Old 05-20-2020, 02:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Having hooked back up, for various reasons, with Facebook

It used to be that I could keep in social contact with various groups and peoples by personally visiting said various groups and peoples, but Covidsolation has necessitated my return to Facebook lest I lose track completely. Holy crap! The amount of glurge passed along blindly by people that contain "I bet you", "I bet nobody", "I challenge those who really care..." etc. etc. et fucking cetera is like a field of guilt landmines, so I just posted the following to all and sundry:
Quote:
Note to all: If you need something from me, just ask. Do not dare me, do not challenge me, do not bet me, do not try in any way to intimidate or emotionally blackmail me. Above all, do not attempt do do any of these things in a post that was never yours to begin with, a post that I have already received from twenty other people that also have no idea where it originally came from. If YOU need a favor from me...just ask. Thank you.
I can't wait to see the reactions...and how many times the word "hater" pops up.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-20-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 AM

You're a braver person than me.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 AM

You're a brave but very sensible man! My newsfeed has been full of people doing their top ten list of things nobody else cares about, and sharing posts full of self-satisfied smirks because they've not set foot outside the front door apart from sneaking out in the middle of the night to put the bin out.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Just keep unfriending those who are overtly political, or constantly posting glurge (religious or otherwise). On the rare occasion someone posts the challenge stuff ("Are you brave enough to 'like" this?" or "I bet I won't get one like") I try to make it come true for them (and unfriend as well).

After a while, your feed will calm down to just kids, pets, and vacations. I like it better that way.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Comforting to know that it hasn't changed since I ran away from it, and that I am not missing out after all.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Note to all: If you need something from me, just ask. Do not dare me, do not challenge me, do not bet me, do not try in any way to intimidate or emotionally blackmail me. Above all, do not attempt do do any of these things in a post that was never yours to begin with, a post that I have already received from twenty other people that also have no idea where it originally came from. If YOU need a favor from me...just ask. Thank you.
Can you spot me a sawbuck?

mmm
Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Can you spot me a sawbuck?

mmm
You can stop by and pick it any time.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

So you joined FB ironically?

Okay, but your "Note to all" is every bit as eyeroll inducing as any of the "I betcha'" posts.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:24 AM

Scrolly wheel on your mouse works just as good on Facebook as it does on this message board.

I dare you to try it out!
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
So you joined FB ironically?

Okay, but your "Note to all" is every bit as eyeroll inducing as any of the "I betcha'" posts.
I expected the rant to end with "Repost if you agree with me".
Old 05-20-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Scrolly wheel on your mouse works just as good on Facebook as it does on this message board.

This.

Also, I unfollow people who post stuff like that. I don't actually unfriend them. I don't mind if they post to my wall, or message me. I might even look a their wall if someone else makes an interesting comment there. But I'm not interested in those posts. If I see one, and I remember your posting another like it, unfollow.

I have also returned to Facebook recently, and I've been pleasantly surprised. Lots of really good stuff there, as well as an easy way to keep up with a lot of people.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Hide Post (see fewer posts like this)
Snooze Friend [or originator of reposted glurge] for 30 days
Unfollow Poster (but stay friends) [or unfollow originator of reposted glurge]

IME most complaints about fbook feed content are from old people who don't know how to internet.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
IME most complaints about fbook feed content are from old people who don't know how to internet.
Exactly. While it's not one button simple, Facebook does give you pretty good control of your feed. It's pretty easy to get rid of the stuff that bothers you and maintain your feed in good shape.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 AM

I walked away from FB several years ago. I kept Messenger, and I don't miss FB. I don't miss the toxic people, either.

You can tell how much of a dinosaur I am when I say I miss AOL.

~VOW
Old 05-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Exactly. While it's not one button simple, Facebook does give you pretty good control of your feed. It's pretty easy to get rid of the stuff that bothers you and maintain your feed in good shape.
But I completely understand if people don't want to do that; they may not value what they would get on FB from the effort it takes to get it delivered in the fashion they want. That's cool. But it's not like all of us out here are putting up with garbage, spam, and fluff just to play a game or post pictures of our latest lunch.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
But I completely understand if people don't want to do that; they may not value what they would get on FB from the effort it takes to get it delivered in the fashion they want. That's cool. But it's not like all of us out here are putting up with garbage, spam, and fluff just to play a game or post pictures of our latest lunch.
Although it certainly takes less time to squelch the undesirable content than it does to complain about it.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Actually, it doesn't work anywhere near as well, with Flakebook's determination to force you into "top stories"

Last edited by Zyada; 05-20-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM

*poke*
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I can't wait to see the reactions...and how many times the word "hater" pops up.
If I posted something like that, the answer would be "zero". I have a largish list of friends on Facebook, and get a decent amount of likes/replies to things I post. I also have plenty of people on my feed that post glurge and "I bet you won't..." posts. But I can't imagine any of them would be so rankled that they'd respond to something like that.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Hide Post (see fewer posts like this)
Snooze Friend [or originator of reposted glurge] for 30 days
Unfollow Poster (but stay friends) [or unfollow originator of reposted glurge]
This. Hide Post also works for bullshit ads, like those "puzzle" things which have absolutely nothing to do with actual gameplay!

I use Facebook to keep track of family and (mostly) actual friends, not to play games. My feed has been much less cluttered after hiding game-related posts and Trumpteer bullshit from my SO's relatives.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-20-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 AM

Yes, Unfollow is your friend. If a particular Facebook friend is someone you want to stay on the good side of, you can always drop by their page on occasion and "like" something harmless they post, while avoiding a continual deluge of glurge.

Announcing on your own page that you're in a pissy mood is not a recipe for social media success.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Actually, it doesn't work anywhere near as well, with Flakebook's determination to force you into "top stories"
I forgot all about that. I just scroll through for a while until I get bored and then do something else.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

FBPurity has kept my feed pretty clean, and I've unfollowed the most annoying of my friends. That way, they can still track my fascinating life, including details of when I do laundry, and if they comment, I can reply.

Fortunately, I don't have a whole lot of friends, and most of them resist glurgey crap.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'll echo what others have said. If you have a bunch of glurge on your feed then you've friended a bunch of people who post glurge. Why did you friend and/or follow those people? You invited them in. Unfriend or unfollow them if what they post annoys you. Other than ads, Facebook isn't pushing any content on you.

Second worst to people who post glurge all day are people who are on Facebook and hate being on Facebook and would rather post about how people should act on Facebook rather than just culling their damn friends lists.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I walked away from FB several years ago. I kept Messenger, and I don't miss FB. I don't miss the toxic people, either.

You can tell how much of a dinosaur I am when I say I miss AOL.

~VOW
Maybe somebody can help me.

I had to get rid of Messenger because it was full of conservative "friends" using it to get around being unfollowed. The only crap I got from Messenger was links to videos with a vague "you got to see this" message. What's the point of unfollowing somebody if the same shit get sent to you via another route.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post

I had to get rid of Messenger because it was full of conservative "friends" using it to get around being unfollowed. The only crap I got from Messenger was links to videos with a vague "you got to see this" message. What's the point of unfollowing somebody if the same shit get sent to you via another route.
Just unfriend them. It's not really that difficult.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only crap I got from Messenger was links to videos with a vague "you got to see this" message.
Actually, that's a common approach for malware. Never open those video links without confirming from your friend that they really sent it.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
*poke*
You funny!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-20-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Just unfriend them. It's not really that difficult.
Wouldn't I then just start showing up in the suggested friends part and they would friend request me all over again. I'm better off just unfollowing them and deleting the messenger app. It seems stupid that facebook would put so much into pushing their messenger app only for it to undermine the functionality of their original product.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wouldn't I then just start showing up in the suggested friends part and they would friend request me all over again.
You can tell FB not to recommend them or allow them to friend request you again. Blocking will do that, there may be other ways.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:

That's either malware or bad "friends". More likely malware, because Facebook doesn't tell you "so and so has unfollowed you", so there's no way these people would know to send you private messages.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It used to be that I could keep in social contact with various groups and peoples by personally visiting said various groups and peoples, but Covidsolation has necessitated my return to Facebook lest I lose track completely. Holy crap! The amount of glurge passed along blindly by people that contain "I bet you", "I bet nobody", "I challenge those who really care..." etc. etc. et fucking cetera is like a field of guilt landmines, so I just posted the following to all and sundry:

Who are these people? Aren't most of your facebook friends people you know in real life? Maybe you just need better real life friends to follow on Facebook.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Who are these people? Aren't most of your facebook friends people you know in real life? Maybe you just need better real life friends to follow on Facebook.
It's strange because every time this topic comes up here, people always complain about all the crappy stuff they see on their Facebook feeds, as if they are Facebook friends with hundreds of people they don't even know.

I don't understand it.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:21 PM

Put "face book purity" in your browser and you can filter for all that stuff. You can even filter foh pictures of cats, dogs, babies or food.

I don't want anything except Messages and Chat, everything else is filtered/

Last edited by jtur88; 05-20-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 PM

I'm just glad to see fewer GIFs right now. Those things repeated into infinity, and I hid quite a few posts because of them. (You can't block them.)

I have also deleted a few people who were spamming the board, even in one case with things I agreed with, because I didn't know her personally AND I really don't need to see 50 posts a day. I got it, really, I.GOT.IT.

My mother posted by accident a while back, and then responded with the word "delete." I told her how to do that, and she did. She's just on there mostly to keep up with us kids, and some of her friends who are also on it.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

1. I was only talking about one type of glurge.
2. I've gotten nothing but support for my position online, to my surprise. Maybe others are getting sick of the "They are taking GOD out of our country. Most people are AFRAID to share this message" type posts, too.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 05-20-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
1. I was only talking about one type of glurge.
2. I've gotten nothing but support for my position online, to my surprise. Maybe others are getting sick of the "They are taking GOD out of our country. Most people are AFRAID to share this message" type posts, too.
Maybe you've blocked or unfriended everyone who disagrees with your position?

Old 05-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The #1 most Facebook reaction would be for people to repost your rant virally and unthinkingly.

The #2 most Facebook reaction would be for everyone to scroll past it because it's a lecture. Nobody reads Facebook lectures unless they're looking for arguments. If it's not a picture, nobody will read it. If it happened yesterday, nobody will remember it.

Facebook is for talking and spreading, not for listening and thinking.

The best advice I could give anyone is to unfollow every single one of your friends and groups except the ones you really want to hear from. It helps me avoid worrying my pretty little head over other people's drama and ignorance.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's strange because every time this topic comes up here, people always complain about all the crappy stuff they see on their Facebook feeds, as if they are Facebook friends with hundreds of people they don't even know.

I don't understand it.
If I didn't know anything about Facebook other than what I read on the dope, I'd assume everyone gets 200 friends assigned at random.

I'll admit I'm not super tight with everyone I know on FB. I've got some long lost college friends, some distant cousins, some friends of friends. But everyone is someone I've got at least some tenuous personal connection to, and more than half are people I see IRL on a regular basis. I've blocked a couple of people, but only a couple.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe you've blocked or unfriended everyone who disagrees with your position?

Naw...That only happens if you turn out to be a racist and/or sexist hate-filled shithead.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
The #1 most Facebook reaction would be for people to repost your rant virally and unthinkingly.
I'm not sure about that. I can't think of any other cases where someone said on the internet "I don't like this thing that other people like". We're kind of in unknown territory here.