Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM

so how do you all feel about Dirk Bogarde?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
so how do you all feel about Dirk Bogarde?
His name is ridiculously long

SPOILER:
Derek Jules Gaspard Ulric Niven van den Bogaerde

but he had a great 5 year run with The Damned, Death in Venice and The Night Porter. He was the kinder and gentler Bogie.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM

So Mr. Bogart had a great personality, LOL?.....Ugly as sin in my opinion, though I love his movies.

Some film blog deemed him the Greatest Actor of All Time. I disagree, (I think Cary Grant was; he could do it all, comedy, drama, dark and light.) Humphrey Bogart was much more one-note: tough guy, film noir, gangster...but what he did, he did extremely well. He had star quality, and you don't need to be pretty to have that. (plus Lauren Bacall <3 .... that did a lot to make him more appealing to the public, 'such a young beautiful woman in love! So romantic!' Beauty and the beast, she simply had to see his inner charms, lol.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
So Mr. Bogart had a great personality, LOL?.....Ugly as sin in my opinion, though I love his movies.

Some film blog deemed him the Greatest Actor of All Time. I disagree, (I think Cary Grant was; he could do it all, comedy, drama, dark and light.) Humphrey Bogart was much more one-note: tough guy, film noir, gangster...but what he did, he did extremely well. He had star quality, and you don't need to be pretty to have that. (plus Lauren Bacall <3 .... that did a lot to make him more appealing to the public, 'such a young beautiful woman in love! So romantic!' Beauty and the beast, she simply had to see his inner charms, lol.
Some of us do NOT think Bogart was "ugly as sin". And it's very insensitive of you to refer to Lauren Bacall as a beast.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post

I got the hots for Cary Grant [so did my mom ...] but there is something compelling about Bogart. He had a presence, a way of filling the air. He walked with a certain assuredness and held himself well. Not pretty boy handsome like Errol Flynn, but very compelling nonetheless.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cary Grant?

Craig Stephens got the job of Peter Gunn because he resembled Grant.

Cary Grant.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
You don't have to be handsome to be attractive. Bogart was not conventionally handsome but he was very attractive. He starred alongside some of the most glamorous leading ladies of the era, and it was considered entirely plausible that they would fall for him. Then of course you have the real-life example of Lauren Bacall, who was immediately attracted to Bogart and married him, staying married for the rest of his life.

Liam Neeson is a current actor who is not at all handsome, but nonetheless is regarded as very attractive.
Agreed that Bogart wasn't conventionally handsome, but he sort of acted, consistently, as if he was. Massive amounts of confidence. And it worked.

Liam Neeson is conventionally handsome though, and tall and buff (for his age) - Bogart didn't have that going for him, but sometimes people forget how much the rest of the body counts, not just the face.

It's more like Alan Rickman. Apart from his voice (and he looked like he was tall), there's nothing about him that's conventionally attractive. But man, lots of women find him very attractive.

Like Enter the Flagon said, Bogart did have a lovely voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Well, the script of African Queen had to be rewritten for Bogart because he was unable to perform the Cockney accent that was originally intended.
I much prefer when directors do that, within reason, rather than have actors do accents they can't reasonably do. Either recast the role or change the role.