radio it's a guaranteed quote for the ages.

Edit - it just occurred to me, what other sport do we get to hear the participants constantly talking, during the competition itself? It's one of the things that makes racing more immersive than most other sports, to me at least.

Last edited by Lamoral; 05-17-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
"Taking my talents to South Beach" succeeded, in six words, in turning off a few million fans.
That was bad. I am also still waiting for him to 'educate' me as to why supporting Hong Kong pro democracy protesters was bad.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Because he is a cheater, and even then, if not, people just naturally abhor someone who is 100% cunning and finds every possible way to beat you. Don't get me wrong, there's something admirable about someone who wins so often and is so extremely dedicated to defeating opponents, but it makes one's skin crawl too. His persona just makes him too Star-Wars-villain-ish.

I've read he is a strict and stiff type of person, but he never really struck me as a dislikable type. But then again I was never a Jags or Giants fan.

Sometimes you just win too much, but also, he is perceived as having an ego to match or exceed his talent (which I think is unfair, he actually seems a decent guy.) Then also, when he joined the Heat, and when asked how many titles they would win together, said "Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six........."

Welker certainly is describing New England as a place where it’s hard for players to be themselves. As a media member, I can vouch that New England’s locker room usually doesn’t offer much insight or personality. Players appear reluctant, and almost afraid, to say anything worthwhile about an opponent, injury or an upcoming game. It comes from the top with head coach Bill Belichick, who simply wants to coach football and views anything else as a distraction.

Belichick doesn't like distractions.

He is old-school to the core.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Lebron is hated by many fans for many reasons:
- Anointed "The Chosen One" before he actually won anything or proved his worth
- Running away from Cleveland to hide under Pat Riley's skirt because winning a championship is hard and he was looking to get as many chips as possible while playing on easy mode.
- Conspiring with friends to change the structure of competition in the eastern conference so he (and they) could have an easy path to the finals every year.
- His "Decision" has created an era of NBA competition where the best players in the league no longer want to compete against each other. Instead they prefer to team up and create professional AAU squads that go around beating up on obviously weaker opponents.
- Declaring himself the GOAT after championship #3. One good finals series is not enough of an accomplishment to even be considered in the GOAT discussion
- Pundits putting forth bullshit argument after bullshit argument, regardless of resume, about how Lebron is the best to ever do it regardless of how many times he has failed or fallen short.

Quote:

As a Laker fan I am happy to see D Fish make the list!

I'll just leave this right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnAvhvfniw

Fisher with 0.4sec....

Last edited by BeagleJesus; 05-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
True but I think that hate has waned over the past 10 years. He went back to Cleveland and did right by the city winning the title, and has done some good work in the community.
All of the criticism of Lebron revolves around basketball. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that Lebron James is an excellent human being.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
All of the criticism of Lebron revolves around basketball. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that Lebron James is an excellent human being.
True. He is a better human being than Michael Jordan ever will be.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:

For Coughlin, most of the negative reaction is from former players. He's known to be really strict and hand out harsh punishments for really minor infractions.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...arning-players
Old 05-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
I admit my bias to hating him in high school due to the hype, the Hummer, and his obnoxious mother. I completely agree this is beyond petty on my behalf.

However, I lived in Ohio at that time and helped out in sports bar. His mug was all over tv. I swear even the channel 10 weather forecaster would mention Lebron.

When it was slow during the day, we’d keep one of the TVs on the Food network, these two elderly ladies would often come in and want to see something besides ESPN. I think that was my only escape from Lebron.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:46 AM

Love for Kimi Räikkönen has already been posted, but I have to back it up some more.

In a field of extremely polished, professsional drivers who do double-duty as advertising executives, his no-bullshit, mumble-it-like-it-is attitude has been a breath of fresh air. I wish his team was more likely to get him on the podium so he could be interviewed more.

He's also really aware of how awkwardly presents himself (which I'm told by Finnish friends is within normal Finnish parameters), and is happy to play along with people poking some fun at his attitude.

One of the more amusing clips I've seen is where, as a sergeant, he was drilling his squad. Everybody present was crisp but had a very hard time keeping a straight face. And for heaven's sake, he owns a karaoke bar. Can you imagine Kimi singing?