Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 PM

Is my nieces wedding scheduled for July going to be allowed?

My niece has had her wedding planned for over a year. It's supposed to be in a rural area outside Pittsburgh with about 100 people on the last weekend in July. Will that be allowed?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:58 AM

Impossible to say. If they really can't wait to be married, if it was me I would start planning on a basic JP wedding, just sign the papers, and then make plans for another ceremony, party whatever in the future.

A lot of peoples lives are turned over right now. Many have no problem traveling now, many wouldn't do it. People that have lost their income may take a while to recover for instance. A friend or cousin that has to travel may not have the means to do so by July.

We rescheduled a vacation to Key West that my Wife had planned two years ago (and she presented it as a surprise for my birthday a few months ago). We'll go when things aren't quite so crazy. No big deal.

I know weddings require a great deal of planning though. Much more than a simple vacation.

I would start thinking about at least making plans to postponing it for everyone's sake. Regardless if it's allowed or not.

YMMV.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 AM
I was curious...

Friends of ours who had their wedding scheduled for 22 August 2020 have already bumped it to July 2021. Sensible move, in my view - it is possible that by July/August this sort of thing will be allowed, but the closer you get without any certainty, the harder/more expensive it becomes to change plans. I'd have done the same thing in their position, I think. It sucks, but what would suck more would be to pay out thousands of dollars on an event that in the end cannot take place. Never mind guests' travel arrangements and such.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:11 AM

I wouldn't choose to do it, even if it's allowed. I don't think it's a good idea to gather lots of people, including old people, right now. (Nor will it be a good idea in July.) I'd either postpone or do the ceremony virtually, and postpone the party. By next summer I expect we'll have better treatment and better testing/tracing capacity, and I think an event like that might be feasible.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 AM

I'm not a spokesperson for "Big Red", but I can say that viruses are traditionally dormant during the summer months, so there is a very good chance that the state will be opened up enough to allow for such an event. I do agree with those who say that, even if allowed, it probably isn't a good idea to have that large a gathering. In the end, though, everyone has to make their own choices as to when and how much.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I wouldn't choose to do it, even if it's allowed.
If it is "allowed" that doesn't mean people will attend. I'd postpone a year or do it virtually with a party on a date to be determined.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Friends of ours who had their wedding scheduled for 22 August 2020 have already bumped it to July 2021. Sensible move, in my view - it is possible that by July/August this sort of thing will be allowed, but the closer you get without any certainty, the harder/more expensive it becomes to change plans. I'd have done the same thing in their position, I think. It sucks, but what would suck more would be to pay out thousands of dollars on an event that in the end cannot take place. Never mind guests' travel arrangements and such.
Ummmm. My nice's wedding scheduled for 22nd August has just been moved to July 2021. Should we know each other?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, Australian authorities were fine with Bindi Irwin getting married* at their zoo back in March. They were going to have the ceremony outside until at least one helicopter paparazzi forced them inside.

*ETA: bride, groom, minister, best man, and immediate family. No other guests.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-18-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I might go ahead with a wedding that had 8-10 people attending, if things were looking reasonably safe. Not with a gathering of 100 including elderly relatives, though.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:24 AM
I was curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Ummmm. My nice's wedding scheduled for 22nd August has just been moved to July 2021. Should we know each other?
OK, I'll play - they've sent a new save the date for Saturday 3 July, 2021. Your turn!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If it is "allowed" that doesn't mean people will attend.
And that might depend on how they have to travel to get there. How many people would have to fly? Depending on where and how the wedding was set up, it might be the travel that's the biggest risk, not the gathering itself.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM

My nephew's wedding was set for September 2020, and in early April, they chose to limit the ceremony to the bride, the groom, and their parents. There are lots of disappointed but understanding family members. I kind of hope they take about 1/2 the money from their planned large and expensive wedding, and dump it into their students loans, and use the other half to throw a heck of a party in 2021.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
OK, I'll play - they've sent a new save the date for Saturday 3 July, 2021. Your turn!
30th July for me. Mildly disappointed, I don't know any dopers IRL.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
And that might depend on how they have to travel to get there. How many people would have to fly? Depending on where and how the wedding was set up, it might be the travel that's the biggest risk, not the gathering itself.
I have no say in whether they will go ahead with their wedding or not. Right now they are saying it is on, because according to them the venue will not return their deposit unless the state says such gatherings are not allowed. All elderly relatives have decided to stay home.

But we are low risk, so I'm trying to decide whether to buy plane tickets. They are very cheap right now and I'm so sick of this lockdown that I'd love an excuse to go anywhere.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:28 PM

I would have the wedding with only immediate family, like bride, groom, mothers and fathers and that's it.

Then six months or a year later, throw a wedding reception party.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 PM

My wife's niece is doing the full wedding thing July 18th. Church service, dinner, dance and drinking. Expecting several hundred family and neighbors.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 05-26-2020, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
My niece has had her wedding planned for over a year. It's supposed to be in a rural area outside Pittsburgh with about 100 people on the last weekend in July. Will that be allowed?
If invited, I'd be sending my regrets.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:14 AM

I have sent regrets recently to a similar family wedding.